main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "On your left." - Captain America (Brave New World)

Discussion in 'Community' started by gonzoforce, Nov 9, 2008.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, it was the only movie I've ever been compelled to walk back into for the very next showing after seeing it.

It's ability to reward multiple viewings with new subtleties and facets of the story and performances was icing on the cake.

Mr44 likes this.
  2. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    The Daft Punk score was the icing on the cake.

3. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Oh, yes- a thousand times yes.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  4. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I'll throw in my support for Legacy too.

[​IMG]

And that's just one of the coolest things I have ever seen.

5. Moviefan2k4

Moviefan2k4 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2009
    I hated "Tron Legacy" when I first saw it, because all my theater had was a 3D showing, and I couldn't see much at all. I was also going through many more emotional problems at the time. About a year later, I found it on Blu-Ray for $10, and gave it another shot. I was very impressed with it, and its one of my favorite sequels now.

Trivia Fact: The writers of the film later created "Once Upon A Time", which deals with similar themes involving the meaning of humanity, plus multiple storylines past and present.

6. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I know the original Tron is a cult classic and much revered, but I never rated it. I didn't mind Legacy although it had a lot of odd stuff in it.

7. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Sooo what's Captain America 3 going to be about?

8. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Tron Legacy apparently.

9. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    I suspect its main theme will be about kicking WB/DC Comics' booty.

lbr789 and Juliet316 like this.
  10. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    So does that mean millions upon millions of buildings will be destroyed?

11. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    The speculation at present is that they're going to adopt the Grand Director storyline from the 70's. It was a story about one of Steve Rogers replacements as Captain America and his fall from grace. This was an extension of a retcon regarding Cap's post 1945 stories, prior to The Mighty Avengers #4, when he was found and thawed out.

12. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I don't know if Georeg St Pierre had a stunt man, but I know he didn't need one.

13. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    So, I was thinking about this last night -- one of the critiques of modern hero movies (not just superhero, but things like Star Trek and other such things) is that more recently in the movies the heroes are "too late" -- instead of preventing damage altogether (a la the James Bonds of old) there is usually massive damage caused first but then the heroes stop the villains after.that.

Clearly the Hulk is, for the most part, excepted because... Hulk. And Superman II is usually the definitive example as everything that happens is because he gave up the life (Dark Knight, take note!) and then promises he'd never let it happen again.

Even with The Avengers and the Thor(s) explicitly stating attempts at containing damage, things like Star Trek Into Darkness, The Dark Knight, The Dark Knight Rises (gets somewhat a pass as the source material partially adapted explicitly had this scenario) were bad and Man of Steel was egregiously bad because it was intentional on the part of the hero.

But Captain America still shows this. Captain America was always the ideological analogue to Superman in Marvel and it's refreshing in many ways that they are uncompromising on both his ideology of a "big blue Boy Scout" but also with having him prevent the damages before it happens (only SHIELD is destroyed which is exactly what he set out to do as it was corrupt and needed to go).

Plus, you know, the scene with Bucky at the end being vintage Cap.

14. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    Kind of... I don't think we've really seen the fallout of what Cap did yet. I mean theoretically what Cap and Widow did to bring down SHIELD has the potential to cause as much or even more damage than what happened in Man of Steel. If SHIELD was the wall protecting people from all the threats that the government, military, and normal intel branches weren't equipped for then honestly the world is in a lot of peril. Not to mention SHIELD was international, the investment all those nations put into SHIELD just went up in flame, and that was probably A LOT of money.

15. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Did the Avengers really toss around those creatures with any regard for where they landed? I don't recall them doing so.

16. Aravis Kenobi

Aravis Kenobi Jedi Youngling

May 8, 2014

I hope it'll be about Steve redeeming or finding Bucky. That was the singular worst part of the film; seeing Bucky brainwashed and half the person he used to be (metaphorically speaking obviously).

17. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    They mentioned going down the Bad Cap/William Burnside/Grand Director/Ultimate Nuke route. That's, the bad guy (or at least one of them) being the less than stable guy the US drafted to replace Steve Rogers as Captain America when he was thought to be dead.

18. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I'd have to imagine Cap 3 is going to involve Crossbones. As well as Bucky.

Watched this in the theaters again today. I'm kind of in love with this film. And NOT just because Cleveland.

19. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    That would be amazing. And it would once again lend itself to a lot of political commentary; you know, the counterfeit versus the genuine, the co-opting of patriotism, the corruption of the American ideal. Wow. I'm not familiar with that stuff in the comics, but just the one sentence pitch you gave there really fires my imagination with tons of possibilities.

20. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

They explicitly mentioned a) attempting to contain the aliens and all fighting to a three-block radius and b) getting all of the civilians out of that area, yes. They, in fact, dedicated written dialogue to this point. :p

pronker and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    There's a hilarious mash-up video to be made of Avengers & ASM attempts at limiting civilian casualties interspersed with flashes of MOS carnage.

Ending with Reeves' "The people!" line.

22. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    You need to post that video now.

dp4m likes this.
  23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I want to make it but it would mean buying a copy of MOS. ;)

Once Winter Soldier & ASM2 hits video I'll take a crack at it.

pronker likes this.
  24. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Again, I saw no regard for where those giant snake things landed. Crashing on top of buildings, through libraries, into heavily populated areas. Outside of Captain America's instructions to the cops, there was never a sense of "let's prevent collateral damage" while Iron Man and Hulk were blasting away toy soldiers.

Let's take your favorite, Man of Steel. Superman tells the people in Smallville "get inside, it's not safe" too. Then everything is essentially leveled by Kryptonians and the military, with no regard for populated buildings. I'm going to suspect that, in that circumstance, you wouldn't think of arguing that Superman tried to save civilians, or had any regard for their safety (even though he actually does go out of his way to save a pilot, a la Cap with the girl in the library) Same difference.

25. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    CAPTAIN AMERICA: "I need men in these buildings. There are people inside that can run into the line of fire. You take them through the basement or through the subway. You keep them off the streets. I need a perimeter as far back as 39th."

CAPTAIN AMERICA: "Save it. Loki's gonna keep this fight focused on us and that's what we need.Without him these things could run wild. We got Stark up top, he's gonna
    need us..."

CAPTAIN AMERICA: "Alright, listen up. Until we can close that portal up there, we're gonna use containment. Barton, I want you on that roof, eyes on everything. Call out patterns and strays. Stark, you got the perimeter. Anything gets more than three blocks out, you turn it back or you turn it to ash."

Yeah, I'm not seeing your issues. It's clear -- both from word and deed -- this was about containment. Yes, there was a lot of destruction in that 3 block zone (the portal opened over 42nd street, hence the 39th street mention as the perimeter zone) with using the civilian first responders to get the rest of the civilian population out via underground areas while Loki keeps the Chitauri personally trying to attack the Avengers.

Superman, meanwhile, intentionally put the fight in the middle of Smallville. They were alone, at the farm, the only people in danger were him and his mother not the entire town. :p Of course I'm not giving Superman the benefit of the doubt there...