'Canes go for the Cup

Discussion in 'Raleigh, NC' started by dinoX, May 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dinoX Jedi Youngling

star 3
    I dunno how many other people are big NHL fans, but I am. Carolina is my 2nd favorite hockey team, so I'm pullin for them all the way. They need to do something about their passing, b/c either Detroit or Colorado far surpasses them in that aspect. They need a miracle to win the cup, but its awesome they are going for it!
  2. Jedi_Natalie Jedi Padawan

star 4
    I'm a big hockey fan! Go 'Canes!! I've got a pic up of me mixing Star Wars and hockey - http://www.jediquest.net/fans.html . I've been routing for the 'Canes in the east and the Avs in the west since playoffs started, this could be a really good turnout. Got my tickets so I'll be there. To bad the Avs lost tonight, I thought they would have it but that way it gives the Canes some more time to rest and get ready for the final round.

Can't wait,
    ~Natalie
    http://www.jediquest.net
  3. chuckreis Jedi Youngling

star 1
    The best thing about the 'Canes playing for the cup is that it should cement them in this area for many years. Winning seasons bring out fans, high profile games bring out fans and fans are what keep a team in an area.

Now if only we could get yoda to play for them, that would be perfect, I think he would have no problem getting a hat trick a game.
  4. Garindan_the_Kubaz Jedi Youngling

dinoX, I too though living in Carolina have to say that the Hurricanes are only my second favorite team. My favorite team is the Flyers, against whom the Hurricanes were winless this year. You don't need to talk about how much the Flyers suck in the playoffs... it's a shame. But I'm really hoping to see Carolina and Detroit as the Stanley Cup matchup. Two very exciting teams, what a series that would be. Having the finals here in Raleigh can only be good for our city at large, and not just for the Canes.
  5. TallonKaardgamer Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Yay for the Hurricanes - may the Force be with them! :D
  6. Jedi_Laura_Kenobi Jedi Master

star 5
  7. dinoX Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Yeah, my 1st favorite team is the San Jose Sharks, who got beat by a controversy-laden series against Colorado. I have learned now that colorado are the wimpy bully types. They draw penalties against the other team, but when they do something, they get away with it. I really hope Detroit creams 'em in game 7. They don't deserve the cup this year or any other year after.
  8. Jedi_Natalie Jedi Padawan

star 4
    The other good thing about the Canes getting this far in the playoffs is we won't be at so much of a risk of losing good players when they become free agents. And maybe people will want to play for our team now. Getting so far can only be good for the Team and the city, its been wonderful. I hope they can keep this up for future years.

I don't know about detroit though, for some reason I just don't like them. Its been a good series in the west and I'll be looking forward to watching the game tomorrow. I guess I'm the only one on this board that will be routing for the Avs, but hey I'm from Colorado so of course I would like them. Oh and Detroit hasn't been without drawing penalties either, especially Hasek, or at least he tries to. The thing is Detroit is a healthy team and the Avs are hurting so the game becomes a little more desperate, I guess you do what you can.

~Natalie
  9. chuckreis Jedi Youngling

star 1
    AVs all the way for me. Hate the Red Wings, first exhibition game for the Canes that I saw was against the Wings and thry killed the Canes, and I fear the same would happen now if the Wings win it.

10. TallonKaardgamer Jedi Padawan

star 4
    I'm with you, Natalie & Chuck. Detroit stinks. At least the Avs have class. Now that the 'Canes made the Cup playoffs, this will be an influx of huge amounts of revenue for our area's travel industry. It will be awesome. The ramifications are enormous because we're now in the big leagues. It tickles the heck out of me that I'd bet some people are shaking their heads, wondering how this so-called backwater town ended up with a world class hockey team! [face_laugh]

Go Canes!
  11. dinoX Jedi Youngling

star 3
  12. Jedi_Natalie Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Well thats it, the Wings got into Roys head. That looked an awful lot like the game we saw in Montreal with the Canes. I just found out that Raleighwood is going to be showing all games for free (plus the price of dinner), that sounds rather nice....nice big screen :) . I think the very first game though I'll be heading to the ESA, have jersey patches to get, playoff pins, as well as a vehicle flag which I happened to lose on the interstate the other day. I like the sound of Raleighwood though for game 2.

I don't think the Canes are completely lost to the Red Wings though it will be difficult. The Canes have made their team in the playoffs and they have a way of matching what the team throws at them. I don't think it will be onesided like they are predicting, but it will be a tremendous challenge.

~Natalie
  13. dinoX Jedi Youngling

star 3
    canes will do good. they've had longer to rest. colorado put pressure on detroit and wore them down a little bit. Avs are good at drawing penalties against other teams and getting away with murder themselves.

It'll be a good series. If the canes win the cup, I shall be happy. much partying will ensue either way. :D
  14. Jedi_Natalie Jedi Padawan

star 4
    After blockcading Cary, lets go larger...hehe...Detroit!
  15. chuckreis Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Hmmm ... Detroit does deserve a blockade...
  16. dinoX Jedi Youngling

star 3
    well I'm perfectly fine with letting colorado go from punishment this year, since they lost (yay!). Of course, if they had won, I'd petition to blockade them.
  17. TallonKaardgamer Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Chuck, go for it. The Detroit System is now blockaded!
  18. TallonKaardgamer Jedi Padawan

star 4
    I've thrown down the gauntlet and posted to the R2Detroit System that they are officially blockaded. I've put a wager on the winner of the cup from our area of a box of Krispy Kreme donuts or a bottle of some BBQ sauce to represent our hometowns. I just hope they send us a Cadillac when they lose. [face_devil]
  19. MiraxTHorn Jedi Master

star 4
    Greetings, Triangle Trade Federation, from a proud member of R2-Detroit! Let the trashtalking begin!

First, I must reply to this quote from TalonKaardgamer's earlier post: "Detroit stinks. At least the Avs have class."

What kind of deathsticks have you been smoking? They have about as much class as Dexter Jettster. The Denver Post called Darren McCarty a goon! McCarty? Get real! And, I won't bore you with a rant on the lack of class displayed by Roy.

I think most of us up here were rooting for Toronto in the Eastern Conference Finals, but not because we "hate" Carolina. (Carolina has a hockey team??) More likely it's the idea of two Original Six teams battling it out. We could have brought out the retro jerseys and everything! You see we have something in Detroit that you folks won't have for a long time - Tradition. We ARE Hockeytown.

But, in the interest of sportsmanship, I wish your team and your Fan Force, Good luck! We'll really look forward to that BBQ sauce (or whatever we finally agree on)!

Regards,
    M.

PS Talon - Keep dreaming about that Caddy.

20. TheHuntressDiana Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Talon...maybe I'll find you a little toy Caddy and paint a winged wheel on it for ya. That's the only kind of Caddy you'd be getting from us. ;)

Keep on dreamin' boyos. :)

As for Red Wings fans not having class...let's not go there folks...it's too easy to get nasty.

But when it comes to fan...Red Wings fans definately have class. You won't hear "Avs Suck!" or "Canes Suck!" being shouted in our arena. We don't need to resort to such childish slander... :cool:

HEY, HEY HOCKEYTOWN!

GO WINGS!
    :D
  21. TallonKaardgamer Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Ut oh! The floodgates have been opened NOW [face_mischief]
  22. Garindan_the_Kubaz Jedi Youngling

Sure, maybe your ancient team has some class, but do you have the toughness to handle our Hurricanes? This storm is going to leave your little red wings broken and you'll be hobbling back up to Detroit after being swept away in the series after game four in carolina. Stick to making cars, it's what you do best. We'll handle the hockey.
  23. Jedi_Natalie Jedi Padawan

star 4
    I bet we'll get it in 6, that way it gives the fans a nice home win. Afterall the Hurricanes are very fond of winning in 6. I bet this series will be similar to the series we had against the Devils, where goaltending was very important and there will be very physical play. What our team has though that Detroit doesn't, is a young team which has never been this far and has been given very little respect and there is a need to prove themselves. I've noticed the Canes play their best when they are in deperate situations (ie. Miracle at Molson and look at all those overtimes: won 6 out of 7 in playoffs). This will be to our advantage because their is a great desire for the cup. I'll be at the ESA tomorrow, anyone else going?
  24. dinoX Jedi Youngling

star 3
    No matter how much I love the canes as my 2nd favorite team, I'm going to have to say that it'll be the 'Wings in 6 or 7 games. The western conference games have all gone on to many game seven's this year. The west has some of the best teams in the NHL. Although I was quite surprised that Detroit had such a standout year...look at this: they can be beat and have been. They aren't invincible and they aren't gods. The only standout thing they possess is luck on the ice.

But it would be nice if the 'Canes could beat the 'Wings.

BTW to the person who said "are you smoking deathsticks?" - Deathsticks aren't smoked, they are poured into drinks. Come on now, you are supposed to be a star wars fan too - don't let hockey stiffen your fan abilities!
  25. Jedi_Natalie Jedi Padawan

star 4
    "No matter how much I love the canes as my 2nd favorite team, I'm going to have to say that it'll be the 'Wings in 6 or 7 games."

I have to be optimistic even if the odds aren't with the 'Canes. I think Canes will get it in 6, if the Wings win I think it will be in 7. I think I will have a better idea tomorrow night after seeing how the two teams play together.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.