main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Orlando, FL Canoe trip summary

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by Ia-Bou, Apr 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ia-Bou

Ia-Bou Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 15, 2001
    Ok guys I want to post the full canoe details on the board...

I need an exact time to meet, money, address for where we are going.... and so forth

I have down May 8th at nine..... should we meet at nine in orlando or meet there at 9 ? what should it be?

Ia

2. Ruckus

Ruckus Jedi Master star 3

Apr 2, 2002
    For those who may be closer to Kings Landing or who rather just go where we need to meet- meeting at the canoe landing would be the better option, especially at 9am!

3. Sabacc

Sabacc Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 9, 2001
    Makes sense to me. I'm pretty certain Melanie and I will drive together. Dale, if you're going, you wanna come along and ride with us (fantastic voyage)? Lemme know. But that's just because we all live fairly close together- seems to make sense to meet at the Landing. This will be a good place for accurate detailed directions once somebody musters them.

And kids, like camping, layer your clothes. It's probably going to be chilly on the way there and nice and hot for the bulk of the journey. Which suggests sunblock, too. Also, if you've got a seat pad (one of those square things or a sports stadium type) it'll make your rear end as happy as your top one. The folks at KL are reluctant to loan out theirs because they think we'll forgo the life vests for the semi-floating, but not-technically-a-floatation-device seat pads.

Also, Dale, no open booze. just kidding, my man. But just to be on the safe side, nobody's allowed to look in his satchel. -Campbell

4. Ia-Bou

Jul 15, 2001
    anyone have directions to the canoe place?

Ia

5. RogueScribner

RogueScribner Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2004
    I found this:

Amend it as necessary, anyone in the know.

Access
    From Orlando, travel north on I-4 to SR 436. This will take you to the small city of Apopka. In Apopka, turn north (right) on CR 435 / Park Avenue. Follow this for six miles to a T-intersection at Kelly Park Road. Turn east (right) and then north (left) on Baptist Camp Road. Go past Kelly Park to the King's Landing put-in. It will be on the right side of the road. To find the take-out from Apopka, at SR 436 turn north (right) on S. Hunt Club Blvd. Follow to N. Hunt Club Blvd. Continue on this road to the canoe launch at Wekiva Marina.

Note: Just like in Disney World, there are fees associated with this adventure. Expect to pay $5 to launch your own boat, $20 to rent a canoe and $10 for one person to ride from the take-out back to the put-in. Also, if you visit the Wekiwa Springs State Park, it's $1 per person by boat or $4 by car. Launching at the marina is $3 per boat.

L8r

6. Ia-Bou

Jul 15, 2001
    awesome...that was just what I was looking for
    Ia

7. Sabacc

Dec 9, 2001
    Thanks for the directions, but what about the fees? Assuming we're still going from King's Landing (I hope) I recall it being only $25 for each canoe with the ride back to the put-in being included. We don't have our own boats, so no launch fees. Am I right? -c

[from the Rogue- Note: Just like in Disney World, there are fees associated with this adventure. Expect to pay $5 to launch your own boat, $20 to rent a canoe and $10 for one person to ride from the take-out back to the put-in. Also, if you visit the Wekiwa Springs State Park, it's $1 per person by boat or $4 by car. Launching at the marina is $3 per boat.]

8. Ruckus

Apr 2, 2002
    Didn't I post all this info before? Just about anything one needs to know about how and how much is in the proper canoe trip thread.

9. raiza123

raiza123 Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 18, 2003
    Yes but now we're approaching the trip and the old canoe trip post just says "short trip". I like this post better since it actually talks about what we're doing. Thank you for the directions AND the prices. I can't wait until then! See you all there!

Melanie

10. Ruckus

Apr 2, 2002
    Reposting all pertinent info from original canoe trip post who were confused that the short trip thread is was the canoe trip thread:
    The website link for Kings Landing:

http://members.aol.com/kingslndng/

The reply I got about the price:

Donna is usually at the canoe shack 'in person' from 9-12 weekdays... 407-886-0859... call and tell her whay day you'll be there and what time (before 12!) and she'll have em ready for you. There's a machine on that phone after hours too. Jusy come on out and bring a picnic lunch maybe. Takes about 4 hrs to paddle 8mi down to the marina. We pickup in our van and bring you back to King's Landing.
    (Note: No price was given.)
    The prices-
    Katie's Landing and this is sorta weird how they have their prices-
    Cost: Canoe runs: Adults $16.50 to $25, depending on canoe route and number in party; children (3 to 11) half price. Canoe rentals: $14.50 minimum (for 2 hours) up to $25 maximum per day. A 7% sales tax is added to all fees.
    Hours: Daily 8:00 a.m. to sunset
    Location: Take I-4 Exit 51, go west on SR 46 for 5 miles, then right onto Wekiva Park Drive for 1 mile

For King's Landing-
    A canoe for two to the take out point at the Wekiwa Marina is $25. The trip averages about 4 hours, although many bring a picnic lunch to stretch it out a little. Arrive between 8:30am and 1:00pm for the trip downstream. The King's Landing vans pick up at the Marina from about 1:30 till 5:30.

Hope this helps you all out.

11. Sabacc

Dec 9, 2001
    It does help. Again. Since we keep talking about two different places, let's lock it down and say we're going to KING'S LANDING. There's been no vocal opinion towards Katie's Landing so let's simplify the situation and go with King's. -Campbell

12. Ruckus

Apr 2, 2002
    Those who attended the meeting were supposed to pick a date- it was on Ia's agenda for the meeting.

13. Sabacc

Dec 9, 2001
    Whoa Whoa Whoa
    A date? We've got a date. It's the 9th of May.

14. JediScout

JediScout Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 8, 2004
    I have down May 8th at nine..... should we meet at nine in orlando or meet there at 9 ? what should it be?

Ia

Well whats it gonna be tough guy?

15. RogueScribner

RogueScribner Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2004
    There seems to be some miscommunication here. I thought it was determined that the trip would be May 8th (a Saturday) and that we'd meet at the location at 9am. Has any of this changed?

L8r

16. raiza123

Dec 18, 2003
    It is supposed to be May 8th Saturday at 9am. Some of us are driving together and wanted to know if others would like to car pool. I don't know if Campbell is kidding or just overly tired and made an error. It is not on Sunday May 9th, since we all agreed to Saturday.

Melanie

17. Sabacc

Dec 9, 2001
    Nope, Campbell just fouled up. Must've mistyped or something. Appy-poly-logies. I was just so surprised that Ruckus mentioned that we needed to determine a date- that I hastily put a wrong one. I'm in total agreement: SATURDAY, 8 MAY, 9am (900 hours), we're meeting at KING's LANDING. -Campbell the imperfect

18. raiza123

Dec 18, 2003
    "Take him away!"

Melanie ;)

19. Ruckus

Apr 2, 2002
    0ooops.. my bad-- I meant locale- not date. At the meeting the choice between Katie's Landing or Kings Landing was to be made.. sorry for the mix up there.

20. Sabacc

Dec 9, 2001
    All is well in the kingdom. At least Ruck and I stirred up the mud enough to get some of us thinking about this trip again. Now we just have to learn how to do a good weather dance.

21. Ruckus

Apr 2, 2002
    Well to make ya all feel better... I won't be going on the canoe trip... I'd like to, but its in the best intrests of all parties.

22. JediScout

JediScout Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 8, 2004
    Yes, think Ill go now, Brandon how about you?

23. raiza123

Dec 18, 2003
    Yea! Dale's going! Campbell, me, Mike? Brandon? Ia & Aaron. It's going to be a blast! Can't wait for this Saturday!

Melanie

24. chewbacca1138

chewbacca1138 Jedi Master star 2

Mar 12, 2002
    Thanks Melanie, I can see I am now in the throwaway pile with James...;)

I cannot go, as I will be having my friend from Tampa over and we must go to my dad's boss' bbq...ugh...

Hope you all have fun!

25. Ruckus

Apr 2, 2002
    You know... I haven't stopped laughing yet... Dale says that like I'm bothered by it. Heck.. maybe I will go anyways, Dale wanna share a canoe with me?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.