main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Caprica - Galactica Prequel Is A Go(ner)!

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Ulkesh2, Mar 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Which part- Syfy NOT delaying a BSG-related series for as long as they can, or teaming said series with a Gate series? ;)

2. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    October in what year? :)

3. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    Is it just me, or are the new ads for the new season have the following subtext:

"Forget what you may have heard about this showing being different from BSG or covering new ground...this show is about Cylons and war...we know you like that, so come watch Caprica...it's the BSG you love!"

:p

4. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Except I got really tired of BSG for that very reason [face_plain]

I must've missed the season premiere, but Vergis took over Graystone Industries and Daniel has grown a Beard of Sorrow and gotten into bed with a rival Tauron mafioso?

5. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Uh, yeah basically. That and Amanda Greystone is still alive.

6. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Sooooo...who else thinks that Clarice will convert Amanda to monotheism?

7. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    I don't know. That's a pretty big step. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I don't think she will- though I could see her doing it following Zoe's path. But Amanda still blames Clarice for Zoe's death so I don't see Amanda putting that aside, unless some kind of evidence arises to prove Zoe's innocence.

9. Radical_Edward

Radical_Edward Jedi Youngling star 3

May 2, 2002
    As a die-hard BSG fan, I'm really not liking this show. I can't find any aspect of it that measures up to the predecessor, and so much of Caprica is just...weak. Weak and tiresome. It also feels like the writers don't know what they're doing, don't have any plan for where to take the story, and are just flailing around with their characters hoping something will stick. Vergiss' death exemplifies this to the extreme. His serious involvement in the story just began a few episodes ago. Now they undo all that they've developed for him, and kill off his character to boot. Honestly, it's pathetic.

New Cap City has also become dull as dishwater (and it looks like dishwater, too) It's an albatross around the show's neck. That setting should have been dumped already. I don't think I'd have any reason to continue watching this show if it didn't happen to come on in that empty hour between SGU and King of the Hill.

On a completely different note, the sequence with Zoe in the pyramid court was surprisingly graphic. I'm a little amazed that that made it through the censors. Considering that the rather tame fight between Kara and Six in the museum caused a virtual meltdown with the fun police, and made any sort of fake-blood makeup all but verboten on the sci-fi channel after that, how on earth did they get the shooting, gang-beating, and extensive makeup effects onto the screen?

10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
  11. Likewater

Likewater Jedi Master star 4

Dec 31, 2009
    I don't think the writers "Don't know what they are doing". Virjis is a minor character, There is are minor paralles with Zoe/Tamara and Daniel/Virjis. But in the end, Virjis is basicly a fake boss as seen in the Final Fantasy Series, But dose get the story going.

Verjis mass produces the cylon models, While Daniel and his focus on Zoe A might have gotten around to doing it, the primary drive of his character is his obsession over Zoe.

Caprica is diffrent From BSG, they are only superficaly similar, but they are both good shows but it is made quite clare if you want space opera this is not that type of show.

12. Obey Wann

Obey Wann Former RMFF CR & SW Region RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 14, 2000
    Caprica has totally lost me. It's way to slow and drama-ish. I'd prefer action, and the new Blood and Chrome should do just fine.

13. TheRedBlade

TheRedBlade Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 17, 2007
  14. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    So say we all. I loved that the very first time we saw a Cylon used for anything was to act as the gunman in a mob hit. I also like the fact that we got a glimpse of Colonial society before the fall of the Colonies.

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I am dissapointed to hear it, but it's not entirely unexpected. It's a shame- there was something very unique there. I am surprised that they're yanking the last 5 episodes off the air.

What really killed the show was breaking up the 1st season, trying to BSG Season 4-it into almost a year apart. If the episodes airing now had aired 6 months ago, the show might have built the audience Syfy wanted. Now, in even 3 parts, it's worse.

16. Obey Wann

Obey Wann Former RMFF CR & SW Region RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 14, 2000
    Hopefully they remember that with Blood and Chrome. The 9-month and year long waits between seasons, and half-seasons are just too bloody long. It lost a lot of BSG fans, and pissed off the rest who did try to keep interest.

17. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    Hmmm this news dosent really upset me at all. Ive been less and less interested in this show since it is back on after SGU. The only things I really like are the mob scences and the holoband world with the deadwalkers.

18. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I could've done without the Matrix-like virtual reality subplot, but overall I liked it. I loved that Caprica was a very "quiet" show compared to BSG. Shame it couldn't have gotten at least one more season, but I guess that's what happens when the material isn't "SyFy"-enough for the network.

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    If Caprica had had more episodes like last week's, it would have been a much better series. Cylon protoypes carrying out mob hits? Fracking awesome.

I think if they had condensed the current arc to have happened earlier in the series, it would have given it some great drive. Imagine if Virgis had taken over Greystone within an episode or two of the pilot, and the last few episodes had finished out the first half of the season? Would have been much more tighter.

20. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    Yes I can that 2nd.

Lets just hope they learn from these mistakes if Blood and Chrome is actually picked up for a series...

21. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    I think it was an interesting experiment. A dramatic sci-fi show that is more an every day life kind of family drama. It builds the world more than it gives you the kind of fare you'd expect from a show related to BSG. I mean, it could almost be any other genre with the exception of the creation of the Cylons. So it serves well as an origin story for the Cylons, and a hint as to where they got their monotheism from and ultimately the drive to imitate humanity(though I thought that was already explained in BSG, oddly) with skinjobs.

Either way, I do hope Blood & Chrome is more action packed than BSG, let alone Caprica. We at least know we'll have a grown Willy Adama flying a Viper right? On Galactica? I sure hope so.

22. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    Well, I just finished watching the entire Caprica series on DVD (Seasons 1.0 & 1.5) for the very first time. I am amazed at this show. It is, quite simply, brilliant.

Here's my review/comments on this series. Note there are Heavy SPOILERS below - I say this especially because I know there are probably people out there who haven't seen the last five episodes yet:

PILOT

- Though I had already seen the pilot on DVD back in Spring 2009, it had been a while so I watched it again. Great pilot, & one of the better first episodes to a TV show I've ever seen. I liked how it introduced us to a world that was both familiar & different, i.e. the hats many of the men wore (1950's-ish), but with obvious advanced technology. The scene when the train blew up was shocking and unexpected, and was the catalyst for the events in the rest of the series.

SERIES

- This is an amazingly nuanced series - very fully realized, and with a lot of very obvious paralleles to the contemporary world. Even though it's a prequel to BG, it actually is a completely different type of show, in every way. IMHO, it has elements of the films Eastern Promises & The Matrix, and also the great HBO TV dramas The Sopranos & Rome; all while being wholly original, however.

- I really enjoyed the introductory sequence to each episode - excellent, and this really encapsulated the series to a good extent; i.e., the scene with Daniel Graystone looking at the Cylon walking & then becoming Zoe, the scene with Joseph Adama at the grave of his wife & daughter, etc. Too many recent TV shows don't have any kind of elaborate intros. at all, so it was nice to see this here.

- The virtual world sequences were superb - the hard white light that most of these scenes were filmed in distinguished them from the rest of the show, and the action/effects scenes here were incredible. I especially liked the look of the damaged, dangerous Cap. City - very cool.

- Like all good dramas, there were a lot of twists & turns, and the show was rarely predictable. I was shocked at the scene when Tomas Vergis forced Daniel Graystone to eliminate him; also quite unexpected was the scene when Sam Adama used the Cylon to take out the Tauron gun runners.

- The "bird's eye" view of Caprica at various points in the series was great - great urban scenery, with a futuristic vibe.

- The final episode was incredible, especially the last 1-2 minutes. The scene when Clarice Willow was preaching to those Cylons in the church (in the virtual world) was quite chilling, and was a foreshadowing of what was to come. The final scene of Daniel and Amanda helping the 'skin job' Zoe out of the vat was fantastic, and a great way to end the series.

- I have to say it's a darn shame that this series got cancelled, especially since there are some many other inferior, less deserving shows that last for years. Though the last episode of Caprica obviously tried to wrap everything up, this show had an amazing amount of potential and I would like to have seen what they had planned for the future. If the show had done well in the ratings I wonder if they would have continued with the stories of Graystone & Adama, or would they have fast-forwarded 10-15 years in the future?! Interesting to speculate. And, there are still a lot of unanswered quesstions - for example, how did Cylons get to the point where they're internally indistinguishable from humans, and can even become pregnant like humans (as we saw on BG)?

Side Note 1: While watching the series, I was always under the impression that young Willie Adama was actually the Bill Adama we saw on BG -however, he seemed too old to be this character (i.e., if he was 13 years old 58 years before the events in BG, that means Bill Adama would have been 71 in BG, and he didn't look that old). But, the events in the last two episodes made it obvious that Willie Adama was not the Bill Adama we see on BG, which makes a lot more sense.

Side Note 2: As someone who watches TV shows exclus

23. Sith_Lords

Sith_Lords Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 17, 2004
    (Shameless shortened, and, reposted from my post on another site) Did Caprica really deserve early cancellation? Considering its last few episodes - no. They really showed what a great show can be, and more than make up for a pretty lax first half of a season. Caprica ultimately turned out to be a perfect prequel for Battlestar, the last few minutes, the montage of what was to come, was perfectly executed. A great show, its a shame to see it end.

24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The last five episodes really were fantastic- if the show had not been so dull early on, this would have easily made it to a second season. If Episode 13 had been Episode 6 or 7, we'd be cooking.

That epilogue was, at least, very satisfying and forms a good conclusion to the series. You get the impression they knew the series didn't have a chance and made sure to use those final five minutes as closure and set-up.

25. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    I felt that "things to come part" was pretty much just tacked on there at the end. They found it was curtains for them and that's what they did to wrap it all up. I have no doubt there would have been a lengthy plot of Lacey becoming Holy Mother on Gemenon and their general take over of the STO and monotheist church with the Cylons, Clarice's inclusion in that but in a significantly chastened and subordinate role as well as the decision to have a misanthropic message of monotheism to the Cylons. As well as the growing numbers of Cylons in the Colonies etc etc.

Somehow Zoe would have ended up talking to Lacey in some way, not sure how her relationship with Daniel and Amanda would have panned out. She no doubt believes strongly in the One and she's the first skinjob, so what does that mean for Daniel and Amanda? Conversion? I'd have liked to see that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.