main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "On your left." - Captain America (Brave New World)

Discussion in 'Community' started by gonzoforce, Nov 9, 2008.

1. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Yeah, I suppose you're right in that aspect.

2. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    I don't think it can be trolling if I legitimately hate the genre and am expressing it in a reasoned way on a board that is expressly not devoted to loving the genre. And the Dark Knight's commercial success had a whole lot to do with Ledger's death.

3. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Maybe it had something to do with it because we humans are morbid ****ers that way. But I think it's success had more to do with solid word of mouth and that it is simply a damn good film.

Sarge and Juliet316 like this.
  4. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    And most of the rest of the films that came out summer of 2008 were giant piles of poop.

Juliet316 likes this.
  5. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Most of the films that come out every summer are giant piles of poop. But the dominance of the comic book superhero genre isn't helping. I will admit though that whatever would replace them if they weren't being made at this pace would likely be just as bad. I'm getting to that age where I only want to see movies that I haven't already seen a million times.

6. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Susan Storm was twelve when she met the much older Reed Richards, who was nineteen. By the time of the stories in the 80's, when she switched to being the Invisible Woman, she was supposed to be in her late twenties and Reed was supposed to be in his mid thirties. By 1994, the characters were said to be active as the Fantastic Four at least ten years.

Natasha was active in WWII in 1941 and twenty years later when she first appeared in Tales Of Suspense. Later retcons put her as being genetically enhanced which slowed down the aging process. This was implemented long before the live action films and was done to keep her original history intact, much like Tony Stark went from Vietnam to Afghanistan when he first became Iron Man. And how Reed Richards and Ben Grimm went from serving in WWII to being in the Gulf War.

The New Warriors were in their early twenties when they were established. Most of the Mutant X-Men characters introduced between 1963 and 1984, are in their late twenties, with only a few exceptions like Banshee. The New Mutants went from being teens to in their early twenties when the series relaunched as X-Force. The Generation X characters were in the mid to late teens, last I saw.

Really? Not the fact that people wanted to see it. No one died during "The Dark Knight Rises" and it made as much money. But I suppose you'll say that Aurora shooting helped it. What about "The Avengers" and "Iron Man 3"? No one died in those films and they both made a billion dollars.

7. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    TDKR didn't make as much money as TDK domestically mainly because of the shooting but also because it wasn't very good.

Sarge likes this.
  8. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    It still crossed the one billion mark, just like the previous film did.

9. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    That was Cap's "I am a Jedi" toss-away-lightsabre moment. I liked it.

10. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Nick Fury had a lightsabre moment too. But that's to be expected, he is Mace Windu after all

Healer_Leona and pronker like this.
  11. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I have one tiny lil criticism. He hold sup his shield and rushes forth while gunfire is directed at him. If you are the shooter, why don't you shoot Cap's legs? Maybe the angle is off? Maybe the bullets being directed back towards you are throwing you off?

12. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    1) Movie.
    2) Movie bad guys are more often than not incompetent idiots.

Jedi Merkurian and Juliet316 like this.
  13. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    I was trying for something other than the Stormtrooper option.(Even though that cliche is false in ANH)

14. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Cap'n's plot armor was working exceptionally well that day.

15. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    The enemies of America hate the American flag, and consequently cannot resist shooting at Cap's star-spangled shield!

pronker and Sarge like this.
  16. Souderwan

Souderwan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 3, 2005

Hey. That wasn't my comment! I was quoting someone else. I liked it too!

It's actually pretty hard to shoot at someone's legs in a dynamic situation like that. Most people are trained to shoot center-mass at all times. Once things get hectic, people tend to fall back to what they're trained to do, which doesn't always work with the particular situation they're faced with.

17. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    I thought that myself, but if you know that's Captain America, and you know about the shield, then why bother shooting at the shield? Take a chance and aim for them legs.

18. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Doh! Sorry bout that, Subman. Formatting issues, y'know?

You're right about center of mass targeting; that's what I was taught for 9mm pistol. The mantra was "two to the chest, one to the head" just in case the bad guy had body armor. IRL, I don't know of anybody who shoots at legs. Compared to other options, legs are skinny and usually moving fast.

Jedi Merkurian and Souderwan like this.
  19. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    But they had machine guns.

20. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    It's not unreasonable to suggest Ledger's death contributed greatly to the pre-release hype. Whether it had any impact on the actual box office performance (beyond the opening weekend) might be debatable, but it certainly raised the film's awareness prior to release.

He threw away his shield because he wasn't going to fight or resist Bucky anymore. It's almost the anti-Man of Steel moment.

Juliet316 likes this.
  21. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    I understand why Steve did his "I'm a Jedi" thing. My question was kinda rhetorical. :p

22. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    If he did not recover his shield at the end then perhaps that will become a sub plot in a later film. He does have to start shooting Avengers 2 soon though.

23. Souderwan

Souderwan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 3, 2005
    He recovered his shield. It's there in the hospital scene.

24. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    I missed it then. But then that means perhaps Bucky found it for him while he was dragging him out of the water? Landing paint side down it could float I think.

25. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Maybe Vibranium is buoyant. :p

Souderwan likes this.