main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "On your left." - Captain America (Brave New World)

Discussion in 'Community' started by gonzoforce, Nov 9, 2008.

1. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005

Favreau is a completely unimaginative filmmaker - although the first act is very well done the rest of the film becomes totally perfunctory and rides on Downey's natural charm. Iron Man Three is just damn fine genre filmmaking from start to finish. It's Lethal Weapon 5. This is a good thing.

If only Black had been employed by Marvel in a more executive fashion. Might have given Thor: The Dark World the help it so direly needed.

2. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  3. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005

Sebastian Stan was at ComicCon talking about how he was the Winter Soldier. The fact that there are bad guys within SHIELD seems established by the trailer pretty well, so I wouldn't worry too much.

4. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Hope this movie is good.

5. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002

The fight scenes are actually pretty good.

6. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    That is pretty neat- never even heard about that before.

Winter Solider writer & co-director talk about the character and film tone.

"What helps us get past the pious Boy Scout that he could turn into is that he doesn't really want to be this guy. He would prefer to be Steve Rogers just walking down the street, helping people sometimes.​

He felt the call when the War came. He's kind of the still centre and things happen around him and are influenced by him. It's interesting in this movie, for instance, to watch his relationship with Black Widow, who of course has a very different outlook.​

It can make it difficult with executives who often want arcs. It's very difficult not to sound lazy when you go, 'Well, he doesn't really have an arc'"​

The film's co-director Anthony Russo also talked about the tone of the film which aims to blend the 1970s thriller formula with contemporary action:

"What made '70s thrillers interesting is that it was a very complicated time.We were peeling back the curtain with Watergate and realizing how corrupt the system was. Now, again with the proliferation of social media, you can blow the whistle on the NSA and it can be round the world in 30 seconds. And we have the morality of drones. It is right to preemptively use them to kill suspected terrorists prior to any sort of trial? So the times we're living in are even more complex."​

7. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    I'd say the movie will be timely but not necessarily 1:1 applicable. The thing was written as far back as 2011, so it's fantastic that it's able to remain relevant, but I bristle at the implication it was written with that in mind.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The story outline was written in 2011, they didn't have a director(s) until mid 2012, while casting was late 2012 and filming in 2013. That's plenty of time for thematic elements in the script to be tweaked to become relevant to more recent events, or for an overall stylistic approach to the tone of the material to be geared in that direction.

9. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  10. Penguinator

May 23, 2005

True enough - if we're talking the Snowden stuff, though, the timeline doesn't quite work. They were filming by the time the story broke, but I certainly can see how drone operations, militarism, and other contemporary issues will play a large role. If anything, it's editing and the general tone on the set as Prism and other activities were revealed that will make it applicable and timely.

EDIT: Or I'm totally wrong, which is pretty likely :p

11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    There's also pick-ups as well. Only takes a line or two to tie in the theme to events.

Penguinator likes this.
  12. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Not if you have anything substantive to say. The idea that we should say someone has "addressed" an issue thanks to one or two throw away lines is risible. If you are going to make a movie about something, it should be made about that thing, at length, and on multiple levels. Just as these films seem to have difficulty coming to grips with in terms of character development, a single quip is not a stand-in for substance.

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I mean if the story's theme is already similar to real events by coincidence, tying them together in a line or two to enhance the similarity is achievable without being an empty or tacked-on gesture.

14. Moviefan2k4

Moviefan2k4 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2009
    I love the fact that Steve has to break into the Smithsonian for his old uniform, after getting into trouble with SHIELD. It shows his ultimate loyalty lies with what the U.S. represents, not the federal government itself.

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    A shame though- I actually prefer his newer "Agent" uniform (though it could use a bit less padding/quilting). His WW2 is is pretty good though.

16. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    I think his WW2 outfit is vastly superior to what they put him in for the Avengers. Everyone's costume got a modern update (even goofy purple hat Hawkeye) but Cap got the bright blue jumpsuit with weird piping.

17. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Yeah, The WW2 costume is awesome and I was hoping they would keep it.

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Both are definitely better than the Avengers uniform.

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
  20. Moviefan2k4

Moviefan2k4 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2009
    Seeing as Hayley Atwell's in the new film, I really hope they put her in elderly makeup for a present-day scene with Steve and Peggy. They need to finish their "date" so he can move on.

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I believe that's been confirmed as being in the film- he visits some vets and she's there helping or some such. In fact, I think that's how they shot the Agent Carter One-Shot- they piggybacked the shooting with TWS.

EDIT-

[​IMG]

22. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Tragically, she's bat**** insane from old age and keeps confusing him with Adolf Hitler and proceeds to throw her porridge at him.

Jedi Merkurian and Six like this.
  23. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    After seeing the Japanese trailer for the movie, I'm pretty sure Sundance is gonna be a bad guy - as if I had any doubt.

Also, a Kamen Rider/Captain America mashup needs to happen.

24. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Has anyone found the extended trailer featuring the entire elevator fight?

25. AstroFan428

AstroFan428 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 3, 2003
    Is this getting a super bowl spot?

I am pretty sure I saw a BTS picture of her in that make up.