main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Horror Candlewood

Discussion in 'Role Playing Forum' started by SirakRomar, Apr 6, 2018.

1. JediMasterAnne

JediMasterAnne Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 24, 2004
    IC: Julia Wilson
    Kennedy Street, Streets of Candlewood

Though she’d had no reason to doubt that he’d believe her, Julia still felt a sense of relief at being taken seriously. Ethan checked her for any physical anomalies, wondering aloud if she’d perhaps hit her head or been poisoned.

“I don’t think it’s a concussion,” she told him. “Nothing hurts, and I don’t feel sick.” Furthermore, a concussion would mean that she shouldn’t go to sleep, but Ethan didn’t have the energy to stay up to watch over her. He hadn’t slept since before going in for his shift last night.

“As for poisoning, I haven’t eaten anything since this morning, and anyone trying to poison the food at the café has to get past Rebecca or Alice.”

Ethan opened up her umbrella and together they began to head for his car. "Anything you need from your car?"

“No, I have everything important,” Julia said. “And I have that book, we can put it in your trunk and you can take it in with you tomorrow.”

"We have witness who says he saw Jane." Ethan told her as they came to the car. "She might be okay, after all."

Julia looked up at him in surprise. Good news, at the end of a rather strange day. Still, she knew not to get her hopes up too high. “Really? Who saw her, and where?”

TAG: @SirakRomar

HanSolo29 likes this.
  2. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    IC: Miles Rayburn
    Basil, Candlewood

"So how is that for a ghost story?"

Miles was dumbfounded, and wasn't sure how to respond to the story Laura had just told the group. Nazi grandfather, burning possessed teenagers... this wasn't the kind of harmless tall tale that made potential romantic partners shiver with fright and hold each other closer for comfort, the kind Miles was hoping for. This was the kind of story that made his skin crawl, his stomach churn.

Miles chugged the last bit of his beer and tossed the can to the side, watched it topple over on the sand. "I doubt anyone's gonna top that one," he laughed nervously. "I feel like I need to go take a swim to wash it off of me." He lifted his head to the water beyond, and nudged Laura with his shoulder. "Not by myself, though."

Tag: @SirakRomar

3. DarkLordoftheFins

DarkLordoftheFins Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2007
    John Carver
    Anna's car, the Streets

John raised his brows as he heard that Jane Masters was seen. Obviously the Sheriff had made progress on this one and he had not been in the loop. But Jane being alive ...

"I doubt that." He only replied and looked out the window. Ten years ago. A murder. That was all? This time it would be worse. That was what Jane had said. More murders? A mass-killing? What Anna described sounded like an extended suicide. Maybe this time it would be more than one victim the killer took with him? Or was Jane just the beginning for her attacker? It did not feel like a passionate kill. It felt more like a planned attempt. Maybe it was both.

He would have loved to have someone at the school, but on what basis? A dream? He could not do that.

"We should all meet in the morning and discuss what we got." He simply said and leaned back.

4. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    IC: Sheriff Jack Collins
    The Brownback Hills

This isn’t as easy as it used to be, Jack thought as the highway disappeared behind them into the darkness.

He had fond memories of spending his summers in Candlewood as a kid, exploring the many trails and climbing all over these hills with his friends until dusk. A trek up to the observatory seemed simple enough in comparison, but that was over 40 years ago. He had maintained some hope that maybe it would all come back to him once they got started – like riding a bicycle – but he had been sorely mistaken.

A colorful string of curses escaped from the Sheriff’s lips as his foot slipped on a patch of wet moss on one of the steeper inclines. He stumbled and he felt the ground starting to rise up to meet him before he caught himself on a tangle of branches hanging low from one of the towering tree limbs. When he was certain he wasn’t going to embarrass himself further by doing a face plant into the mud, he sighed heavily and took a moment to catch his breath.

Jack had lost count how many times that had happened so far. At least he had managed to stay on his feet this time; he couldn’t say that for all of his blunders. It was a wonder that Michaels hadn’t declared him a lost cause by now. If anything, Jack had to give the former deputy credit – despite their differences, he had a lot of patience and was proving quite effective in his role as a guide. He still couldn’t say that this was a good idea, but at least he felt a hell of a lot safer with Michaels around to show the way.

With another sigh, Jack pushed away from the tree where he was resting, the scintillating patterns of his flashlight now playing eerily over the canopy that was closing in around them. This far up the hill, he noted that the trees were much larger with gnarled limbs and ancient hollowed trunks, creating the illusion that they were reaching out for them with their knotted fingers. The mental image sent a chill down his spine; it was enough to make him feel claustrophobic.

Before he could draw attention to this oddity, Michaels stopped his forward progress and looked around warily. “You hear that?” he asked quietly.

Jack’s heart began to beat rapidly within his chest as he made a quick sweep of the area with his flashlight. He half-expected some wild animal to ambush them, or perhaps Jane to come wandering out of the wilderness to meet them, but when things remained relatively still, he only shook his head marginally.

“Wind’s beginning to pick up,” he noted with a hint of indifference. He instinctively stepped closer to Michaels’ position, his eyes still surveying the immediate area. “Other than that, nothing…”

ConservativeJedi321 likes this.
  5. SirakRomar

SirakRomar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2007
    A beach called Brasil

Laura smiled at him and stood up. "I gotta get my bikini ..." She stretched and Kyle stood up. Everyone else seemed still a bit shocked about the story.

"Why exactly you said you were here, Laura?" Kyle asked suddenly. He was very serious. It seemed almost a break from the otherwise light feeling of the evening.

"Just by accident, we met her in Seattle ..." Carly began. Kyle raised his hand to silence her.

"Why are you here again, Laura?" He suddenly asked and silenced Carly. Laura turned and smiled at him. "Here at the beach? Here in America? Here in the 21st century? That's a broad question, Kyle ..." She laughed.

"Candlewood. Why are you here in Candlewood?" Kyle stepped one step closer to her and Rob and Sammy exchanged looks of concern.

Robert was the first to say something. "Kyle, relax man. The story was really scary. But no reason to be all ... intense ... and that ..."

Kyle looked at him and then laughed. It was a fake laugh. "Just asked her a question, man. Relax." He emptied his bear can and Laura smiled and walked to his Jeep. She would put on her Bikini probably.

"Miles, I gotta go. You wanna stay? Mind if Rob here gives you a ride later?" Kyle asked. His eyes went after Laura though.

Tag: @Reynar_Tedros

Kennedy Street, Streets of Candlewood

Ethan sighed as they got into his car and he started the engines. "You are missing time, honey. You could have eaten all kinda things in the last hours. The problem with memory loss." He smiled. "I am just glad you are okay."

He looked over at Jane's flat. "You said you came back to conscience here?" He then asked and forced a smile at her.

"Oh and I am not sure if the book is evidence. No connection to any crime so far. But can I see it?" They were at a traffic light, so he had time to look at it.

But it wasn't there. In her back were only the copies of the book. The leather bound volume was gone.

Tag: @JediMasterAnne

In front of the hotel

Anna stopped the car and smiled. "Looks like it is not worth to go to sleep before we meet then, what do you think?" She smiled at him. "I could have a drink. I really, really could have a drink now." Looking at the hotel. "And lucky enough I put a blind eye on Joe from the night reception last week for driving under alcohol. So I think I could make him open the bar for me. What do you say, John?" She looked vulnerable as she asked, almost expecting him to say no.

Tag: @DarkLordoftheFins

Brownback Hills

Michaels nodded. "Exactly. Ever been in the woods at night? They are usually pretty loud. Birds. Night active hunters. Insects. Here? Nothing." He sighed. "Hard to imagine that is because of a bear." He looked at Collins. "Insects don't fear bears."

Getting his rifle of his back he sighed. "Rain is dying down, but we got another two and a half hours before we get into the area." Michaels began to walk again. "You expect trouble with Ms. Masters? I don't wanna get shot in the line of duty without even having a duty, you know?"

Tag: @HanSolo29

6. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    IC: James Power
    Home

His mind was racing, to the point where he only registered Max's spasm partially.
    At a friends house? That didn't make any sense, why wouldn't Grace call him, or leave him a more specific note if she was staying at a friends house?
    Now the boys odd behavior was beginning to cause James greater concern.

Following his son into the kitchen he pressed further. "Which friend Max? I need to talk to her, I need her advice on an important sale being discussed by the council this week." It was true, technically. Grace still wasn't aware of what the professor had told him, or Sam. If they were going to create a plan going forward they had to discuss it before the meeting.
    But Mostly he wanted to be sure she was alright. The last couple days had been unusual for many different reasons. He didn't like the way his son was acting, and his wife's absence was very much out of character.
    It's probably nothing. He told himself, and he really wanted to believe it.

But If she doesn't turn up soon I'm calling the sheriff.

Tags: @SirakRomar

Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
    HanSolo29 likes this.
  7. DarkLordoftheFins

Apr 2, 2007
    John Carver
    Anna's car, the Streets

John looked at the Deputy and sighed. She was interested. What was it that suddenly made him Mr. Sex around here? Was it his big city attitude? The promise of a handsome guy leaving sooner or later? Anyway, he felt she was suffering just to ask. "Sounds good. I could use a drink." He finally replied. Then he gave her a smile.

"But only one." He then added. "I need my head to function." With that he got out of the car and made his way to the Hotel, waiting half way for her to catch up.

Jane had a gun with her. Why had she not shot? The question remained in his head and also he thought he had the answer he wondered if he should discuss the matter with the Deputy. He decided against it. They probably both needed to get a fresh look on things.

"Tell me, Anna ... how is it, living in Candlewood?" It sounded like polite conversation, but he really tried to understand the mindset of a woman in her mid-twenties ... attractive ... also Anna was not in Jane's league ... living in a small town like this.

8. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    The Brownback Hills

Pressing his lips together firmly, Jack exhaled heavily through his nose – Michaels was right. He didn’t notice it before, probably because he was too busy trying to keep his feet under him, but now that they had stopped for a moment to rest, it was impossible to ignore. No crickets, no birds, nothing. It was an oppressive silence that shook him to the core. If he thought the patterns in the trees were eerie, this tipped the scales tenfold. Despite Jane’s fate hanging in the balance, he felt some real doubt; for the first time, he was beginning to fear for his own safety.

As his mind began to wander, he was suddenly reminded of how animals seemed to behave oddly in the face of certain natural disasters, such as tornadoes and earthquakes...it was almost as if they were able to sense the impending danger. Was something similar going on here?

But what is so menacing that even the insects clear out of the area? What the hell am I getting myself into?

Jack was still pondering those questions when Michaels’ voice broke into his thoughts. "Rain is dying down,” he observed with a sigh, “but we got another two and a half hours before we get into the area."

The Sheriff frowned and glanced back toward the trees. That wasn’t the news he wanted to hear. He knew it would be a long hike, but now it seemed more daunting than ever. His movements were now sluggish, making it obvious that he had lost much of his prior enthusiasm.

But regardless of Jack’s hesitation, Michaels continued on, “You expect trouble with Ms. Masters? I don't wanna get shot in the line of duty without even having a duty, you know?"

Jack sighed. He knew he wouldn’t get through the night without the subject coming up again. While he was still reluctant to reveal too many details, he figured he could spare a few. After all, the guy had gotten him this far…

“She’s missing,” he began simply. He started to follow behind Michaels again, but his pace was much slower, unsure. “It was reported early this morning...you were the only one to make a positive ID in the past 24 hours. That’s why I wanted to check it out.”

He trailed off and shook his head lightly. “But now I dunno…” He gestured to the woods around them, indicating the absence of sound except for the wind and the rain. “I don’t like this at all.”

9. TheSithGirly

TheSithGirly Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2007
    Sidney Barnes
    Croft Estate, Reception

Sidney looked at the older man and knew she should refuse. Now that she had met him, she knew he was no match for her. She would start applying pressure. Ms. Burns she would simply buy and then they would use their contacts to make the life of this wanna-be prince of Candlewood hell. Tax reviews. Money laundering investigations. VAT reportings. The whole program. They would get security here. An army of security showing him who threatened who!

But he had something to offer. The truth. The truth why she had to get this piece of land in this god-forsaken little town somewhere in the middle of nowhere.

And Sidney wanted to know. It did not help he implied there was a secret that would turn her to his side. The Hades Fund had been suspicious in his ferocity to get this land. The whole resort thing was a bit silly. No, there was something else and if she said no now, she would probably never know what it was.

"Alright, Mr. Croft. You have your hour." She said and her arms were holding her case now close to her chest, as if it had protective qualities.

10. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    Brasil, Candlewood

Miles was just as taken aback as everyone else at Kyle's sudden and seemingly unwarranted interrogation of Laura concerning the reasons behind her presence in Candlewood. She laughed it off and headed to the Jeep to grab her swimwear, but Miles stayed put, brow furrowed.

"Miles, I gotta go," Kyle said. "You wanna stay? Mind if Rob here gives you a ride later?"

Miles moved close to his friend and put his hand on his shoulder. "What's up, man?" he asked quietly, out of earshot from the rest of the group. "You kinda went bad cop on Laura there. What's going on?" Miles could admit that he had a tendency to be a hopeless romantic when it came to affairs of the heart, but he was never so blind as to abandon the trust of his friends in favor of the new girl on the block. Whatever the reason for Kyle's sudden change of mood, Miles was genuinely curious. He couldn't help wondering what exactly Laura had said or done that made him react that way.

HanSolo29 likes this.
  11. SirakRomar

Mar 30, 2007
    A beach called Brasil

Kyle looked at Miles and there was nothing in his eyes. His features seemed frozen. Finally he answered his friend.

"Let us say, I heard her story before. A variation of it. Maybe once to often to believe it is a coincidence." He turned to Carly and Sammy and nodded to the girls, before passing Rob and clapping his shoulder. "See you at work tomorrow, Miles." He walked over to his Jeep, just as Laura came back in nothing but a Bikini and a black t-shirt. Her long legs looked breathtaking in the moonlight. "Listen Kyle, if I offended you in any way ..."

Kyle raised his hand and looked st Miles. "I must apologize. I got this ... mood swings. Got 'en since I came back from the war. This was one of them, I suppose. Enjoy the sea. See you around."

He passed her quickly and entered his car.

"I really didn't wanted to ruin his evening." Laura said to the others. Rob sighed. "No, it's alright. He got this ... condition. Makes him a bit itchy at times." But he looked at Miles. They were both good friends of Kyle and knew this had been an exceptionally intense mood swing.

The Power House

Max looked at his father and then put a smile on his face that looked a bit like a clown grimacing. "Calm down. A friend. She did not say who it was." He came over to his father and put his hand on his shoulder. He was actually mimicking his fathers approach from earlier outside.

"She will be alright. Father. No need to worry, just because Mum visited a friend." He said, still having this smile. "You should get ready for your important day."

With these words he went to his backpack and took it. It looked like he wanted to go to school. Only he was several hours too early and it would not open until 7, with classes beginning or before 8.

"The stars, they are all gone now. They were so beautiful." He said this almost to himself and started walking towards the door.

Tag: @ConservativeJedi321

The Croft Estate

Charles Croft smiled at her.

"Excellent." He simply said and walked over to a small desk. He opened it and took something from it she could not see.

"Carl?" He shouted. "I need my car!"

When he turned around he held a book in his hand. A leather bound old book. "Read it, Ms. Barnes. No, study it. You probably can't read it as most is in German." He smiled. "You won't understand in the beginning, but eventually you will. And you will see what I see when I look at the stars. Hear what I hear when you listen to them." He raised his hand.

"No, don't say I am mad. Just read the book." He walked over to her and handed it to her. "It is still early in the day. We can go up to the observatory afterwards, if you want to. You can probably go there by yourself. You will see."

Croft handed her the book and left.

Tag: @TheSithGirly

Brownback Hills

Michaels gave him a long look in the dark. "I know what you mean. Missing, hm? When I saw her she was wearing a black costume. Looked as if she came straight from work or something. No outdoor clothes, no backpack. Dammit. I saw her from afar, so there was no point approaching her. But if she is up here without any equipment? We should get her and drag her back to town and you should give her one hell of a speech." Michaels sighed. "There is an old Hunters cottage half way back. We can stay there if we have to. But as you might realize there is no reception here and radio usually doesn't work. Got something to do with the metal in the hills. So you might get some people worried, if it comes to that."

Michaels began walking again. He kept his gun in his hands now. Obviously he had the same bad feeling.

It took them another hour until they stopped again. They could see the top of the hills now and the rain had stopped. But there was a smell in the air that made Michaels stop. Rotten flesh. "Smell that? Something died here." He said and began to search the surrounding with his flashlight.

12. JediMasterAnne

Apr 24, 2004
    Streets of Candlewood

"You are missing time, honey. You could have eaten all kinda things in the last hours. The problem with memory loss." He smiled. "I am just glad you are okay."

“I’m only missing a half-hour or so,” Julia pointed out. Not that that made the situation any less worrying, but it wasn’t as if her memory had blanked out half of the day.

"You said you came back to conscience here?" Ethan asked, indicating Jane’s building as they started to drive off.

She nodded. “Yes. I remember leaving the store and getting in my car, then next thing I know, I’m here.”

She didn’t mention the strange sound again, or that the man who’d found her said that she’d been screaming. Ethan didn’t continue on that topic either, switching to the book instead. It might not be evidence after all, he said, but asked if he could look at it anyway. They were at a stoplight, so they had a moment.

As Julia pulled her bag into her lap, she noticed for the first time that it seemed to feel a bit lighter than she remembered it being when she’d left the store, and as she opened it and reached inside, she realized why.

“It’s gone!” Besides the usual items she kept in her bag, the only things there were the copies Professor Fallon had given her. She held the bag open to show her husband that the book was indeed missing. “Ethan, I swear I had it when I left the store.”

13. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    Basil, Candlewood

Miles looked after Kyle as he said his goodbyes to the group and headed back to his jeep, passing Laura on the way. She had on a black shirt that barely revealed the bottom piece of her swimsuit that she now wore. His focus quickly shifted to her and away from Kyle, who he'd hopefully get to talk to more at work later on.

"I really didn't want to ruin his evening," she spoke somberly.

Miles shook his head after Rob made a comment about his condition. "Don't worry about it. He can get like that sometimes. He'll be fine." He looked down and realized he was still wearing his shoes, so he lifted his legs up one at a time and removed them without untying the laces, took off his socks and discarded them close by. He looked at Laura, her eyes gleaming in the moonlight. "Race you to the water?" He winked and took off running without waiting for a response.

14. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    The Brownback Hills

Jack slowed his pace and stared at Michaels through the darkness. Fortunately, they were far enough apart that the other man could not see the concern in the Sheriff’s eyes...at least, not without shining the flashlight directly into his face. While he wasn’t surprised to hear that Michaels had spotted Jane in plain clothes and with no other equipment to assist her in her flight, it did make him increasingly more uneasy. It didn’t make sense. Again, what was so important about the observatory that she would risk her life to come up here alone?

“We need to find her first,” Jack muttered quietly in response to Michaels’ comment about scolding Masters for her insolence. He didn’t feel any satisfaction over the idea of yelling at a girl who was only trying to keep herself alive...

"There is an old Hunters cottage half way back,” the former deputy continued after a moment, seemingly content to change the subject. “We can stay there if we have to. But as you might realize there is no reception here and radio usually doesn't work. Got something to do with the metal in the hills. So you might get some people worried, if it comes to that."

Kicking some brush aside with his foot, Jack’s gaze hardened under the reflective glow of his flashlight. “It ain’t gonna come to that,” he said evenly, his voice dropping a few octaves so that it was almost threatening. At the same time, his pulse quickened with apparent worry. “I gotta get back tonight. My girls are waiting.”

He let those words hang in the air for a moment, making it clear that he was unwilling to discuss it further; he had made up his mind, and there was nothing Michaels could say or do to change it. He had already neglected his family and acted on impulse to go on this little jaunt, he wasn’t about to complicate things further.

They continued on in silence after that, trekking up the steep slope for another hour or so until they could finally see the crest of the hill in the distance. With a sigh, the Sheriff stood back and sighed with relief – things were finally starting to look up. By this point, the rain had stopped as well...

And that’s when the horrible stench permeated his senses and made his eyes and nose burn with its intensity.

“Smell that?” Michaels asked as he stepped forward with his flashlight.

Jack didn’t respond except for a small cough. He instinctively brought his sleeve up to cover his nose and mouth and winced. He knew that smell; he knew it all too well…

”Something died here."

Clearing his throat, the Sheriff moved to join Michaels with his flashlight, the beam cautiously sweeping back and forth as he searched the area. “Let’s just hope it was from natural causes...a deer, or something like that.”

15. DarkLordoftheFins

Apr 2, 2007
    John Carver and Anna Mason
    The Hotel Bar

Anna followed him with a mild smile.

"Nice. Idyllic. Boring sometimes. I think it usually is a very calm place to be a deputy. But small towns have their limitations. Especially when it comes to private life."

She entered the hotel first and went to the receptionist. He stayed back and gave the words some thought. Jane had been single, too. Desired. Watched. Yet, lonely. He had known that from the start. The whole flat radiated loneliness.

Coming back with a key Anna smiled. "It also has it's advantages to know people." She grinned and passed him on the way to the small and old fashioned hotel bar. It looked more like an Irish pub than a fancy hotel bar, really. Wooden furniture and fish and flags hanging on the walls. The large flatscreen was not on, of course. Anna went straight behind the bar. "What do you have?" She asked. John gave the bar a look. "Bourbon." He said. "Straight." Anna turned half and smiled at him.

"Good choice." She took two tumblers and filled them both half full.

"What do you mean? Limitations?" He asked. Anna shrugged.

"If you don't like fishermen the single market around here is not exactly thrilling." She sighed.

"I had the feeling there was at least one man who had an interest in you." John took his tumbler and smiled. The short bit between Ethan Wilson and the Sheriff had been more of a hunch, but he saw now he had been right. Anna sighed and sat next to him. "Yeah." She replied and felt obviously uncomfortable.

John raised his hand. "Professional habit to recognize such things. Sorry about that." He laughed, trying to make things easier for her.

"I got that vibe, too. But it isn't as if he ever did anything about it. He is also my Boss." She said and raised her glass before taking a sip.

"You talk about the Sheriff?" John asked shocked and Anna's head snapped towards him.

"Yes, I mean you ... didn't?" He could see her panic and released her from the shock with a loud laughter.

"Oh you damned ..." She laughed, too. Ten she turned serious. "He got kids. A widower, you know? Sometimes I think he just likes to have a crush. Makes him feel like a man, you know? I usually try to ignore it. I mean, he is the Sheriff." She waited a second. "You think he is a good Sheriff?" She asked then.

"Too early to judge. But I can already tell you I met worse than him." John took a sip of his Bourbon and raised his brows. "That is a nice one." Anna smiled.

"Seriously, don't overestimate him being the boss. Work place romance, happens everywhere." He watched her and she smiled.

"Even at the FBI?" She asked.

"Are you kidding me? All the time. Half our female agents are married to male agents." John wondered silently if it wasn't even more.

"How about you? You seem to have a rather active lovelife. I mean Jane Masters. That is quite a trophy around here." Anna grinned at him.

"Actually that was more her doing. I usually don't do this." He smiled at her. He felt kinda embarrassed she knew.

"Really? A shame." She replied and looked straight at him.

John just looked back at her. That was quite a move. Was it that what attracted her? Did she think he was experienced? Open to the possibilities of a short holiday fling?

"You aren't the shy girl your colleagues think you are." John replied and gave her a smile.

"That is my Mexican quarter." She laughed. "Sorry if I embarrassed you."

"Not at all. I was considering it." John replied. "But that would be a distraction. I don't wanna be distracted. Not until we know what happened to her."

Anna nodded. "Fair enough." She sighed. "Then this is two cops having a drink. Let's talk that case. Where do you think we find her?"

John looked at her. Of course she was curious. He nodded and just said: "Okay."

Then he looked at her. "Two options. Buried in the woods or in the sea." He said. He emptied his glass.

"You think she is ..." Anna was visibly shocked.

"One drink. That was the deal. Goodnight Anna." He stood up and gave her a last smile.

As he walked away Anna emptied her own glass. "Once this is over we should do this again, Special Agent John." She said. He turned and kept walking backwards.

"Yes. We should." He simply replied and left.

----

In his room he spread the pages of the file carefully on the floor and put the sign no to be disturbed out. Then he brushed his teeth and kept on thinking about the dream. He had everything he needed in front of him. That was what Jane said. Too tired to figure it out he went to bed, to get at least a few hours of sleep.

16. SirakRomar

Mar 30, 2007
    A beach called Brasil

Laura did not follow Miles though. Instead she looked after Kyle leaving and only when he was vanishing between the trees on the only road of the beach she turned and walked over to the water. She was clearly in thoughts. Kyle had disturbed her with his short outburst.

Carly wasn't disturbed at all and came running to the water, kicking into it making the distracted Miles wet and laughed. That left Sam with Rob and it was probably his chance to make his move. When Laura finally reached the water she smiled and then jumped right in.

"You see the ... oh dammit what is the English word? This swimming sing with the light on it?" Laura smiled. "You want a race? Then let's see who can swim there fastest!" And without a word she jumped into the water and began to swim.

Streets and the Wilson's house

Ethan gave her a concerned look. "You must have brought it somewhere in the half hour that's missing." He simply stated the obvious truth. He looked at Julia and sighed. "Don't worry we are gonna find it."

But she saw his concern, how irritated he was. He kept on driving and yawned dangerously long. "I need to sleep. I really do." He just said and the town was pretty small so they arrived at their house. "Did you make copies of the book? Fotos? Anything to have a look?"

He got out of the car and slowly walked up to their front door. "If Jane is alive I think the book has nothing to do with her case, but I heard rumors you know? It might have been something Sheriff Mailer desperately was looking for before ... you know ... before he did what made Jack. Ew Sheriff." Opening the door she saw he was fighting to keep his thoughts clear.

Brownback Hills

Michaels suddenly stopped waving his flashlight and stumbled a step back. "No fraking way." He gasped. Now the Sheriff saw it too. At first it looked like a small brown hill in the woods. But then he saw the blood. It was a bear and a pretty big one. It lay dead between the trees and was ripped open ... his whole back was ripped apart and gave a view on his spine, which shined pale in the moonlight. Michaels took a few steps to the giant dead animal and looked at it, the light wandering over it. The jaw of the beast was shattered. "What in Gods name can do something like this to a bear?" He asked and looked at the Sheriff. From the smell the bear had been dead for a day already.

17. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    Brasil, Candlewood

Miles was surprised when he turned and saw that Laura wasn't running after him towards the water, but watching Kyle's Jeep fade off into the distance. His stomach turned a bit at this, wondering what was going through her head as she watched his taillights disappear into the blackness of the trees beyond. Miles was walking backwards, now up to his thighs in the cool water, watching as Carly came running into the water, splashing him with her feet and laughing. He grinned and splashed her back. "Two can play that game," he joked, eyes fully on the newcomer as he noticed Laura approaching in his periphery.

"You see the... oh dammit, what is the English word?" Laura spoke after she joined Miles and Carly in the water. "The swimming thing with the light on it? You want a race? Then let's see who can swim there fastest!"

Without waiting for a response, Laura dove into the water and began swimming further out into the water, similar to the way Miles had left her on the beach a moment ago. Like her, he didn't immediately follow.

"The buoy?" Miles looked out in the distance and saw it floating there. "Pretty far out..." He looked over at Carly, the darker complected of the three friends, who stood in the water near him. He was struck by how beautiful she looked there, standing with an elegance not unlike Laura's. "What do you think, should we follow her?"

18. JediMasterAnne

Apr 24, 2004
    Streets/Wilson Residence

"You must have brought it somewhere in the half hour that's missing,” Ethan said, stating the obvious. "Don't worry we are gonna find it."

Reassuring as he tried to be, Julia could tell he was annoyed. And tired. As the thought went through her head, he yawned hugely. "I need to sleep. I really do.” As they pulled up in front of their house, he asked, “Did you make copies of the book? Fotos? Anything to have a look?"

Though she was certain she’d seen them there, she still double-checked to make sure the copies were, indeed, still there. “Professor Fallon made copies,” she replied. “He has a set of them, and Dad, and me.”

Ethan got out of the car and slowly walked up to their front door, Julia following after. "If Jane is alive I think the book has nothing to do with her case, but I heard rumors you know? It might have been something Sheriff Mailer desperately was looking for before ... you know ... before he did what made Jack. Ew Sheriff." Opening the door she saw he was fighting to keep his thoughts clear.

She did wonder what the book might have had to do with the former Sheriff Mailer, but as Ethan yawned again, she decided now was definitely not the time to ask. It had been a strange day for her, and a very long and stressful one for Ethan. Perhaps in the morning things would straighten themselves out. “Go to bed, I’ll lock up and be along in a bit.” Holding up the copies from the book, she added, “I just want to make sure to put these in a safe place.”

19. TheSithGirly

TheSithGirly Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2007
    ooc: Combined with SirakRomar

Sidney Barnes
    Croft Estate, Reception

Sidney took the book and watched him leave rather speechless. For the first time she considered the man might simply be insane. It would explain a lot.

Even if it was the case two objectives could be served here. Maybe by playing along with his illusions she would get what she wanted ... or at least she would understand his madness and be able to use it against him.

So she went over to the chesterfield seat and opened the book. Handwritten. German. It seemed to be rather old. Sidney raised her brows as she began to skip through the pages. One page caught her interest. She could not read a word of the German, but she thought the picture was familiar.

[​IMG]
    Stars? Were this maps of stars? Leaning back she looked at the picture and then compared it to earlier pictures. These dots and connecting lines had a strange calming effect on her. Before she could identify the Source of this though, she heard it.

A gnarling sound. As if something was biting or chewing on bones. Of course Sidney did not know she was not the first to hear that sound. No, otherwise she would have understood she was the first one to hear it right behind her. Right behind her, as if only the armchair was between her and whatever made the noise.

Sidney jumped up and looked where the sound came from. The book clashed to the ground. But there was nothing. The sound was still there. Right behind her, even closer ... as if ... as if ...

20. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    The Brownback Hills

“Goddamn,” Jack uttered with a small gasp. The mangled corpse lay a few paces beyond Michaels in the wet brush, the grotesque husk glistening crudely in the pale glow of the moon that had now broken through the cloud cover above. The Sheriff had seen his fair share of hunting accidents and roadkill over the years, but nothing quite like this. A wave of nausea instantly washed over him as his stomach clenched and then flip-flopped as if he was on a ship lost on a rough sea. He thought for sure he was going to expel what remained of his dinner right there at Michaels’ feet, but fortunately he was able to keep things under control. He swallowed a few times before the sensation passed. His hand must’ve still been shaking, though, because the beam of his flashlight was dancing all over the place.

"What in God’s name can do something like this to a bear?" Michaels exclaimed as he took a step back to regard the Sheriff carefully.

Lowering the flashlight to save himself from further embarrassment, Jack briefly closed his eyes and shook his head slowly, the gesture barely perceptible in the darkness. Finally, he found his voice. “I...uh, I think I better call the game commission on this one,” he stammered, his free hand instinctively reaching for the phone clipped to his belt. He fumbled with it for a moment before he remembered what Michaels had said about the metal in the hills and how it blocked cell reception. This elicited a series of curses that the Sheriff made no attempt to censor.

When he had calmed down enough to speak rationally, Jack’s face had grown pale. His blue eyes had also faded to a dull gray, his gaze clearly haunted by what he had seen; the mutilated bear had shaken him more than he cared to admit. “We...we can’t stay here,” he muttered under his breath, his voice bereft of all conviction. As a distraction, he removed his hat and wiped his brow with the back of his hand. Despite the air turning cool after the rain, he was sweating.

“It’s not safe...I-I should probably go back and call in reinforcements to do this the right way. T-they can cover a lot more ground than the two of us. If Jane is out there, they have a better chance of finding her, especially with...” He trailed off and gestured to the twisted corpse, but he dared not look at it again. “This changes everything.”

And yet, he still found himself moving ahead...

Without another word, Jack moved past Michaels with slow, uneven steps. At this point, it seemed as if he was only going through the motions, as if someone had switched him to ‘automatic’ and his muscles were propelling him forward of their own accord. He staggered a moment, seeming to realize what was happening, but still not entirely sure. He was wavering, lost in his own daze. Finally, he paused and glanced up toward the top of the hill and sighed heavily. “Damn you, Jane,” he mumbled to himself.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
  21. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    IC: James Power
    Home

The mayor offered a brief scowl, but lightened up after a moment. His son knew him too well, he shouldn't be surprised the boy saw through his act.
    Still, he couldn't shake the nervous feeling that had invaded his mind.
    "If you see her, tell her to call me!" He called as his son left the room.

With that done James shook his head, and looked to the fridge. At this point he doubted he would get back to sleep, so maybe he would just have some breakfast and head out. Was the Sherriff awake this early in the morning? If he got a head start on that then it would lighten up this days schedule significantly.

22. SirakRomar

Mar 30, 2007
    A beach called Brasil

Carly looked after Laura taking off. It was pretty clear she had practice. She was very fast. "I am not that good a swimmer. Usually just try to look good in a Bikini." She giggled a bit, obviously lightly drunk, but looked after Laura. "Hey Laura! It is too far!" She yelled, and stood there. But Laura kept on swimming. "Oh my, she is quite a girl, is she?" Carly laughed and shrugged. "I go back to the others. Can't keep up with her." Carly laughed and her slender body gracefully stepped out of the water and she made her way back to Rob and Sammy. Sammy was now dancing by the fire. Rob was sitting there watching and enjoying his drink.

Streets and the Wilson's house

Ethan nodded. "Thanks Honey." He smiled at her and went straight to the bedroom, taking of his gunbelt. She heard him lock away the gun and taking of his clothes while she locked up.

It was when she locked the front door the sound suddenly came back. Louder. Closer than before. But no matter how much she turned and looked, it always seemed to come from behind. The gnawing, the screeching of something biting on bones ... or hard wood. And then there was something that sounded like breathing ... like her own breathing echoed through the sound.

Brownback Hills

Michaels snarled in the dark, had one last look at the bear and then ... also he had dealt a bit better with it than the Sheriff ... turned away from the bear.

"No bites. Whatever did this, it has not eaten of the bear ..." He mumbled to himself. Shaking his head he looked at Collins, as he wanted reinforcement. "Two hours back? Jack ..." He called him with his first name for the very first time ever. As if fears united them in a way they had never been before. "Either whatever did this is gone, or it is a territorial Hunter and that means we are in his territory. At night. With only one useful gun and three shots." He sighed. "And sorry to say that but you are noisy." His gaze went into the dark woods while talking, the flashlight leading his gaze. The light quickly became diffuse and did not reveal too much in the darkness. "If it tracks us we will never make it back to the street." He now checked the other side. "Same for the top of the hill. We won't make it there either." He shrugged. "Remember the lodge? We can't be more than half an hour away by now." He looked at the Sheriff. "We got a radio there I believe. One with a signal enhancer." A long look at the Sheriff and Michaels understood suddenly he was the expert out here. He wasn't working for the man. He was responsible for him. "Dammit, let us move. We go to the lodge." It was a decision. Not a request.

The Croft Estate

The book dropped to the ground as a single high scream could be heard from the salon. It died down as sudden as it had appeared. Outside Carl smiled and went over to the door of the salon to lock it.

He listened but heard nothing. He did not look inside. He had made this mistake once and would never do it again. Then the door trembled once as if something was jumping against it. Carl jumped back and laughed out, but this was more of a hysterical laughter. Quickly he left the entrance hall, trying to get as many doors and locks as possible between the salon and himself.

Tag: @TheSithGirly

Hotel Room 111, Ocean Hotel

On John's laptop he had a single message from Alfred among the usual spam mails.

Got a Request from Sheriff in Washington, shall we consider you active again? A.

Otherwise this was the same small but comfortable room John had been in for over a months now.

Tag: @DarkLordoftheFins

The Power House and beyond

Indeed he found no sleep, nor did Grace come back. Also the Sheriff was not available, as he was investigating in the woods. His office expected him back "any minute" though. Obviously he was overdue.

So all that was left was to go to the office. A bunch of strange emails had arrived. First Maria Burns had asked for an emergency council meeting that evening and than she had cancelled it again. Her mail said, that after looking into it she had found out the matter she wanted to address was a matter of great seriousness, but not of such urgency it needed an emergency meeting. Charles Croft confirmed he had an offer prepared by the evening. Prof. Fallon had found a solution for his problem and thanked the major. Sidney Barnes had written that the Hades Fund had no longer interest in the observatory after observing the Brownback Hills. Politely she thanked the Major for his support. Sam Lawrence asked to talk later, as he had found something. Martha Goodwin, the mother of a friend of Max called Rob asked if Rob had been staying with them. She had tried the landline and it had not worked. But her boy had not come home that night. The Candlewood Astrology Society invited to a soirée. The Major had not been aware Candlewood entertained such a society. Charles Croft was listed as a sponsor and the soirée would take place in the Yachtclub.

Not a word from Grace. Nobody had heard of her or seen her since she had left the committee the evening before.

Tag: @ConservativeJedi321

23. JediMasterAnne

Apr 24, 2004
    Wilson Residence

Ethan headed straight for their bedroom, and Julia heard him lock up his gun for the night (he kept it in a case under his side of the bed). Then the scuffing of dresser drawers opening and closing as he got ready for bed. Considering how long he’d been up, she was surprised he didn’t flop onto the bed and pass out fully clothed.

As she locked the front door, she noticed another sound as well—that sound, again. “Dammit,” she muttered. It was louder this time, and though she again looked all around for the source, it always seemed to be just at her back. And this time, there was something else. Like…breathing.

Was she just hearing her own breathing, was there a weird echo going on, along with that grinding noise? Besides Ethan, there wasn’t anyone else in the house.

Why did she keep hearing this sound?

Taking the copies from the book with her, she went to the bedroom. Still worried about blanking out again, Julia didn’t want to be by herself if she could help it.

She set the copies in her nightstand drawer, so they’d be right there when she got up in the morning. She sat down on the edge of the bed and kicked off her shoes, then just sat there for a few moments, trying to just listen to the familiar noises of Ethan getting ready for bed, or the patter of the rain outside. Trying to focus on any other sound.

“I can hear it again,” she finally said. She wasn’t sure if it was a good idea to tell Ethan—he’d worry, of course—but she was getting very freaked out by this sound. She didn’t want to go to bed and then wake up to find herself on the other side of town. “That weird grinding sound. You probably can’t, but it’s there. It feels like it’s right behind me, but I turn around and there’s nothing there. And it’s different this time, there’s another sound on top of it, like someone breathing down my neck.”

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
  24. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    Brasil, Candlewood

Miles watched as Carly stepped out of the water and headed back to the rest of the group by the fire, wondering why she'd come out there in the first place. Just to get her feet wet, or show off her figure in a swimsuit maybe, he shrugged off the thought and looked back out to Laura heading deeper and deeper into the water towards the distant buoy. He knew he couldn't just leave her out there alone, and shook his head at what was clearly a bad idea.

"I have a bad feeling about this," he muttered to himself as he inhaled sharply and dove into the cool water, following Laura out into the darkness.

25. DarkLordoftheFins

Apr 2, 2007
    John Carver
    Hotel Room

The message on his laptop was something he would deal with later. Also this was only a distraction.

John woke up almost disappointed Dream-Jane had not paid him another visit. He had hoped the same subconscious power he had originally experienced in Jane's flat would reveal in his sleep what he was overlooking.

He had no such luck. Instead he went to his suitcase and opened it. He got out fresh clothes and then grabbed below his underwear and pulled out his gun. Actually this had been his secondary weapon and he had always wondered if he should bring it. Now he was happy he did. He sat down and pulled the holster over his ankle fixating it there. Then he took out the gun and checked it. A Taurus 9mm revolver. Five shots. Nothing fancy. It was practical it was 9mm because he had not needed two different kinds of ammo. It was also light and small. It wasn't precise or had any considerable fire power, but with a wide trouser it was almost invisible at his ankle.

[​IMG]
    Then he took his mobile and typed in the numbers of Wilson, Anna and the Sheriff. He formed a whatsapp group and send a simple message.

10 AT JANES FLAT. LET US SEE WHAT WE GOT.

He lay it aside and put his trousers on. Last he took a black shirt and his jacket. He checked the gun did not show in the mirror. He was satisfied and left the room to have breakfast. You never knew when you would have another meal when you were on a case. So this was probably his only chance to eat today. He had learned to take these chances when they presented themselves over the years.