main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Candles in the Windows ( A winter holiday story entry) Finished- Two new posts Dec. 31

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by jodiwent, Dec 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jodiwent

jodiwent Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2000
    I'm posting again here to make sure that the story post is not the last one on the page, that is the post that disapears if you use the last post link on people's profiles.

2. jodiwent

Feb 11, 2000
    There is a new post placed just before the Anakin post back on page one I think you can guess who
    -------------------------------------------
    Part six Luke

"The candle in the window could be seen in the distance, a beacon of warmth and welcome to the weary travelers..." Luke put down the holo-book he had started to read to his son. "Ben nooo," Luke whined. "Ben, you're supposed to eat the candy, not the candle."

"Candle yum." The toddler took another chomp on the wax and giggled. "Daddy try."

Luke's face was buried in his hand. His hand rubbing off the frustration he was feeling at the moment. "No, Daddy is not going to try, Daddy is going to do." Luke took the candle and put it out of little Ben's reach. "Now come here and listen to the story."

Ben jumped into Luke's lap with a thud. "I want my candle, Daddy."

"You have to wait."

"I don't want to wait."

"We're going to light them later."

"Light them now, Daddy."

"Daddy said later." Mara had entered the room, coming to Luke's rescue. "Listen to Daddy."

Ben settled down. Luke found it funny that, in actuality, Ben was listening to Mara, not him.

"Are you reading the book Kam gave us?" Mara asked.

"I'm trying."

"What's stopping you?"

"Our son is a mutant."

"Skywalker, don't even joke like that."

"Mara, he's eating the candles."

"Luke, those are candy wax candles." She handed another one to Ben.

"Ooooh." Luke felt a bit foolish. "He does know the difference between those and the real ones?"

"He is a Skywalker, he has to have some sense." Mara planted a kiss on Luke's cheek and sat next to him. "Ben, come sit with me and listen to Daddy read the story."

What had taken Luke what seemed a long time to do, worked right away for Mara. Ben climbed up and quieted down. Now Luke stalled, he squirmed in his seat a little more than usual. Mrs. Skywalker took note. "Luke, what is the matter?"

"I don't know why Kam chose me to read at the pageant," Luke told her. When Kam and Tionne discovered information on the Jedi connection to the old holiday, they wanted to try and bring back the tradition. They were even more enthused when Leia was able to tell the story of Mid Winter's Eve.

"Stage fright, Skywalker?"

"No, it's not that. I think Leia would do a better job. She actually knows this story backwards and forwards. She made Kam this copy of it."

"There's no guarantee that Leia and Han will be here that day," Mara pointed out. Despite Luke's pleas, the Solos had not chosen to remain on Ossus with the small group of Jedi that had relocated there after the defeat of the Yuuzan Vong. To celebrate the newly restored holiday, a call had gone out for the other Jedi scattered across the galaxy to try and meet at Ossus, especially those with younger children. "And I'm not even sure this is a true story. According to this, the first Jedi grew up among the Caamasi. According to other stories, the Jedi began here, not to mention all the other theories."

"According to Leia, the Caamasi on Alderaan believed it, and the Jedi at the temple on Coruscant believed it," Mara said. "Maybe there's a little truth in both."

"Did you ever hear this story when you were little?" Luke asked.

"From what I understand, it was forbidden to even mention it under the Empire. So you know I never heard it. But I do remember a day when people exchanged gifts and feasted."

"To honor the Emperor, somehow the two are connected," Luke concluded.

"Because the Emperor tried to suppress the older holiday. Did you ever celebrate the Imperial Feasting Day on Tatooine?"

"Are you kidding." Luke chuckled. "Uncle Owen take a day off and relax for a silly thing like a holiday?"

"Well, if you don't read it a few times before tomorrow, you'll be reading it out of the book at the pageant."

"Okay I get the message." Luke went on to read the story of the first Mid Winter's Eve to Ben and Mara.

"I think it will be sweet to see the children act out the story when you re

3. Jenny_The_Jedi_Girl

Jenny_The_Jedi_Girl Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 16, 2001
  4. Jaina_and_Jag

Jaina_and_Jag Jedi Master star 5

Apr 19, 2003
    That was great!!!! :D Little Ben eating the candles was so cute! [face_love] :D

5. _3MD_PsychoSniper

_3MD_PsychoSniper Jedi Youngling star 4

Oct 25, 2003
    Great addition wih QuiGon and Dooku, and the Luke part was god as well.

6. jodiwent

Feb 11, 2000
    Shamlessly upping so Jaya can find now that she's back.

7. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    I loved that Ben was leaving treats for Luke so that he could celebrate the holiday. Very nicely done!

8. Jaya Solo

Jaya Solo Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 12, 1999
    Fun posts! I liked them very much. I read them late, but I still enjoyed them!

9. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

_Derisa_Ollamhin_ Jedi Master star 4

Jul 31, 2000
    I liked all the little stories and the link between them all, as well as the sweet little mystery at the end. The drawing together of all the main characters of the GFFA and the various celebrations of the mid winter holiday.

My favourite is the Leia story, which is surprising to me, since she hardly my favourite of the canon characters. I guess, it's just that you captured her so well, Jodi, that she seemed very real in your story.

Thanks for sharing!

10. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    I liked that, overall, it felt like Star Wars, with the same tension and philosophy that we come to love. The characters were realistic, empathetic, and reminiscent of the people they grew to be. It was well-written and enjoyable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.