main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Candles in the Windows ( A winter holiday story entry) Finished- Two new posts Dec. 31

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by jodiwent, Dec 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jenny_The_Jedi_Girl

Jenny_The_Jedi_Girl Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 16, 2001
    ~Sniffles~ Sense there isn't going to be a obiwan and quigon one i shall leave now......

2. jodiwent

jodiwent Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2000
    This is one of the extra posts. I started it before the other request came in.

Don't count Qui out yet, but it may be different than expected.

Here's one about Jaya's Daddy - -

*Mawaa Raawa, Raaaw Grrrrowl woruuf. Yaaawooof huuu huaaa maaaawoo gaaaaw *

In Shyriiwook it meant, 'The candle in the window could be seen in the distance, a beacon of warmth and welcome to the weary travelers.'

"Dewlanna, I don't want to hear that old story again." Han rolled over in the sleep mat on the kitchen floor of the Trader's Luck. At least he had a warm blanket to wrap up in. "I want to get some sleep."

< "Don't you want to remember the real reason for the holiday?" > Dewlanna asked as she continued to knead dough for cookies.

"Not really," the fifteen-year-old's muffled answer came from under the blanket. "I don't know why you care, it's not a Wookiee holiday."

< "No, it's not, but it is close to Life Day, and I do like stories about the Jedi." >

"News flash Dewlanna - - the Jedi are all gone, and if any Imperial snitch ever heard you celebrating them, there'd be trouble."

Dewlanna took a deep breath. < "Can't a being just tell a nice story without backtalk? No one on this ship loves the Empire." >

Han mumbled something incoherent and rolled up even more. That did not stop the Wookiee woman from continuing the story. She knew some of it would make it through the young Corellian's thick skull. Try as he might keep it from happening, Han's dreams that night were full of snow storms, weary travelers, and candles. That and the smell of the cookies Dewlanna was baking gave Han a warm feeling he had not had in many years.

"Han, Han, light the candle."

"That's smart, dear, giving a flame starter to a three-year-old."

"We're right here. He's not going to set the house on fire."

"He's not lighting the candle, either."

There was warm laughter.

Han could remember the voices, but he could not remember the faces. He could remember there was plenty of food, warm, clean clothes, a soft bed and fluffy pillows, and lots of love.

Later, there was pain, fear, blasters, and screams. He always remembered the screams.

"GET UP YOU LAZY DURACRETE SLUG!" Stark's voice and a kick woke Han from all of his dreams; good and bad. "It's time for you to earn your keep."

Earning his keep meant going out and begging, borrowing, or stealing whatever he could. Today would be a most profitable day; today was a holiday. It was the Imperial Winter Feast Day.

The Emperor knew he couldn't completely get rid of people's traditions. The day remained a day of gift giving and feasting, but candles and the tale of the first Jedi were strictly forbidden. Either way, there would be lots of people in the streets of Coronet City going to and from holiday gatherings with plenty of things to swipe.

* Roaaar, ruff growllll * Dewlanna huffed out.

"No, I can't give them a break today," Strike lipped back at the old Wookiee. "Today is one of our busiest days, you know that." Garris grabbed Han up from the floor. The boy's feet dangled for a moment until they landed down.

Dewlanna said something that was not complimentary to Strike. There wasn't much about Strike to compliment any way.

"And a good day to you, too, Mrs. Dewlanna." With that, Strike dragged Han out of the kitchen to the ship's hatch where the rest of the crew was ready to be let loose on an unsuspecting public. All of them were expected to return with some manner of loot. If they didn't, they would see the less-friendly side of their captain.

Han didn't mind much that he had to leave the ship. The longer he was away from the ship, the less he had to see of Strike. He couldn't wait for the day when he would finally be out of that man's grip. Han had tried to run before, but Strike's thugs always found him and dragged him back to the ship where he faced the consequences. 'One day they aren't going to be able to drag me back.'

The young grifter looked at the

3. CrystalKenobi

CrystalKenobi Jedi Master star 4

Jul 31, 2003
    I loved that post with little Han.

4. Jaya Solo

Jaya Solo Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 12, 1999
    Yay! A new postie! Poor Han. Too bad he didn't get to return those candles back to the nice people. Or stay there with them. But it was sweet, none the less.

5. Jenny_The_Jedi_Girl

Jul 16, 2001
    Sighs, why does no one like quigon???

6. Jenny_The_Jedi_Girl

Jul 16, 2001
    It's sad to see that people can no longer call it the winter festival and poor han.

MORE! :D

7. Connemara

Connemara Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 18, 2000
    I love these stories! These are awesome! I love the holiday you've created and you've really captured the Spirit of Christmas with your posting, even though in the GFFA it's called Mid Winter's Night. :)

This stuff is great!

8. KSkywalker

KSkywalker Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 7, 1998
    ~It's sad to see that people can no longer call it the winter festival~

!!!!Please be aware that this could happen here. (U.S.) !!!!

The "Far Left" have decided that "Merry Christmas" is offensive to non-Christians! Considering how our "Supreme Court Justices? :mad:" have taken to trashing the Constitution, this is very troubling! :(

Please consider this a public service notice! :)

9. Connemara

Connemara Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 18, 2000
    Agreed! I am not sure, but I think that might be part of jodiwent's point. But I dunno for sure.

10. Jenny_The_Jedi_Girl

Jul 16, 2001
    I hope that doesn't really happen, but if it does i'll still say merry christmas and enjoy christmas the way i have all my life!

11. CrystalKenobi

CrystalKenobi Jedi Master star 4

Jul 31, 2003
    kskywalker, I could not agree with you more.

I too also thought that was jodiwent's point.

So I hope no one will be offended when I say

Merry Christmas to those who celebrate it and Happy Holidays to everyone. (however you celebrate it.)

12. Jenny_The_Jedi_Girl

Jul 16, 2001
    ~HAVE A VERY MARRY SCARY CHRISTMAS ALL~

13. jodiwent

Feb 11, 2000
    Hi all, and thanks for reading everyone

I agree with KS, but I wasn't consciously thinking about that when I was writing that post.

I've been soo busy shopping and wrapping, I am working on the next post.

I have to have the story finished by the 31st

Yikes! I better get typing!

14. Jenny_The_Jedi_Girl

Jul 16, 2001
    A OBIWAN AND QUIGON ONE SHOULD BE NEXT!

15. jodiwent

Feb 11, 2000
    This takes place the same year as Han's
    --------------------------
    Part five Leia

"Oh, Daddy, it's beautiful." Princess Leia held the silver blue dress to herself and spun as if in a fashion show. She rubbed the velveteen sleeve against her cheek. "It's so soft." She held it out and looked at the satiny bodice. "And so shiny."

"And you will look beautiful in it," her father told her. Bail, Prince of the house of Organa, Galactic Senator, and Viceroy of Alderaan lavished gifts on his adoptive daughter every Feasting Day. This was the ninth Imperial Feasting Day; it had been nine years since the Emperor took over. Bail regretted that this version of a much older holiday was the only one Leia had ever known. She was born the year the Republic fell.

To keep the people of his planet safe, Bail kept his true self well hidden. He could not let the Emperor guess that he and others in the Imperial Senate were plotting rebellion against the tyrant's rule; plotting to restore freedom and the Republic. As far as the Emperor was concerned, Organa was just a politician who wanted to keep his place of power and influence, so he wouldn't do much but make speeches and pretend to be outraged at certain matters. Bail often imagined what Palpatine's face would look like if he learned that the man he thought was a spineless pawn was one of the founders of the Rebellion. For now, however, he was just a proud father, enjoying the happy look on his child's face. "How's about you go put that on for the presentation?"

"The presentation - - " Leia folded her arms in front of herself defiantly. "Do we really have to do that this year?"

"You know we do." Bail's firm tone indicated she could not squirm out of this one. "So go let your Aunts make you the prettiest and put the dress on."

"All right." Leia was resolved that one more time, she would have to be gawked at by everyone in Aldera. Before going off to where her Aunts would supervise the combing and twisting of her hair into some fabulous quaff, she picked up one of the other presents her father had given her that morning; a small rag doll.

"Come on, Dolly," Leia spoke to the toy girl. "Maybe it won't be as bad if I'm not the only one."

As his daughter walked away, Bail did not miss the fact that Leia felt like she was being treated like a doll rather than a girl. 'One day she will understand,' he thought to himself. 'Maybe this is the year I should bring her to see them.'

When the time came for the presentation, Leia looked like a shiny little star. Her aunts looked regal and her father elegant. The house of Organa was ready to face the people of Alderaan. They would ride in a open speeder to the Planetary Senate, where Bail would make obligatory speeches for the holiday. All along the route, throngs of Alderaanians would line the sidewalks to get a glimpse of the royal family, especially the young princess. So many people looking at her still scared Leia a bit; not as much as earlier years, but still a little. To make herself braver, she took the hand of Dolly and made her wave to the people as well. She did like the way people smiled as they passed; that was one good thing about the procession. She did not understand why seeing 'their' princess and her doll made so many of the Alderaanians happy. She did not yet understand that she was a symbol; a symbol of light and hope.

Inside the Planetary Senate building, Leia sat quietly as her father gave his speech. She felt like cowering when the banners with the Emperor's ugly mug on them were unfurled. Her father had told her to never show anyone, including the Emperor, that she was afraid of them; of course he had told her Palpatine was dangerous like a snake. He would show her how to handle such snakes. Leia did not understand why, if the Emperor was a snake, everyone celebrated the Empire on this day. Why was there a holiday for something and someone people were afraid of? She liked the part where she gave and received gifts, but she didn't like this part. Leia was glad when it was time to go home.

16. Jenny_The_Jedi_Girl

Jul 16, 2001
    That was very sad, but good, but what is sadder is no one likes obiwan or quigon!! sighs i'm sorry but it wasn't right to skip them, now it's to late. ~rolls her eyes, while shaking her head sadly and walks off~

17. jodiwent

Feb 11, 2000
    Jenny, it's neaver too late.

If you have the patients of a Jedi ;) you may get your wish ;)

18. Jenny_The_Jedi_Girl

Jul 16, 2001
  19. Jenny_The_Jedi_Girl

Jul 16, 2001
    :)
    :( :(
    :D :D
    [face_love] [face_love]
    [face_mischief] [face_mischief]
    :cool: :cool:
    [face_devil] [face_devil]
    :p 8-}
    :mad: :mad:
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh]
    ;) ;)
    [face_blush] [face_blush]
    :_| :_|
    ?[face_plain] :confused:
    :eek: [face_shocked]
    [face_plain] [face_plain]

20. Jaina_and_Jag

Jaina_and_Jag Jedi Master star 5

Apr 19, 2003
    This was really good!!! :D More?

21. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Wow.. wonderful Han and Leia posts. You give lots to think about Jodi. Hope your Christmas was fabulous!

22. Jenny_The_Jedi_Girl

Jul 16, 2001
  23. jodiwent

Feb 11, 2000
    Hi ALL and, again, thanks for reading.

My Christmas was awsum, except for a pesky cold. (I LOVE TURKEY!)

Anyway am sending the 'Bonus' ;) post off to be betaed, and I'm working on the final post. Since there is only about 48 hrs to the deadline I'm jumping on it.

I should post both of them tomorrow.

24. _3MD_PsychoSniper

_3MD_PsychoSniper Jedi Youngling star 4

Oct 25, 2003
    Good fic Jodiwent.

Cant wait til the next psot (could you PM me when U update pls, otehrwise I'll loose the thread proably)

25. jodiwent

Feb 11, 2000
    Phantom post

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.