Can't decide what to do.

Discussion in 'Games' started by DarthGunray, Jul 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthGunray Jedi Master

star 3
    Hey,

I just finished playing through just about all of my Star Wars video games, and I want to get a new one. I was thinking about picking up a GBA and AOTC for it. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Oh, has anyone played AOTC yet? I read a lot of good reviews and a few poor ones. How is it? Thanks again!

List of SW games:
    Super Star Wars
    Super ESB
    Super ROTJ
    Starfighter
    TPM
    EpI Racer
    Dark Forces
    JK
    MOTS
    JO
    Jedi Power Battles
  2. trav571 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Get a game boy advanced its awsome and aotc is great too.
  3. Sithman Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    What system will you be playing this game on? PC? GameCube? PS2? X-Box?
  4. Obi_Wan_01 Force Ghost

star 5
    Try and get Star Wars Demolition
    I never played it though...
  5. DarthGunray Jedi Master

star 3
    To answer your question Sithy, it could be for PS2, PC, PSX or GBA (if I get one). I hope I avoid confusion.
  6. trav571 Jedi Knight

star 1
    aotc is only on gba
  7. SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer

star 5
    Well, maybe it's not worth throwing all your money off in the direction of a Game Boy Advance JUST to buy AOTC, believe me, that would be a foolish juncture, if you are going to get a GBA, see if there are any other titles of merit that you would fancy purhasing, Golden Sun? Mario Advance 2? Sonic? pretty long list. Anyway, AOTC is nothing special, if you ask me, any game that takes less than 3 months to make is in no way worth buying and THQ are always trying to jump the queue and race their games on to the shelves.

I suggest looking at PC titles, Rebellion perhaps, which is pretty cheap now, it's nothing spectacular but it's got MP support and could keep you occupied for hours.

If you liked Starfighter, why not consider buying in on the X-Wing series, which IMO is just as good, Tie Fighter, the second game of the series being one of the best rated games ever with a large number of flyboys thinking it's the best space sim ever.
    There's X-Wing, Tie Fighter, X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter and Alliance, all of which superb.

Force Commander and Galactic Battlegrounds are always worth a mention, both of which being exceptional strategy titles. (Although if you ask me, Force Commander is the best, as for Galactic Battlegrounds, they should have called it 'Age of Empires Strikes Back')

Why not have a look at some really old titles, Monkey Island, Day of the Tentacle, Sam and Max and Grim Fandango are always worth a laugh, all of which fantastic titles, perhaps some are well past their sell by date, but they are 'vintage' gaming if you ask me, and Grim Fandango especially, it's one of my Fave titles ever.

Try some diversity, and please, don't limit yourself to Star Wars games, especially since the latest LucasArts offerings have been, lets say... a load of shiRt.
  8. jp-30 Manager Emeritus

star 9
    I'd recommend you go to jediknightii.ned and dl some free mods (new single player levels) for Jedi Outcast.

SoloCommand. What new LEC games are crap, exactly? :confused:

9. Sithman Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    He never said they were crap. He said they were a mixture of polyester and cotton shaped like a T.

Don't be putting words in his mouth.
  10. SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer

star 5
    Recently, you the fine polyester products such as The Phantom Menace, Obi Wan, Demolition and Jedi Power Battles?

Raven make Jedi Outcast,
    Totally Games make X-Wing Alliance,
    Anything else ends up as a T shaped Summer Dress Article.

At least most of it.

eep.
  11. jp-30 Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Your definition of "recent" and mine differ somewhat.

And I don't buy into ignoring the games made by LEC development partners. They're still produced and storyboarded and creatively-controlled bt LEC, and they're programmed using 3rd party development teams and proven engines.

Totally Games was involved in XWA all those years ago too.

12. SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer

star 5
    Ok, name 3 games that LucasArts made on their own that was good in the past 12 months.

I can only think of Galactic Battlegrounds and that was only average.

LA don't cut it no more. They can talk the talk but they just can't walk the walk.

And you can quote me on that.
  13. Vezner Force Ghost

star 5
    Dude Battlegrounds was actually made my Ensemble. Haven't you ever seen the AOE games? It's the same freaking game.

Lucasarts doesn't make too many of their own games any more. I have no problem with that as long as they work with skilled developers like Raven. Those guys did wonders with Jedi Outcast.
  14. SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer

star 5
    Oh well, that means zero.

I need to get with the times... again.

But... off the top of my head, the last few games LA made individually went to pot.

Dude Battlegrounds was actually made my Ensemble. Haven't you ever seen the AOE games? It's the same freaking game.

I thought they only used the engine, silly me, anyway, I say again, 'Age of Empires Strikes Back'.
  15. jp-30 Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Ok, name 3 games that LucasArts made on their own that was good in the past 12 months.

All the recent games look fine.

Jedi Starfighter
    Battlegrounds
    Rogue Leader
    Jedi Outcast
    Racer Revenge

Whether Lucasarts has used development partners and proven engines is totally irrelevant.

The upcoming games look even better.

Yes, thewre were dark times at LEC - (Demolition, Force Commander, Infernal Machine, Phantom Menace). But we're talking 2 years back here.

And yes, Obi-Wan was a disaster, but that was a salvage job from an aborted PC game, dumbed down for console.
  16. Terra Jedi Master

star 4
    Demolition is terrible...avoid it like the plague!!
  17. Emperor_Dan Jedi Master

star 4
    There's always this year's release to look foward to!
  18. SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer

star 5
    JP is right, maybe it's just time frames I need working on...

Recent... (commits to memory).
  19. Sithman Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    I just got Starfighter for my b-day and I love it! :) Also, Outcast is awesome. Those are 2 recent games I can personally vouch for. :)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.