main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "On your left." - Captain America (Brave New World)

Discussion in 'Community' started by gonzoforce, Nov 9, 2008.

1. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Shocking. I'm not so much focused on what was said, as what was done. But this argument will go on forever. :p

2. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Yes, but still -- did you really think that they were causing damage outside of that three block zone? It didn't seem so much to me, with "ground zero" being Grand Central at 42nd/Park...

3. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I'm curious how much better this film would have done if it switched release dates with ASM 2.

4. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Honestly it's hard to keep track of where they are located, with the way the action cuts around in those sequences. It's not as grand a scale as Man of Steel, though!

5. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012

Cap would still win.

Sarge likes this.
  6. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    But would it have made more/less money?

7. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    I don't know, but a Zac Efron/Seth Rogan film wouldn't have knocked Cap2 out of the top spot in Cap2's second week out, like 'Neighbors' did to Spidey.

8. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    The Ultimate Version of this storyline had Bad Cap being the Captain America of the Vietnam War. The "we fought very different wars" motif was quite powerful.

The regular version one was the Cap from the 50s, basically McCarthyism given flesh.

You can't go wrong with any version. :p

9. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012

More

10. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    There wasn't much beyond the Cap quotes dp cited earlier- but that's because what Cap ordered was working. Let's also not forget that the Avengers kept an eye open for trapped civilians leading to that whole bank sequence with Cap going out of his way from the battle to save all those people, not to menion smaller moments like Hawkeye and Black Widow evacuating that bus.

And there was definitely an effort to contain the Leviathans- Iron man used flares to draw the attention of the first one and turn it back towards the assembled Avengers near ground zero by Star Tower. Thor fried the third wave above Stark Tower.

One from the second wave was about to crash right through an occupied office building until the Hulk rushed through the office and turned it away- he and Thor later finish that one off which crashes at Grand Central Station (which is right near Stark Tower). Stark Jonahs a second from that wave in the combat zone. Only the last one from the second wave dies by itself- but it lands on a building surrounded by others on fire so even that one was likely in the perimeter.

Literally 5/7 Leviathans are killed above or next to Stark Tower, and the other two seemingly within the combat perimeter. 6/7 from direct Avenger actions. I'd say that qualifies as a containment effort.

Sarge and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  11. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005

It's a good thing the Chitauri decided to only attack in that 3 block radius, then.

I feel like this is something that happens to me whenever I watch anything these days, but I really liked this movie when I saw it, and now a few weeks later I'm kind of indifferent. It was entertaining, but I no longer know if it was good. It feels like the same stuff in new trappings.

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Partly Loki's fault for focusing them on the Avengers, but after the Avengers downed that first Leviathan, they were rather intent on them (as illustrated by the one Chitauri removing his mask that seems to be yelling "WHAT THE ****?!?!?!"). Partly the success of the Avengers. Partly the likelihood of establishing a secure beachhead for their invasion forces (thus why exterminating all the humans in the immediate area seemed to be their priority).

13. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    Partly plot-induced apathy and idiocy.

14. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    Partly them successfully containing the invasion maybe?

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I don't think securing a beachhead on a planet with millions of trained military soldiers when you only have a few hundred is outlandish. Loki's focus might be but Cap's responding plan to take advantage of both of those isn't.

16. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    Let's also not forgot that New York is being invaded. Superman initiates a conflict and directs it straight into a populated area with absolutely no regard at all for the damage he's causing. Cap's--and the rest of the Avenger's--first and only concern is to contain an invasion force to as small an area as possible while actively defending and protecting innocent civilians.

How is it hard to see a difference there? Damage was done in The Avengers, but they were trying to stop it. Damage is done in MoS and he's mostly responsible for where it happens and how much.

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  17. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Please elaborate on how Superman, not Zod, "initiates" the conflict, and how he, moreso than the giant terraforming world engines, is "mostly responsible" for the damage.

18. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    He's on a secluded farm in the middle of nowhere. He drives Zod straight into town.

Also he led them straight to Earth. So. His fault.

19. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Ah, so inadvertently turning on an ancient machine is an invitation to invade and massacre. That makes sense, totally his fault.

He drives them into Smallville. Not Metropolis, that was Zod's decision.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  20. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I'm going to start a drinking game for both MoS destruction "debates" and "ASM is awful because Spider-Man is but a real hero" "debates"

Seriously.

21. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    I blame dp4m. :p

22. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Totally fair! :D

But my point, really, about Cap stands.

23. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    As Faora said, "For everyone you save, we will kill a million more." There was no way the battle was going to be contained to the Kent farm. Plus, Clark was moving Zod away from his mother whom he was about to hurt.

Which he didn't even know about. You blame Superman for Zod, then you need to blame both Thor and whoever brought the Tesseract to Earth and left it in Germany.

heels1785 and Darth_Invidious like this.
  24. Tatooine_native

Tatooine_native Jedi Master star 1

Sep 6, 2003
    Perhaps this should be settled by determining the human body count. I thought in one of the Avenger movie follow-ups, someone said thousands had been killed in the New York battle? How many died in Smallville/New York (er, Metropolis?)

Maybe Avengers should have ended earlier, with them preventing the Tesseract from ... opening the wormhole thing so the army could travel through. But for a final battle sequence, Loki could have taken on each Avenger individually until Hulk finished him off. :p

An interesting discussion, though. I though MoS was more about him learning his power, so I'd give him a bit of a pass for destruction because he was still figuring things out. He had never fought a powerful enemy before, and not distracted by his emotions. Most of the Avengers had been in some sort of battle before. And filmmakers know audiences like the big smash-crash-destruction of cities. (Although, honestly, I thought they wouldn't show buildings being demolished in an attack as much because, well, we all saw it live on TV for reals once, and CGI doesn't really compare to that). Cap seems best about it - the first movie had a lot of battles but not a lot of destruction, iirc.

25. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I blame Bryan Singer and Kevin Smith for the amount of destruction in Man of Steel; Bryan Singer for Superman Returns, where Superman does not throw a punch, and Kevin Smith for pointing it out. It seemed like Snyder was over compensating. I think Snyder was heavily influenced by The Matrix, from the Kryptonian growth pods, Superman kneeling down before he takes flight and Zod v. Superman was like Agent Smith v. Neo in Revolutions.

I felt the destruction in Man of Steel was repetitive to the point where it was very interesting.

Also, Zod sucks at hand-to-hand combat. Dude was beaten down by Jor El, and then a farm boy with no military training or fighting technique. Faora was such more of a better villain than Zod; better lines, fighting moves and onscreen persona.