main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

'Canes go for the Cup

Discussion in 'Archive: Raleigh, NC' started by dinoX, May 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chuckreis

chuckreis Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 17, 2002
    I am 50/50 on goign to the ESA tomorrow, but more than likely I will stay home.

hmm Detroit, the only reaosn we wil not hear "you suck" chants from the fans are because most of them have a hard time yelling from all the Factory Pollution in their lungs. Come to the good ole south for some fresh air and technology!

2. TheHuntressDiana

TheHuntressDiana Jedi Padawan star 4

May 4, 2001
    That was harsh chuckreis...and not all Wings fans are factory workers boyo. We're a good mix of blue & white collar workers. :D

3. MiraxTHorn

MiraxTHorn Jedi Master star 4

Aug 22, 2000
    Ah, please forgive my mistake. I should have said, "What have you been drinking?"
    Chalk it up to my shock that anyone could accuse Colorado and their fans of having class.

Here's what Detroiters awoke to find on the front page of today's Detroit Free Press: "Aunt Bee and Opie Meet Hockeytown"

Oh, and this article from the Oakland Press was also worth reading (at least the first couple lines): "There is a hockey team out there that can beat the Detroit Red Wings.
    Too bad for the Carolina Hurricanes they aren't it."

The tension mounts.

Regards,
    M.

4. Jedi_Natalie

Jedi_Natalie Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2002
    Hehe I hear they are going to try to get Andy Griffith to come to the hockey game :D

Well we have our own style of press coverage down here, thanks to 850 the Buzz:
    [image=http://www.jediquest.net/banners/graves_det.jpg]
    [image=http://www.jediquest.net/banners/car_vs_det.jpg]

5. TallonKaardgamer

TallonKaardgamer Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    I know the Red Wings have 6 Hall of Famers. I've heard it all - we don't deserve to be there, the fans are just now waking up, etc. etc....The 'Canes are the Rodney Dangerfield of Hockey - No respect - no respect at all!! :( But I can't help hoping for a Miracle in Acorn Town. I've always sorta rooted for the underdog.

6. chuckreis

Apr 17, 2002
    Make sure you come back to the board when the headline reads "Aunt Bee Spanks Wings: Opie looks on with a smile"

7. robertyodarugenstein

robertyodarugenstein Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 9, 2002
    Hello. Just to let you now we have 9 hall of famers not 6. You are right Carolina does deserves to be in the finals because we do need to spank.

8. Jedi_Natalie

May 20, 2002
    Hehe I just found out all the statues down at the Capital are now decked out in Hurricanes Jerseys! [face_laugh] The mayors I guess are really getting into this! I might have to take a swing down there to see this. They have pictures up on the CarolinaHurricanes web site too.

9. TallonKaardgamer

Apr 9, 2002
    Ah ha! I knew we had an advantage! The Opie factor.... [face_blush] "Wars make not one great," as Yoda said, but hey R2Detroit, BRING IT! If Opie was farmboy Luke in Star Wars, he'd surely say, "Detroit is the system I want to be farthest from!"
    [face_devil]

10. TallonKaardgamer

Apr 9, 2002
    Natalie, the statues at the State Capitol decked out in the Hurricane swirl!? YEE HAW! This I gotta see!! Make them thar RedWings turn rount an be skeered outta their cotton picken' minds! Where's that guy in Cary with the WW II cannon?! You may fire when ready, Grizzly!

11. chuckreis

Apr 17, 2002
    Know the difference between a porcupine and Detroit?

A porcupine has pricks on the outside.

12. Garindan_the_Kubaz

Garindan_the_Kubaz Jedi Youngling

Nov 25, 2001
    And the Canes win! The Canes win!! Coming from behind and winning it... wakeup call for Detroit.

13. Jedi_Natalie

May 20, 2002
    This was deffinatley an important step for Carolina. Something we have seen often :D (7-1 in overtime so far!). I was very dissapointed with the refs though, I am just glad finally won it though. There were three penalties on the Canes that I couldn't see in the replays (and no one else could either) and there was one for the Wings that I couldn't see (but we don't mind those as much :) ). We deffinatley made some mistakes in the plays tonight, several could have been real dangerous and you can tell the Wings have a real polished style, since there are so many veterans out there. It was a good game, a lot of back and forth and an ultimate win dosen't hurt. I really don't think this series will be any harder than the one with the Devils earlier. The only difference is that round was a battle of strength and I think this one is more finesse and puck handling.

I'm looking forward to Thursday, got my Stanley Cup patch, now I have to figure out how to get it on. They cost enough so I don' twant to mess it up. I'll be at Raleighwood this Thursday, can't wait :) .

14. TallonKaardgamer

Apr 9, 2002
    Diana?! Diana! Yew com heah, girl! Dat's rite, Ah b callin' yew! ... sit rat cheer next to me by the cee-ment pond. We done wanna heah dat tall tale agayn, jes one mo' time, OK? You don't know which one ah b talkin' bout? Yew kno th' one! ... the one 'bout how us country 'Cane hicks 'sposed LOSE .... take it on de chin rite nice like, and then go away wit our huntin' dawg tail 'tween our legs.... Ah LUVs that FayRay tale. Now yew be a good girl...Git me a bowl of sum of dat dere GRITS. Mah huntin' dawg, Boo, wants to heah it, too. Now chilluns! Chilluns! yew all behave now, an listen up to Diana from R2Detroit land. Go rat ahaid, girl! hee hee hee

15. Scooby_Wan_Kenobi

Scooby_Wan_Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 22, 2002
    Enjoy it while you can.....The Candycanes go down in five.

BTW, before this year, did you guys even know Raleigh had a hockey team?or did the bandwagon just run over your feet?

16. TallonKaardgamer

Apr 9, 2002
    I was at the ESA freebee, oh my gosh it wild loud and proud, Natalie. Yes, I agree that was an incredibly strong physical game the RedWings put on. I was definitely impressed, and the Canes played with style over the Red Wings pure muscle, and at times I could clearly see Detroit dominating. But fighting dirty?! Good lord, I saw so many Red Wing sticks tapping the family jewels of our 'Canes players. What a lowdown dirty thing to do! Why, ah am ASHAMED of they-yum!
    I'll go to Raleighwood Thursday night and see it with you, lady! Good work team!

17. Jedi_Natalie

May 20, 2002
    Wow Don that took me a while to read through that post, hehe, I'm not so fluent in southern. Wasn't the ESA great?? I had the news camera on me for a while, doubt I got on though, seems to elude me ever time... Well at least I got on the jumbotron once and I didn't even see it! Figures. :) . Raleighwood will be great (I'm getting there at 7, I think they will fill up fast), the thing I don't like about the ESA is that it is very difficult to understand what they are saying..had to wait until i got home to find out what the bench minor was for. Some of those calls were awful, and both ways I might add. Now we are 7-3 for road games...looking good for us! I'm not sure but I think that is 7 games straight too. Sami Kapanen really showed up tonight with 2 assist, this is good since he had a slow start in the playoffs and he is such a valuable player (not to mention my fav).

I guess my dream last night was a good omen after all, I told all my friends about it. I drempt a huge storm was coming, something bigger than I have ever seen before.... Then my friend starting flying the car, fortuenatly there weren't any wings on it :D .

[image=http://www4.ncsu.edu:8030/~ciflower/images/hurricane.jpg]

18. MiraxTHorn

MiraxTHorn Jedi Master star 4

Aug 22, 2000
    Ok, Talon, I've got family in the deep South that don't have THAT thick an accent. Pretty funny (and really hard to read!)

As for tonight's game, well, let me just remind you of the Vancouver series. We let the Canucks get two games on us and look where we are now. Personally, I don't think the Wings played all that well tonight. Hopefully on Thursday, they'll turn it back on and we'll show you folks how this game is supposed to be played.

BTW, "You're welcome." for providing you with Aaron Ward. He's a product of TWO of our best hockey teams - the Red Wings and the Univ. of Michigan National Championship team. (i'm still a little miffed with Scotty for sending him away!)

Regards,
    M.

19. Padawan311

Padawan311 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 18, 2002
    That was an awesome win in overtime!!! Go Canes!!! Detriot truly underestimated us!

20. Jirin_Raman

Jirin_Raman Jedi Master star 4

Apr 6, 2002
    Hats off to the Hurricanes for their big win last night. What a great game it was. Not only did Carolina overcome the Red Wings, but they overcame the hype in the media surrounding a Red Wings trampling over the 'Canes. Carolina continues to play hard in this year's Stanley Cup Playoffs. Seeing Dom Hasek beat on that OT goal by Francis was sweet. As a Buffalo Sabres fan, it is my goal to see Hasek fail in his quest for the Cup. After his off-season debacle with my team (Holding the team hostage by demanding they get little to no value in return from Detroit), I wish him to retire from the NHL sans a Cup victory!

21. TheHuntressDiana

TheHuntressDiana Jedi Padawan star 4

May 4, 2001
    Good God I'm tired. Late games and 6am alarms don't go well together (for me)...

Better make that the media over estimating and not the Wings themselves. Media hype sucks...as Star Wars fans, every single one of you should know this. All this bickering over it is pointless.

As for the game last night. It was good...very intense...and both teams made mistakes. Our biggest was probably the line change in the 2nd when the 'Canes scored to even it out again.

That last goal by Francis...there wasn't much our guys could do (I admit it)...it was set up nicely.

I look forward to game 2 on Thursday night.

22. dinoX

dinoX Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 20, 2002
    ahh. U of M. my favorite college. :D

have had an uncle and aunt graduate from there. M GO BLUE!

but as for detroit...good luck to 'em.

23. Garindan_the_Kubaz

Garindan_the_Kubaz Jedi Youngling

Nov 25, 2001
    I know you all are preoccupied with the Hurricanes and Stanley Cup finals, but HOW BOUT THAT US SOCCER TEAM!!!

24. Scooby_Wan_Kenobi

Scooby_Wan_Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 22, 2002
    Now the series really begins!....We had to spot you a game, so that you would not lose interest! ;)

25. Jedi_Natalie

May 20, 2002
    Don, are you still planning on Raleighwood tonight? I'll be the one there with a 24 Sami Kapanen jersey and hopefully by then I will have gotten the Stanley Cup patch on the front as well. My dad will be there too and he has a 17 Brind-Amor jersey, so we should be easy to find :) . Anyone else coming?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.