main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Candles Against the Sea (JA Qui/Obi Drama) *COMPLETED* replies 8/15 Thanks to my readers!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by maychorian, Mar 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bekah_K

Bekah_K Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 3, 2002
    I guess Obi-Wan still can't accept that things are changing between himself and his master. :(

I liked the way he quieted the side of him that fought against the warmth and affection that Qui-Gon was giving and melted into it instead, allowing himself this one time of enjoying the feeling of being loved and cared for by his master. :)

2. -Darksaber-

-Darksaber- Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 22, 2005
    *sobs*
    Beautiful.

3. jodiwent

jodiwent Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2000
    I can only repeat what everyone else is saying : Beautiful.

I'm looking forward to more.

4. maychorian

maychorian Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 7, 2005
    LuvEwan Man, I wish I'd written that.

[face_laugh] You have NO idea how often I've thought that when reading your stuff! Anyway, thanks. I hope it keeps getting better.

Princess_Arulmozhi Love mush.

:) More coming right up! Not Qui/Obi, though. They haven't quite made it. :(

PadawanKitara But the last lines were sad- how could he think that it was all an illusion?

It is sad, I agree. Obi-Wan has convinced himself that Qui-Gon could never care for him as more than a student. And it's to take a lot more than a little low-grade mush to convince him otherwise.

Gkilkenny Yes, I agree Obi-Wan is so entrenched in believing
    he is unworthy, he cannot see that Qui-Gon does actually care for him.

::nod:: That's a good evaluation of the situation, yes.

Bastet

You're welcome!

tangled_sphere You just have a way with imagry, that I want to have beautiful piano music in the background when I read this!

Thanks! You encourage me to take more care with my imagery--a couple time in the writing of this next chapter I was just going to go with the first thing I wrote, but then I thought, "No, I can come up with something better." It's hard when describing urban settings though--it was easy to use lovely imagery out on the ocean.

KSkywalker May we please have more?

Someday. :D

Jedi_Tigris Obi-wan and Qui-gon just need to show how they feel for each other.

Exactly! But they're men, and men don't talk easily . . . sigh.

Kynstar Obi taking advantage and soaking up the affection Qui's giving him. Shoot I'd stay in the man's arms too!

Mmm. Me too. ::snuggle:: [face_love]

Bekah_K I liked the way he quieted the side of him that fought against the warmth and affection that Qui-Gon was giving and melted into it instead, allowing himself this one time of enjoying the feeling of being loved and cared for by his master.

Yeah. :) Poor Obi is just so tired of fighting all those bottled feelings . . . he let himself take a break. But now he's going to go right back into full stuff mode. :( I'm so mean! But it's the way I see Obi-Wan's character.

-Darksaber-

Thank you! [face_blush]

jodiwent

And thank you! :) I'm glad my little bit of writing can make the world just a slightly happier place.

Thanks for all the reviews, everyone! And is that . . . a new reader? I think it is! ::does happy dance::

See what happens when you motivate me? Less than a week on this one! I apologize for any errors still in there. I didn't take my usual care in re-reading it three or four times.

5. maychorian

Jan 7, 2005
    Candles Against the Sea
    Chapter 12: Evaluation

?I can?t go in there.?

Obi-Wan looked down at his little friend. Nibbi?s small hands were wrapped around the young Jedi's forearm, just above the wrist. They were shaking faintly, reminding Obi-Wan of the dusty wings of night-flying insects

The two boys had been standing outside the clinic for ten or fifteen minutes, just watching residents of Onorda Street pass in and out of the small, unassuming building. Obi-Wan had wanted to give the homeless child time to work up his courage, but it appeared that he had only grown more nervous. Just then a young mother walked into the clinic, cradling her five-year-old son in her arms. The gentle swelling of her abdomen indicated the reason for this visit.

?Hey, I bet that little boy will be waiting in the children?s room,? Obi-Wan said, pointing at the little family disappearing inside the double doors. ?You?d have lots of fun playing with him.?

Nibbi hid his eyes against the Padawan?s upper arm. ?Can?t,? he squeaked out.

Obi-Wan gently cupped the little one?s chin with his free hand and turned to face him, dropping to one knee. In this position Nibbi?s head was a bit higher than Obi-Wan?s, but he ducked his head as if to diminish and hide himself.

Obi-Wan dipped his own head to maintain eye contact. ?What is it, Nibbi? What?s wrong??

Nibbi hunched his shoulders. ?I don?t belong in there. I can?t go in.?

?Of course you belong, little friend. This clinic is here just for people like you.? He paused, studying the downcast eyes and trembling lips. ?Why do you think that, Nibbi?? he asked softly. ?What makes you different from that other little boy??

?I . . . ?m dirty.?

Obi-Wan blinked. He?d forgotten?after an initial struggle to ignore the grime caking the little one?s face and hands, to see beyond that to the deserving child hidden behind the filthy vrelt, he had forgotten all about it. ?Oh. Well, I suppose you are.?

He lifted his own hands, looked critically at the dirt that had transferred, the residue of sweat dried in the faint crevices that would deepen with age and harden with training. ?Looks like you?ve rubbed off on me a bit.?

He meant it as a joke, but the little boy did not take it as such, and Obi-Wan?s smile vanished as Nibbi?s face seemed to fall even further. ?Oh, Nibbi, it?s not that bad,? he said hastily. ?It?s pretty hard to be squeaky-clean when you?re living in an alley. It just makes us look like brothers, remember? Don?t worry. Nilla is used to homeless people coming in. A little dirt won?t hurt a thing.?

?But what if . . . what if someone makes fun of me??

The Padawan hesitated, looking at his little friend with his head tilted slightly to one side. Perhaps he was going about this the wrong way.

?Tell you what, Nibbi . . . there?s a ?fresher just off the lobby. Why don?t we go in and clean up a little? Then you can look in the mirror and see for yourself whether you look any different than that other little boy.?

Nibbi drew a deep, doubtful breath, then nodded. Obi-Wan smiled and rose to his feet, extending a hand. His smile broadened when the little hand slipped into his without the slightest hesitation.

In the refresher, Obi-Wan wet a couple of disposable towels, and the two boys took their time washing their face and hands. The young Jedi was touched by Nibbi?s diligence and enthusiasm in this task, and a bit saddened. After a time he gently removed the now-worthless towel from the little one?s hand and again knelt to face to him.

?Did I miss anything, Nibbi??

Nibbi looked him over with small, wrinkled brow and pursed lips. He touched the side of Obi-Wan?s face, next to his right ear, and a patch of skin on his forehead. ?Here, and here.?

Obi-Wan wet another towel and handed it to him, and Nibbi obligingly scrubbed the offending spots. Then the child shyly asked the same question. His forehead was still wrinkled, but in worry now. Obi-Wan washed the spots Nibbi had missed, carefully and tenderly, praising the job he had done.

With Nibbi?s

6. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    The last post was lovely. I especially liked that Obi-Wan could not accept that his Master might be harboring more tender parent-like feelings for him.

And this post, you have the foreboding of potential problems. The daughter could get into trouble since her father loves her so much - she is a target for seedier groups to use as a tool for manipulation.

Great job so far. I have been following it though I don't have much time on the boards these days. Looking forward to more.

7. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Hey great job once more Padawan! :D

I liked how Obi helped soothe Nibbi ;) (now I know where ya got the name, eh?) Hopefully now he'll be able to be taken care of. Though of course he'll be scared and worried for a lil while.

I agree with diane there about the daughter. That sounds like it could open a can of worms, even with the security being with her. Doesn't take much to take out folks if one is willing and truly determined enough to do it. [face_worried]

Excellent work!

8. -Darksaber-

Mar 22, 2005
    Great post. I especially liked that Obi-Wan called Nibbi "little brother". More please, I'm enjoying this tremendously.

9. LuvEwan

LuvEwan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    Obi-Wan and Nibbi's relationship is so sweet and real. I love how you've written it, may. But I don't like where the second half of the post might be heading... [face_worried] More trouble for our heroes, methinks!

Still loving it. ;)

10. Jedi_Tigris

Jedi_Tigris Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    Great post! I really like the way Obi-wan got Nibbi to go into the clinic. They're so cute together. [face_love] And I agree that the second half seems to be leading to something. She could get into real trouble down on Onorda Street, even with security guarding her. But that's where Obi is, right? So maybe he'll be a help. [face_thinking]

11. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    I like how you are developing the relationship between Obi-Wan and the little boy. Maybe the President's daughter can get in on the act too.

12. tangled_sphere

tangled_sphere Jedi Master star 4

Dec 28, 2003
    Oh, I have to wait until my day off to reply, but I'll be catching up soon, my Paddy Neice ;)

13. Bastet

Bastet Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 1999
    Ooh, a post! Thank you! Lovely as always! :) Obi-Wan and Nibbi are so cute together! And yes, I also sense trouble ahead. Obi-Wan to the rescue, perhaps? ;) Lovin' it!

14. maychorian

Jan 7, 2005
    diane And this post, you have the foreboding of potential problems.

Indeed, but what might those problems be? ::lays fingers aside of nose:: Thanks for reading, despite your limited time! That warms my heart. :)

Kynstar I liked how Obi helped soothe Nibbi (now I know where ya got the name, eh?) Hopefully now he'll be able to be taken care of.

:D Aren't they adorable? That scene was really easy to write. Where did you think I got the name?

That sounds like it could open a can of worms, even with the security being with her. Doesn't take much to take out folks if one is willing and truly determined enough to do it.

True . . . Oh, you've given me an idea! Thanks, Master!

Darksaber- I especially liked that Obi-Wan called Nibbi "little brother".

:D Me too. I was saving that for an important moment.

LuvEwan But I don't like where the second half of the post might be heading...

Hmm. I've already written half a sequel with that which goes, very, very dark, so dark that I probably will not post it on this board. But I think I'm heading in a slightly different direction than all of you seem to be expecting.

Jedi_Tigris But that's where Obi is, right? So maybe he'll be a help.

Ideas, ideas! So happy. Thanks for reading and replying!

PadawanKitara Maybe the President's daughter can get in on the act too.

That's the plan. She's not exactly little miss sunshine, though.

tangled_sphere but I'll be catching up soon, my Paddy Neice

Thanks, Paddy Aunt! :D It's so fun, like joining a huge extended family.

Bastet

You're welcome! Obi-Wan will have much to do, yes.

A transitory chapter, this. Hope it reads as pleasantly as the others. The story is clipping right along in my mind now, and the end is in sight. Enjoy!

15. maychorian

Jan 7, 2005
    Candles Against the Sea
    Chapter 13: Conversation

Obi-Wan still looked much too tired, Qui-Gon decided, surreptitiously studying his apprentice as they sat eating a quiet dinner together in their rooms. For once there wasn?t an evening banquet or reception or symposium that they needed to attend, so they had a few hours just to enjoy the Sylelian culinary arts.

Maybe the boy was going through a growth spurt. Qui-Gon had heard that teenagers were often exhausted by the rapid physical changes in their bodies, and needed more sleep than most adults could fathom. Obi-Wan was a bit on the small side right now. Perhaps that was the answer. It would probably be a good idea to have him get a full physical once they returned to the Temple.

Qui-Gon was more concerned by the hidden troubles he sensed when he looked at his apprentice. The boy wasn?t shielding particularly strongly, and he saw nothing to justify this instinct that something was deeply wrong. Yet he could not dismiss it.

His words to President Hindegar about how to encourage his daughter to open up came back to him. Did Obi-Wan feel safe and secure with his master? Qui-Gon wondered. How often did they just talk? Not very.

"Did your visit at the clinic proceed well?" he asked, and had to still a grimace. Very smooth, Jinn. Could you possibly be a little more formal? Why not just turn this into a Council inquisition?

But Obi-Wan smiled pleasantly, looking up from his forkful of thick, chewy noodles in some kind of creamy sauce that they could not identify, but found very delicious. ?It went well, once I got Nibbi inside. It was a bit of a struggle.?

?How so??

Briefly, the boy explained. ?I hope I said the right things,? he finished with a slight frown. ?Sometimes I?m not sure. I don?t have your wisdom, Master?I wish I did. I told him that all the dirt was on the outside, but I?m not sure he understood me. Or believed me.?

?It sounds like you handled it very well, Padawan. You?ve made amazing progress with the child in only four days.?

Obi-Wan looked startled. ?Is that all? It seems like so much longer . . . .?

?The days have been very full, I know.? Qui-Gon chuckled. ?We have done a great deal in a short time. Perhaps now the mission will calm down a bit.?

The apprentice shrugged, turning back his food. ?And how did your day go??

See, Jinn? That?s the way you casually start a conversation. ?We discussed matters of security.? He wished he could say more, share freely as the boy had done, but Tooks was right?this information should not burden the young.

Obi-Wan unconsciously drew back a little, and Qui-Gon silently rebuked himself. This had to go both ways?he could not close himself off and expect the boy to reveal everything. ?Did I ever tell you, my master and I once had a run-in with a street child, too? It was not quite the same as your experience though.?

The boy looked up, eyes wide and bright, a quick smile playing on his lips. ?No, Master, you never mentioned that.? Of course he hadn?t. Qui-Gon had never voluntarily shared any of his past with his Padawan before, not even these innocuous adventures from his own apprenticeship.

Qui-Gon smiled and settled back in his chair, falling easily into the story. The story of a small con-man and two gullible Jedi. ?Afterward, Master Dooku always insisted that he knew all along that something wasn?t quite right, but I knew better . . . .?

It was a humorous story, with as many twists and turns and reversals as any good holo-show. Obi-Wan frowned in thought, laughed in delight, and even teased his Master for his lack of insight. Qui-Gon grinned affably and bore it, content in the easing between them, in the glow of pleasure that illuminated his young student. Talking wasn?t so very hard, after all?why hadn?t he done it before?

They cleared the dishes aside for the hotel service to pick up and meditated together, having missed their evening sessions for the past few nights. It was good to calm the mind and the spirit in tandem, to listen to the pe

16. Princess_Arulmozhi

Princess_Arulmozhi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 16, 2004
    Oh, oh, oh! What is this, evil-cliffie-week, or something???? <frowns> Bad author, to leave us dangling like that.

But all that lovely angst. And mush. Qui-Gon shares his past with Obi - but Obi-Wan's weariness is disquieting :( ... and what is this horrible thing that happens??? What?

Nibbi-kins, eh? Sweet :D . And Amora works at the same place too...

I hope that 15% of doom you've prophecied doesn't end in something truly horrible. You wouldn't, would you? [face_worried]

Lovely post. :)

17. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    What a cliffy! :p My dear Padawan you'll give me a heart attack having to wait for the next chapter! ;)

Great work!! Loved this chapter immensely! I'm glad to see Qui opening up and talking about his past with Obi. Obi needed that! It reassures him that his Master is more than just that. [face_love] Ahhh Master/Padawan mush! Love to see it!

So the daughter is working at the clinic too now... good to see that. But that cliffy of yours... [face_thinking] And the aspect of Obi getting weaker. Now I'm really curious as to why and what reason for that. Weaker in body and strength? What of the Force? Has he weakened in that? [face_thinking] Wonder if he's being 'fed' something or drinking something that's causing this? Ohhh the suspense! I'll have no nails left by the time you post the next segment!

But being an example now...guess I'll have to have patience, eh? *Crosses arms over chest and raises chin slightly to stare down her nose. One eyebrow lifts slightly* o_O Well I guess I'll have to wait. Just hopefully not too terribly long! [face_laugh]

18. -Darksaber-

Mar 22, 2005
    :eek:
    Poor Obi-Wan's exhausted. Why? Is it because of his problem with Qui?
    You be kind to Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon, Maychlorian. No torture scenes, or I'll send my Master after you. ;)

19. Bastet

Bastet Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 1999
    Aaaahhhh!! What an evil cliffie! I loved all the Obi/Qui mushiness, though! I hope it's helped to make Obi realize that his master really does care about him lots and lots! But now Obi is being poisoned or something?! Or maybe he's sick? Poor boy, he just can't seem to get a break, can he? ;)
    Thanks for the wonderful post! Please update soon!!!

20. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Loved the evil cliffie - in the true tradition of fanficcers everywhere...LOL. I wonder what is causing obi-Wan such exhaustion. He gets up more tired than going to bed, perhaps he is having dreams or some troubling of the spirit. Something will break and it looks like it will be soon.

Good job.

21. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    A cliffie- WAIT

I left my bungee cord on another thread

22. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004

Wow two chapters to read

So good to see Obi and Nibbi getting along so well

and Nibbi kins such a sweet nickname
    love the cliffe
    He was beginning to falter on the katas, missing the mark as exhaustion weighed his limbs.

trust Obi not to confide in his Master
    He better soon or he will collapse!

?We?ve had a rash of unexplained kidnappings in the last few months,? the security man said quietly. ?It is not good, Master Jedi.?

Oh no dont let Obi be kidnapped!

23. Jedi_Tigris

Jedi_Tigris Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    :eek: That is an evil cliffie!

Obi-wan definitely does need to tell Qui-gon what's bothering him. I bet that's why he's so tired all the time, holding it in and not letting it show. Then he's careing for the kids at the clinic too.

What's going to happen? hummm...must think about this

24. LuvEwan

LuvEwan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    You nearly killed me with a single sentence, may. :eek:

I'm running out of things to say that I haven't said before. This is just great. I love your wording, the world and characters you describe with such distinction and depth. =D= Keep writing.

25. maychorian

Jan 7, 2005
    Wow, what a lot of reviews in a very short time! You make me happy and motivated!

Princess_Arulmozhi I hope that 15% of doom you've prophecied doesn't end in something truly horrible. You wouldn't, would you?

:D Well, not right away . . . but just wait for the sequel. (Yes, I'm evil.) I do still have the other 85% left to work with, so there's always hope.

Kynstar Well I guess I'll have to wait. Just hopefully not too terribly long!

Two days short enough for you? I hope you have nails left, or typing your review is going to be painful!

-Darksaber- No torture scenes, or I'll send my Master after you.

Hehe, no, no torture. I mostly write stuff off-screen--I like dealing with aftermath.

And my master can beat up your master any day. :D

Bastet Aaaahhhh!! What an evil cliffie!

Out of curiosity, what makes it an evil cliffie, as opposed to a regular old cliffie? :confused:

dianethx He gets up more tired than going to bed, perhaps he is having dreams or some troubling of the spirit.

Mmm, yes . . . spiritual trouble . . . my favorite kind . . .

Yeah, the break is happening soon.

PadawanKitara I left my bungee cord on another thread

[face_laugh]

Gkilkenny h no dont let Obi be kidnapped!

Not yet . . .

Jedi_Tigris Obi-wan definitely does need to tell Qui-gon what's bothering him. I bet that's why he's so tired all the time, holding it in and not letting it show.

[:D] I love my perceptive and caring readers.

LuvEwan I'm running out of things to say that I haven't said before.

Hey, I don't mind if you repeat. :D

Aren't you proud of me? Only two days! This chapter is slightly shorter than usual, but your pleas touched my heart. :) We're coming to the climax, here, so it's pretty easy to be excited about writing, even with all the carp DRL keeps throwing. (Finals suck!)

Thanks for reading!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.