main
side
curve

Horror Candlewood

Discussion in 'Role Playing Forum' started by SirakRomar, Apr 6, 2018.

1. TheSithGirly

TheSithGirly Jedi Master star 3

Apr 26, 2007
    Sidney Barnes
    Croft Estate, Reception

Sidney gave the man a smile that could have been made of acid. So they knew about her. That was fast and had to be expected, when you came to a small town.

"Thank you. I am glad to find him prepared." Sidney entered and looked around. The house was impressive by small town standards. But only by small town standards. Holding on to her briefcase she turned to the "house-slave" and waited to be brought to his "master".

She was almost surprised he wasn't black. Mr. Croft radiated the atmosphere of one of those closet racists. Who hired people of color, but would never consider them well enough for his daughter. Except he had no daughter. He had a son. She found that much out already.

Tag: @SirakRomar

HanSolo29 likes this.
  2. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 19, 2016
    IC: James Power
    Home

'Father'? He liked the sound of it.
    But before he could offer his trademark smirk, he recognized a certain aloofness about Max's behavior. Concern gripped James's gut, and he stepped forward, placing a hand on the boys shoulder. "Let's go inside son. I think you could use some sleep."
    He tried to gently push him in the direction of their house. "Is you're mom home?" the Mayor asked trying to get his son's mind to focus.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
    HanSolo29 likes this.
  3. Master Vo'Un'Var

Master Vo'Un'Var Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 19, 2017
    IC- Lazarus Reeds
    Candlewood Streets
    The phone rang a few times, before John Rubin answered it. "Rubin." Was the only thing he said.
    His voice was raspy, probably an old man with a life of drinking and smoking behind him.
    "This is Lazarus Reeds, you should have heard of me Professor Monroe told me I should talk to you about the cave drawings, perhaps we can arrange a meeting?"
    Hopefully that wasn't too obvious, thought Lazarus.
    TAG @SirakRomar

4. SirakRomar

SirakRomar Jedi Master star 4

Mar 30, 2007
    The Power House

His son looked at the hand on his shoulder as if he had never seen a hand. "No, she isn't." He said and turned to stare it his father. Then he slowly leaned forward.

"It is a lie. You know? The stars aren't dead." He whispered and then gave his father a broad smile that made him look like a shark in human form. James probably had not know his son could smile like that. "Not. At. All."

Without a further word he turned and walked into the house. Upright and absent minded his body seemed to move as if he was not feeling the cool chill of the night air.

Inside he went straight for the stairs and made his way upstairs to his room. "Good Night, Father." He said without looking and James heard the door upstairs close.

In the kitchen was a note from Grace. Need to talk to someone. Don't wait up. Her mobile was lying next to it. It was totally not like Grace to be so unspecific.

Outside it began to rain.

Tag: @ConservativeJedi321

Croft Estate, Northern District

Charles Croft was sitting next to a fireplace that made the small salon unnecessary warm. Trophies of his hunting adventures were at the walls and between them were his hunting rifles. A panorama window allowed a spectacular view on the nightly mountains and book shelfs were filled with leather bound books.

The man was in his early sixties probably and dressed in a fine suit even at this hour. "Ms. Barnes, please sit." He pointed at the other chair at the fire place without getting up to or offering a handshake. "I assume you are here to discuss the rules of engagement?" He turned to her and gave her a smile that could have belonged to a shark. "What a pretty face. Nice I finally have a face to the woman who made such a mess of my day."

Tag: @TheSithGirly

Streets of Candlewood

The young man laughed. "Yes, you screamed like crazy!" He laughed and looked around. "You okay?"

Actually she was okay. She wasn't hurt at least. No pain, no blood. But she wasn't at the Bookworm and she wasn't at her house either. Checking the clock about half an hour had passed and she stood on Kennedy street, not too far away from Jane's flat actually.

Tag: @JediMasterAnne

Route 101, Candlewood

Ethan sighed. "Mara told me you were checking on something on Route 101, but I did not know if you are still there. You said Jane was seen? Today? At the observatory? You mean the ruin up in the hills?" Jack heard a sound and as he turned he realized it was starting to rain.

"Chloe Barnett is hiding something, but she admitted she met Jane a couple of times. Said it was about selling her house, but when I sighed deeper she became pretty short with her answers. I was about to suggest to treat her like a suspect, but if Jane was seen, that changes everything." He heard Ethan yawn on the phone. The man had been up for over 36 hours now. It was surprising how effective he still was. "Shall I send Anna over? She got the nightshift today." But Anna did not know the woods of course. "But it's gonna be a stormy night I guess." He added then.

If Jack was going up there, it was probably only him.

Tag: @HanSolo29

Streets of Candlewood

The man was silent for a moment. "I send you my address. You haven't seen them, have you? I mean you haven't looked at them, right?" The man asked. "Are you hearing things? Strange noises you cannot locate?"

Rubin was tense. A bit as paranoid as the old Professor. Whatever it was about the drawing, they certainly had the ability to freak people out.

Tag: @Master Vo'Un'Var

Jane's flat, Kennedy Street

The sound woke him up. Outside it was raining, but John knew that was not what had woken him up. No, it had been something inside the flat. He had probably fallen asleep.

Opposite of him in the dark sat someone. Barely visible in the dark until the figure moved and stretched her long well-formed legs into the moonlight, only to withdraw them back to her chair.

"Hello John. Looks like you care more about me than you cared to admit." It was Jane. Or was it? Even in the dark he could feel her smile at him with her gorgeous smile.

Tag: @DarkLordoftheFins [/B]

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
  5. JediMasterAnne

JediMasterAnne Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2004
    IC: Julia Wilson
    Streets of Candlewood

"Yes, you screamed like crazy!" The man was telling her. "You okay?"

She didn’t seem to be hurt; she couldn’t feel any pain, and she wasn’t bleeding. Okay, so far, so good.

She wasn’t outside the store anymore, but she wasn’t home, and noticing the street signs and familiar buildings, Julia was able to figure out that she was actually fairly close to Jane’s apartment.

But how had she gotten here? Logically, she must have driven herself, but why didn’t she remember it? And why had she come here?

It was a half hour later than when she’d left the shop. What happened in those thirty minutes? Had it just taken that long for her to get here, or had she done something else she didn’t remember?

And she still didn’t know why she had been screaming.

“I…I think so,” she finally answered. “At least, I’m not hurt.” But she definitely wasn’t okay. The last half hour was a complete blank in her memory. Something was wrong.

“I just…I can’t remember how I got here.”

TAG: @SirakRomar

6. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 Manager Emeritus + Official Star Wars Artist star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 13, 2001
    IC: Sheriff Jack Collins
    Route 101, Candlewood

As was typical for the Pacific Northwest, the rain began to fall without warning, spattering gently against the windshield at first, but steadily increasing in intensity until it left broad streaks running across Jack’s line of sight; the woods around him instantly blurred and faded into the balmy night. In a way, it seemed to epitomize the way his whole day had gone so far.

Running his hand over his jaw with a weary sigh, Jack turned his gaze away from the rain-streaked view and nodded in response to Ethan’s series of questions. “John Michaels made a positive ID,” he confirmed sullenly, frowning a bit as he recalled his former colleague. He thought he had made the right decision to refuse the man’s bribe, but now with the rain complicating things further, he wasn’t so sure anymore…

Goddammit…

When he trailed off and failed to elaborate further, Ethan jumped in to provide his commentary on his visit to the Barnett house, “Chloe Barnett is hiding something, but she admitted she met Jane a couple of times. Said it was about selling her house, but when I sighed deeper she became pretty short with her answers. I was about to suggest to treat her like a suspect, but if Jane was seen, that changes everything."

“I had my doubts about whether Michaels was telling the truth, but he mentioned her name without me bringing up the case,” he asserted quietly, still cleary troubled by the situation. “He doesn’t know what happened.” He hesitated for a moment, reaching for his hat that was resting beside him on the passenger seat. He would need it with the rain. “That’s why I think it’s worth checking out...the observatory, I mean. Eddy uncovered some pretty strange links. He said Jane checked out a bunch of materials from the library on the place – astronomy books, annual reports...too much to be a coincidence. And now the sighting?” He shook his head with a rueful smile. “There’s something here, Ethan. I know I shouldn’t go up there alone, but...”

"Shall I send Anna over?” Ethan offered after a moment. “She got the nightshift today...but it’s gonna be a stormy night, I guess.”

Jack pursed his lips, ignoring the familiar pang in his chest when he heard Anna’s name. He tried to look at this with a rational mind; while he could really use the company in this instance, she didn’t know the terrain. He knew that should’ve been enough to refuse the help, but he found that it was hard to detach himself from his emotions. In the end, he went for the safe approach. “If she’s in the area, sure. Two is better than one. Check in with her and let me know...”

He was going to add something else, but stopped when he heard his friend yawn loudly over the phone. A smirk pulled up one corner of his mouth. “And do me a favor – when you’re done, go home and get some sleep.”

As Jack waited for Ethan’s response about Anna, he grabbed the Mossberg 500 shotgun from the equipment stored in the back and began to load it up in preparation.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    ConservativeJedi321 likes this.
  7. RachelTyrell

RachelTyrell Jedi Master star 1

Feb 15, 2009
    edit: Sorry guys wrong thread.

8. RachelTyrell

RachelTyrell Jedi Master star 1

Feb 15, 2009
    edit: sorry guys wrong thread.

9. ConservativeJedi321

Mar 19, 2016
    Home

'The stars aren't dead'? What the heck were they teaching kids at school these days?
    After his son went up stairs James noticed the note from his wife, and the vagueness of it all unnerved him slightly. But he shook that feeling away, Grace was an intelligent and capable women. But why leave her phone behind?
    Maybe she just forgot it? That was something he might do, but didn't seem right for her.
    First time for everything he supposed.

After convincing himself that everything was normal he decided he should eat something before settling down. Lunch being his last meal, it wouldn't be right for him to forget to eat. So he went to grab some fruit out of the fridge, before grabbing a book out of the case, and sitting down in his chair.
    Tags: @SirakRomar

HanSolo29 likes this.
  10. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    IC: Miles Rayburn
    Brasil, Candlewood

At the sound of the blood curdling scream, Miles's body jerked in shock and all the wood he carried in his arms fell to the ground in a heap. His eyes wide with fear, he looked at Laura who turned back in the direction of the group on the beach where they'd left them. Miles followed her gaze.

"Where are they?"

Miles swallowed, looked around frantically. The Jeep and the van were still parked there, but no one else was in sight. Kyle, Robert, Carly, and Samantha had gone...

"Carly?!" Laura called out for her friend as loud as she could. "Sam?!"

"Kyle!" Miles joined her in calling out for the group, yelling from his chest as loud as possible. Surely they couldn't have gotten far. The scream had clearly come from a woman, but was it Carly or Sam, or someone else? He prayed it was someone else. "Come on." Miles looked at Laura and grabbed her hand and began to run back to the campfire. "They would've left footprints in the sand."

11. DarkLordoftheFins

DarkLordoftheFins Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2007
    John Carver
    Jane Masters flat

John resisted the urge to switch on the light. He had the feeling of he did there would be nothing but an empty chair.

"I would love to believe that is you, Jane. But we both know it isn't you." He lay his head aside and gave the moment a bit more time to unfold.

"I don't believe in ghosts, so I assume you are a dream?" He asked her and leaned forward, trying to see clearer in the dark. "An imagination of my mind. An extension of my thoughts." He knew it had to be a dream. Jane was not talking to anyone anymore.

"After I spend my day with you without ever setting my eyes on you that is not that much of a surprise. My mind tries to adjust. I guess." He smiled and leaned back.

"You left me with many questions. But I think I will find the answers soon enough. Where are you? That one is the most pressing." But he knew she could not answer it. Except his brain had figured it out and his consciousness had not yet revealed the answer.

12. SirakRomar

Mar 30, 2007
    Route 101, The Viewpoint

Ethan came back after a moment. "Anna needs to work forensics, forgot. If we let her do that she might be ready to send to the lab tomorrow." He said. "Sleep? Not even sure if I am awake." He laughed. "Can you handle this? I don't wanna have a missing Sheriff tomorrow. You aren't exactly the nature guy."

The conversation was cut short as it hammered against the window. Out there stood Michaels, fully dressed in a rain coat and having his gun on his back. He had probably parked a little down the street and turned the lights off to see if Collins would be going up there alone. "Coming?" He yelled through the window.

The Power House

Grace took long to come back. At some point of reading and waiting James had fallen asleep. He probably even realized he was dreaming.

He found himself outside his house. Standing outside, half naked and staring at the stars. Only to realize they were staring back at him. Not the stars themselves. Something behind them, between them was staring back, becoming aware of him as he became aware of ... IT. He could not fully recognize it's existence. It was like an blurry image slowly becoming focused. But whatever it was, he would probably never fully understand it. What he felt ... and it was more a feeling than something to be visually seen ... was not made for human minds to comprehend. It was avoiding understanding and classification into any term the human language provided. But it was there, in all it's unspeakable lack of a shape and form it was there ... between the stars. And it knew he was there, too. Only now James understood it was not him standing there. It was Max. He was Max.

He woke up and the dream was still there in an unusual clarity. The feeling of the dream was there.
    It was dark in the house now and Grace had not returned. He could feel her absence, her mobile lay on the table without having been moved. It made a beeping sound as the battery was about to die. Maybe that had woken him up. Checking the clock it was five in the morning. The dawn was coming and the stars were already absorbed by the dim light from outside. Maybe it was better this way.

"A dream, father?" His son had stood behind him for God only knew how long. Dressed in a shirt and trousers he looked as if he was prepared for school. He was two hours early for that.

Charles Croft looked at her and did not say a word for a long moment. Then he sighed.

"Something you do not understand is that there are things out there you cannot buy for money. Don't get me wrong, I know the power of cash. It can buy you almost everything. But those things it cannot buy ... it can really not buy. You understand that? Probably not."

He looked at her for a long moment. Then he nodded. "Did you ever have a long look at the stars out here, Ms. Barnes? The stars you cannot buy. What I can buy is a place from where to look at them. There are a few people in this town who have a special relationship to the stars. They have brought certain truths to my attention. Knowledge you can't google or find on Wikipedia. Because of this insight we need this observatory. And we will have it."

Croft looked at her. "The question is only what will you people force us to do to get it?" He looked her straight in the eye and he was obviously dead serious about this.

Kennedy Street, Streets of Candlewood

The young man looked confused. The he rolled his eyes ... he was obviously thinking she had drunk.

"Ma'am, you are Ethan Wilson's wife are you? Maybe you should walk home. I know it is raining, but sometimes it is just not that bad an idea to leave your car and have a nice walk." He himself was getting wet and yet, he kept on talking to her.

And then there was the sound. Again. Not that loud as it was before. More like it was in a distance. Somewhere behind her, still ... but maybe a few meters away. The gnawing.

Jane's flat, Kennedy Street

Jane did not answer at first. Then she nodded. "I think you can guess where I am. But that doesn't matter anymore. Does it? Not as much as it did before. What now matters is who brought me there. You know that you got everything you need to solve the case? Do you? It is right before your nose. The answer. You just haven't seen it yet."

She paused. "Terrible things are about to happen, John. It has already begun. Terrible things, just as terrible things happened ten years ago." He felt he was waking up. She became more distant. Her words less real. "It will be much worse this time."

He woke up and was back in the flat. Well, in the real flat. The words "much worse" echoed in his mind.

Tag: @DarkLordoftheFins

A beach called Brasil

Laura almost fought him, as he wanted to go there. But then she complied and followed him. Just before they had passed half the distance Carly stumbled into sight from behind the van. "You are such an ahole Rob! This was so not funny!" Rob laughed and came after her, trying to hug her, but she did not allow it. "Seriously." Carly saw Laura now and raised her arms. "That idiot sprayed an ice cold beer on me! Can you believe it? Oh God, I will go have a swim. But my clothes will now stink all night!"

Kyle appeared too. "Seriously. Rob. That was unnecessary. I got a hoody in my Jeep. You can have it, Carly." She gave him a grateful look.

Laura overcame her shock an surprise. "Guys, you scared the hell out of us!" She yelled at them and then had to love. "I thought about those wolves." She said to Miles in a way only he could hear. Then she laughed at herself. She leaned forward and gave him a kiss on his cheek, so quickly he could hardly react. "Thanks for being so ... brave." She smiled. Kyle meanwhile gave a sad looking Rob a clap on the shoulder. "We get the fire going. You collect the wood. Maybe you cool of a little."

"Good idea." Was all Carly commented.

"Was only a joke." He said and walked towards Miles and Laura, passing them.

Tag: @Reynar_Tedros [/B]

13. JediMasterAnne

Apr 24, 2004

She should have realized that such an admission would sound crazy to anyone else; of course he probably thought she was drunk.

Except Julia didn’t drink. She could count on one hand the number of times she’d ever consumed any alcohol in her life, and she’d never had enough to actually get drunk. The last time had been at her and Ethan’s wedding two years ago. Even then, she hadn’t even finished a full glass.

"Ma'am, you are Ethan Wilson's wife are you? Maybe you should walk home. I know it is raining, but sometimes it is just not that bad an idea to leave your car and have a nice walk."

For some reason, it rubbed her the wrong way. He thought she’d been drinking, so his suggestion was to walk home, in the rain, at night? The sensible thing, if she were drunk, would be to at least call a cab. Or her husband, since the man apparently recognized her.

She was about to protest that she wasn’t drunk, when she heard it again. That damned sound. Where was it coming from?! Why was she hearing it here?

She was about to ask the man if he heard it, too, before remembering that she hadn’t heard it when her father had, and this guy already thought she was drunk. Probably he didn’t hear it, and she didn’t want to draw his suspicions any further.

But at the same time, she didn’t quite want him to leave her alone. What if she blanked out again, wandered off without realizing what she was doing? That was what had happened last time she’d heard that sound.

Rather than argue with the man, Julia had a different idea. “Actually, would you mind just walking with me to the apartment building over there?” She indicated the building where Jane had lived. “I can wait there for my husband to pick me up.” She could wait for Ethan inside, where she’d be out of the rain, and where other people would notice if she did anything strange—with Jane missing, the building tenants and staff would be on alert for anything else out of the ordinary.

She reached over to grab her umbrella and her bag, then got out and locked the car, doing her best to ignore that awful noise. Opening the umbrella, she started to head toward the apartment building. As she walked, she dug her phone out and sent a text message to Ethan:

Can you meet me at Jane’s apartment building, something strange just happened. I’ll explain when you get here. <3

14. DarkLordoftheFins

Apr 2, 2007
    John Carver
    Jane Masters flat

Ten years ago? How had his brain made that connection? He made a mental note to check what had exactly happened ten years ago.

But her words reflected her feelings. John stood up and stretched. He had everything he needed to solve the case? He did not even have a suspect. What he had now was an idea what kind of person he was looking at ... this was not a first timer. This thing had been organized, planned and executed perfectly. Whoever did it had known what he was doing. The plan had needed timing and discipline.

And every plan needed planning. Jane had been watched. The house had been explored and information had been acquired to prepare the attack.

They were looking at an organized attacker with experience in executing complex plans. How many of those were in Candlewood?

He decided he would go home and have a little more sleep. In the morning he would tell the Sheriff and his deputies what he got and maybe they knew a suspect. They knew the people around here.

15. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 Manager Emeritus + Official Star Wars Artist star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 13, 2001
    Route 101, Candlewood

Despite his mounting apprehension about heading up to the observatory alone, Jack had to shake his head and laugh at Ethan’s comment; it helped to calm his nerves. “Give me a little credit, will ya? I’m not that bad…” Granted, his last outdoor adventure had been with his wife and daughters the summer before they had moved to Candlewood – a simple camping trip out near the lake. And while they had explored some of the trails in and around the hills, that had been 12 years ago now, so maybe he was a little rusty. It was best not to divulge that information to Ethan, though.

“I’ll be fine,” he continued after a moment, almost as if he was trying to convince himself. “If I don’t check in, I have my phone. It shouldn’t be too hard to get--Jesus!”

Jack visibly jumped as the face appeared next to him, materializing out of the rain-streaked night and pressing itself against the driver’s side window. The sudden intrusion caused the remaining shotgun shells to fall from his grip and clatter to the floor near his feet. He was about to bring the gun around to bear when he finally recognized the person staring back at him – John Michaels. The disheveled man was now dressed in a raincoat and pounding against the glass, trying to get his attention. “Coming?”

The Sheriff only stared in disbelief, trying to determine whether he was dreaming or if Michaels really was standing outside his door. Why come back? What did he have to gain by helping him? Jack was instantly suspicious of his motives. But with Anna tied up with forensics work and Ethan off the clock and in need of sleep, what other choice did he have?

“Nevermind...I have help,” he said slowly to Ethan over the phone, still eyeing Michaels carefully. “I’ll give you a call tomorrow.”

Placing the phone back on his belt, Jack cautiously opened the door and squinted against the rain as he glared at the other man. “What the hell are you doing? Didn’t I make it clear that I won’t accept bribes? You were never this willing to help when you worked for me – I had to practically twist your arm to get results...what changed?”

Despite his condescending attitude, he was already placing the hat on his head and reaching for the olive-green raincoat emblazoned with ‘SHERIFF’ on the backside in yellow letters. Pulling the coat on, Jack checked the shotgun one last time before finally stepping out of the truck.

“You better not be messing with me,” he added menacingly, gesturing with the gun to emphasize his point.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  16. ConservativeJedi321

Mar 19, 2016
    Home

As he clawed his way back to consciousness, James couldn't help but be startled by the oddness of the dream as he recalled it.
    I really should get up and go to bed. He thought.
    The whole thing was probably just his mind overreacting to Max's odd behavior earlier.
    Still he kept his eye's closed, as wanted to ignore it all.
    As long as I pretend I'm asleep, I don't have to worry about anything else: No frightened kids or sea monsters, no observatory, Charles Croft, Sidney Barnes, or Professor Fallon. He wouldn't have to worry about his son's shenanigans, or... wait.

"Grace!" He practically jumped out of his chair.
    Where was she?He hadn't heard his wife come in, if she had she certainly would have woke him up. It wasn't like her to leave him sleeping in the living room like that. Now he was really beginning to worry, as he stared at the clock, not believing that it was already five in the morning.
    As he was distracted he didn't hear his son enter the room. Or was he there all along? His mind was still clouded by a sleepy daze.
    But he couldn't shake the feeling something was wrong.
    "A dream, father?"

James shook his head. "No." While the dream certainly gave him the creeps, that wasn't where his mind was at the moment.
    Where was his wife? Turning to face his son, he noticed the boy appeared ready for school. Far earlier than normal, but he didn't question it.
    "Max, have you seen your mother? I don't think she came home last night."

Tags: @SirakRomar

HanSolo29 likes this.
  17. Master Vo'Un'Var

Master Vo'Un'Var Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 19, 2017
    IC- Lazarus Reeds
    Candlewood Streets
    The man was silent for a moment. "I send you my address. You haven't seen them, have you? I mean you haven't looked at them, right?" The man asked. "Are you hearing things? Strange noises you cannot locate?"
    The last words caught Lazarus' attention, this man was acting very similar to the Professor.
    "I haven't heard any strange noises no.... is there anything you want to tell me about them?"
    Lazarus thought he was being too paranoid, but this was a bit too odd to ignore.
    TAG- @SirakRomar

18. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    Brasil, Candlewood

Miles's blood began to boil at the sight of Robert, whose prank had caused a reaction from Carly that sent him and Laura into a tailspin of panic. He was relieved of course that it was just a harmless joke that had resulted in the terrifying scream, which was probably a bit of an overreaction on Carly's part, but Miles still found himself glaring at Robert for killing the mood on the beach. That is, until Laura moved in and planted a kiss on his cheek.

"Thanks for being so... brave."

Miles briefly put his hand to the spot on his face that Laura kissed and then looked at her with a grin that probably looked a little bewildered. He couldn't really think of a response, and his heart was beating so fast that he likely wouldn't have been able to get a word out of his mouth anyway, so he just chuckled and looked down at the sand beneath his feet and grabbed her hand for a second and squeezed it gently and let it go.

Robert had said something about it only being a joke as he walked by Miles and Laura towards the water. Miles turned to face the rest of the group scattered around the vehicles. "Everybody good?" he asked, wondering if he and Laura would need to go back for the wood they'd dropped in order to get the fire, and hopefully the party, started.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
  19. TheSithGirly

TheSithGirly Jedi Master star 3

Apr 26, 2007
    Sidney Barnes
    Croft Estate, Reception

Sidney looked at the elder man and then laughed. "Are you threatening me, Mr. Croft? Because this certainly sounded like a threat to me." She leaned forward and kept her cool. She would not be frightened by an old fool. And a fool he was. "Mr. Croft, that is something my clients might be better at, too." She stood up and took her briefcase.

"Consider my offer." She said and turned to leave.

20. SirakRomar

Mar 30, 2007
    The Brownback Hills

Michaels snorted and spit on the ground. "Maybe you just did not know how to ask the right way. That idea ever crossed your mind?" He shook his head and checked his flashlight. "Loosing the Sheriff was hard on me. Harder than anyone's realized back then."

Without giving the Sheriff a chance to reply he pointed at the Mossberg with a mockery grin.

"What do you want with that? We got a damned bear of there Sheriff. Pick up a big stone. Will do the same to him when you throw it. Piss him off and not hurt him a bit." Shaking his head he turned to the nearby path and began walking.

The Power House

"Mother? Mother stays with a friend. She called." The boy said and then opened his mouth as if he wanted to say something and suddenly froze. The mouth stayed wide open as he began rolling his head until his neck cracked a little. Then he looked back at his das and his jaws snapped together.

"I will have breakfast now, Father." He simply proclaimed, turned and walked to the kitchen.

Charles Croft raised his hands in defense.

"I apologize. Of course I would not threaten you. All I wanted to show you is my dedication to this deal." He stood up. "But please, I might have a solution for both of us. I show you why I want this land so desperately. I will show you why your client wants it so desperately. If you decide you still wanna fight over it afterwards, I withdraw my offer tomorrow and support your claim. Fair enough?" He asked and looked at her. "An hour and you might have won. What do you have to loose?"

The young man was happy to be released of his duty and quickly went with her to the apartment building Jane was having a flat in. He even was covering her with his rain coat, so she was not entirely soaking wet.

The sound seemed to be dampened by the rain and then vanished entirely, as they reached the building. But it was still there, Julia could feel it. It just wasn't heard.

"Here we are. Have a good night then, Ma'am." He nodded and quickly walked away, obviously happy to leave the strange wife of the Deputy behind him.

Ethan actually did not write back, but instead his car came around the corner a minute after the message. Candlewood was small, with a car you were quickly anywhere. He almost jumped out of the car and ran through the rain to his wife. "Are you okay? Are you alright?" He grabbed both her arms and looked frightened for the woman he loved.

Kennedy Street

It was almost morning as he made his way through Kennedy Street towards the harbour where his hotel was. It had obviously rained earlier on and he saw nobody on the streets, at least not until a car slowed down next to him.

Deputy Anna Mason, now in civil clothes smiled at him. "So late on the streets, Special Agent? Need a ride?" She gave him a dry smile. This time she was certainly flirting with him.

[​IMG]
    Deputy Anna Mason

A beach called Brasil

Rob had at least ruined the whole thing about collecting woods. He took over this and Laura went over to her friends and began lighting the fire ... Kyle stepped next to Miles and gave him a beer. "I know you don't like 'em. But better than nothing." He sighed. "She is nice, isn't she?" He then said smiling, knowing he had a winner here for his friend.

Half an hour later they were sitting around the campfire and Rob was making a fool out of himself by trying to walk on his hands ... a bet with Carly who seemed to have forgiven him, after getting Kyle's warm hoodie. Laura sat next to Miles and when Rob collapsed again failing for the third time she leaned against Miles as if it was the most natural thing in the world. She made herself comfortable there and Carly gave them a look of approval.

"Okay, you really aren't able to, Rob. Maybe we need something else to entertain us?" Sammy laughed.

"Except alcohol and a clown?" Kyle laughed. He was still in a good mood. Rob just kept on lying in the sand as they laughed at him. "Okay, what else can we provide? How about ... spooky stories? Hm? Are you girls up for a ghost tale alone with us out here? Hm?"

"Do your worst." Carly laughed.

"There is a sea monster in Candlewood." Rob said and sat up. "You knew that? No, seriously ask the guys. A huge thing almost the size of a whale with eight tentacles and eyes like a human. The fishermen saw it a few days ago. It passed one of their ships and one of them saw it and it turned in the water and you know what? It looked right back at him, before turning and vanishing in the water. Nobody believed him, but guess what. Since that day they have not captured a single fish anywhere off the coast. It is as if they have vanished. Or maybe ... they have been eaten by the monster." He leaned forward. "But if it has eaten all the fish? What will it eat next?" He asked and grinned.

"Lame." Carly just said and laughed.

"Totally lame." Sammy agreed. Laura laughed and nodded. Kyle just took a sip from his beer and grinned in silent agreement.

"Okay, anybody got a better one? How about you Miles? C'mon, man help me out here!" Rob begged at Miles.

Tag: @Reynar_Tedros

Street of Candlewood

The Professor raise his brows as he watched Lazarus make that call.

Rubin did not say anything for a minute. "Yes, maybe. But not on the phone. Come and visit me. Come alone." He killed the line. The Professor looked at Lazarus. "You will see him?"

Tag: Master Vo'Un'Var

21. DarkLordoftheFins

Apr 2, 2007
    John Carver
    The Streets

John stopped and smiled at Anna. It was more of a polite smile. Now he was pretty certain she was flirting.

"John, please call me John. And yes, of you could take me to my hotel that would be wonderful."

He sat into the car and held the files close to his body. "Actually what happened in Candlewood ten years ago?" He asked. "Something important? I found a reference to this time frame and could not figure it out." He lied about that one, but he could hardly tell her the truth. That a dream had tipped him of.

He considered discussing his findings with the young woman, but she was clearly the junior among the deputies and he would disrespect the Sheriff.

The one thing that kept on bugging him was the other thing Jane had said in his dream. That he had everything he needed to crack the case. He felt like he had nothing. At least nothing that remotely resembled a suspect. The Ex was his only possibility, but they had no recent history whatsoever and it sounded harmless enough what the heartbroken man had done back then.

22. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    The Brownback Hills

Jack’s gaze wavered, but to the untrained eye, it would only look as if he was blinking against the rain that was falling steadily now, dripping off the brim of his hat and briefly obscuring his vision. In truth, he had never expected Michaels to breach the subject of Sheriff Taylor’s fate and how it had affected him on a personal level; the sincerity behind his words had taken Jack off guard. If the man’s goal was to make him feel guilty over how he had treated him back then, he was certainly on the right track.

And yet...he could not allow himself to give in. The animosity that had driven them apart all those years ago remained palpable, and that’s something he could not easily forgive. It also made him suspicious about his motives. Why spill his guts to him now? It wasn’t exactly the most ideal time to have a heart to heart…

Inhaling deeply, the Sheriff parted his lips to speak, but Michaels quickly cut him off, one hand gesturing to the shotgun angled across his torso. "What do you want with that?” he exclaimed as if he was scolding a small child. “We got a damned bear of there Sheriff. Pick up a big stone. Will do the same to him when you throw it. Piss him off and not hurt him a bit."

Jack smiled at his own expense. He knew he wasn’t the most adept hunter – hell, he wasn’t a hunter all – but it still bruised the ego to hear it conveyed so blatantly. “It’s better than nothing,” he said quietly, brushing off his embarrassment with a shrug.

Hooking the shotgun’s strap over his shoulder and pulling his own flashlight from his belt, he started to walk behind Michaels toward the darkened path. “And who said anything about targeting bears?” he added cryptically, a wry grin pulling at one corner of his mouth. “There’s more than one kind of danger up in these hills…”

The Sheriff paused intentionally to scrutinize Michaels’ retreating form before instinctively reaching up to tighten his grip on the shotgun’s strap. While he remained wary of his companion, he kept reminding himself that this was primarily about Jane; she was the only one that mattered. She was the reason why he was so willing to do something that could be perceived as foolish. With a heavy sigh, Jack finally stepped forward to follow the other man into the woods.

23. JediMasterAnne

Apr 24, 2004

It struck her as strange, how the rain seemed to drown out the unnatural sound, yet Julia somehow knew that it wasn’t actually gone.

Ethan didn’t reply to her text message, but the other man had only been gone for a few minutes before her husband’s car pulled up in front of the building. He’d barely come to a stop before he was jumping out and rushing to her, concern written all over his face.

"Are you okay? Are you alright?" He grabbed both her arms and looked frightened for the woman he loved.

She quickly nodded. “Yes, I’m all right,” she reassured him. “Physically, at least. I’m sorry if I scared you with my message, but there’s something very weird going on…” She glanced around, making sure there wasn’t anyone else nearby who might eavesdrop and think she was crazy.

“Ethan, I don’t remember how I got here. I don’t remember driving here. Last thing I remember, I left the store after meeting with Dad and that professor, got in the car, and next thing I know I’m over here. A guy knocked on the window; he said I was screaming…? But I don’t remember that, either. And I keep hearing this sound…Dad said he heard it, too, at the store, but I didn’t hear it ‘til after I left…”

She felt like she was rambling, and even listening to herself, it sounded like nonsense.

“I texted you because I didn’t feel safe trying to get home by myself, in case it happened again. The guy thought I was drunk, but you know I don’t drink, and I know it sounds insane, but I’m not making this up.”

HanSolo29 likes this.
  24. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    Brasil, Candlewood

Miles had barely been paying attention to Rob's so-called scary story, as his focus was mainly directed at Laura, whose head was currently resting on his right shoulder, her body comfortably leaned into his. Well, comfortably for her, probably. He had his right hand planted in the sand behind them and his arm was half asleep, but he wasn't about to try to move it and risk Laura removing herself from him. Nope, not in a million years was that arm moving, it could fall off for all he cared. His left arm was in a similar position and helped to bear some of the weight, except for when he needed to lift it and take a sip of his beer, which he did sparingly.

"Lame," Carly mocked Rob after he finished some story about a sea monster in Candlewood. Miles had been hearing some idle chatter about the fish not biting around town, which was definitely fodder for conspiracy theorists and the like. He was sure there was a more sensible explanation to be found. There always was. Right?

"Totally lame," Sammy chimed in. Laura laughed and nodded, her hair rubbing up against Miles's shirt sleeve. Miles found himself wishing time would stop so this night could stretch on forever, internally laughing at himself considering he'd just met this girl hours before, and totally submitting to the fact that he didn't care in the slightest. It felt good, and he would let it feel good.

"Okay, anybody got a better one?" Rob scanned the group. "How about you Miles? C'mon, man help me out here!"

Miles was hardly an expert in anything horror related. Sure, he'd read a few Stephen King novels and watched some scary movies over the years, but was far from being able to pull some bone chilling story out of the back of his brain. "Uh, hang on, I need to consult my writing partner." He leaned his head down next to Laura's so that he could whisper in her ear. Her hair smelled like a dream he never wanted to wake from. "Hey, uh, do you know any ghost stories? I don't know any ghost stories." He chuckled softly after he whispered this, leaned his forehead against the side of her head as he grinned.

HanSolo29 likes this.
  25. SirakRomar

Mar 30, 2007
    The Brownback Hills

Michaels just looked at the Sheriff as he commented on other threats. Then he laughed. "Whatever is dumb enough to get up there in a rainstorm is not that dangerous I'd say. Whatever that says about you and me." He started following the path, which quickly became more steep and indeed slippery. "Try to walk where I do." Michaels said and activated his flashlight, getting his rifle from his shoulder. He was obviously used to the terrain, moving quickly and secure in the dark. He slowed down for the Sheriff to let him catch up from time to time though. Actually he was a surprising good guide.

Soon the street and Candlewood where gone and they were surrounded by a thick darkness. The trees up here we ancient, but the shadows of them seemed menacing. Sometimes flashlights played tricks on the eyes and it appeared almost they moved. But those were shadows.

"You hear that?" Michaels suddenly asked. He stopped and looked up at the hills. But the Sheriff heard nothing but the wind between the trees.

Ethan looked concerned and grabbed her head, looking at her eyes. "Pupils are normal. Maybe you hit your head and don't remember. Or some sort of poisoning." With these words Ethan looked at the apartment building Julia had come to. "But I was here today. You know who lives here, do you?" Ethan shook his head.

"C'mon I get you home and tomorrow we make an appointment at the doctor." He smiled at her. "Maybe even the hospital in Martin's Beach. You need to check for concussions."

He sighed and then looked at her. "Anything you need from your car?" He asked and opened her umbrella. "We have witness who says he saw Jane." He told her as he brought her to the car. "She might be okay, after all." He smiled and Julia saw her husband was very, very tired. He had nightshift, which probably meant he had been up for 36 hours by now without sleep.

Kennedy Street, morning

Anna looked at John and smiled again. "I am Anna." She began driving through the empty streets. "Ten years ago? That was before my time John. I was still in New Mexico back then." She said and then shrugged. "Bit wasn't that around the time of the Barnett murder? A husband killing his wife and then himself. It was a big thing here I believe."

Taking a corner she looked over at John. "Did you hear Jane is alive? Sheriff found a witness seeing her in the woods."

A beach called Brasil

Laura looked at him and then grinned. She leaned forward, put her feet together as if she wanted to meditate and then grinned.

"I know one. A really scary one. Because it is real." She looked at all of them.

"Oh, this will be good." Sammy clapped her hands in joy. Rob leaned forwards.

"Okay, German girl. Give it your best shot." Rob laughed.

Laura nodded. "My grandfather was in the war, Second World War. You know it, the ones where we Germans tried to conquer the world. He actually was one of the bad guys. A hardcore Nazi and all that. Shame on my family, I know. Anyway, he was part of the offense that conquered France. Won medals and all that. Afterwards he was ordered to stay in France with his men. He was a Hauptmann ... dunno what this is in English ..."

"Captain." Kyle through in. Laura nodded at him.

"A captain. Thanks. Had a few men under his command. Forty or something. They were send to a small village, which name he never told anyone. They occupied it. Killed those who resisted and settled down there with a camp, watching some strategic important road. Forty men with guns in a French village. The villagers hated them in the beginning, but finally accepted their presence when it became clear the French had lost their war. The soldiers also began to warm up a bit, as we Germans say. Actually they respected the villagers, made friends to some. But soon they realized there was something wrong. There were no youth in the village. Many children and adults, but not a single teenager. So my Granddad went to the oldest woman in the village and brought her some German Schnaps, a strong alcoholic drink. They opened the bottle and drank and when she was drunk enough, he asked where all the young people were? She told him she would show him. They went for a walk at night and outside the village was a large barn that was burned out. The old woman told him five years earlier they had locked them in there and set it on fire. My Granddad was shocked and asked her why? The old woman just told him they had become evil and had walked back home, not saying another word. Even by the low standards of my Granddad this was an unforgivable crime, burning kids in a barn. He thought about it day and night. He told his soldiers and the mood darkened. They began to become more harsh to the people. Brutal. I guess they might even have been violent. But my Granddad could not understand how these ordinary and harmless people could do such a thing. So he went back to the old woman with another bottle and made her drunk again. They drank and when he felt she was drunk again he asked her: Why did you burn the kids? She was hesistant, but he kept on pushing, threatening to kill her son and everyone else if she did not explain why they had committed such a terrible act. What choice did she have? So she told him. Her people had practiced strange practices for many centuries. Because they believed that they were living on divine ground, blessed by ancient Gods. He laughed at her superstition. She only laughed back. Then she told him, that these Gods were real. But they lived among the stars and only could not come to them, except the when stars were right. A few years ago the stars had been right, she said. And as their traditions demanded they had worshipped them and prayed to them at the night the stars were right through ancients chants handed down from one generation to another. They had followed their traditions, but nobody had seriously expected this to do anything. They had been wrong. Something had appeared that night. An unspeakable form had materialized and pulsed and twisted before their eyes. He asked her to describe it, but she said the thing defied explanation. Human languages had no names for what they had seen that night. The villagers had run away and when they had returned the next day the thing had been gone. Soon afterwards it began."

Everyone's eyes were now on Laura who grinned.

"What happened?" Carly asked.

"The kids, they began to act strangely. In the beginning they killed animals and started to speak to each other in strange tongues nobody had ever heard. The unearthly words themselves made people dream bad and feel watched. Then they started killing people. They dragged them to the stones where the thing had appeared and killed them there. At first in secrecy, then more and more open. The villagers finally did not know what else to do and locked the murderous kids in the barn. Even there they continued, chanting in inhuman tongues and sacrificing each other. Desperately the villagers tried to make them stop, but the kids did not talk to them anymore. Then on the third night they heard strange things from the barn. Things, that sounded not human at all. Armed with rifles and torches three men went in there. Only one of the men came out again. He did not speak anymore and was covered in sweat. This man held the other villagers at gunpoint and put the barn on fire. They cried and wanted to stop the fire, but he did not let them. So they heard the kids burn, but their screams ... they were not human. They were something else entirely. Something that tortured the very minds and souls of those who heard the screams. The villagers understood that what burned inside was not human anymore. So they cried and let the barn burn. The man who had been in there waited until it was burned out, then he put the gun to his mouth and shot himself." Laura smiled.

"What did your Granddad do?" Rob asked.

"He did not believe her and they killed everyone in the village and set up camp somewhere else." Laura sighed. "That is what the court said later. The judgment for my Granddad was death by hanging."

Everyone was silent. "Since my grandma told me this, I never looked at the stars the same way. She told me until today the village is abandoned and nobody has resettled there."

With a grin she leaned back against Miles. "So how is that for a Ghost story?"

Tag: @Reynar_Tedros

HanSolo29 likes this.