main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Chic, IL CapriCon Volunteer Thread

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by JediAutobot, Nov 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flippingyodacola

flippingyodacola Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 27, 2003
    My dads sick.. I cant make it...

2. Schph_Gochi

Schph_Gochi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2002
    hope your dad gets better....lot of sickness going around...

....and I will be home tonight cooking vegetarian chili, cleaning my chainsaw, getting equiptment together so I can be outside all day tomorrow freezing my *ss off cutting down black locust at a restoration workday....
    then putting together a pot luck for the volunteers...
    giving a slide show....
    then going home to collapse.....

enjoy the Con...stay warm....and take photos for those of us who will miss it...

3. flippingyodacola

Oct 27, 2003
  4. BroSuess

BroSuess Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 20, 2002
    HA!!! The Undercover Ice Cream Brother LIVES!!!

5. darthgoat

darthgoat Jedi Master star 4

Sep 6, 2001
    ice cream dude rocks!

6. DestinyFroste

DestinyFroste Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 6, 2002
    [color=660099]You rocked.

My pictures from Saturday are up:
    http://www.destinyfroste.addr.com/con/capri04.htm.[/color]

7. Sith_Steve

Sith_Steve Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 18, 2002
    Good photos, I like the the guns to the head photo. Did anyone get my luke skywalker strip show on camera?

You have very fashionable footwear; my I insert my photos into your webpage? :))

8. Hawk-Bat

Hawk-Bat Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 4, 2003
    Nice I can't wait to see al the others it was such a blast to be there and meet the QCJC guys also.

9. Schph_Gochi

Jun 17, 2002
    wow....the Carbon Freezing Chamber came out awesome!

and.....I gotta ask....

who was Lobot?

It looks like Bosh with his head shaved.....did Dave really shave his head? or are my tired eyes playing tricks on me?

10. DestinyFroste

Nov 6, 2002
    [color=660099]I thought someone got some pictures of the strip show but I was too busy being suprised to take real notice.

Yes, Lobot was Bosh and yes he shaved his head for it.[/color]

11. Amber_eyes

Amber_eyes Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 22, 2001
    I guess my crockpot wasn't needed then, nobody contacted me.

12. darthgoat

darthgoat Jedi Master star 4

Sep 6, 2001
    wow! i really look fueled by satan in that karaoke pic! awesome!

13. flippingyodacola

Oct 27, 2003
    Hehehe. Peaches missed out on Saturday. I got into every party that didn't card. It was alot of fun.

Nice photos Gina!!!!!

14. UluUlix

UluUlix Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 3, 2003
    Just wanted to say that the Con Suite was amazing!!!
    It was a pleasure meeting more members of the Chicago Force. Shauna-great job with everything. Did anyone get pictures of Hawk Bat stuck in that cart from Sunday?

Great meeting everybody.

Kent(QCJO)

15. DarthShauna

DarthShauna Jedi Youngling

Jun 4, 2001
    Hi guys,
    I just wanted to say, THANK YOU to everyone who helped. This event would not have been possible if not for the huge amount of effort before and during the con from all of our volunteers.

Special thanks to the quad city crew who not only made a spectacle of themselves in the middle of the carbon chamber to the applause and catcalls of the crowd , but also helped build the carbon chamber stairs, the ceiling, and Ice Cream Maker Guy's main prop (the ice cream maker). You'll be happy to know I have some video footage of the stint in the carbon chamber. Woohoo!

I can't thank you all enough for time and materials donated, injuries sustained, and sleep deprived. I think the reactions we got from the Capricon attendees, and the Capricon staff, made this well worth it. I don't think there was anyone who entered the room who wasn't wowed by the carbon chamber, nor was there anyone who entered the food side and left hungry. I've heard universal acclaim, incredulity, and awe on the food and decorations.

We really wowed them!

I'll be giving out awards for everyone who helped decorate and build....heheheh...This should be fun. Maybe I'll give them out at bowling.

-shauna

16. DarthJurist

DarthJurist Admin Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 10, 2000
    Stick a fork in us, we?re done.

For those that haven?t been keeping score, we started set up in the wee hours of Wednesday morning loading the truck, picking up produce and other snacks, and heading up to the hotel. We opened in the afternoon on Thursday, and the official time of death (based upon when all the decorating stuff was packed into Dave?s garage) was about 11:30 pm on Sunday.

In a nutshell: We were awesome.

First off, a HUGE HUGE HUGE thank you to every one of you that helped out with this project, as Dave would say: we rocked the hiz-ouse. We got tons of positive feed back, both from the Committee and more importantly from regular con-goers. At the official feedback/gripe session there were many compliments and raves about the decorating, the fun events, and the variety, quality and quantity of food we provided. A personal thank you to everyone that did what I asked of them (even when they weren?t on duty). We all worked our eopie off (my feet will be paying me back for a while yet), but I think everyone had fun, and we had no major catastrophes or crisis. Everyone pulled together, and we got it done in grand style.

Some special thanks you?s from me - I know I've forgotten things, but here's a start:

Caroline ? For driving all over the Chicago land area on many occasions, showing up for decorating workshops, and being an all over awesome help in so many ways. Thanks for the food donations, constant support, and basically putting your life on hold for the past month and living in the consuite for the whole weekend (when you weren?t out driving around picking up things or people).

Carrie/Jedi Autobot ? For making many many phone calls, listening to people melt down, organizing volunteers, and allowing us to use and abuse ?The Mule? ? aka your car. The Mule hauled untold pounds of milk, soda, Capri Sun, soda, bread, and more soda this weekend, and will always have a fond place in my heart.

Dave/Bosh Talk ? One of the few that really worked both sides of the event, thanks for setting up various food events/contacts (produce, pizza, snacks) and also spending beaucoup time helping out in the decorating side. Dave also added to the overall theme by showing up as Lobot on Friday and Saturday night, and is currently storing all the decorations in his garage.

Phil/Mos Eislien Radio - For helping out in many many ways, from showing up at numerous decorating workshops to helping out all five days of the convention.

Matt/Dartha Stewart ? For willingly taking the evil morning shifts, and doing a great job of keeping everyone?s spirits up. Matt also built the Chicago Twin Towers of American Cheese (complete with carrot man trapped between), and making the Ice Cream Maker Guy Special a true ?event.? A special thanks to you and your folks for the use of their mini van.

Hazmatt ? For spending the whole weekend up to the top of your head in decorating tasks, and providing much needed help moving all said decorations.

Dinel/ Cotton Candy Queen ? Again for driving all over the place, many nights of decorating and freezing in Dave?s garage, and another person that basically lived in the consuite. Also thanks for that last minute trip to the Metra station when I forgot to make pickup arrangements. You made a truly fabulous Cloud City Cotton Candy Queen.

Erica/Bobafemme (and Jason/DarthGoat) ? aka ?The Soup Nazi?, for hosting the soup making workshop, showing up at other decorating workshops, beating the TVP into submission, and providing freezer space. I don?t remember if I told you, but people loved all the chicken soups and were impressed that it was home made. The TVP chili was also a huge hit, even with the non-veggie crowd. Also thanks for loaning the cooking equipment.

Robyn/Princess Vespa (my sister) ? My mini-me, for agreeing to do slave labor for three days without much resistance, and generally being the anal little workaholic I know and love. I owe you several large raspberry margaritas. Robyn was also on

17. Sith_Steve

Aug 18, 2002
    Don't for get

"You have very fashionable footwear, my I insert my (*&(*& into you."

"HHHHHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAEEEEEE"
    (Richie Laugh)

18. JediJeff13

JediJeff13 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    Don't I even get a "Screw you - thanks for showing up and doing absolutely nothing but dropping off pop and then leaving, Jeff, you b@stard you"?

That's it. I'm taking my toys and leaving. See you in Hell.

19. Hazmatt

Hazmatt Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 16, 2002
    Leave now, and never come back!

<looks around>

He's gone? He's really, really gone?

Yeah! <does Happy Dance>

Oh, for the rest of you, try this:
    1. Go to www.chicagoforce.org
    2. Click on "Events"
    3. Under '2004 Events', click on "Capricon Con Suite"
    4. Enjoy
    If you have any pictures that you would like me to post here, just send them to webmaster@chicagoforce.org.

I don't think I can add much to what has already been said, but I agree with the sentiments that have been shared. This has been a team effort if there ever was one, and I am just grateful we all survived. What are we going to do next year?

20. Schph_Gochi

Jun 17, 2002
    amazing job!
    Hazmatt...thanks for posting the photos so fast...I got to be a peeping Tom on the weekend activities...

and Shauna....AMAZING ....and I am sure that you are happy to have your apartment back....I could not believe all of the Bespin stuff that you managed to get in there....and I am sure your neighbors are pleased there is no more banging, sawing, and steady streams of tromping up and down the stairs....

.....sigh.....I am so ticked that I had to miss it.....it looked like such an awesome time....

21. DestinyFroste

Nov 6, 2002
    [color=660099]WOOHOO, MORE BUTT PICTURES!!!!!!

See...I knew someone got evidence of the strip show.[/color]

22. JodoKast74

JodoKast74 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 10, 2001
    I wish I could've helped out more but it was either stay home or come by and spread the stomach bug that the 3 of us were infected with.

But I did get to rub Dave's head so that was all I needed.

23. ChrisKenobi

ChrisKenobi Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 22, 2002
    I would love to get a copy of the video from the carbon freeze chamber.

24. Sith_Steve

Aug 18, 2002
    Con's are my drug, and I need more :)

25. flippingyodacola

Oct 27, 2003
    YOUR WELCOME!!! That was alot of fun!!!!! I WANT TO DO THE CONSUITE AGAIN!!! Ill be alot more help next time. I know what to expect now. I HAD ALOT OF FUN!!!!!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.