Chic, IL CapriCon Volunteer Thread

Discussion in 'Mid West Regional Discussion' started by JediAutobot, Nov 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthShauna Jedi Youngling

OMG-- a 4th posting!

I'm also wondering if anyone has skill or ability working with DVDs and digital video editing. I have some DVDs that I'm trying to rip into AVI or MPG format in order to edit them for little cut scenes during the convention, however, I am having difficulty doing this. I have done it before for anime music videos, but these dvds don't seem to want to open in my video editor (Sonic Foundry's Screenblast).

Let me know if you have expertise in doing this, and I will be hugely grateful. I can do the actual video editing very easily, it's just getting it into a format I can work with that's driving me up the wall.

Please email me (blackrosegeneral@hotmail.com) since I really rarely read the boards, and I'm morally limited to only 1 post a year :p

Thanks!
  2. JediAutobot Jedi Master

star 4
    Shauna has spoken! All hail Shauna, mistress of decorating and other Sithly stuff.

Further updates:

Sunday the 11th is the big building finale at boshtalk's (we hope, gulp!) There is always room for one more. Note that this is scheduled to start at 10 am to take advantage of the limited amount of warmth we'll be able to get from the sun, so that we don't have to work much past dark.

There are two decorating workshops scheduled for wed. the 14th and the 21st. Let Shaunae know if you're available to come by and build things or cut things while watching tv and drinking warm cocoa.

There will be another big workshop at Shauna's on Sat the 17th. The 18th will be some transporting of stuff from northside Chicago to northwest suburbs.

The final push is the 24th and 25th, where any final cutting, construction, and painting must take place.

Then tis the day, Jan 28! Then the real fun starts as we get the room set up and the food set up. Don't forget, if you contribute 12 hours of volunteer time during the con, the price of your badge will be refunded after the con.
  3. Hawk-Bat Jedi Padawan

star 4
    I hope to work i have no idea yet if im working stupid Target. Anywho is there something we have to fill out if we are Volentieering or anything sorry i have been so out of it recently school is just nuts.
  4. JediAutobot Jedi Master

star 4
    And I'm sorry it took me so long to reply. But reply I shall.

Capricon is Starting Soon! Yep, mere weeks seperate us and the con. While we have been focusing on the actual prep for the con lately, don't forget that we are looking for volunteers during con hours. So what I'm looking for is some info from you guys. Specifically, seeing who's available when. Attending the con? Want to get your full badge price back? Then volunteer for 12 hours to be reimbursed! Attending the con? Want to go to panels and stuff? Volunteer during one of our two hour shifts! Not attending the con? Sorry, that is not an option. :p It's going to be fun, it's going to be our biggest (and best) decorating effort ever! So email me with your availability, and I'll put you on the schedule.

Trying to fix the smiley
  5. flippingyodacola Jedi Youngling

star 2
    Yea.. Er.. Im sorry I haven't been there either. I think.. Er.. Yea. We will be at the Con. Im so sorry!
  6. JediAutobot Jedi Master

star 4
    Don't be sorry for being at the con. :)

Just sitting here at work, scraping the paint off underneath my nails. Another good workshop, plenty got done, still plenty to go.
    We did some premilinary layouts, to get an idea on how things would look. It's going to be awesome, truely awesome.
  7. Hawk-Bat Jedi Padawan

star 4
    well let me know i think i can work any of the days or maybe all since im gonna be done with work at target this saturady.
  8. DarthJurist Admin Emeritus

star 5
    Enough with these stinkin' decorating events, I'm happy to announce an upcoming food planning event!

On Sunday, January 18, 2004, we will have a caravan/shopping day. Events/Schedule is as follows:

10 am: Meet at Heather's apartment to load cars with soda and other things (cereal, refrigerators, etc). (Some cars will also head to Shauna's to pick up decorating stuff that's ready to go.)

Noonish: Arrive at Mark's house in Arlington Heights (or thereabouts) to unload the cars, and then head to Sam's club to do some shopping. Finally, we'll head back to Mark's place to unload from the Sam's club shopping trip.

We should be done around 2 pm, in time for people to drive down for the collector's club meeting. And unlike decorating, you'll stay nice and warm and won't need to do any heavy lifting. ;)

We currently have three vehicles, but could use one or two more to transport more decorating stuff. If you can only make the morning, that's cool too, you should be done by noon at the very latest.

On a side note, if you are unable to help me on the 18th because you don't have a car or don't want to drive, Shauna is having yet another (another!) decorating workshop at her place.

Thanks everyone!

~H~
  9. Schph_Gochi Jedi Padawan

star 4
    ...sigh...I will be burning brush piles out on the prairie on Sunday otherwise I would be there...

will be missing the collector's meeting too....first one that I will miss....
    :(
  10. Hawk-Bat Jedi Padawan

star 4
    hmm I wonder if rogue is going if you are can you let me know if we can carpool down I don't want to drive the van anywhere, now since I have to conserve the tires till the new ones come in.
  11. ThomSolo Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Mark lives in Streamwood, not Arlington Heights... ;)

I will proceed as if I supposed to be at Mark's place at 9am, so that I'll actually show up around 10.
  12. JediAutobot Jedi Master

star 4
    It was cold, it was icy, it was a ton of pop. I'm quite proud of the job we did yesterday. A big round of applause out to Heather, Robyn, Matt, Ginna, Laura, Chris and Gina. (Special mention to Shauana, Steve, Mark and Martha too.)
    We got a ton of things acomplished. We had some hot chocatlate, we marvelled at Liam's cuteness, played tug-o-way with Charlie. Okay, we also hauled a ton of pop, when up and down an outside staircase down into an icy sheet abyss, tried to figure out how to transport 8'x4' foam sheets without cracking them, moved our cars/vans back and forth so people could get out of their lot, and Thom was late. :p But lets focus on the positive, everyone survived the day and Laura, Chris, Gina and I were only a little late to Collect Club.
  13. DarthJurist Admin Emeritus

star 5
    Yes, yes, yes, thank you so much to everyone, we got a ton done. :D

And super thanks to Caroline for driving me all over the North and West suburbs today. We got all our deli meats and cheeses ordered, picked up some supplies for the chocolate fondue and got cellophane for the carbon chamber.

~H~
  14. Schph_Gochi Jedi Padawan

star 4
    wow Carrie...
    I feel like a slug....
    all I had to do on Saturday was cut/burn foam pieces into "fun" shapes at Shauna's...and I got to do that indoors....

course ...I paid for it out on the prairie on Sunday....
  15. Hawk-Bat Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Oh it was so cold! And that was a lot of pop. But we had fun and good hot coccoo at the end so i guess it all made up for the freezing weather.
  16. JediAutobot Jedi Master

star 4
    New weekend update:
    This weekend is a construct-o-ramma. Shauna's doors will be open both Sat and Sun. This is the final big push to get things done, and thanks to last Sat's crew hard work, and Sunday's crew of getting things hauled out of Shauna's, there is enough room to do this. Yes, all is proceeding as we have forseen, but there is still some work left to do. So any time you can contribute on either day would be greatly appreciated. And just in case you forgot/lost/never wrote it down in the first place, please contact Shauna at blackrosegeneral@hotmail.com if you can attend.
  17. flippingyodacola Jedi Youngling

star 2
    Im sorry I haven't been going to all the things that you have been doing.
    My Father and I can definately volunteer.
    Do we need to bring anything?
  18. Hawk-Bat Jedi Padawan

star 4
    I think I will be good to go for everyday. And is there a charge for parking.
  19. JediAutobot Jedi Master

star 4
    Wait Hawk-Bat, what are you taking about parking? If you are talking about the hotel, there is no parking fees, you just drive up and park. Bam, done.

If you are coming to a workshop this weekend, please email Shauna at blackrosegeneral@hotmail.com, she can give you directions. Since she does live on the northside, you may have to meter park.
  20. Hawk-Bat Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Sorry can't this weekend only book club then studying for finals sorry. And i have to check but I think i can work everyday of the con.
  21. flippingyodacola Jedi Youngling

star 2
    WOO!!! Con this weekend!!!!
  22. Hawk-Bat Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Yeah Cloud city yeeppeee Ice Cream man Pizza the hut! lol it is gonna be fun.
  23. TheExecutor Jedi Master

star 3
    I will be making some walnut Gorgonzola Crustin I will also be bring a large cutting board and some knives and kitchen tools. Do I need to bring tools for anyone? Knife, Vegetable peeler let me know. The Heck with it I will bring a knife Bag and some tools.
  24. Hawk-Bat Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Oh my word to finaly get to try the wonderful food that the master Chef makes.
  25. flippingyodacola Jedi Youngling

star 2
    ok, Im gonna make those darn brownies again. They are very very delicious!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.