main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "On your left." - Captain America (Brave New World)

Discussion in 'Community' started by gonzoforce, Nov 9, 2008.

1. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    How many days after it's US debut do you expect this to take to surpass BvS worldwide total, Rylo Ken?

2. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    It may be close to $700 million worldwide by this coming Sunday. So the following Sunday at latest it should have passed BvS.

3. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Unless my friends are sober enough to go see this film this weekend (bday party) I'll probably be seeing this next Thursday.

4. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I'll make a note in my diary.

Rogue_Ten likes this.
  5. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    I thought it was okay. I would've enjoyed it more if I'd found Capt. America's position even remotely agreeable. After hearing all the praise for Spider-Man I found him a let down, yet probably still the best thing about the film.

6. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    I loved The Winter Soldier. How was this compared to it? This looks crowded. Is that just a false impression based on the trailers showcasing this big team up battle? Does it manage to have enough story for all the characters that it works with a large ensemble?

7. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    My concern as well. I liked Avengers 2 pretty well, but I thought they did a poor job of devoting enough attention to a few of the characters, due to it being overcrowded. Made events such as Quicksilver's death not all that impactful - we barely knew him.

I am hearing that is not the case with Civil War, which is exciting.

ShaneP likes this.
  8. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    It's nowhere near as good as The Winter Solider IMO. By no means bad, just nothing spectacular. I'd out it behind TWS, Guradians, The Avengers and Iron Man 3. I'll need to see it again out of the cinema though as that always tends to dampen my opinion of a film.

9. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001

I really liked TWS and IM3. Those are my two favorite Marvel films. The Avengers was great too. GotG was visually interesting and funny at times but not my favorite.

10. Darth Kronos

Darth Kronos Force Ghost star 6

Jan 2, 2016
    As the days get closer, my excitement only grows.

Also, yeah, I also really liked Iron Man 3. I think it gets way too much hate. :D

11. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    From what I've read the crowding is well handled and written. That said, I would be lying if I was not annoyed that this is an Avengers film with a different name. I would have been real happy with Steve, Bucky, Natasha, Sam and T'Challa's introduction. I'm not a fan of most of the other characters shoe-horned into this, but I have a little faith in the Russos and the screenwriters in handling each of these characters with a bit of care.

and if Sebastian Stan gets a decent amount of screen time, I'll forgo any misgivings I may have.

12. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Is there a Dr. Strange stinger at the end?

13. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
  14. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Got my ticket for 10:50 am Saturday.

15. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Spidey was handled really well. The minor changes to his costume were unnecessary, though; I assume that decision was merchandise-driven.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  16. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    Watched it. Really enjoyed it. The ensemble element is well handled and it still felt like a cap flick

17. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    That was grrrrrreat.

18. a star war

a star war Force Ghost star 5

May 4, 2016
    At times, the plot dangles by some tenuous threads, and I think you could argue that the Russos don't actually manage to hold it all together in places.

For example, the airport showdown had no real reason to take place. Cap is attempting to get to Siberia with information that Team Stark doesn't have, but when he presents this information, not a single member on that side wants to hear him--Captain America, undisputed leader of the Avengers for years--out.

And Rogers, for his part, could have offered to turn himself in, under the condition the legitimate Avengers go check out Siberia first. Stark even says it has been 24 hours of the 36 he was allotted, how long would it have taken to pack everyone into the Jet to check out Siberia (where Zemo is waiting, completely alone)? In that time Tony would have received the tip from Friday, and nobody goes to jail (maybe?).

Maybe if the Stark reveal had come sooner, that might have motivated him to be so completely unable to even listen to Cap, but then again Cap never even tries that hard to explain, he jumps right into the fray.

And Cap's position is never challenged. He was right all along, and he never struggles with his decision a single time. It's his movie, sure, but the only thing he cares about is making sure Bucky goes free. But what if he had been wrong about him? He has no real evidence. Falcon even seems bewildered that "newspapers in [his] shoes" is enough to convince Cap, but that's the end of it. Every piece of information Rogers gets comes directly from Bucky's mouth. What if The Winter Soldier was playing him. What if they get to Siberia, and Bucky reveals that he and Zemo have been masterminding the whole thing from the start? I understand not wanting him to be killed, but he doesn't look at things objectively the entire movie. He's lucky, but that doesn't mean he's doing the right thing the right way.

And this movie doesn't resolve the Civil War plot at all. The Accords still exist. Cap, Lang, Barton, Wilson, Maximoff, and soon to be Romanov, are all fugitives. How can they continue to operate without Tony's team showing up to stop them (even though Tony seems to be coming around at the end), or without Tony and co. taking a trip to the raft if they don't?

Fun movie, though.

19. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    One of the pre-show title cards at the Rifftrax Live show with "Time Chasers" was this...

"SPOILER ALERT: 'Captain America: Civil War' is Marvel's most grim film, mainly due to Ken Burns' narration over Matthew Brady's stark photographs".

DaenaBenjen42 and tom like this.
  20. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    Something that has bugged me since the second trailer spider man reveal: "All right, I've run out of patience. Underoos!" The reason? He's escalating things because... he's impatient? Tony has basically committed the three power ranger no-nos: battle escalation for no reason, ID reveal, and personal gain... and two of those were at the same time.

21. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Well, that was so much better than that other superhero movie where they fought.

Although
    What is it with superheroes and their mommies?! Tony doesn't say "He killed my parents!" No, he specifically says "He killed my mom!" My friend next to me asked if her name was Martha. When I said Maria, he pointed out that was pretty close!

22. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007

Cap should've told Tony that Bucky's mom was named Maria

23. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Saw it, loved it, want to watch it again.

24. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Friends invited me and the 12 year old tonight, so I guess this will be my first superhero movie of 2016. Disney gets my money again.

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  25. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    It's so thoroughly enjoyable you're sure to hate it.