main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Chic, IL CapriCon Volunteer Thread

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by JediAutobot, Nov 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediAutobot

JediAutobot Jedi Master star 4

Dec 3, 2000
    Calling all Chicago Forcers!
    Chicago Force will be running the ConSuite at Capricon (www.capricon.org) this year. For those that have never attended a Capricon, a ConSuite is a gathering place for con goers that serves food, drinks and snacks. Capricon is a four day event,and we are looking for volunteers in our efforts to throw a great ConSuite.
    > The con takes place from Jan 29, 2004 to Feb 1st, 2004 in Arlington Heights at the Sheraton hotel. We will be setting up Wednesday the January 28th and tear down will be on Sunday.
    We will have a lot of areas to cover that weekend to bring this all together which will include:
    Food Preparation
    Food Serving
    Clean-up/Set-up
    Special ConSuite Events
    Meal Delivery for Vendors
    General Gophering
    And More That We Haven't Thought of Yet

In addition we are looking for volunteers that can help in advance, which include
    Set Construction
    Food Contacts
    Transportation
    And More That We Haven't Thought of Yet

Volunteers during the con must be a con attendee, so you must plan to get a badge. Tweleve hours of time qualifies for a reimbursment of badge price.
    Right now I am looking to see who is interested in helping out, and in what
    area your interest lies. Do you have your own Cotton Candy machine, let us know. Do you have a burning desire to help make sandwiches during the con, let us know. And when I say let us know, I mean let ME know. So please email me at jediautobot@chicagoforce.org if you would like to contribute your time and effort to this event.

2. Bobafemme

Bobafemme FF Jedi Council Member, Chicago IL RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 25, 2000
    I'll let you know alright.

3. Schph_Gochi

Schph_Gochi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2002
    ....and remind me to talk to you about it Sunday at the Black Sun Syndicate meeting....

we do have a tendency to get carried away on our "toys"...but will have to leave some time for Capricon discussion....

4. JediAutobot

Dec 3, 2000
    D'oh!

I just realized I forgot capricon's website, which has now been added.

5. flippingyodacola

flippingyodacola Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 27, 2003
    Me and my dad might be able to put in some volenteer time, but we might not be able to come too early on thursday because thats one of my finals days, but Friday I have off. So more then likely we will be there.

6. Hawk-Bat

Hawk-Bat Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 4, 2003
    I might be able to help i just have questions on like the party or what ever and like everyone stayed at the hotel last year i mean what would i do worst come to worst i could stay at my cousins that is AH to but i would perfer not to go there.

7. flippingyodacola

Oct 27, 2003
    dude, learn how to use periods. that made no sense.

8. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    Dude, learn how to capitalize; it will make more sense.

9. JediAutobot

Dec 3, 2000
    Dudes, chill.

:D

So anyway, it should be lots of fun.

10. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    Carrie...

Oh, phooey, I can't be mean to Carrie! :p She's so nice and she buys me ARC Troopers with white clones. :D

11. JediAutobot

Dec 3, 2000
    Shhh. I don't want it getting it around that I am nice.

I'm evil, really, you can see it in my eyes. :D

12. JediAutobot

Dec 3, 2000
    Okay, it only took 6 posts before the thread got off track. So let me try to steer it back.

We are also interested in decorators for decorating before the con. If you do not have mad decorating skillz, we are still looking for your computer junk. Yes any junk that looks techie. Cables, keyboards, circuits, whatever. But be aware, this is a permanment, stuff go bye-bye thing. This stuff will be glued/painted/scraped and generally no longer usuable in pursuit of that techno look for Bespin. So if you cannot contribute time, you can contribute stuff.

13. Schph_Gochi

Schph_Gochi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2002
    I will search my Warranty scrap stuff....(that is Chrysler Warranty car parts)...you would be amazed at what kinds of technology go into cars these days....if you guys get together before the Con to work on the "set decoration"....make sure to pm or e-mail me....perhaps I can help with that....

I can also provide some $ for food....

we never got on track to talk about Volunteer time at the Black Sun meeting...no surprise there....when you get a room full of toy junkies....

but the annoucement that you need "tech" stuff is a step....something I can do now....

I will have to go over my schedule and see what time I have...I have a bad feeling that Sunday of the Con is all that I am going to have....bummer....

14. JediAutobot

Dec 3, 2000
    There will be a decorating meeting held this upcoming Sunday. This is intended mostly as a planning meeting for decorating, figuring out how to do things, who can do them and when, and maybe sending projects home with people. If a pickup truck/mini-van appears, a trip to Home Depot will be included to do some of the big item shopping. If not, there might be a small trip for smaller items. Please email our design mistress blackrosegeneral@hotmail.com if you are interested in attending or have some ideas to give.

15. flippingyodacola

Oct 27, 2003
    um, How about I just pass out food then? I really dont care, but I don't have that much time to put into this other then the day of the convention.

16. JediAutobot

Dec 3, 2000
    That is not a problem, it's just that some people won't have time to help when the convention is going on. There is plenty of stuff to go around, don't feel like you have to help out in every facet of the con to make a contribution. Every helping hand counts.

17. JodoKast74

JodoKast74 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 10, 2001
    I'll be there for set-up and take-down, with a possibility to party a bit on that Saturday.

18. TheExecutor

TheExecutor Jedi Master star 3

Nov 8, 2002
    I would love to volunteer my time with this endeavor. I will defiantly help with Food Contacts, Food Preparation, and set-up of the con-suite.

19. Amber_eyes

Amber_eyes Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 22, 2001
    I'll check to see if my ex left anything stored around the house from his old ham radios. If so, it is soooo out of here!!!!!

20. Bobafemme

Bobafemme FF Jedi Council Member, Chicago IL RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 25, 2000
    I'm sure the ham has gone bad by now. Probably green and fuzzy if any traces are to be found.

I'll be at the planning thingy Sunday.

21. Amber_eyes

Oct 22, 2001
    That ham went bad a long time ago, which is why he's my ex.

22. flippingyodacola

Oct 27, 2003
    Does SithMan hate me? Or is it just his way of being nice?

23. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
  24. DarthJurist

DarthJurist Admin Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 10, 2000
    On the Food front:

We?re still getting info together on what we?ll be serving, but we definitely need help on the following front:

Food: Looking for contacts:
    Chips/ Pretzels
    Soda (cans only): Anyone have any contacts with distributors? Both Coke and Pepsi
    Popcorn
    Ice Cream
    Salsa
    Any other food suggestions???

Equipment:
    Crock pots ? any size, but larger ones preferred.
    Hot plates
    Fondu pots.
    Microwaves
    Small refrigerators.
    Plates/cups/napkins
    Cotton Candy Machine
    Snow Cone machine

The equipment would be needed Wednesday through Sunday afternoon.

25. Amber_eyes

Oct 22, 2001
    My crock pot is at your beck & call.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.