main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Horror Candlewood

Discussion in 'Role Playing Forum' started by SirakRomar, Apr 6, 2018.

1. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    IC: Sheriff Jack Collins
    The Brownback Hills

Jack stood rigidly with his back facing Michaels, his right hand clenched tightly around the strap of his shotgun and his eyes still focused on the crest of the hill. The bear remained at the forefront of his mind...that twisted, mangled corpse. It had left an imprint on his memory that would linger for a very long time. One simply didn’t forget something that grotesque. The thought of it still turned his stomach...

Of course, that meant it also left him vulnerable. He barely acknowledged Michaels when he addressed him by his first name...or maybe he just didn’t care. The Sheriff merely angled his head toward the ground and sighed. He knew what was coming next, and he couldn’t say he disagreed with the man’s assessment – Jack was noisy, and he was also woefully out of his element when it came to ‘the great outdoors.’ That had become abundantly clear when they had crossed paths with the bear. As much as he hated to admit it, Jack was at the mercy of Michaels’ direction and advice.

"Remember the lodge?” the former deputy asked as he turned to look at the Sheriff.

Finally tearing his gaze away from the top of the hill, Jack only gave Michaels a short nod. A small voice at the back of his mind continued to warn him not to go through with this, that he had to get home to his kids, but what other choice did he have? He had come this far. It wouldn't do him any good to get marred by the same predator that had killed the bear...

“We can't be more than half an hour away by now. We got a radio there I believe. One with a signal enhancer." The other man paused and gave the Sheriff a knowing look. Something else crossed over his features in that moment, but it was hard to decipher in the dark. It was enough to send a chill down Jack’s spine.

"Dammit, let us move. We go to the lodge."

Jack uttered a curse, and again wiped desperately at his brow. “I should’ve known you’d try to take over, John,” he muttered quietly with a wan smile. It was hard to tell whether it was said in jest, or if he intended it as a veiled insult. Whatever the case, he started to trudge forward to meet him. “I guess I walked right into this one, huh?”

With a sigh, Jack gave an exaggerated wave with his hand. “Lead the way.”

TAG: @SirakRomar

2. SirakRomar

SirakRomar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2007
    A beach called Brasil

It was tougher getting to the buoy than expected. Laura was quite an impressive swimmer to make it that quickly.

She was sitting on the metal rim around the buoy as Miles finally made it there. "There is my hero." She smiled, now back as her old self. "Carly got cold feet? What was that? A fashion show for her Bikini?" Laura laughed at Miles and her hand clapped to the place next to her. "C'mon, it is beautiful up here. Just look at these stars!" She laughed. She laughed right at him. Probably she had know Carly wouldn't be able to keep up. Probably this was a very challenging way to get some privacy.

Tag: @Reynar_Tedros

The Wilson's house

Once she heard anything else, the gnarling seemed to grow more distant. But it was still there. When she told Ethan he snapped up in bed and stared at her. Concern, love and confusion mixed in his look. Finally he did the only thing he could. He took her into his arms.

"We get you to a Doctor, okay? Don't worry. I keep you safe. Nothing will happen to you, I swear." He trembled slightly, probably from exhaustion. Finally he kissed her forehead and grabbed into the sideboard next to the bed and produced the sleeping pills he sometimes used to regulate his sleeping habits when he had nightshift. "Take two. I think sleeping is the best we can do. Tomorrow you should see Angela." He talked about Angela Goodwin, the local psychologist. She was usually doing summer holidays in Candlewood, but she saw patients. Ethan had referred several citizens to her when he became aware of serious problems through his job.

"I know she will make time for you." He held her for a few more minutes and actually this seemed to help. Slowly the sound faded away. Until it was gone.

Tag: @JediMasterAnne

Brownback Hills

Michaels turned half and threw him a tired smile. "If I make it back and you don't everybody will think I arranged a little hunting accident. Just trying to avoid the questions, you know?" He answered and then suddenly stopped. He put his finger to his mouth to indicate the Sheriff to be silent.

And indeed there was a sound. It sounded as if something was moving through the woods, pushing away grass and stepping on branches on the ground. Michaels grabbed behind him and drew some large binoculars from his belt. Night vision googles. He looked behind them and obviously saw nothing. The sound was gone. "It follows us." He whispered. Slowly he raised his gun and waved the Sheriff to move on.

Tag: @HanSolo29

The Ocean Hotel, Breakfast Room

The Breakfast room was pretty filled up, as summer season was bringing tourists in. John had a reserved table by now though and Jenny, the morning waitress brought him his black coffee without asking.

Not unlike the morning before his breakfast was disturbed by an uninvited person sitting down at his table though.

"You are the FBI, are you?" An older and unshaved man asked him, who was wearing a white summer suit and glasses. "I am Dr. Morgan Chandler and I need to talk to you." He simply proclaimed. "I am the local doc. The only one in Candlewood." He said this as if it held some special meaning.

Tag: @DarkLordoftheFins

End of Episode 2

ConservativeJedi321 likes this.
  3. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    IC: Miles Rayburn
    Brasil, Candlewood

Miles was exhausted by the time he finally made it to the buoy, and by the end of his journey his swimming speed had dwindled to barely faster than a crawl.

"There is my hero," Laura said as he arrived, and Miles was sure there was some playful sarcasm in her voice.

"Some hero I am," he looked up at her and smiled back, grabbing the metal railing on the side of the buoy and floating in the water for a bit, regaining a little bit of energy before he'd pull himself up. That might be the most beautiful woman I've ever seen, Miles thought to himself as he watched Laura sitting there, dots of water reflecting off her skin in the moonlight, savoring one last touch before they evaporated into the night forever. He envied them.

"Carly got cold feet? What was that? A fashion show for her bikini?"

Miles shrugged, not wanting to think of anyone else. "I think we're too adventurous for her. Or she thought Rob would make for better company."

Laura laughed and clapped her hand on the platform where she sat. "C'mon, it is beautiful up here. Just look at these stars!"

"You and those stars," Miles said, pulling himself up out of the water and onto the platform with a worn out sigh. He thought about sitting next to her, but then he considered the size of the buoy. Luckily he wasn't a very tall man, and decided that it was just long enough for what he wanted to do. So he scooted over further away from Laura, and then leaned over and put his elbow down between them and adjusted his body so that he now laid flat on his back. He then scooted his body backwards closer to Laura, lifted his head up and rested the back of it on her lap, his eyes looking up at the darkened sky dotted with stars all around, hands folded over his stomach, the cool wind slowly drying him. "Beautiful," he said, and looked into Laura's eyes in a way that he hadn't before. In a way that told her that, in that moment, he was hers.

Cheeseball.

Tag: @SirakRomar

4. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    The Brownback Hills

Despite the haze that continued to cloud his thoughts, Jack allowed a wry grin to spread over his features. It wasn’t a full return to his former self, but it was an improvement; Michaels’ comment provided just enough levity to lighten the mood and help restore some of his confidence. It wasn’t ideal, but he would take it for now – anything to get his mind off that damn bear…

Unfortunately, it wouldn’t last. Michaels soon came up short and turned to silence the Sheriff by pressing his index finger firmly to his lips. He then proceeded to pull a pair of night vision goggles from his belt and peered through them to survey their surroundings.

Where the hell did he get the resources to gather that kind of equipment?

Normally, this would have struck Jack as odd, but under the circumstances, he wasn’t in the mood to argue. He merely shuffled to a halt and stared at the man, his pulse quickening once more with nervous anticipation. For a moment, the only sound he heard was the beating of his own heart pounding relentlessly in his ears, but after a series of steadying breaths, it gave way to something far more sinister – a rustling noise, almost as if something was moving stealthily through the brush. Instinctively, Jack unslung the shotgun from his shoulder – ignoring Michaels’ earlier criticism about it being useless – and brought it to bear across his chest.

He tilted his head, trying to pinpoint the location of the strange stirring, but it was nearly impossible with the darkness closing in around them; it played havoc with the senses, making it seem as if the sound was echoing all around them. Jack was breathing heavily now, the hair on his arms and the back of his neck standing on end as if in warning...

Just when he felt the urge to run, the sound suddenly faded and dissipated into the night. This brought a sigh of relief...but it was only a brief reprieve before Michaels stepped in with more bad news.

"It follows us," he whispered gravely as he lowered the goggles from his eyes. Without waiting for an acknowledgement, Michaels raised the gun and hurriedly waved the Sheriff forward.

While Jack complied with the man’s wishes and immediately turned to begin their trek toward the lodge, he wasn’t entirely satisfied. There was something about Michaels’ tone that had set him on edge...it was almost as if he had seen this before. Was that possible?

With his brow creased with concern, the Sheriff craned his neck to look over his shoulder as he moved. “What the hell is it?” he returned in the same quiet tone, his voice almost frantic. “Dammit, John...if you’ve dealt with something like this before, you better start talking!”

5. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    IC: James Power
    The Office

As the hours ticked by the Mayor's mind kept drifting back to his wife. There was no way she would leave him on his own this long, he felt lost without her. James wasn't use to keeping so close an eye on his own schedule, and the stress was real.

The fact that he was unable to contact the sheriff didn't make it any easier, but he pushed forward anyways.
    Upon reading his emails the Mayor recalled that he should set up a meeting with Maria Burns and the other councilors before the council gathered later in the week. It would certainly be wise for them to lay out what to expect when the various parties gathered beforehand. The lead up to this was far too suspicious for him. If there was an ulterior motive in the sale it would be for the best if she and the others were as skeptical as him.

Skimming through the remaining emails, his concern did not subside. What had changed Sidney Barnes Mind? Did Charles Croft say something? None of this made any sense to him. He would have to meet with Sam later that night, perhaps he could fill in the blanks.

When he came upon the email from Martha, his heart practically stopped. As far as James knew, Rob had not stayed the night at his house, and if he was missing the coincidence was too much for Power to bare.
    After barely glancing at the last email, an invitation of some sort to the Yacht Club; James stood up and grabbed his phone and keys of his desk.
    He had to talk to Martha, it was his responsibility as Mayor to ensure the wellbeing of his citizens.
    And maybe, just Maybe, he would find Grace along the way.

6. JediMasterAnne

JediMasterAnne Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 24, 2004
    IC: Julia Wilson
    Wilson Residence

The sound seemed to grow faint; at least she could focus on other things, but Julia could still hear it under everything else.

At least Ethan had some idea of what to do, even if it was just to comfort her and offer a couple of his sleeping pills, which was more than she probably would have thought of if the situation had been reversed—what did you do when your spouse was hearing things you couldn’t? And a visit with Angela couldn’t hurt.

“I’ll call and set up an appointment with her first thing tomorrow,” Julia said. Another thought occurred to her. “And I want to check on Dad in the morning; he maybe should see her, too. He said he was hearing it, too.”

She finished getting ready for bed, and took the pills Ethan had given her before settling back in bed. Hopefully the medicine would knock her out enough that she wouldn’t do anything strange. Ethan pulled her close, and the sound finally, gradually, seemed to go away, and Julia fell asleep.

7. SirakRomar

Mar 30, 2007
    Episode 3: The Kids Are Not Alright

... blood is shed and the countdown is set ...

[​IMG]
    The Harbor

They met in the earliest morning, before even the most obsessed of the fishermen appeared for work and hours after the night fishers had arrived and cleared their ships. They were three. All had their hoods over their heads as agreed so even if someone watched from afar it would be impossible to make out their faces. One was a smaller woman, obviously. The other two were tall men. They stood in a triangle so they could look at each other.

"Where is Michaels?" The woman asked.

"Not coming." This was an elder man talking with a rather raspy voice.

"So it is true." The woman said with a defeated tone in her voice. "As incredible as it sounds everything you told us is happening again. Only worse."

An older man replied with his raspy voice. "Yes. It is the same."

The younger man nodded. "We need to find out what it is that is actually happening. We see the symptoms, but we do not know the illness."

"What about the book?" The woman asked.

"I got a copy. But I am unsure if we should read it. You know what happened last time." The elder man said.

There was a silence as all of them considered the words. The woman nodded finally.

"Julia Wilson is on it. Let her do the work on the book. For her it is too late anyway." The woman said.

"We do not know that." The younger man said. "Not everybody was affected the same way."

"No. They were not. But I agree, let her do the book." The older man said and sighed. "I looked through Jane Masters papers." He finally said. This time the silence was longer and more oppressive.

"And?" The younger man finally said.

"She did what she did and she was a smart girl. Her calculations are impressive for an amateur. Had problems to understand ..."

"When is it happening?" The younger man clearly lost his patience.

The older man looked up at the others. "Tonight. 23:21. It happens tonight."

"No, no that can't be." The woman gasped. "It is not enough time. After all we did, all I sacrificed it cannot be too late."

"All you did?" The younger man snapped his head to her. "All YOU did?!"

The woman lowered her head. "All we did." She finally said in a voice that was apologizing.

"We are running out of time, but so are they. One day to secure their precious observatory? The major won't sell it within a day." The older man replied.

"Yes he will. They will make him sell it." The woman sighed.

"No he won't." The younger man said with a stern voice.

"What do you wanna do?" The woman asked.

"Whatever is necessary." He replied.

"Again?" The elder man asked.

"What can we do? We can't evacuate the town, we can't go to the police anymore and even if we could ... they would not believe us." He shrugged. "Any better ideas?"

"Violence is not the solution ..." The woman said.

"If we don't act by midnight everybody in this town will be dead. Tomorrow morning latest. It happened before. We are the only ones who know. If we don't act, everybody is lost. So we three run or we three fight. I want to fight."

The others did not say a word and nodded in silent agreement.

Tag: Nobody, Everybody

A beach called Brasil

Laura smiled and leaned over him. Her eyes were shining in the dark and she took her time for the inevitable kiss, that was lingering between them.

It never happened.

A scream cut the night and Laura snapped up, looking at the beach. "Not again. I start to hate Rob." She laughed. But then she looked at the beach. "The fire is out." She just said and another scream came, this time from Rob. It sounded not like cold beer had been the cause. "Help! Help!" This was Sammy. Then Robs scream died down. And there was a hiss, so loud it carried over the sea to the two.

"If that is another joke ..." Laura hissed and tried to see their friends in the dark.

The Wilson's house

The pills worked fast and without any sound except Ethan's rhythmic breathing she fell asleep a few minutes after her exhausted husband.

When she woke, she had the strange realisation she was not truly awake. In the dark on the chair nearby she saw a figure sitting, her legs were crossed and Julia would recognize the graceful movements of the shadowy figure anywhere in the world. It was Jane.

"Don't be afraid Julia, it is only me and it is only a dream." Jane said with a calm voice. "I am sorry about the book. I did not realize it's dangers until it was to late and then I could not warn you not to take it anymore." Jane sighed. "It began already, did it? The sounds. You hear them, do you?"

Office of the Major

He barely made it out of the door of his office, when he almost bumped into a young woman standing in front of his office. She looked vaguely familiar. "Major Power, I need to talk to you." She said and forced a very artificial smile on her face. She was probably eighteen at best. But hell, she looked strangely adult. That was what people meant when they talked about old souls.

"I have no appointment, but it is about your wife." The girl said and this unnerving smile stayed on her face.

Tag: @ConservaticeJedi321

Brownback Hills

Michaels did not even care to answer, he kept his rifle pointed at the tree line and his night vision in front of his eyes. Then there was a gnawing sound behind them, it ripped through the night like the death scream of a reality no longer valid. It was a tree pushed aside. No. It were several trees pushed aside.

"Run!" Was all Michaels could say, before he took off himself. Whatever it was, it came closer and fast!

"Run, run, run!" Michaels voice was now a single repeating yell as he passed the Sheriff moving much faster on the uneven terrain than the elder man.

Dr. Chandler cleared his throat and looked at John. Then he folded his hands and began to talk. "I have become aware of a strange phenomenon, you should probably know about. A number of people seem to have ... they seem to have auditory hallucinations. The strange thing is, they all hear the same. A sound as if something is chewing on bone or hard wood. It appears behind them and no matter how often they turn, it seems to follow them and is always behind them. Some of these patients have attested, that the sound has vanished again. But I have reason to doubt this. Actually some have shown paranoid behavior, while at least one of them seemed to experience a sort of ... identity crisis. None of them seem to have talked to the other. But they all share this hallucination." He looked at John and sighed. "You understand what I am trying to say?" He leaned forward. "I am bound to secrecy about the identity of my patients, of course." He stopped and the next thing seemed to be hard to say. "I have encountered this phenomenon once before. About ten years ago. This time it seems to be far worse. A lot more people seem to be affected."

8. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    Basil, Candlewood

Miles's heart had gone from racing because of the beautiful woman he was about to kiss, to racing because of the screams and the strange hiss that filled the air from the beach in the distance. He shot up and looked across the water with Laura, seeing the extinguished campfire and not much else in the darkness.

"If that is another joke," Laura began.

"Sure didn't sound like a joke," Miles responded, trying to mask the fear that dominated his mind as it ran through the possibilities of what was happening. "We should go back. If it's another joke, we'll leave. If not..." His voice trailed off, unsure of how to finish that sentence.

9. DarkLordoftheFins

DarkLordoftheFins Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2007
    John Carver
    Breakfast Room

Hallucinations? John would bet on drugs, but Candlewood seemed to be the least drug infected place he had ever been to. He had seen no sign of anything worse than alcohol abuse and a few youngsters doing Mary Jane.

"You are saying Jane Masters had these hallucinations?" He asked directly.

She had mentioned she had problems "with her ears" that night and used oropax for sleeping. He remembered that.

"About how many people are we talking here?" He asked and leaned forward. This seemed unrelated to her vanishing, but that meant little. He was still at the beginning of his investigation. Then he realized something else ...

"Ten years ago? It was the same?" His dream had told him about the connection to what happened ten years ago. There was the connection. Was she taken somehow because of what happened ten years ago? Or because she heard this strange sounds?

10. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    The Brownback Hills

The terrible crunching sound of snapping wood echoed through the trees and filled the area with a certain kind of dread. It was enough to root Jack in place; he did not immediately acknowledge Michaels’ desperate pleas to run...or maybe he simply did not hear him over the rising cacophony. Fear had gripped him in its clutches, and it wasn’t until he saw movement in the trees that he was able to snap out of his daze. The trees were…falling, almost as if something was mowing them down with meticulous precision.

The Sheriff gaped. How?!

"Run, run, run!" Michaels’ voice came again, more frantic this time as the other man rushed past him in a blur.

This time Jack did not hesitate. He turned and broke into a full sprint, seemingly unmindful of the uneven terrain and the wet underbrush of the forest floor. Such menial concerns didn’t seem to matter in this instance...he only wanted to survive. And so he pressed on, his eyes focused straight ahead on the scintillating patterns of Michaels’ flashlight as it bounced and weaved through the brush ahead of him. It was his beacon of hope, the light that was driving him to safety…

But even that was beginning to fade with each harried step. Jack knew he was pushing himself too hard; his head was beginning to pound in-time with the accelerated rate of his heart and he was now gasping for breath...hardly the regulated breathing patterns that his doctors had advised for any kind of cardiovascular activities. But hell, they weren’t running for their lives!

Still, he knew he couldn’t keep up this pace for much longer. For the moment, the adrenaline was sustaining him, but that could only go so far. He just hoped it was enough...

11. ConservativeJedi321

Mar 19, 2016
    James Power
    Office of the Mayor

James's mind was racing, with all that he had to take in. Had Max spoken to his friends about how his father was worried about his mother?
    The mayor knew that he hadn't spoken to anyone about Grace. Even when he called the Sherriff's office he hadn't specified his reason for doing so. They would most likely assume he just wanted to discuss their deputy situation.
    Then there was this new missing boy, Rob.
    Too many strange things happening in such a short period of time.

Even with all of that, and much more clouding his mind he maintained a rather calm demeanor. At least as much as could be expected given the circumstances. "Yes" He spoke after a deep breath. "Yes, please come in. I hope it's good news, I've been very worried."
    He attempted to smile, as he offered her a chair to sit in. But he knew it looked just as fake as it felt.
    "Please, what may I call you?"

12. JediMasterAnne

Apr 24, 2004
    Wilson Residence (technically)

For a moment, she wasn’t quite sure of where she was, and fearing she had blanked out again, Julia panicked. But after a few seconds, she got the strange feeling that wherever she was, it wasn’t quite real; that surreal moment when she realized that she was actually still asleep and dreaming, and not quite able to wake up.

A figure seemed to approach, taking a seat in a chair. There was something familiar about the way they moved, and when they leaned forward out of the shadows, Julia instantly recognized her.

It was Jane.

"Don't be afraid Julia, it is only me and it is only a dream." Jane said calmly, confirming Julia’s earlier suspicions. "I am sorry about the book. I did not realize it's dangers until it was to late and then I could not warn you not to take it anymore." Jane sighed. "It began already, did it? The sounds. You hear them, do you?"

Julia had so many questions, but one thing at a time. “Yes, I hear them. What is it? And what about the book?”

13. SirakRomar

Mar 30, 2007
    A beach called Brasil

Laura looked at Miles. "I don't know ... oh my God!"

Her eyes switched back to the beach as Sammy stumbled into view at the coast line. She stumbled and in the little light the moon spend for a moment they saw she was missing an arm ...

"Oh my God what is this ..." Laura stumbled as Sammy collapsed at the coastline and a cloud slowly moved over the moon again leaving the scene in complete darkness. Then there was a loud and cutting hiss. Leaving them alone in the darkness on the open sea.

"Miles, do you think they are ..." She did not dare to say dead .

The Wilson's house

"The sound? It is something coming. Something ancient and something beyond out comprehension. The book was written by a man who knew the secrets you seek. What is important for you is it is real. No Doctor will help you. It is real and it is very close and if you don't find a way to free yourself, it will consume you whole." Jane put her legs next to each other. "It is coming Julia. There is no way back now. You must see this through. It can be stopped. They would not have killed me if there was no way to stop it ..."

Office of the Major

The girl looked irritated as he asked her about her name and closed the door. "My name ... call me Alice."

Slowly she stepped to the Major's desk and took her backpack out. "Your wife is fine. But we have her and she will not stay that way if you do not fulfill our demands." Alice did suddenly not to be a teenager anymore. She said these words in a cool and cruel manner not thought possible from a girl that age. As if she never did anything else. She drew a paper from her backpack and put it on the desk. It was a contract selling the observatory to Charles Croft for three million USD.

Tag: @ConservativeJedi321

Brownback Hills

Michaels stopped as he felt the Sheriff was falling behind. He looked behind him and cursed. "It is half a mile down there." He pointed to the woods. Then he allowed the Sheriff to pass him and took aim with his rifle. "Don't slow down." He hissed and kept on standing between two trees, taking aim.

Obviously he planned to kill whatever was hunting them. The sound of whatever it was came closer. Trees and branches crashing and a hiss ... a deep long hiss ... or was it breathing? It was terrifying close.

The Doctor raised his hands. "I can't comment on patients. I can't even confirm Jane Masters was a patient of mine." He smiled a mild smile and then gave John a decisive nod.

"And ten years ago I had one patient. One patient who had this problem." He sighed. "I know there was a second one at the observatory. Someone I did not treat, so I can talk about him. Mr. Lee. I believe that was his name. James Lee or John Lee? There was contact between my patient and him. He left with everybody else when the observatory was shut down. Ten years ago." He looked at John again with a look of expectation. "You know how many cases of identical hallucinations exist? There are group psychosis of course. But my patients have mostly not talked to each other ... so this is not a group psychosis. This is people developing the same hallucinations for no apparent reason. No drugs involved. No poisoning. No physical problem with their ears." He leaned forward. "I did research and found only two other cases of similar symptoms. Both decades old, so possibly not reliable. In the last forty years this is unheard of!"

14. DarkLordoftheFins

Apr 2, 2007
    John Carver
    Breakfast Room

Jane had suffered from a very rare kind of hallucination which again lead to the still unknown events ten years ago. There was a connection. He knew it right away. He just could not see which. Who was the one ten years ago? The husband who killed his wife? At least the Doctor gave him one solid lead. Mr. Lee.

"What about the case forty years ago? And the third? What happened there? No a murder by accident." He sighed. "Could you assemble the files from ten years ago? I know you can't show them to me, but maybe you can look something up. I would come by once I checked Mr. Lee in a few hours."

He had an appointment with the Sheriff and his deputies soon. But after that he would look into it. Could be a distraction, but his gut really told him it might be the motive he was looking at here.

15. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    Basil, Candlewood

"Miles, do you think they are..."

Miles felt bile rising in this throat and had to will it back down, determined not to reveal the magnitude of the terror with which he was stricken. His body shook, cold and afraid. He didn't know what to say. They'd just seen one of Laura's closest friends collapse on the beach in the distance, clearly horrified, her arm decapitated. And then that hiss, a sound he knew he'd never forget as long as he lived. And he hoped and prayed that he'd live through whatever this was.

The clouds moved back over the moon, concealing it almost completely, and their surroundings were once again invisible to them. Miles could only hear the rapid heartbeat in his ears, the waves sounding distant.

"We can't go back," he said, unsuccessfully trying to maintain a steady voice. "Whatever it is, it might not know we're out here." And if it did, hopefully it couldn't swim.

16. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    The Brownback Hills

One half mile.

880 yards.

2,640 feet.

It really wasn’t all that bad, but under the circumstances, it could’ve gone on forever...almost as if he still had to complete several miles in a marathon run. While the adrenaline continued to propel him forward, the fatigue was really starting to set in; Jack’s legs felt like rubber, each muscle screaming out in agony with every step he took; his side also hurt and his chest constricted tightly with the lack of oxygen. As he approached Michaels’ current position, he instinctively began to slow down to catch his breath, but the former deputy was having none of it.

“Don’t slow down,” he admonished through clenched teeth, bringing his rifle around to make his stand.

Jack started to open his mouth to protest, but his throat was too dry. The most he could manage was a guttural grunt, which came out sounding more like a hoarse cough than anything that resembled his usual voice. Maybe that was for the best. An ominous hissing sound had now joined the devastating crunch of snapping tree limbs. It reminded Jack of the time he had accidentally stumbled upon a nest of snakes living beneath their front porch, but unlike the displaced snakes, this sound was more rhythmic in nature, almost as if it mimicked someone…breathing.

What that possible?

There was no time to find out. If the creature had gained that much ground, they had to act quickly. And considering Michaels’ odd behavior, the Sheriff was now more confident than ever that the man had confronted this thing before. Jack knew he had to allow him to do his job; he could not betray his trust – and potentially his sacrifice – by refusing to cooperate.

And so, as he passed Michaels, Jack offered a short nod and carried on with renewed vigor. It also helped that the terrain suddenly dipped down at a pretty sharp decline; it was literally all downhill from here. That would give him the opportunity to build up his momentum and make up for any lost time. Clenching his jaw together, he pushed himself harder as he went over the crest and hit the slope.

One half mile.

Yes, he thought he could make it.

17. JediMasterAnne

Apr 24, 2004
    Wilson Residence (technically)

"The sound? It is something coming. Something ancient and something beyond out comprehension. The book was written by a man who knew the secrets you seek. What is important for you is it is real. No Doctor will help you. It is real and it is very close and if you don't find a way to free yourself, it will consume you whole."

So if Julia was understanding correctly, she needed to figure out the book in order to get rid of the sound? Was that what Jane was saying? And if she didn’t…what then? How long before it “consumed” her, whatever that meant?

Jane shifted in her chair. "It is coming Julia. There is no way back now. You must see this through. It can be stopped. They would not have killed me if there was no way to stop it ..."

Everything stopped, once Jane’s words fully sank in. Killed…

Dream though this may be—and a rather surreal dream, at that—Julia had a bad feeling that everything, everything, Jane was telling her was real, true even in the waking world.

“Killed--?”

Jane was dead.

Perhaps it shouldn’t have been such a shock, given Jane’s sudden and strange disappearance, but that didn’t make the revelation any less painful. Julia and Jane had known each other as long as they could remember, since they’d been little girls.

“Who was it, Jane?” She asked, voice shaking slightly. “Who are ‘they?’”

18. ConservativeJedi321

Mar 19, 2016
    James Power
    Mayors Office

Mayor Power froze in shock, not fully comprehending the implications of what this 'Alice' (If that was her real name), was telling him.
    How? Why? Grace was with him just yesterday. Max had said she had stayed the night at a friends house!
    He should have known something was wrong earlier! A sick feeling came to his stomach, but with some struggle he managed to maintain some trace of composure.

Setting a hand on his desk, James used it as leverage to maintain his balance.
    With some trepidation he glanced over the paper quickly.
    "Charles Croft? I never would have imagined he could sink so low."
    A scowl came to his shaking features, and he pulled himself upright as best he could.
    "Kidnaping a mans wife?" He spoke in a horse whisper. Afraid to let the full range of his emotions out, he desperately tried to make sense of it all.
    "For what? A dinky piece of land in the middle of nowhere?" He hung his head in exaggerated disappointment.

At that moment a new thought came to his mind, and he looked up.
    "Before I sign this, I need proof that she is alive, and unharmed."
    He hoped to buy time, but more importantly he needed to be sure that this was not a trick.

Tags: @SirakRomar

HanSolo29 likes this.
  19. SirakRomar

Mar 30, 2007
    A beach called Brasil

Laura was trembling next to him and stared into the darkness. She nodded, when he said they could not go back. Then there was a rumbling, like something heavy hitting the sandy beach ground. It was followed by another hiss ... a long and angry sound. Metal was bent and finally broke and then there was silence before something hit the water, as if it was hurled into it. Then again silence. Absolute silence. No sound except the waves nudging against their improvised swimming retreat.

Laura was silent, clearly too horrified to speak and too afraid to be heard.

After what seemed and eternity she pointed to the beach. Not the one where they had set up the campfire but a hundred yards further down. "We can swim there. The trees were closer to the coast there." She whispered. "We can't stay out here forever." She trembled and looked at Miles. "We will cool out." She just whispered. Her lips were already blue and so were probably his.

The Wilson's house

Jane was silent for a moment. "I am just a dream, Julia. I cannot say who killed me. Oh I wish I could. Really, I cannot. But they are not your enemy. The enemy is what you are hearing." Jane was silent. "I am so sorry I dragged you into it. I did not know. I really had no idea when I send her to you ..."

Julia woke up and it was obviously already morning. Ethan was dressing in his uniform again and a fresh coffee stood next to her bed. "See? You wandered nowhere tonight. I just did not let you go." He smiled half joking. Then he took his gun and put it into his holster. "Everything okay? Bad dreams?"

Office of the Major

Alice smiled and it seemed so much a fake smile it was almost scary looking at it. "I don't know if she is alright. We brought her to a very dangerous place where very dangerous lurk in the shadows. When I left she was still alive. And every moment you wait with signing this is another moment she stays there. Every second you wait could be her undoing." She stepped forward. "It is just a dinky place of land. You want to risk her life to not give it to us?" Alice lay her head aside.

She stepped right to his desk. "Tick, tick, tick ..."

Brownback Hills

Running downhill made it a little easier, but exhaustion began to crawl into the Sheriff's legs. Then he heard a shot. And another and another and another. It was almost a rhythm. Then there was silence.

The woods became more dense here and the night grew darker. Running became harder and finally branches and roots from ancient trees covered the ground.

Then there was the hiss. Loud again and to his right. But it was a bit farther away then before.

Then there was it. The Cabin.

[​IMG]
    No lights were on and it looked like it had not been used in a long time. But Michaels had been right, it was there ...

The Doctor gave the idea of getting the old file out a moment and then nodded.

"The two cases I found after years of searching is a small village in World War Two and another one in Nepal, where a group of missionaries were present. The reports were not done by medical trained people. But yes, there were murders. Plenty. Both cases were documented not because of the hallucinations. They both were massacres. The French one had a number of murders that ended in the teenagers of the village burned alive. The one in Nepal was considerably worse. Mass murder through cannibalistic rituals. Committed by the people who heard these sounds." The Doctor looked at John and nodded. "You understand why I am mildly concerned?"

20. ConservativeJedi321

Mar 19, 2016
    James Power
    Mayors Office

"Awfully convenient." James glared at the heartless beast that stood before him.
    There has to be more than this than they want him to know, there just has to be.
    He wasn't a lawyer, but Mayor Power was certain that there were laws against this kind of coercion.
    Not to mention the kidnaping,

His first priority had to be getting his wife back, and with that he knew he had no choice but to go along with it for the moment.
    He could deal with everything else later.

Weakly the Mayor took his seat, and dragged the paper across his desk to face him.
    "I hope your proud of yourself." With that he signed on the dotted line.

Tags: @SirakRomar

HanSolo29 likes this.
  21. DarkLordoftheFins

Apr 2, 2007
    John Carver
    Breakfast Room

He understood indeed why he was so concerned. These cases were ancient and happened far away, but nevertheless they were connected by identical symptoms.

"I will look into it. Just make the appointment." John said and nodded. "Thank you for your ... open words, Doctor."

The man had come as close to break his vows as a doctor as he probably could. Sebastian waited for him to leave, shaking his hand before he took out his mobile and looked for the email from his friend Alfred.

Got a Request from Sheriff in Washington, shall we consider you active again? A.

He sighed and answered.

On a missing person case in Candlewood, Washington. So yes, put me on active again. Could you look up someone for me? John Lee. Lived in Candlewood ten years ago. I need a telephone number and location.

Best
    JC

He had to smile as he realized his quickly after these months of brooding he had returned to his old life. He pressed the SEND button and leaned back.

Now he had to explain the Sheriff that this was worse than he probably had expected. He got up and made his way to the streets, heading for Jane Masters apartment. He would walk to get his head free.

22. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    Basil, Candlewood

Miles's eyes followed where Laura's finger was pointing, to a beach much further down from the group's campfire, where the trees stood thick together near the water. "We can swim there," Laura whispered. "The trees were closer to the coast there. We can't stay out here forever." She was trembling, Miles could tell, and he only then realized that he was trembling as well, partly from the cold, mostly from the fear. "We will cool out."

Miles wasn't sure. Part of him wanted to stay on the buoy until sunrise, when they could get a better handle on things and maybe wave down some early morning fishermen. Then again, whatever was on the beach might have no problem waiting as well, and once the sun came up, they'd be visible out there on the water with no means of escape. At least if they were on solid ground, they could make a run for it. Miles trusted his running speed much more than his swimming skills.

After a moment of internal deliberation, he nodded his head. "Okay," he whispered. "But we have to be quiet. I don't think they can see us right now." He didn't know what he meant by they, and he didn't want to think about it. "Swim slow. Just drift if you have to. Don't make a sound. Okay?" Miles slowly dipped his feet in the cold water. "I'll go first." He lifted his bottom up off the metal side of the buoy, his body supported by his hands on the edge, and glacially eased his body into the water, careful to not make even the slightest hint of a sound. Once he was all the way in, he looked back towards the beach and then up at Laura. "Come on," he whispered. "Slowly. Quietly. We have plenty of night to get there."

23. JediMasterAnne

Apr 24, 2004
    Wilson Residence

"I am just a dream, Julia. I cannot say who killed me. Oh I wish I could. Really, I cannot. But they are not your enemy. The enemy is what you are hearing." Jane was momentarily silent, before adding. "I am so sorry I dragged you into it. I did not know. I really had no idea when I send her to you ..."
    Dream-Jane’s voice started to sound farther away, and Julia’s surroundings dissolved as she slowly came awake. Was it morning already? Lifting her head, Julia could see sunlight peeking through the window blinds, and she could smell the fresh cup of coffee Ethan had set on her nightstand. Her husband was up, as well, getting into his uniform. "See? You wandered nowhere tonight. I just did not let you go." He half-joked.

Her bizarre dream still fresh in her mind, Julia only managed to half-heartedly return his smile, and even that was short-lived.

Of course he noticed. "Everything okay? Bad dreams?"

“…Strange, more like,” she replied slowly, sliding her legs out from under the blankets and turning to sit on the edge of the bed. Recalling the dream, and thinking about Jane, Julia felt her throat tighten, her eyes beginning to sting with tears.

“Ethan…” she took a shaky breath, before continuing. “I think Jane is dead.”

HanSolo29 likes this.
  24. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    The Brownback Hills

By this point, Jack’s breathing came in short, ragged gasps and he was moving erratically, seemingly delirious as the natural slope of the hill carried his momentum forward. If not for that single luxury, he feared that he would collapse on the spot out of exhaustion. And despite his legs screaming out in protest, he could not allow that to happen...not if he wanted to make it through this ordeal in one piece. It was all about survival.

He just needed to make it a bit further…

And that’s when the gunshots rang out into the night. The Sheriff instinctively winced and ducked his head down at the sound, mentally preparing himself for each subsequent ‘pop’ as they fell into a set rhythm.

One. Two. Three. Four.

And then nothing.

The sudden silence that cut through the air was enough to shake Jack’s focus. His thoughts immediately strayed to Michaels and how he had left him at the crest of the hill with his rifle strapped across his chest. Had the man been successful in his efforts to thwart the beast? The stillness certainly didn’t bode well for a positive outcome, but perhaps it was too early to tell…

Intending to follow through on that thought, the Sheriff automatically craned his neck and glanced over his shoulder to search for Michaels...but the gesture soon turned into a costly mistake. With his attention divided, he failed to notice the change in terrain at the bottom of the hill – gnarled branches and exposed tree roots rose up out of the ground to create a harrowing obstacle course for the uninitiated. Unfortunately, Jack found this out the hard way when his ankle snagged on one of the tangled boughs and he lost his balance. Before he realized what was happening, he was pitching forward with the ground rushing up to meet him.

A loud grunt and a perceptible ‘crack’ marked the moment of impact when Jack landed on his stomach in the mud. His shotgun went tumbling away into the underbrush, but he hardly seemed to notice; the intense pain that radiated out from his left wrist had garnered his full attention. While the darkness made it difficult to see just how severe the injury was, he was almost certain that he had broken it. He could tell by the way it moved and the tightness that was already beginning to settle in around the joint. He must have extended it out beneath him to stop his fall…unsuccessfully, he surmised with some chagrin. This news brought a string of curses to his lips that trailed off when he heard something whisper through the trees to his right.

At first, Jack thought it was the sound of his own accelerated breathing echoing in his ears, but he knew better. It had a very distinct modulation, and he soon recognized where he had heard that noise before – it was the same terrible hissing that had accompanied the beast’s initial approach. He inhaled sharply at that realization. Did that mean Michaels had failed?

There was no time to find out.

Cradling his injured arm against his chest, Jack staggered shakily to his feet with some effort. Thankfully, he didn’t need to go far – the mysterious cabin the former deputy had boasted about loomed ahead, emerging from the darkness as if it were a silent sentinel keeping watch over the area. The Sheriff instantly felt a wave of uneasiness settle over him upon seeing the old building, almost as if he suspected foul play...or a trap. But when he considered the alternative, his worries hardly seemed warranted. He was willing to take his chances.

Still, he approached the abandoned structure with caution, his flashlight now held tightly in his right hand as he climbed the steps and crossed the threshold. Closing the door behind him, Jack pressed his back against the wall and took a moment to finally catch his breath before sweeping the light around the interior to have a look around.

25. SirakRomar

Mar 30, 2007
    A beach called Brasil

Laura slowly glided into the water and followed Kyle's lead despite having shown earlier she was probably the better swimmer. They were half way to the shore when behind them ... where their improvised campsite now was ... the squeaking sound of metal unnaturally bend was heard. A scream, a woman's scream was heard and then the his and a rumble. A short flesh of light from the van showed it was now lying upside down and the sidedoor was ripped off. "That was Carly." Laura whispered. Then she turned to Miles. "Quick, it is probably distracted now."

Whatever it was.

Without clothes or shoes they were in a strong disadvantage, but at lest they knew where it was now.

The Wilson's house

Ethan looked at Jane and then put his gun into his holster and knelt right in front of her as she sat on the edge of the bed.

"Julia, this is a tough time for us. I understand things don't look bright, but we do not know. Dreams and hunches are often misleading. Everything is. The brain tries to find answers and if denied it makes them up. And often our worse fears confirmed is easier than living with the uncertainty. But trust me, Jane is not dead. She was seen by an eye witness. She is alive and we will find her. We will find her."

He smiled at her. "Make that Call we talked about, okay? I need to go to a meeting with Mr. FBI. Jack seems to be not back yet." Holding her hands he gave her a kiss.

Office of the Major

Alice took the document and put it to her backpack. "I write my friends to bring her to safety. She will be back in your house by noon." Alice said and typed words into her mobile. "Needless to say we want you to not talk about this to anyone. Not the police and not Charles Croft. Nobody. You hear me? We are many. Arresting me won't save your family, if you make any mistake."

She typed her message. "Oh there is one more thing. Stay away from the land. Make sure everybody else does, too." She smiled again that artificial smile. "It is not safe up there for the uninitiated." She said the last words as if they were meant to mean something to the Mayor of Candlewood.

Brownback Hills

The cabin was old. Everything was old in it. Simple wooden furniture that could have been made a hundred years ago were in there. The skeleton of three beds. The only thing contemporary were to camping-seats and the cans and equipment in the only functional cupboard. Cans with food. A massive maglight and ten bottles of water and of course a first aid kit. No sign of a radio. But there was a hatch with a massive padlock on the ground.

Before Jack could make any further observations the door jumped open and Michaels stumbled in. He had taken of his jacket and was pressing it at his side. As he entered he collapsed and allowed his rifle to slip from his hand. He was bleeding, badly. "The door. Barricade it!" He hissed in pain and collapsed on the floor.

Jane's apartment, Kennedystreet

Anna was already there when John arrived. She smiled at him with a shyness she had not shown the evening before.

"Morning John." She said and looked around. "Ethan will be here in a second. The Sheriff seems to be still in the hills searching for Jane." She folded her arms.

"Listen, I wanted to apologize if I overstepped yesterday ... I don't want you to think I am that kinda woman ..."