Before - Legends Candles in the Windows ( A winter holiday story entry) Finished- Two new posts Dec. 31

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by jodiwent, Dec 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
  1. jodiwent Jedi Master

star 4
    Candles in the Windows

Part One ? Obi-Wan

"The candle in the window could be seen in the distance, a beacon of warmth and welcome to the weary travelers." The Caamasi crèche mother who had been reading the story looked up from the book. "Is that the one?"

"Yes!" A little human boy jumped up and down as he confirmed, "That's the one."

"I'd rather hear how the Hutt stole mid-winter's light!" a Wookiee boy growled.

"When it is your turn, Rabbakka, we'll hear that one," Mother Lutia told him. "This time it's Obi-Wan's choice."

"And that's the story I want," Obi-Wan insisted.

"Me too," one of the girls added.

"Then settle down," Lutia calmed the children, "so I can read."

Again she began, "The candle in the window could be seen in the distance, a beacon of warmth and welcome to the weary travelers - -"

" - - Momma Lute," little Obi-Wan interrupted. "Did this story take place here on Coruscant?"

No, the people came from Coruscant, but the story takes place on Caamas." Lutia started again, "The candle - - "

" - - And it was a long long long time ago?"

"Yes, Obi-Wan - - The candle - - "

" - - And - - "

The gentle woman showed one of the rare moments of frustration she had while taking care of the Temple's youngest Jedi. "And if you keep asking so many questions, I'll skip your story and go on to Rabbaakka's."

Obi-Wan's face crunched up in a pout. He wasn't about to say anything, but he felt that Mother Lutia's attitude wasn't very fitting for the holiday season. Lutia waited to make sure she was not going to be interrupted yet again.

"The candle in the window could be seen in the distance, a beacon of warmth and welcome to the weary travelers."

As Lutia read, the children could see the story in their own imaginings.

"Jundo, look, lights." A young man points to a line of lodges in the distance. "We have to try for it."

Another young man a few years older than the first one nods. Jundo is trying to keep his wife A'kuli warm and moving. She was with child and the day of the delivery was impending. "Leem, run ahead and see if there are friendly beings there."

Leem nods and the younger brother runs ahead into the snow storm. He had only gone a few feet away and Jundo and A'kuli can not see him; They can see the light from the candles. It is the only way they know what direction to go in. Before they got to this place, their struggle has been great. They have been chased by agents of a great war lord of Coruscant. They have crash landed on Caamas, on the darkest day, in the middle of the worst storm the planet had ever seen.

"I'm so cold." A'kuli is shivering and looks blue to her husband.

"Hang on my love," Jundo reassures. "We will reach the lights soon."

The nearly frozen couple go on at a crawl. The only thing guiding them, the lights in the distance.

Why were such seemingly simple people being chased by a mighty war lord? Because of a prophesy. A prophesy twisted by the jealous and power hungry seer of the war lord. At one time Jundo had been a loyal general in the war lord's army. Jundo was not only good in battle, he was good in peace. It had been Jundo who had negotiated the alliance of all of the war lords on Coruscant. An alliance that made his job redundant. He told the war lord he wished to end his days as a warrior and start a family.

When the war lord's sorcerer was not chosen as the great general's wife, she vowed revenge. She began to poison the mind of the war lord against Jundo. When word came back to the palace that Jundo's wife was going to have a child, the sorcerer pretended to gain insight of the future. "This child will be our end. This child will over throw the great lord's rule over Coruscant."

One day, when the war lord could no longer keep his paranoid beliefs in check, he called for Jundo.

"You are a loyal subject, are you not, Jundo?" the war lord asked.

"Of course, great lord," Jundo answered.

"You would do anything I asked of you?"

"That is my duty."

"So if I ask
  2. dianethx Jedi Master

star 6
    That was adorable. I really liked that little Obi-Wan wanted to cheer everyone up, even Master Jinn.

Good job. Keep it up!
  3. CrystalKenobi Jedi Master

star 4
    This was wonderful. You described things very well. I like how you showed what a gentle and generous little Obi-wan is and tied things to QG. I like the Candle Spirit aspect of this story very much. This is a heartwarming story.
  4. DarthIshtar Jedi Grand Master

star 9
    That was so sweet. I loved the story within the story, the fulfillment of the prophecy, etc. Great job, Jodiwent.
  5. Jedi_Knight150 Jedi Padawan

star 4
    That was so cute! This is a very good holiday story.
  6. JediANGELA Jedi Master

star 6
  7. jodiwent Jedi Master

star 4
    Wow, thanks for all the responces everyone.

It was fun to write this part. I hope you all like the next part as well.

Now at 4:30 am I have to go dig out of this lovely Cape Anne winter that has arrived a month too early. Grumble, Grumble ;) But it will give me time to imagine the next part as I shovel.
  8. Healer_Leona Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Ok, my first respeonse in seeing the name Jodiwent up on a new story was startling! We will be finishing the numerous stories we've got going yet aren't we??? Hmmm.... :D :D

The story within the story was wonderful. I wonder, did Obi-Wan ask for that particular one in order to have it freshly in mind for the crechlings to remember when they found the canddles next morning? And how sweet of Obi-Wan to save his credits and do this... loved the Qui-Gon prentended not to notice him sneaking up on him. Now who left the treats for Obi?? I look forward to the next post.

Sorry to hear you're in the middle of that horrendous snowstorm. We in Milwaukee managed to have it just miss us.
  9. Jaya Solo Jedi Knight

star 5
    Awwwww. Cute! Very cute! It's interesting how you used a lot of different stories to come together into one. I saw the Mary and Joseph story, the story of Chanukah, Santa, and a bit of your own mixed in. Wonderful little story!
  10. Jaya Solo Jedi Knight

star 5
    Jodi, you want to read my story, don't you? Since I wrote my first official post all by myself, and I've been a faithful reader for how long? (No, not black mail... coercion.) Pretty please?
  11. _3MD_PsychoSniper Jedi Youngling

star 4
    Awwwwww.
    I liked it.
    Good thing my beta is starting to send me as many links as I send her (Ok, maybe not that many).

[image=http://www.ceruleanstudios.com/images/icons/woot.gif]
  12. Jaya Solo Jedi Knight

star 5
    Because you send an excessive amount of links. I only send a few that I find very interesting.
  13. jodiwent Jedi Master

star 4
    Second post has been sent to be betaed.

Leona, umm - - I'm hoping that writing this will jump start me on my other stories ;)

Jaya you got the idea right on the noggen.

Thanks everyone again for reading.
    ---------------------------------
    ADDED POST

Part two Qui-Gon

The candle in the window could be seen in the distance, a beacon of sales and bargains. Qui-Gon smiled, he never expected to find himself, so close to Mid-Winter's Eve, at a huge merchant quadrant, searching for a candle for his padawan. He and Obi-Wan had just returned from a mission hours before, now he found himself part of the herd of shoppers funneling into the shopatorium. The Jedi master was rarely so unprepared for the holiday. Being unprepared for Mid-Winter was almost as bad as being unprepared for the young man's birthday. Other holidays did not matter, this one did, at least for the twelve years Obi-Wan had been his apprentice.

It was the holiday that had lured Jinn to the Mecca of merchandise, but Qui-Gon actually enjoyed being in the crowd. Being surrounded by the energy of people was more intoxicating than any holiday punch, even Mace's. After searching for the right candle for Kenobi, he still hadn't found one that called out to him. He had to find one that was special. 'Maybe some tea will help me think.' Indeed, this crowd had proved too noisy and pushy even for him. Many others had the same idea.

Qui-Gon wove his way through the other beings gathering at the beverage section of the food court. The scent of holiday spices was a pleasant reward. He was inhaling when he heard a voice he had not heard in a long time.

"Sajanimin, is there any other scent as pleasing?" The voice came from right beside him. Qui-Gon turned to see who he knew was standing there; his former master, Dooku. "It is the only thing worth standing among the other aromas here." Dooku meant the aroma of the people.

"I prefer Chachuchichai myself," Qui-Gon said. It was not meant to be a contradiction, but he could feel Dooku bristle. "Good to see you again Master," he said as they got closer to the tea vendor. "I wouldn't expect to see you here."

"Actually, I came looking for you," Dooku admitted. "The tea is an added bonus."

The two men got their tea, and found a small empty table among the sea of filled ones. They sat; at first they only enjoyed their beverages. Qui-Gon wondered what Dooku wanted, but he would wait for the older man to talk.

Elsewhere in the crowd of shoppers, Obi-Wan and his friend Bant were looking for gifts for their masters. Obi-Wan was already prepared, but he figured there might be one more thing he could find. Bant on the other hand was worried that she would have nothing to put next to her master's door that night. She knew what she wanted, but it was a matter of finding it for the amount of credits she had to spend.

"Whatever happened to candles and candy?" Obi-Wan asked.

"I know, but I wanted to get something extra this year," Bant answered.

"You want something special?" One of the merchants at a small kiosk in the middle of the walkway said after overhearing. "You come try this." She opened a jar and held it under Obi-Wan's nose. "Smell."

Obi-Wan looked at the jars of brightly colored salts on the young woman's cart. Just by the look of them, he knew they couldn't afford it, and the lady was being a bit pushy. "That's nice but, I'm sorry, Miss, I'm a Jedi and I have a grand total of four credits in my pocket." Expecting the sales woman to lose interest after learning they didn't have that much money left, he started to walk off.

"Wait, you try it anyway."

Obi-Wan might not admit it, but the young lady's accent intrigued him. Still he was being the proper Jedi. "I don't - - "

"Both of you come over here, try." The sales woman was persistent.

"Just what is this?" Bant asked.

"Minerals from the shriveled sea of Kessel. It will make your skin soft as a baby's bottom."

"I'm not sure I want something on my skin that came from a place that has the word shr
  14. jodiwent Jedi Master

star 4
    Candles in the Windows

Part three : Anakin

"In the window, the candle, seen it could be in the distance; warmth, welcome, a beacon it was to the weary travelers - - "

Anakin slipped out of the room quietly as Master Yoda began to tell the story of the first Mid Winter's Eve. Hearing the holiday story would only rub in his failure even deeper.

'I have to try again,' the eleven-year-old thought. 'There's still time.'

In his mind he could hear what Master Obi-Wan would say, 'If you hadn't waited until the last minute to complete your project, you wouldn't be in this predicament, now, would you?'

His Master had not said that; he didn't even know about Anakin's project. Obi-Wan didn't know because it was a secret, a surprise. Young Skywalker was determined to make a candle to give his master on mid-winter's eve. He was not going to buy a mass-produced one from a store; he was going to make one with his own hands.

There had been many workshops weeks before the holiday; ones for baking; ones for candy making; ones for decorating and making the decorations; and ones for dipping candles. Anakin had not started weeks before the holiday, not even a week, but the day before the holiday. He had thought it would be an easy task. Who knew something that seemed so simple would prove to be so hard?

'I can fly pods, and build droids galore; why can't I make a stupid candle?'

The young padawan snuck back to the place he had tried his hand at the craft earlier that day. There was no real need to sneak. In the Jedi Temple, nothing was locked. It was just that the workroom was dark and empty. Everyone else had finished or bought their candles already. One more time, the boy would try.

Anakin tied the wick on to a stick; he heated up the colored wax in their wells. He remembered what a mess he had made earlier.

"Anakin, you must be delicate, and have patients," the older padawan who was showing the younger ones how to make the holiday lights told him. "You can't touch them before each layer is dry."

Every time he tried, something happened. One candle got bent; the colors ran into each other; he left one in the dipper too long and melted it off the wick entirely. His fellow crafters complained that he had made the colors look like mud in the wells. Other attempts he handled too early and made bumps in the wax. After only so many attempts, Anakin gave up.

'I guess a store-bought candle wouldn't be so bad,' Skywalker thought as he looked at all of his mistakes. 'Who wants a misshapen candle for a gift?'

Anakin went to buy a candle, but it was too late for that as well.

"What do you mean, you're all out of candles?" the boy asked the storekeeper.

"It's already Mid-Winter's Eve day, young man," the shop keeper replied. "Most shops are closing early for the holiday."

Skywalker found another store and he saw someone buying candles. He thought he was all set. Just as he got to the display, someone else grabbed the last ones off the shelf.

"You snooze, you lose," the man joked. To Anakin, it wasn't very funny.

'Maybe I can get one from a friend,' Anakin then thought. Back to the temple he went.

The apprentice spent all of the late afternoon asking other young Jedi if they could "spare a candle." He tried using the sympathetic angle. "In the spirit of the holiday?"

"Anakin, you had plenty of time to get at least one candle," was the repeated reply, or, "I need all of mine."

When he caught up with his best friend Tru, he pleaded. "I'm desperate, can't you spare a candle?"

"I'm sorry Anakin," Tru said. "I only have one I'm giving my master, and I can't give you that one."

"I know."

"Come on, we're going to be late."

By then it was time to go to a party Master Yoda was giving for the younger padawans. Anakin had fun singing the songs. He enjoyed the cakes and the sodas. Everything was fine until the old troll started telling that story.

So Anakin was again trying to make candles. His nervousness grew to frustration, and mistakes ruined each attempt.
  15. Ty-gon Jinn Jedi Padawan

star 4
    "A Jedi does not lie, Master," Anakin said with a lowered head. "Especially on a holiday."

Ooh, that was sweet!
  16. Jedi_Knight150 Jedi Padawan

star 4
    "To be honest, master, I didn't put much effort into it. I waited until yesterday to make them. They're awful, they're ugly."

"But I'll always know they came from you." Obi-Wan held up a bumpy one. "It has your fingerprints all over it."

Master and Padawan both laughed and hugged.

Count on Obi to be able to cheer things up. Yet again, that was so cute! I'm just loving this story. What's going to be in the next post?
  17. CrystalKenobi Jedi Master

star 4
    That was a heartwarming story. Brings back lots of memories of me making cards etc for my mother during the holidays and being upset because they were not pretty or perfect.

But I'll always know they came from you."

my favorite line.
  18. dianethx Jedi Master

star 6
    That was so sweet. I liked that Anakin tried to make something perfect for Obi-Wan and yet he didn't realize that it is the gift of the heart that is most precious.

Good job.
  19. Jenny_The_Jedi_Girl Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Will you have one where it is obiwan giving one to quigon?????
  20. jodiwent Jedi Master

star 4
    Thanks to everyone again for reading and replying.

Because of how I read the rules of the contest, I planned the story only with three posts. I got an idea to add one (not a Qui one) but I'm not sure if I will. Now I'm wondering if I should have done a Qui-Gon chapter. If I did it would have been before this one. Then again... I could add one later.

What to do, what to do
  21. Jaya Solo Jedi Knight

star 5
    Yay! Wonderful post. I still make my presents for everyone for Christmas (although I must say they look considerably better than they did when I was a kid!)
  22. Jenny_The_Jedi_Girl Jedi Padawan

star 4
    PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEE I BEG YOU A OBIWAN AND QUIGON ONE WOULD BE AWESOME, AND MAYBE A OBIWAN AND LUKE ONE TOO, AFTER THE QUIGON AND OBIWAN ONE HEHE!!!!
  23. Healer_Leona Manager Emeritus

star 9
    I can understand about getting back into the swing of things with your other stories... try as I might with Jemmish's new one it's nothing but a struggle to write again.

Who knew something that seemed so simple would prove to be so hard? -- ah yes... I hate that too. I can't be too hard on lAnakin for waiting so long.. seems like that's pretty much normal adolescence.
    bet Mom would know what to do...
    -- aww that's so sad.

That so was sweet and sad Jodient!!

Edit: They don't have to be in order... how about a Finder/Qui one... maybe to get back in gear with one of your threads. :D :D
  24. Jenny_The_Jedi_Girl Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Who the heck is finder?

A obiwan and quigon one should be next :_|
  25. Jaya Solo Jedi Knight

star 5
    Finder is an OC that Jodi wrote to be Qui-Gon's girl. Good story that is. It should have a post for it! ;)
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.