main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

cant......do it

Discussion in 'Literature' started by slimybug, Sep 21, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slimybug

slimybug Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 14, 2001
    They even made SOTE action Figures when i was 7, Never read the book then but i knew alot about it, I thought theres Xizor, a time bomber and some blond girl.

2. LoveisSuicideSP

LoveisSuicideSP Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 23, 2001
    Yeah. I had a Dash Rendar action figure many years before i knew what Shadows of the Empire was.

3. Balance_Point

Balance_Point Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 10, 2001
    Shadows of the Empire was and is one of my favorite Star Wars books. For me it was a breeze to get through; it was fun and fast-paced, and there weren't any parts that dragged.

Rogue Planet, though... well, I got the hardcover way back when it first came out... and I still haven't gotten around to finishing it. I swear, absolutely nothing happens in that book! They're going to Zonama Sekot, then they're there and traveling around on the planet, then they're doing that some more, then they're still doing that... I found myself reading the same pages over and over because my mind kept wandering off. The only reason I struggled through as far as I did was to see where the Vergere plot thread ended up.

Aside from that book, though, I've still enjoyed pretty much every Star Wars book I've read, whether it took me a month or a week to complete.

4. Mayo_Solo

Mayo_Solo Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 9, 2001
    The only books that I couldn't finish was the Correllian triligy and Truce at Bakura.

BORING

5. DarthBinksApocalpyse

DarthBinksApocalpyse Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 27, 2001
    The only EU books that I enjoyed were the Han Solo Trilogy. Those were fairly good, at least I thought at the time.

6. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    It's somewhat odd that so many Canonists like the Han Solo Trilogy, when it uses so many EU elements it's not even funny. ;)

7. DarthBinksApocalpyse

Jul 27, 2001
    I'm not saying I like the books in that sense. I'm saying that it was the best out of them. Probably because it delves into the history of an actual character from the films.

8. DarthBinksApocalpyse

Jul 27, 2001
    By the way, I prefer to be called a Personwhobelievesthatthemoviesarethestory-ist instead of "Canonist". Such a dirty word....

:)

9. Sturm Antilles

Jun 22, 2000
    I myself don't like being labeled a gusher, when I simply love/like TPM but still recognize some if it's less-than-desirable qualities.

<<The closest SW book I've come to giving up entirely on was Vision of the Future. IMO, it's quite possibly the only SW novel without any redeeming qualities to it whatsoever. >>

As much as I like Zahn, those books could have been a little better, IMO. I really liked them the first time through, and then 2 weeks later I had a bad aftertaste after reading that duology. I can't definetively put my finger on what it was...I just didn't feel satisfied with the way everything was wrapped up. I did feel good after the Thrawn trilogy, though.

10. Galleon

Galleon Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 26, 2001
    I know exactly what you mean Sturm Antilles, I hate that feeling it bugs you for a while so you look through the book reading parts over, and then you finally read it again and something is still missing. That or it may just be me :)

11. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    I took me several tries each to get through the Lando Adventures, The BHW, and the second 2 of the COrellian trilogy.

All the others I finished on my first try, although I didn't much like Planet of Twilight or Crystal Star or Isard's Revenge. Rogue Planet was kind of dull but with enough little moments that it was okay. Oh yeah, and RUIN sucked.

I actually did enjoy CotJ. All the others I read and enjoyed.

12. LoveisSuicideSP

Apr 23, 2001
    I take back my earlier statement. Another book that i had to force myself to get through was The Last Command. That is one of the most dull and boring books i have ever read. Don't get me wrong, i loved HTTE and DFR, But The Last Command just dragged.....and dragged......and dragged.

13. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Sturm...
    "It's somewhat odd that so many Canonists like the Han Solo Trilogy, when it uses so many EU elements it's not even funny."

Hey now - we're all Canonists here. It just so happens that now there's Non-Movie Canonists and Movie-Canonists. :D

14. LoveisSuicideSP

Apr 23, 2001
    I may be hopeless, but what's a canonist?

15. Sturm Antilles

Jun 22, 2000
    Nazis.

"I hate these guys." - Indiana Jones.

16. peregrine

peregrine Jedi Master star 4

Nov 18, 2000
    LOL, Sturm!

A Canonist is a person who has limited himself/herself only to the 6 Star Wars movies and cannot or will not appreciate the Expanded Universe of SW. According to a canonist, none of the events of novels, comics, games and short stories took place. Only what Lucas himself produced counts as Star Wars. Most of the canonists treat Lucas almost as if he's a god and bash EU whenever possible, not realizing that EU is also his creation.

17. AthyraFire

AthyraFire Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 28, 2001
    my list of books i had to struggle through or give up on:

-Rogue Planet (gave up)
    -the Han Solo trilogy (gave up on the first one)
    -Planet of Twilight (struggled)
    -Darksaber (struggled and moaned about plot repetition, but finally finished out of morbid curiosity)
    -the Black Fleet Crisis (the first EU novels i read...i struggled. it's a wonder i kept reading EU novels after that.)
    -didn't even attempt SOTE

18. wampa

wampa Jedi Master star 4

Jul 8, 1998
    Ones I had to struggle through :

- Children of the Jedi (I quit and went on to Darksaber, which is excellent by the way)
    - The Courtship of Princess Leia (Dathomir got boring really fast for me)
    - Rogue Planet (the ship-making part was boring)
    - The Truce at Bakura (after Leia's confrontation with Ani, it slowed down for me)
    - The Lando Calrissian Adventures (only the third one, the first two were riveting)
    - The Han Solo Adventures (just couldn't get into them)

19. slimybug

slimybug Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 14, 2001
    Interesting how everyone hates RP. Cononists need to wake up! its there its P-U-B-L-I-S-H-E-D. ITs Oficial, its there exept it. GEEZ!

U can just watch the movies , but like it or not they happened. If You dont like it DONT READ IT! U no there are some peple who think that the PT is EU!

20. Master_Halcyon

Master_Halcyon Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 10, 2001
    I got through Shadows easily but I missed alot of points and spent most of the time related the story to ESB and ROTJ. When I read it the second time I picked up alot more of the plot and actually found it an easy read. The only set of books I really disliked were some between Jedi Academy and Hand of Thrawn because they never put the heroes any situation where they had to succeed.

21. Sturm Antilles

Jun 22, 2000
    Only books I have ever struggled through ( during the first read )...

- Planet of Twilight ( Took 1 month )
    - The Mandalorian Armor ( Took about 10 days )
    - Tales of the Bounty Hunters ( Took a whopping 3 months )

Fastest read ever - Champions of the Force in 4 hours.

22. LoveisSuicideSP

Apr 23, 2001
    About the canonist thing. Hell, i think a lot of EU books are way better than episode 1.

23. Bunsonburner

Bunsonburner Jedi Youngling

Jul 31, 2001
    I loved Lando adventures...but I could almost not get through the Black Fleet trilogy...those really bored me to tears

24. Sturm Antilles

Jun 22, 2000
    That's odd. I thought that the BFC books were almost identical to the Lando adventures when it came to the plot of the Teljkon Vagabond. It reminded me of the pyramid on Rafa V.

25. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    I hate RP. A friend of mine thinks VP is boring beyond belief, and RP is exciting. I think the exact oppoisite is true.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.