main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Calgary Canvassing Interest for Trucefest II

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by SithatHeart, Apr 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SithatHeart

SithatHeart Jedi Youngling star 1

May 25, 2005
    Hi All -

I was thinking about throwing another Trucefest this year. For those who weren't around last year, it was a party for both the Calgary FanForce and the 501. It was the first 'official' meeting between the two groups and over 50 people attended.

It was a 'splashing' success (IMHO) and thanks to everyone who helped out with cash donations and manual labour. There was lots of work involved for those who volunteered because it was pouring rain and the basement flooded. People set up tents, BBQ'd burgers in the rain, hauled sandbags, mopped the basement, let the firefighters in the house, and when it was all over, helped rip-up and haul out wet carpet. And for that, I am forever in their debt. @};-

This year, I was thinking we could do something different and less monsoon-like. I thought that I might pony-up and rent a hall (and if there's flooding, it's someone else's problem). Also, I think we would have more people this year and a larger space might be better. That said, if I'm spending all my cash on the hall, I would need volunteers to bring food, drinks, cups, etc., as well as a set-up and clean-up crew. Would is anyone interested in helping out with this? I'd like to get a feel for the interest before I start trying to book something.

Cheers,
    SithatHeart / Michelle

2. Vadersmistress66

Vadersmistress66 Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 3, 2005
    I'm totally willing to help out w/ food and setting up and what ever else is required of me.

3. Dooks

Dooks Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 5, 2005
    Sounds like fun let me know how I can help had a blast last year.

4. PreludeRM

PreludeRM FanForce CR, & Fanforce Council Calgary, Alberta star 4

Oct 28, 2002
    I had a great time last year. I'll be there. Let me know what you need.

5. Starkiller77

Starkiller77 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 29, 2005
    I'd be willing to help out as well.

6. echosevin

echosevin Jedi Master star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    I'd be happy to help out any way I can :) Last year was A LOT of fun!

7. LEXIAL

LEXIAL Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 29, 2004
    [face_alien_1] I would help out too! Sounds like a lot of fun! Let us know what you need.

8. ravencrow666

ravencrow666 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 23, 2006
    i'm in... this sounds too cool i can do food baking or any artwork help with banners or what ever ..this sound like it would be alot of fun[face_skull] ]-} :D :cool:

9. Jedi_Ranger_007

Jedi_Ranger_007 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 15, 2004
    I would LOVE to go to something like this! I'd definatley volunteer to help setup (or some food), but I'd need plenty of notice to rearrange my work schedule. As some of you know, my "weekend" is actually right in the middle of the week (Wed. and Thurs.) and I live in Banff.

10. Vadersmistress66

Oct 3, 2005
    When were you thinking about having it? When did you guys have it last year? Should I bring an umbrella and wellington boots just in case?

11. whisperjedi

whisperjedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 19, 2005
  12. veritate

veritate Jedi Master star 2

Oct 25, 2004
    Vadersmistress,

Last year, I believe we held it on a Friday night in June, which also happened to coincide with the Spring Flooding Calgary experienced. :( We held it at Sith@heart's place (the same place where we had our Girls' Night).

You can read more about it on the planning discussion thread:

OLD THREAD: Friday, June 17, 2005 - Force members and 501

and on the confirmation thread:

OLD THREAD: Friday June 17, 2005 - All Jedi & Troops Report In!

As Sith@Heart mentioned, there were over 50 people crammed into the house, and, though it made for an INCREDIBLY fun party and a GREAT atmosphere in which to get to know each other, poor S@H's house simply won't accommodate the two groups this year, even IF we have a clear day, and the use of her beautiful back yard.

Umberella and Wellington boots won't be needed this year (we didn't even have them last year!), since it looks like the event will be somewhere else, where we could all fit indoors comfortably, and hopefully there is no flooding.

On that note, I'm looking forward to this event, and S@H, you can count on the Haggis' (Haggisii?) to help in any way you need. Just name it.

13. BFett333

BFett333 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 22, 2003
    Last year us 501st brought armor for show and tell....and try on....heheheh. Is there a "theme" this year?

14. SithatHeart

May 25, 2005
    Right now the theme is 'getting a liquor permit & funds for booze'. :p Unfortunately, BYOB functions are not permitted at community halls. If anyone is willing to make liquor or cash donations, it would really help (please let me know). Currently I'm looking at a $250 hall rental fee, an additional $250 damage deposit and a $25 liquor license fee. [And I suspect insurace is going to run another $250 as well] I'd like to avoid charging admission or making it a dry function, so if you could donate even a 6-pack, it would really help. If anyone is willing to risk making the financial outlay for alcohol, we can make it a cash bar (with any profits to the donor's favorite charity?).

And as our northern-based Fett suggested, if you've got a cool idea for a theme, let me know! We had some people bring video games last year, toys to show-off and costumes for people to try on. If you've got something neat you'd like to share, please tell me about it. Perhaps our lightsabre class would like to show off some of their stances? Perhaps some of our jedi would like to show us what their robes are like (and that they're just as hot as trooper armour)? Some of the prop masters may want to show off some work? Any other ideas?

I have a couple halls calling me back, so no date yet. I will post when I get one. But I've been thinking that in addition to clean-up, set-up, food, booze and cutlery donors, we may need the following as well:

Someone to bring/run a music system (I have a very old stereo to volunteer but if someone is willing to bring something better, it will be welcome);
    Decorations; and
    People to take shifts bartending (if you've always wanted to work the bar at the cantina, this may be your chance).

Let's make this year's Trucefest better than the last (although it will be hard to top 10 people mopping the floor in their bare feet and 2 hot firefighters).

15. veritate

veritate Jedi Master star 2

Oct 25, 2004
    This is an AWESOME idea! Even if we don't have a cash bar, I really think we should make this event some kind of a charitable thing... everyone has to bring a donation to the food bank, or a teddy bear for the Children's Hospital or something.

As far as the logistics of the bar thing goes, could we do the "donation" thing where we "BYOB" to YOU the day before, and then we have it all hauled to the hall the day of the event? Everyone puts their names on whatever they bring, and then the bartender's only job is to hand them what they brought?

Just a thought...

16. Jodo_Kast_Unleashed

Jodo_Kast_Unleashed Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 17, 2006
    You know you can count on me. I'll conduct a thorough Imperial Taste Test to ensure the alcohol is up to regulations.

17. ravencrow666

ravencrow666 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 23, 2006
    i don't know if anyone is into karaoke but i have3 a friend who runs it, but it is $450.00 for the night now i don't know if your are all into such things but if you are let me know ...

18. SithatHeart

May 25, 2005
    Thanks for the offer Ravencrow, but right now I'm trying to figure out how to come up with the liquor license, insurance and food/alcohol funds. I think we need to pay for those things before we start looking into extras like karaoke.

Anyone have any fund-raising ideas? I think we need to come up with about $700.

In the alternative... Is anyone willing to offer up their place? I think we could expect about 70 people. I'd help organize.

19. Talmerith

Talmerith Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 2, 2005
    Well I'm defiantly interested in attending this and I'm more then willing to help out in any way I can. Which is not so great in the money department but really good in the making good food and helping set up/clean up. My last job was mainly catering, so I have plenty of experience with that.

20. Vadersmistress66

Oct 3, 2005
    I have a suggestion, there are several campgrounds just outside of Calgary that have day use/picnic areas w/ fire pits and tables and whatnot. We could bring our own cocktails, it would be a lot cheaper then renting a hall, but not quite as comfortable. And we'd have to hope for good weather...anyway, just an idea. I'd offer up my place, but there is no way we're getting 30 people in there, much less 70.

21. Magpie Jen

Magpie Jen Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 19, 1999
    Good suggestion vadersmistress - I remember for some of my family reunions we used the group picnic area at Fish Creek Park. Though I imagine that any alcohol would have to be very low key - I don't know if it's allowed. For myself, I would prefer a place with a roof, but I would think it's worth looking into.

What about asking a restaurant if we can get a party room from one of them? I remember for one of my co-worker's retirement they used a room at... oh darnnit the name just left me as I started to type... that lounge-y place at Mount Royal. I want to say Melrose, but I don't think it was. Anyway, they even re-named the cocktail list in honour of stuff about her.

Does anybody know a church or community center or some place that would have a hall we could use for cheap and maybe aren't as particular about the BYOB thing? I continue to rack my brains.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.