main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Candles Against the Sea (JA Qui/Obi Drama) *COMPLETED* replies 8/15 Thanks to my readers!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by maychorian, Mar 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Awww that was touching! He was teasing but then worried that something had happened! Well in a way it had, Obi didn't tell him about the knee.

That was sweet seeing them playful there.

Great work!

2. LuvEwan

LuvEwan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    ?I?m not afraid of you, Master. You just . . . surprised me. Turning toward me like that. Jedi reflexes. And I know you?re a lot stronger than I am.?

That was so touching. [face_blush] This might be my favorite post so far. :) And be careful with your wrist.

3. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    Just letting you know I"m still here :D Darth Real Life has been hectic for me this week but I'm still reading! Great job poor Qui ...so happy there for a bit then something ruins the moment.

Excellent! Can't wait for more -- and take care of yourself!

4. Jemmiah

Jemmiah Jedi Master star 5

Mar 5, 2000
    ROFLOL at Nibbi actually thinking Obi really had stollen his nose!!! I loved that bit so much I had to re-read it several times - and it made me laugh each occasion! :) Such a shame that Nibbi wanted to return to his 'home' rather than meet with Nilla. Also really enjoyed the way Qui-Gon compared the two youngsters and realised how alike they are! And the bit at the end discussing Obi-Wan's injury was just perfect too. :D

5. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    Poor kid was so young and guilible that he thought Obi-Wan stole his nose- cute, but sad

6. maychorian

maychorian Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 7, 2005
    Kynstar That was sweet seeing them playful there.

Glad you liked! I enjoy writing silly banter.

LuvEwan And be careful with your wrist.

I get to wear a brace now, which makes typing a bit difficult. Not that I'm going to stop.

Layren Great job poor Qui ...so happy there for a bit then something ruins the moment.

How did I know that your comment would focus on Qui? LOL.

Jemmiah I loved that bit so much I had to re-read it several times - and it made me laugh each occasion!

:D I feel so vindicated! I love that bit too. It's just so . . . Nibbi. Unintentionally adorable, that's him all the way.

PadawanKitara Poor kid was so young and guilible that he thought Obi-Wan stole his nose- cute, but sad

Sad? I guess it is. Most little kids I know would simply roll their eyes at that trick. But Nibbi has been alone for so long that he can't remember being played with by an adult or only child--his contact with those older than himself has only been hurtful. Little wonder, then, that he latched onto Obi-Wan so quickly and completely.

Thanks, everyone! I haven't been keeping up with my reading, I know. Besides not having unlimited internet access, I also came down with a cold. Didn't have a single sickness all school year . . . just on break. Sigh. Somehow it seems rather a good summation of my life this year. :)

Enjoy the next part! Revelations all 'round. I've almost caught up with myself now.

7. maychorian

Jan 7, 2005
    Candles Against the Sea
    Chapter 8: Alleviation

Once again Qui-Gon was tending his exhausted Padawan?s bruises before sending him off to bed. He hoped this wasn?t going to become a habit. He didn?t know how much of this he could take.

?Nibbi?s a sweet little boy, isn?t he?? Obi-Wan remarked suddenly.

Qui-Gon glanced up from the Padawan?s knee, his eyes trailing slowly over Obi-Wan?s bruised and torn knuckles laying limp in his lap. He remembered Nibbi?s wide dark eyes, sad and hopeful and amazed, the tender, hesitant way he had brushed his little fingers over those bruises.

?Yes,? he said slowly. ?I can see why you want to help him so much.?

He looked back at the knee, probing it with the Force. A few ligaments had been strained, and all the walking afterward had not helped. He should have insisted that the boy allow himself to be carried. Qui-Gon might not be able to ease it enough with the Force?perhaps they should visit a real Healer, or whatever Sylelius had that passed for one.

Obi-Wan, sitting sideways on the couch with his leg stretched out for the Master?s inspection, shifted against the cushions, then stilled his fidgeting with a frown. ?It isn?t right,? he blurted. He blushed at Qui-Gon?s curious stare. ?Nibbi, I mean. Why would anyone want to hurt him? I don?t understand.?

Qui-Gon ran his fingers gently over the injured knee, watching Obi-Wan?s face. The boy didn?t quite wince, but the shadows in his eyes deepened almost imperceptibly, and his mouth twisted in chagrin when the Master withdrew.

?Sometimes it is better that we do not understand,? Qui-Gon murmured. ?You do not want to be intimately acquainted with hatred, fear, indifference or wanton destructiveness, and that is what you would need in order to comprehend such darkness.?

?You?re right, Master,? Obi-Wan said soberly. ?I don?t want to understand that.?

Qui-Gon studied his face, again displeased by those persistent shadows. The boy should not be this utterly exhausted. Was he coming down with something? Qui-Gon did not detect anything, and the Force whispered no warning of physical danger, no matter how he strained his ears to listen.

Well, if he couldn?t heal the knee completely, he could at least do something about that new scrape beneath the un-blackened eye, red and swollen, from the street youth?s extended fingernails grazing by. But when he reached out to touch his cheek, Obi-Wan shied away. Qui-Gon looked at him in puzzlement, and the boy shook his head with a rueful smile.

?No, Master. You?d better not heal that one. People on Onorda Street will find it awfully strange that a street kid?s bruises disappeared overnight. Can?t have even more people realizing that we?re Jedi. Same with my knuckles.?

Qui-Gon dropped his hand with an annoyed sigh. He should have realized that. He was letting his concentration slip?disliking his Padawan?s battered appearance and wanting to fix it without giving a thought to the consequences. ?Yes,? he grumbled, pushing that away. ?And the names ?Quig? and ?Obi? will never be connected with Qui-Gon Jinn and Obi-Wan Kenobi, the first Jedi to visit Sylelius in the better part of a century.?

Obi-Wan grinned. ?Why, Master! I didn?t know you concealed such depths of sarcasm! ?

Qui-Gon gave him a mock-glare, glad that the teasing was back. The boy was very resilient, obviously. It would be a pleasure to explore this new facet of their relationship?he looked forward to it already.

The Padawan sobered suddenly. ?Most people see what they expect to see,? he said softly. ?On Onorda Street, they see two wanderers, down on their luck. In the President?s chambers, they see two noble Jedi. But almost no one sees two names, two people, individuals with their own lives.?

?That?s true, Obi-Wan.? Qui-Gon recognized ancient Jedi wisdom, but was impressed by Obi-Wan?s ability to apply it to their unique situation. Again the Padawan was teaching the Master. ?Well, may I at least tend your knee? Since apparently you are the one giving the orders now.?

?Oh, please, yes,? Obi-Wan

8. Kynstar

Mar 2, 2004
    Awww that's so sweet! Master/Padawan mush!

Sweet Obi has a plan for Nibbi :) I hope the lil one can get used to Nilla. I think she'd take good care of him. But of course the youth thinks he can take care of himself. Poor kid... shame cuz there are those like that all around :(

Great chapter! Got to see the lil insecurity of Obi and Qui soothing the young man's fears.

9. Bekah_K

Bekah_K Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 3, 2002
    Wonderful interaction between Qui and Obi. I liked that Qui reached out to him and prodded him to let go what was bothering him - now, if Qui can only get to that box Obi had hidden within him. That may take awhile, but at least they have taken the first step. :)

Can't wait for more! :)

10. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Oh, the boy sounded so very young and hopeful. It ignited an ache in Qui-Gon?s chest, strange and sweet and sad. He fought it away with a shake of his head, giving the knee a gentle squeeze. ?Truly, Obi-Wan. Truly. Now let go, young one. I know you?re tired.?

Oh, Master/Padawan mush. Gotta love it. The whole thing was so sweet, that Obi-Wan was concerned about the fight. Nicely done!

11. jodiwent

jodiwent Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2000
    Seems like things are coming to a head here. Obi's starting to open up a little. They will find out what's going on with the president's daughter, and Obi's got a plan for Nibbi.

What could possibly go wrong? ;)

12. PadawanKitara

Dec 31, 2001
    cute mush

he is volunteering? I thought he was checking out the clinic as a potential place to send the kid for help.

13. LuvEwan

Mar 24, 2002
    Another sterling chapter, maychorian. I loved the talk between the toe. It was so sweet, but not overly so. Great job again. :)

14. Padawan_Katalin

Padawan_Katalin Jedi Youngling

Feb 25, 2005
    I really like this story!

Poor Obi, he is injured. I hope Qui can heal him, and not just his knee, his heart too.
    And I hope that they can find a new home for Nibbi :)( such a sweet child he is ).

15. maychorian

Jan 7, 2005
    Kynstar I hope the lil one can get used to Nilla. I think she'd take good care of him.

And their names even sound good together, like some kind of dessert! I didn't plan that, honest.

Bekah_K That may take awhile, but at least they have taken the first step.

Unfortunately, Qui-Gon isn't even aware of it!

diane The whole thing was so sweet, that Obi-Wan was concerned about the fight.

I think he's grown up quite a bit from the hot-headed initiate who always leapt into fights. :) Qui-Gon's influence, no doubt.

jodiwent What could possibly go wrong?

:D Oh, soooo much . . .

PadawanKitara he is volunteering? I thought he was checking out the clinic as a potential place to send the kid for help.

Obi-Wan's been refining his goals as he goes along. Explanation coming up.

LuvEwan I loved the talk between the toe. It was so sweet, but not overly so.

Oh good! I get tired of fanfic that's over the top with the sweetness, though you need some! (Read: a lot. Just not too much.) Glad I balanced it well for you.

Padawan_Katalin I hope Qui can heal him, and not just his knee, his heart too.

Well, first Qui-Gon has to learn that there are wounds . . . Worry not! All will be revealed in time!

Thanks, all! This next chapter feels a little choppy to me, so I hope it reads okay. It's dedicated to all the Qui-lovers! You'll see why.

16. maychorian

Jan 7, 2005
    Candles Against the Sea
    Chapter 9: Preparation

Qui-Gon had excused his Padawan from the morning meetings to let him catch up a bit on his studies and katas . . . and to avoid Ambassador Grenik seeing his new bruises. The Jedi Master felt a taut little smile rise as he remembered the ambassador?s just-short-of-hysterical reaction when the Padawan appeared that first day with a faint-but-large bruise. Fortunately, most of the Sylelians had seemed to accept the Jedi?s attempt to pass it off as a training mishap. President Hindegar had simply grinned broadly and quoted some local saying about boys being boys. But a couple of the councilors had definitely looked at the Master a bit askance, and he had suspected that they were thinking the same as Obi-Wan said his friend at the clinic would.

No, far better to avoid another scene like that. They would finish their observation on Onorda Street today, then heal those bruises and go somewhere else. Qui-Gon lifted his chin, casting his senses out as he entered the park. There, on some play equipment?his Padawan twisted and swung, laughing, using the Force to push his little friend farther and faster. Nibbi?s giggles rang high and loud, above the laughter of the other children.

By the Force, they were beautiful.

Obi-Wan sensed his approach and reluctantly let the swinging, twisting apparatus glide to a halt, slowing it telekinetically. Blue-green eyes were a bit dazed?Qui-Gon hoped the thing didn?t induce nausea. Nibbi seemed all right, still giggling quietly, dark eyes sparkling. But the Jedi Master was well-aware of how susceptible his apprentice was to anything that had the remotest possibility of causing queasiness. The boy even got motion-sick in hyperspace, sometimes.

?Hi, Quig,? Nibbi said, a little sadly. ?Is it time to go already??

?Not quite,? Qui-Gon said gently. ?I thought I?d join you for a bit, if that?s all right??

Obi-Wan gaped at him, completely blown away. Nothing they had done in the past six months had prepared him for this. ?You . . . you want to . . . play with us??

?I would indeed, if you have no objections.?

Nibbi bounced excitedly in his seat. ?Yeah! Wow, Quig, you?re the bestest uncle I ever met!?

?Thank you, little one.? Qui-Gon grinned, but looked to his apprentice. ?And do you object??

Obi-Wan still looked dazed, and the Master supposed he had a right. He?d just tossed the boy for a ride far more unexpected and dizzying than anything legal play equipment could provide. ?No, M-my uncle. Wh-what would you like to do??

Qui-Gon passed a critical glance over the park. Letting a smile spread across his face like widening morning sunshine, he pointed toward the simple obstacle course a dozen meters off. ?Think you can beat me getting through that??

It wasn?t quite fair, pitting a Jedi Master against a Padawan and a non-sensitive child, so Qui-Gon and Nibbi teamed up. Something new?but familiar in a lost-and-found sense?bubbled in Qui-Gon as he ran through the course, boosting Nibbi over the low wall, dancing through the foot-entangling part with the child on his shoulders, crawling under and around the soft wires, gently swinging Nibbi on the thick rope he was too tall to use. It took him some time to identify the strange sensation. Joy.

Obi-Wan won, leaping off the twisting balance beam with an entirely unnecessary but very lovely Force-enhanced flip, but it was a near thing. And then the three collapsed in the grass, laughing, mimicking each other?s humorous movements and sounds during the race in gestures and ridiculous faces. Qui-Gon leaned on his elbows?grinning, pushing long sweaty hair out his face, and most definitely not panting, because no Jedi Master would be put out of breath by such a simple exercise. He was part of the childish fun this time instead of observing it from the outside, and he felt young for the first time in many, many years.

Too soon, he had to spoil it all. ?You know, Nibbi,? he began cautiously, gently, ?Obi and I are almost finished with our business on Onorda Str

17. Kynstar

Mar 2, 2004
    Awww that was indeed great and fun!! How sweet of Qui to play with them! [face_love]

Poor Obi :( I liked the ceremony with the candles - one for her and one for Bruck.

Awesome chapter! :D

18. Princess_Arulmozhi

Princess_Arulmozhi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 16, 2004
    Lovely. Qui-Gon took some time off to be a kid again - and actually enjoyed himself (only to be a expected!)...and then the 'remembering the loved ones' bit...

Sigh. beautiful. :)

19. PadawanKitara

Dec 31, 2001
    How sweetp the one for Bruck was unexpected

20. LuvEwan

Mar 24, 2002
    I loved Qui-Gon offering to play with them, and Obi-Wan's resulting shock.

And the end of the post was so sweetly sad. So beautiful. :)

21. tangled_sphere

tangled_sphere Jedi Master star 4

Dec 28, 2003
    I have fallen behind, but I will catch up soon :)

22. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004
    Beautiful
    Showing Obi's compassion even for Bruck.
    I knew it, he doesn't have a mean bone in his body.
    Lets hope "Quigi" realises it. and realises the
    ache in his heart. Is love for his "son"

23. Jemmiah

Jemmiah Jedi Master star 5

Mar 5, 2000
    That was lovely! A nice gesture of Obi-Wan's to honor Bruck, too, considering the horrible way he treated Obi when he was around. I loved how Qui-Gon wouldn't refuse him the chance to pay his respects to them both. And at the risk of echoing everyone else, the scene where Qui wanted to play was fantastic - especially Obi's reaction! I could almost hear his jaw hitting the ground! :D

24. jodiwent

jodiwent Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2000
    I agree with everyone about the candle for Bruck. I was not exspecting that.

This continues to be an excelent story!

25. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    That was lovely. I liked that Qui-Gon felt like a kid again if only for a brief time. The candles to remember both Cerasi and Bruck were a lovely touch.

Good job.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.