'Canes go for the Cup

Discussion in 'Raleigh, NC' started by dinoX, May 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chuckreis Jedi Knight

star 1
    Natalie, please tell us what you really think :)
  2. jadesaber2 Force Ghost

star 5
    I was listening to the radio this morning on my way to school, and they were reading a letter to Mitch. It was quite scathing. All I could think was, "He deserves it." They even gave out his phone number (It's publicly listed elsewhere).
  3. TheHuntressDiana Jedi Master

star 4
    Personally, I can't stand the guy...I think he's a jerk.

Some may say he's passionate about sports and when he writes about sports, but he's seriously lacking in "sportsmanship" when it comes to respecting other teams/cities.

I haven't read anything he's written in ages...and I'm not about to start to again.

Do yourself a favor and just ignore him and let him get whatever is coming to him.
  4. TallonKaardgamer Jedi Master

star 4
    Emotions have run high, Natalie, and I know it's disheartening to see the focus and drive seep out from the 'Canes with some uninspired play. The Red Wings are an outstanding team and they are truly deserving of the win should Thursday pan out the way I now believe it will. This has really been an epic struggle.

On the media, we have our own set of put-downers on The Buzz 820 AM radio. Anyone who listens to their blather is in the same league as that other guy you mentioned.

(We've come a long way from the days in Rome when gladiators fought to the death, or losers in a race were, well, shall we say, not treated with any respect. I'd like to think we're more enlightened).

Anyway, HuntressDiana, you are wise beyond your years.

I'm in awe at the rough and tumble sport of hockey. Truly both teams are champions, and only good can come out of this epic struggle.

5. Jedi_Natalie Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm glad to hear everyone say this. I'll be at Raleighwood again this Thursday. It was so great last time but I think getting there before 7 is a must. Last time we ended up sitting in the front row booth.

After last night, well my faith is coming back a little bit.. There is that tiny bit of hope deep down that sais if they can just win Game 5 then they will be back home and they will have had some more rest. I think at this point the teams need it, I can hardly believe they had recovered from Saturdays game.

Oh yah Don I listen to those guys on 850, he never thought we would get this far. I think he was adamant we weren't going to win against Toronto and there wasn't the slightest chance against the Red Wings if it came to it. Hehe I think when I listened to him one time he was getting so upset with the people calling in yelling at him that he got all worked up and said after the commercial he was switching to basketball.
  6. dinoX Jedi Knight

star 3
    This same thing happened to Irbe, although not as bad, back when the Sharks were playing the Leafs in the playoffs several years ago. He was also on the sharks when they BEAT DETROIT IN THE PLAYOFFS a few years back as well. He can do it, he just needs the rest of the team to really truly back him up.

The ways its looking, I'm sad to say is that the 'Canes (my 2nd favorite team in hockey - my most favorite sport of all I may add) are going to be having the summer off on a sad note, while the 'Wings get to go around to each and every place each team member wants to go with the Cup. There is still next year, but my question is will Carolina do as good...?

But to Natalie, I hope things get better for ya. Just remember when you are down...there is always tomorrow, whether it is bad or not, with family, friends or just by yourself - if you believe in it, you can and will be still here to enjoy it. I dunno if that helps any...
  7. Jedi_Natalie Jedi Master

star 4
    Thanks dinoX. Hockey I have always used as my escape route you might say, that and Star Wars. Lets just say my mom is sick of hearing about both subjects. I think she will be glad for playoffs to be over and she was very glad when the movie finally came out. This is what gets me through stressful times. When I can concentrate my mind on something it helps immensley, very useful during school as well. What am I going to do when hockeys over...well I'll have these SW parties to look forward to :) . I think my mom will be going into surgery at the end of July that way I can go up and take care of her for a couple weeks before school starts. I will find out exactly what is going on this Monday.

I'm just now seeing some of the replays from the Monday night game, to bad we didn't get a 5 minute power play like we should have. At least Fischer got suspended though for that crosscheck to Westlund, it was pretty ugly.

I can't even begin to say how much I want the Canes to win on Thursday. At this point I really don't care if they win in the end, I just hope it goes to 6 games. They have worked so hard to get here, they deserve more than this.

The one other time a team came back from a 3-1 defecit was against the Red Wings as well. Then again, the team wasn't full of hall of famers either.

Please win Thursday... Please win Thursday...
  8. Starburstlvr Jedi Knight

star 1
    Irbe is playing like a God. His defensemen are falling all around him. If I were him I'd be upset with the guys on my team. They *have* to play more offense. When you have a goalie so on top of his game, how dare you let him down by making very few shots on goal. I want the 'Canes to get mad and make sure that Detroit does not take the cup, at least not take the cup while in Detroit!
  9. jadesaber2 Force Ghost

star 5
    Darn. Well, at least it wasn't a shutout. Still, this rates highly on the [face_plain] scale.

Oh well, maybe next year...
  10. TheHuntressDiana Jedi Master

star 4
    Good series guys. It wasn't easy for either team, but I'm not going to say that I'm sorry we won, because I'm not. :cool:

Again, good job to your guys...and hopefully, you'll do well next year.
  11. MiraxTHorn Force Ghost

star 4
    Gotta give a big congrats to the Hurricanes! They played a great series with class as did their fans! Congrats, you guys are for real.

Regards,
    M.

(We got Stanley.)
  12. Jedi_Natalie Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm sad. I just wanted one more win. I don't know what I'm going to do for the next three months without hockey to look forward too.

I would like to know their new icing rule, does anyone understand it? Since the final round they seem to always be wavign it off...no one touches it, I think if the opposing team is just heading in that direction it is waved off...I dont know, not like it mattered much either way, I would just like to understand a rule which I thought was pretty simple. The last penalty for intereferance should not have been called and the roughing penalty was nothing...but other than that it was a good game. and its over now..Just really really sad...

Well the parade is at 7:30 this saturday, looking forward to it. I wonder what time the Canes are coming home tonight.
  13. royalguard96 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    My hopes are with your mom for a quick recovery Nat.

I am active in the Detroit thread, and I am celebrating right now!! But my hat's off to Carolina for giving the Wings a tough, tough series. It was nice for me as a hockey fan to see the fan support the Canes had. It's good for the sport, and I hope it keeps up even when the team isn't in the Cup Finals.

But this was Detroit's year. No matter who came out of the East, the Wings would prove to be too talented, deep and experienced to be denied. This is a rare team, and I don't know if we'll see a team as good as this for a long time. Congrats Carolina for a great run, and Congrats DETROIT!!!
  14. dinoX Jedi Knight

star 3
    even tho i knew they were gonna win, i loved that goal by o'neal. it was so hard and so fast, even hasek didn't see it go in. I knew it did though, took me a second.

Good try 'Canes.
  15. chuckreis Jedi Knight

star 1
    You are right Dino that was a "movie goal", it was perfect and probably the best of the series. Even in slo-mo the puck was cooking. It was a good finals and the canes played like champions and they lost like sportsmen should, with elegance.

16. TallonKaardgamer Jedi Master

star 4
    Who's going to the celebration downtown Saturday night?
  17. Jedi_Natalie Jedi Master

star 4
    I'll be there! I'll be wearing my 24 Kapanen home jersey and my dad has a 17 Brind-Amor home jersey with the stanley cup patches and 4 pins on the front. So that might help to recognize us...I'll be on the lookout for anyone.
  18. Jedi_Natalie Jedi Master

star 4
    Just got back. There were tons of people! That was a great turnout. To bad I could barely see the stage, I got to see everyone up there very sporadically and the media had their setup right in front of the stage up high so you couldn't see past them. We worked our way through the crowds enough to see the players every once and a while. Ron Francis sounded like he had a hard time delivering his speech, I don't think they have gotten over the loss yet. We love our team and thats all that matters, they will do great in years to come!
  19. TallonKaardgamer Jedi Master

star 4
    Watched it on TV , both Ch11 and Ch 17 carried it- they said there were 30,000 there! OMG!!! It was a wall to wall party. Great band, great speaches, great fireworks. They certainly deserve all the accolades for an outstanding season. The team looked very flattered at the attention! ;)
  20. dinoX Jedi Knight

star 3
    i watched it on 17. I loved when Irbe spoke. My mom was like "Man he is a small guy." hehe.

I wanna try to get him to autograph my sharks jersey...to me, he'll always be "The Wall". :D
  21. TheHuntressDiana Jedi Master

star 4
    I just wanted to remind Tallon here that a bottle of BBQ sauce would still be better than Krispy Cream donuts....they'd go better with these... :cool:

[image=http://a299.g.akamai.net/f/299/1588/6h/www.nhl.com/cupcrazy2002/serieso/gallery_lockerroom/chtamp_hat.jpg] [image=http://a299.g.akamai.net/f/299/1588/6h/www.nhl.com/cupcrazy2002/serieso/gallery5/lidstrom_smythe.jpg] [image=http://a299.g.akamai.net/f/299/1588/6h/www.nhl.com/cupcrazy2002/serieso/gallery5/bowman_hoists_cup.jpg] [image=http://a299.g.akamai.net/f/299/1588/6h/www.nhl.com/cupcrazy2002/serieso/gallery5/champs_pose.jpg]
  22. Jedi_Natalie Jedi Master

star 4
    Don, Have you sent it up yet?
  23. chuckreis Jedi Knight

star 1
  24. TallonKaardgamer Jedi Master

star 4
    Okay, Okay! ... first we're beaten in hockey, then I'm beaten by a superior woman. All women are superior. The BBQ sauce is going out in the mail tomorrow. :D
  25. jadesaber2 Force Ghost

star 5
    Y'know, I've been living here for over 8 years, and the only BBQ sauce I've had is still Kraft.

Man, I need to get out more! :p
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.