main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Chic, IL Capricon XXI

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Stardreamer, Dec 8, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediJeff13

JediJeff13 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    Go psycho???? Man - what kind of sys admin are you - don't you know S.O.P when the tech geek is upset it to lock pswds, move files, change the login script and fire off a program to eat up the server's CPU's utilization?

Let me just say that mav is NOT a standard representation of the time honored position of network administrator. Thanks - we go in peace.

2. Le_Penguin

Le_Penguin Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 26, 2000
    http://geekt.org/u/geekt/photos/full_1249.jpg

-Le Penguin
    "Their 'Flower Power' is no match for my 'Glower Power.' "

3. Xmaveric

Xmaveric Jedi Master star 5

Nov 25, 2000
    Jeff - You are assuming I haven't already done that?

Pengy - Thanks...that made my day :)

Now returning to a kinder, more gentler Maveric...

4. Empyre

Empyre Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 25, 2000
    It was great to finally meet some more of you but what were the results? Did we win or did one of the others?

5. Xmaveric

Nov 25, 2000
    YES! Capricon was such a blast!! Especially the Sunday breakfast, the gabes, the 80's music at 6AM, and the wonderful fire alarm. Those are some memories!!

6. Darth-WhoseyWhatsIt

Darth-WhoseyWhatsIt Jedi Youngling

Feb 12, 2001
    Best Party and Best Drink went to Dueling Blenders. We were second for Best Party, and received a special mention for best set decoration.

7. JediAutobot

JediAutobot Jedi Master star 4

Dec 3, 2000
    We were robbed! We should of won! We ruled!

It was still a very awesome time. 501st troopers, a very easy clean up, and watching people torment the Yoda Furby was great!

Oh, and a shout out to Young MC too.

8. JediJeff13

Nov 27, 2000
    NO TORMENTING MASTER YODA!!!!

9. JediAutobot

Dec 3, 2000
    Hahahahahaha! It's too late for that! It's to laaaaate!

10. Xmaveric

Nov 25, 2000
    I was Young MC for a day. Then it was all gone. Sigh.

11. JediJeff13

Nov 27, 2000
    Don't just stand there - bust a move.

12. JediLars

JediLars Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 27, 2000
    Any Pictures?

Jedilars

13. jedigal

jedigal Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 2000
    If you thought Yoda Furby was tortured at the party you should have heard him yelling at me from inside my duffel bag on the way home. He was pissed.

FUN, THIS IS NOT!

LEAVE ME ALONE YOU SHOULD NOT!

It took forever before the Jedi Master finally shut his trap and went to sleep.
    Then when we got home and I dumped the bag on the floor, Yoda started nagging again. My cats went nuts! Hey, Steph, there's something alive in there! Heh heh.
    ----------------

Are there pics? Of course. Thom and Erica both had cameras. Don't know if we'll see any from Erica but...

Thom got a scanner for Xmas, so he should be giving us a heads up on the pics. My hubby Matt was actually hoping Stardreamer took the film to 24 hour developing and would have them up on the web by the time we got back to St. Lou. What an optimist.
    ----------------

Here's one more thing for Thom to do. It would be great if every once in a while you would check out our topiary and see if it is still there, and then post a message for us about that.
    ---------------

As for being robbed on the votes, The Other White Matt found 10 votes NOT from our group members that were being kept at the bar, and we neglected to get them turned in. In addition to that, several of our members forgot to vote for ourselves or didn't get the votes in on time for the 2am deadline. So, really, we are group that SHOULD have won. So, for those who were at Capricon in 2000, what was the deadline for turning in votes that year?
    --------------

The con was great, I'll say more about it later, when I've got more time!

14. jedigal

Sep 21, 2000
    CapriCon in Review

Well, there is a LOT to say!

First of all it was really good to renew the acquantaince/friendship of all those I met previously at WindyCon! It was great to see everyone. It bummed me out enormously that Mara couldn't make it. It was also very cool how everyone welcomed my husband. He felt right at home. Well, more or less. Right at the part of our home where I have my SW stash, anyway.

Secondly, it was also very cool to meet in person those who I have seen online and on forum, especially Darth Jurist (everyone told me how cool you were and I finally got to confirm that), Empyre, XMaveric (who has been an excellent game host), and TK895 (I guess I was wrong, Stormtroopers CAN be cool).

Thirdly, for those who only made it to the con for a short time, or those who didn't make it at all - wish I could have seen more of ya! Or even met you in the first place! Hey Bob! What the heck happened to you? Stick your finger in a light socket?

I never actually made it a SINGLE panel or other con activity. Did cruise merchandising and got a couple cheesy things, and made the art show once, but it was early a lot of people didn't have their displays up yet, and I had wanted to bid on some things, but never got around to that either. Oh well, I guess I saved some money. Next con for me will probably be DragonCon, and hopefully I won't be involved in THROWING any parties, only going to them, so I'll get to do some con stuff.

Matt and I ate at Portillo's THREE times! Yum! Excellent stuff, I wish we had that at home in St. Lou!

Um... having the PolyAmory Chat in the room next door to ours was - less than lovely. Kind of frightening and creepy in fact. But live and let live.

Dagobah was completely excellent!!!!! Whatever the voting doesn't matter. We DID have the very coolest set, it looked so awesome! I heard TONS of people talking about it wherever I walked around. We have got it goin' ON! The only thing that really sucked was the fog machine not working out. Kudos to Matt, Heather and Dave for their hard work and great planning. And to me it was NO surprise how large the audience in our movie room was. After all, they are GREAT movies. Not just to us FAN'atics' but to everyone. I mean, who DOESN'T like Star Wars?

Wish I would have done the D.R. Maybe next time. The capital "L" Ladies, Thom and his 'b!t@h' Phil all looked terrific.

Most memorable moment goes to:
    The Marinara Incident
    Honorable mentions go to:
    Stormtroopers vs. the Borg - Ewok to the Rescue
    AND The Topiary Donation

It was a great weekend! Thanks everyone!

15. Mos_Eisleian_Radio

Mos_Eisleian_Radio Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2000
    Hey, waitaminute. Erica already claimed me as her b!t@h.

Phil

16. TK895

TK895 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 5, 2000
    Yes I must admit a few of you rebels are ok in my book. It really was great to meet all of you who have actually seen me post on the few occassions that I have.

You are all wecome to join in any discussions back at my homestead.
    http://pub5.ezboard.com/bmidwestgarrison

I was very impressed with what we achieved in that room. I saw people touching the cave walls not expecting to feel paper. The lighting over in that area was the perfect touch.

I never took a good look at Yoda's hut but from a distance it was very realistic looking and I could swear I heard Bob calling to us from there.

I will track down those responsible for the miscount on the ballots and get Fett on their case. NO ONE screws with the Empire.

Now, I need some pictures for our photopoint site. please put up your links asap. If anyone needs to have their pictures scanned in and posted to the web just e-mail me and I will arrange it for you.

Again, it was great seeing you all and especially you Jeff. I don't think anyone noticed you in that moose hat. Or when you came back later in the black vinyl trenchcoat and spanked Dave. Those sites nearly blinded me, good things I put those new lenses in my helmet.

Later

17. NOT_JediJeff

NOT_JediJeff Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 18, 2000
    I KNOW you are not talking about me, TK895.

18. JediAutobot

Dec 3, 2000
    I'll be a voice of reason here. (Scary huh, me one of the voices of reason.)

I believe all those votes that were found were the ballots where we wrote in the CF name so they were all ready for people to turn in. So that would have been stuffing the ballot by just turning those in. Which is a Chicago tradition, but I digress. I think that's what we found post party. But TK, you can still get Boba Fett on their case if you want. :)

19. JediJeff13

Nov 27, 2000
    Chicago: Vote early. Vote often.

20. Le_Penguin

Nov 26, 2000
    My weekend was... hectic to say the least. Glad everyone was able to have a good time at the con despite my soul-crushing absence.

On the subject of cons, is anyone planning on heading to the Pittsburgh Con this year (April 27-29)?

My main reason for attending will be for the Harvey Awards, as well as the host: Evan Dorkin (creator of my favorite SW parody: Milk & Cheese's "Darth Vader Overdrive"), but there are plenty of SW-related motivations. Guest highlights include, but are not limited to:

Garrick Hagon/ Biggs (when will we get Dak at a con? My trigger finger's itchy!)
    Paul Blake/ Greedo (how will we know? It could be anybody? I could be Greedo.)
    Michonne Bourriague/ Aurra Sing (I think she's going to be in Ep II)
    Shannon Baksa/ Mara Jade (rowr...)
    William Hootkins/ Porkins (double-rowr!)

Some non-sw guests of note include the immortal Frank Miller, Jeff Smith, George Perez, Joe Quesada, and yes... Alexandra Tydings (perhaps the only truly attractive "blonde bombshell")

Anyway, I'll be out there with some friends (at least I'm about 80% certain that I'll be there) so let me know if any of you punks feel like hooking up once you're out there.

-Le Penguin
    "Goddamn, that DJ made my day."

21. jedigal

Sep 21, 2000
    Actually, Carrie, it was my hubby who found the extra votes. And, no, they were NOT the ones where we so kindly filled out our name for party-goers to use.

These were REAL votes. How do I know? Because they have unique badge numbers on them. That's how they keep the voting fair is by making you put your badge number on your vote.

Just an FYI.

22. JediAutobot

Dec 3, 2000
    I retract my original statement.

Here's my new one:

We were robbed.

This of course ignores the fact that the Dueling Blenders guys said they had a bunch of unturned in votes to.

But despite the voting turn, it was AWESOME!

And I'm still tired... :)

23. Bobafemme

Bobafemme FF Jedi Council Member, Chicago IL RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 25, 2000
    I'm so confused on who is who's bitch. I thought Phil was Thom's bitch.

As for the funniest moment, it would be Mav and Jesus at breakfast. Maybe the marinara incident would be funnier if I could see what was going on. Although, the post marianara masked dance was pretty good.

I should have my photos up (minus those that may get some in trouble) Friday after work.

24. TK895

TK895 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 5, 2000
    We want all of the pics, damn the trouble! Besides what trouble could a couple of pictures of Jeff galavanting around in drag cause? I mean if you didn't know it was him, you would have asked her out.

I know Dave enjoyed the spanking he got from the vinyl girl. He was looking for her all night.

Plus we need the pictures of the bald guy in the mesh shirt and shorts. Someone please say you got a shot that guy!.

25. Le_Penguin

Nov 26, 2000
    Geez, now I'm really kicking myself. I had to go to a stupid Goth birthday party/anti-valentine party. I suck. (I did get to watch the classic film "Zapped!" starring Scott Baio, on Friday, tho. That makes up for some of it.)

TK, if you can't get any pics of JJ in drag, you're welcome to ransack my vast archives on that particular subject. If we were on the old boards, I'd just post them here.

...except for the stuff with the geese. Guy's gotta have his standards.

-Le Penguin
    "I love y'all, broads.
    No disrespect to my dogs,
    But I love y'all, broads."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.