main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "On your left." - Captain America (Brave New World)

Discussion in 'Community' started by gonzoforce, Nov 9, 2008.

1. darth_boy

darth_boy Jedi Grand Master star 7

Apr 1, 2001
    It was ok, better than Thor.

2. slimybug

slimybug Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 14, 2001
    I belive they're talking about S.H.I.E.L.D. [image=http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/4/47341/1809312-shield__4__avengers_movie_set_super.jpg]

Slimy!

3. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    No, we were talking about the shield.
    [image=http://captain-america.us/images/capwallpaper2/CapShield.jpg]

4. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004

5. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Dorman's Vader vs Cap

[image=http://davedorman.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/darth-vader-v-captain-america.jpg]

6. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Bah, wouldn't a vibranium shield - capable of absorbing all vibrations - be able to block a lightsaber by canceling out the waves that make up the -*Punches himself*

Cool picture.

7. Spider-Fan

Spider-Fan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2008
    I found this fascinating: Apparently Captain America has now officially made more overseas than in North America.

Mind you its not an overwhelming amount (about $4.5 million), but it certainly seems counter to all the bluster and concern leading up to the film about how it could tank overseas due to its perceived pro-American leanings (though I thought the movie did a wonderful job of balancing that). Again its not that significant a difference either way, but its nice to see that people, regardless of nationality seemed to take interest in the film and its characters.

8. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    This relentless churning out of mediocre but reasonably entertaining comic book movies has had the effect of creating a begrudging overseas audience for comic book movies. X Men 4 made $350 worldwide this summer (about 2X budget), Captain America has made $350 million worldwide (2x budget). Thor made $450 million worldwide, so 3x budget - the only one of the three that has been marginally profitable given the huge marketing outlays for these films. I guess Thor's thin connection to European culture gave it an extra push.

9. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I don't disagree with your larger point, which Even has also harped on at some length. But I think you're being unfair with your list of movies there. I'd agree that Captain America was a pretty roundly awful (at best, extremely mediocre) movie. But X-Men: First Class was by pretty much all accounts a good film. It was certainly well-reviewed, its actors have had their profiles raised off the strength of performances offered, and word of mouth, if not enough to buoy the film, certainly trended more positive than negative. I think that this was a quality film suffering from franchise fatigue. It doesn't deserve to be lumped in with other warmed over garbage like Thor, Captain America, and Green Lantern.

10. Im_just_guessing

Im_just_guessing Jedi Knight star 7

Oct 23, 2002
    Wocky, would you have liked Captain America more if it had focused on Isaiah Bradley?

11. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    I have no idea who Isaiah Bradley is or was, so probably not. Unless he's a completely different superhero that affords better character development, plot, enemies, and dialogue.

12. Im_just_guessing

Oct 23, 2002
  13. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    And that answers exactly none of the questions I just asked.

14. Im_just_guessing

Oct 23, 2002
    Once again your inability to look anything up on google or wikipedia brings conversations to a stand still.

15. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Unless you just pulled that name out of a hat, there was some reason that you thought my opinion about this character might've been different than my opinion about Captain America. The best way to facilitate that conversation would have been simply to ask directly about those points.

As it is, no, I have no desire to see a ham-fisted attempt by a comic book movie to take on something like Tuskegee.

16. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    I missed all the comic book movies in theaters this summer, but I did catch X Men 4 last night, and you're right, it's not half bad. It's not great either, maybe got raves merely for being a bit better than the first three. Jennifer Lawrence brought some depth to the part of the blue lizard girl, and Rose Byrne walked around in her underwear for fifteen minutes. There was plenty to enjoy.

17. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Apparently, Hayley Atwell was genuinely mesmerized by his chest cavity and couldn't help herself. The director loved the take, and....

18. slimybug

slimybug Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 14, 2001
    I read that somewhere, and the person was like "I wonder how well it would have gone over had it been Atwell shirtless and Evans copping a feel."

Slimy!

19. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    This movie is releasing five days before my birthday. :)

Trailer:

This movie is looking pretty good and I am excited for it. :D

EDIT: The2ndQuest did not read your post in the Marvel thread before creating this. Sorry.[/media]

EDIT: Trailer is not working for some reason.

20. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    If any mods can fix the opening post and add the trailer and poster it would be greatly appreciated.

21. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    YOU BROKE THE INTERWEBS DAMN YOU

22. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Moving and bumping this- I thought we had a Winter Solider thread already, but I cannot find it. If it pops up, we'll merge this into that, but for now, with the poster and tweaser up, and the trailer to follow tomorrow, we can use this one.

EDIT- Also merged the one other thread in here.

Also, the new poster:

[​IMG]

As well as the teaser poster from a couple months ago:

[​IMG]

23. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    Thanks for posting the teaser and poster images everyone. I'm definitely curious to see the full-trailer. Being a huge fan of 1991's The Rocketeer, I felt like Joe Johnston was a really good fit for the first Captain America, and he turned in a very solid effort IMO. But I was a little concerned when they hired the guys who directed You, Me and Dupree for the sequel. I'm keeping an open mind, though.

24. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Maybe in the sequel, Tony Stark is out of a job and has to live with Steve and his girlfriend in their apartment causing great discomfort for everyone?

Juke Skywalker likes this.
  25. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    ^I smell sit-com. I think I'd throw in Loki as their evil landlord, and Lockjaw as their wacky pet who transports them to adventures at inconvenient times in their social schedule.