main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Canon Wars Forum

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Darth-Seldon, Dec 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    Just because I have not posted in a canon wars forum does not mean i have not read them!

Of course you haven't posted in a canon wars forum. No one has. One doesn't exist. Therefore it is impossible to have posted in OR read a canon wars forum.

Now I don't like how they are now. At the moment they are pointless but It does not have to be that way.

No, this is what you're not understanding. You can ask anyone in the EUDF of Lieutenant or higher how pointless canon wars and how they have been for the last 4-5 years.

As I have said, all they do is cause a separation between Star Wars fans that is not needed. As fans we should all be united in our like of Star Wars, not split down the middle by who likes EU or not. The Focus Group helped me come to a greater realization of that.

2. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    First of all we would build this forum for at least two weeks before it is public. We would make several serious threads that deal with Canon. If we make threads that are serious then we can get it to work. They will know what to expect. We have to set a lot of ground rules and have a lot of moderators.

Now I don't know if it will work but we should try. We could try it and then if it does not work we can always make it inactive or delete it all together. But I say it is worth a try.

We should face the problem and not try to escape it (three strike policy)

3. Old_Brown_Shoe

Old_Brown_Shoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 23, 2001
    A canon wars forum. Goodie.

I personally love the saga-ist/purist speculation thread, but I'm guessing that's the Kiss of Death for it because in a forum filled with threadkillers, I'm one of those guys with the magic touch. However, a whole forum devoted to the nonsense that fills the boards with more loathing than anything but PT bashing\gushing is not a good idea. In fact, at least the bashing-gushing debate actually can go somewhere, because nobody can argue that LFL declared TPM and AOTC good movies and therefore that's the end of the discussion.

Coming at it from the, I guess it would be sagaist side (haven't got my definitions handy; used to be ExUer [now there was a time of canon wars!]), the only interest I would have in such a forum is the sick interest one gets from watching a car wreck, yet I know I wouldn't be able to resist (it's like a powerful drug to me; I always get pulled back). There's enough stupidity, self-importance, ignorance, and hatred in the real world; must we create artificial examples to further fill our lives? The whole canon war is good for two things:

1) it serves as a constant reminder of the the human need to fight over silly, pointless topics that should not be a source of division;

2) it provides an arena for young people to exercise skills applicable to real life issues where the debate is based around inflammatory rhetoric, overheated emotion, blind dogmatism, ad hominen attacks, image and posturing, specious reasoning and poor logic, and a clannish "us versus them" mentality and black and white duality. In other words, unfortunately pretty much every issue in existence.

Finally, there is no debate anymore, with the current LFL policy, because as soon as someone questions the EU, someone else immediately posts that LFL has declared all non-infinities EU to be canon. You can't have an honest debate when the discussion goes like that, people! There is no debate, just guerrila hit and run conflict that more often than not victimizes naive newbies posting things they don't realize will cause our resident factions and denominations to antagonize each other. There's just hostile parties sniping at each other.

There's a certain mindset to the Canon Warrior, a certain failing, a certain lack of objectivity, or overabundance of temper, an inability to see what is really important on a SW message board, and that is to interact in a friendly manner with people who share that interest. I should know; even though I've never had a ban, I've been guilty in many small ways in the past, and I'll no doubt be guilty again in the future. Fortunately, the problem only directly affects a small minority of posters, and for those so affected, we can hold it in check most of the time. A Canon Wars forum would be like throwing oil tankers on a smouldering brush fire, or driving up to a rehab facility with a dump truck full of crack. It would give a black eye to the JC.

I'm sorry to have written such a long post on something we all know to be nonsense, but I felt it needed to be said.

4. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003
    Does every Star Wars fan have to have the exact same opinions on everything. NO. This is not a split it is a small difference in opinion I mean it is just because we are all different and living in a diverse world.

I meant to say that I have read Canon War THREADS I just have not posted in them.

5. Stackpole_The_Hobbit

Stackpole_The_Hobbit Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    First of all we would build this forum for at least two weeks before it is public. We would make several serious threads that deal with Canon. If we make threads that are serious then we can get it to work.

The more serious the discussion is, the easier it will likely degenerate into flaming and idiocy.

They will know what to expect. We have to set a lot of ground rules and have a lot of moderators.

Yes, the mods don't do enough as it is, right?

Now I don't know if it will work

It won't.

but we should try.

Four to five years of canon wars, four or five years of immaturity, four to five years of proof.

We could try it and then if it does not work we can always make it inactive or delete it all together. But I say it is worth a try.

Doubt it.

It's not trying to escape it. It is facing the problem. The problem is that there will never be a good civil canon debate.

6. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    But yet we still debate religion in the Senate Forum.

You could drive a truck through the hole in that analogy. Religious discussions in the Senate usually focus on the meaning or social significance of religion. A debate that was originally intended to be a theist vs. atheist fight was toned down to a discussion on whether the Bible is reasonable partially to avoid the situation you're proposing where people with opposite ideas fruitlessly defend an entire school of thought.

I think your proposal is more similar to locking a Christian, a Jew, and a Muslim in a room together and making them scream at one another with the intent of reaching a concensus on which western religion is right.

Additionally, I don't think there's any purpose in generating negativity by encouraging people to argue about canon. You suggested that having people argue about canon in one place would stop them from doing it on the rest of the boards, sort of like in Freud's model of a steam engine for blowing off aggression. Freud was wrong a lot. Just look at how poorly JCC's official spam thread did at trying to keep spam out of the rest of the forum.

7. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003
    It does not have to be a forum of nonsense that is what you don't understand.

8. Stackpole_The_Hobbit

Jul 31, 2002
    No, what you don't understand is that the topic itself is nonsense.

9. OBIX1

OBIX1 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 7, 2002
    To me,I don't think a forum like that would do anything.I think it would just make people more heated at each other.The way I wiew the whole "cannon" issue is-Everyone has there own oppinion,and that's perfectly fine. ;) :)

10. jedi_master_ousley

Jun 14, 2002
    First of all we would build this forum for at least two weeks before it is public. We would make several serious threads that deal with Canon. If we make threads that are serious then we can get it to work. They will know what to expect. We have to set a lot of ground rules and have a lot of moderators.

See, the thing here is that the only people who are good at debating EU are the ones who are against such a forum. So therefore, we wouldn't post in it. I know about 5 purists who debate with me on a regular basis (and we don't hate each other, believe it or not) and countless completists. None of us are in support of such a forum, and none of us would go there and make topics for it. That means that all the good debators are gone, and then you're left with nothing. And therefore the forum doesn't get started the way you want it. I can garuntee you anyone who has battle scars from a canon war would boycott such a forum if they were told to be the forerunners of it.

Now I don't know if it will work but we should try. We could try it and then if it does not work we can always make it inactive or delete it all together. But I say it is worth a try.

There's no point in even trying. Like I just said, the only ones who debate the EU are the ones who would not be the forerunners of such a forum and it would not get past the "trial" stage because there would be nothing to try.

You just really don't get it.

11. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003
    Freud was wrong a lot?
    I suppose Darwin was wrong about Evolution. And I'm sure Ernie Rutherford was wrong about the structure of an atom.

And I have friends that are Jewish and friends that are Muslim, I have friends that are Mormans, Baptists, etc and I'm Catholic and we never had a problem even if we were in a room together.

You know you all just hide behind excuses.

Seldon you don't know your a newbie.

The Canon wars never get anywhere.

Its all nonsense.

The Three Strike is an answer.

None of you want to face the issues at hand. None of you will give it a chance at all. You can twist my words and you can argue all you want but you can't change facts and ideals.

SELDON

12. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003
    Ousley I'm not making fun of you but you and your friends are not the ONLY good debators on these boards. These boards are so huge that you could never make a generalization about such a fact.

The biggest risk is not to try at all!

13. Stackpole_The_Hobbit

Jul 31, 2002
    Ladies and gentlebeings, you're seeing a prime example of the popular debating tactic, 'I'm right you're wrong! NO! NO! LALALALLALALALALLALALalalalaLALALLALALALLALALALA!'

14. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003
    If your going to point fingers then it goes both ways. And at least I consider the other sides arguments. I respect all opinions.

A wise teacher once said in Homeroom,

"I'M RIGHT YOUR WRONG, DEAL WITH IT, THATS LIFE."

It sort of reminds me of you guys except your wrong about a great many things, but not all things.

I agree at the moment the Canon wars are nonsense. But they can be changed. That is where we differ.

15. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Here's a plan.

Start an ez-board or some other free board for people here who are interested to have their canon debate(s). Advertise it in your sig to grab members. Run it in the way you would expect the Mods here to run it.

The whole thing would be kind of like an illegal cockfight.

Report back to us when you have resolved the "wars" and come to a conclusion.

Thnx.

16. Stackpole_The_Hobbit

Jul 31, 2002
    To jp-30 you listen.

If your going to point fingers then it goes both ways. And at least I consider the other sides arguments. I respect all opinions.

I do too. I just have experience to realise the FACT that this is fruitless.

A wise teacher once said in Homeroom,

It sort of reminds me of you guys except your wrong about a great many things, but not all things.

As are you.

I agree at the moment the Canon wars are nonsense. But they can be changed. That is where we differ.

They've also been this way since THE BEGINNING OF THE JEDI COUNCIL FORUMS. Five years ago. Five years is a long time.

17. jedi_master_ousley

Jun 14, 2002
    And I have friends that are Jewish and friends that are Muslim, I have friends that are Mormans, Baptists, etc and I'm Catholic and we never had a problem even if we were in a room together.

You sure would if you were debating who's religion is correct. Especially if it entailed one person screaming at the others while the others held their hands over their ears.

You know you all just hide behind excuses.

Excuses != proofs.

Seldon you don't know your a newbie.

It is simply the truth. Sorry, but it is true. You haven't seen what some of us have seen. Heck, I have seen what some of the oldbies have seen.

The Canon wars never get anywhere.

Its true. 4-5 years of unanimous results kinda make you think that.

Not an exucuse. Not a single one has gotten us anywhere.

Its true. 4-5 years of unanimous results kinda make you think that.

Its all nonsense.

Need I repeat myself?

The Three Strike is an answer.

By eliminating the EU debates, there is no longer the hatred among fans that the EU debates cause. Your proposal only leads to people spreading discord throughout the forums.

None of you want to face the issues at hand.

We already have faced the issues at hand. That was the point of the focus group. Anyone in it will tell you that.

None of you will give it a chance at all.

Why would we? I think several years of consistant results show that it would not do any good. Plus you can go by human nature that when people disagree they get angry and many flames start flying.

You can twist my words and you can argue all you want but you can't change facts and ideals.

And you can say that 5 years of unchanging facts can change, but that fact is that they will not.

Ousley I'm not making fun of you but you and your friends are not the ONLY good debators on these boards. These boards are so huge that you could never make a generalization about such a fact.

When it comes to canon, we are the main debators. There are other good debators, I'm sure, but we're the people that other people mention in posts. Both my completist AND purist friends are the ones that are mentioned in hindsight of other debates. The completists get mentioned in the EUDF thread by other EUDF members for good posts and defenses. I'm not trying to sound arrogant, but I will say that there are those posters on these forums that are good EU debating, and those that aren't. And myself and MANY others are the ones that are good at debating EU.

And I think that you're bad at forms of the words your and you're. :p

Sorry, couldn't resist.

I am still failing to see how something good could come out of this. All it does is widen the gap between Star Wars fans. The widest gaps are formed by Basher/Gusher wars and Purist/Completist wars.

How is causing discord and separation among people united by a common enjoyment of Star Wars a good thing?

18. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    Darth-Seldon, your idea simply won't work. All these years of canon debates have gone nowhere. Nothing will change simply because you want it to.

19. Stackpole_The_Hobbit

Jul 31, 2002
    When it comes to canon, we are the main debators. There are other good debators, I'm sure, but we're the people that other people mention in posts.

And they are master debators :D

20. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003
    I am going to make a proboards site about the Canon Wars. Thanks Jp-30 I accept your challenge and will soon post a link.

21. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    I look forward to watching your glorious plan come to fruition Seldon, and for purists and EUers to skip, holding hands, merrily down the flower-lined lane, that will be your offshoot board.

22. jedi_master_ousley

Jun 14, 2002
    Off site canon wars? That's better. Keep them off the JC. The population here is too large and people's opinions are often swayed by what they see in such debates. I still don't like canon wars, but I'd rather them be on a small, little heard of board than on a place like the JC.

23. Old_Brown_Shoe

Old_Brown_Shoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 23, 2001
    All I can say is "Welcome to Hell." ;) Trust me on this :)

Best of luck, though. Your experiment has been tried before, but it degenerated from an openly one-sided purist board, that still had room for discussion on both sides, to an openly hostile purist board.

24. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Go for it, Seldon.

25. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    Yeah, go for it. There's apparently no way we can convince you it won't work, so it's best if you figure that out for yourself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.