main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "On your left." - Captain America (Brave New World)

Discussion in 'Community' started by gonzoforce, Nov 9, 2008.

1. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I will always care about the opinion of the man who gave me "stupid goat leg Doom."

Ramza likes this.
  2. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
  3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
  4. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    They always end up cutting her scenes it seems.

That said have they ever said what her rank with SHIELD actually is? I thought she was the Deputy Director but Sitwell seems to be fine with ordering her around.

5. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Winter Solider will be back in Cap 3.

"The character was invented for an explicitly political purpose. So it’s hard to get away from that nature, [but we're] bringing some new elements to the table that will give us a twist on Winter Soldier."

Also, we have a second deleted scene online:

Sarge and Juliet316 like this.
  6. Rosslcopter

Rosslcopter Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Well I'm glad they deleted that one.

7. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I can see why they would cut it, though I do like the added symbolism this scene adds to him retrieving his WW2 uniform. Also, armed soldiers storming a civilian gym adds to the political paranoia vibe the film is playing off of.

Sarge likes this.
  8. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    Personally I'd like to have seen all the deleted scenes in the movie. Of course that's the case for nearly ever movie I watch. Editing and pacing... eh... I'd be fine with a 6 hour cut even if 2 of the hours is just Cap and Widow driving silently to the army base.

9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It's not always pacing issues leading to the deletion of scenes though- in that case of that Sitwell/Hill scene, deleting it helps avoid spoiling whose side Sitwell is on. In the finished film we don't really know until the scene with the Senator.

Deleted Scene #3:

I can see why they made those trims- though I would have left the stuff about Widow's past in (particularly the throwback to the children's ward events hinted at in Avengers) since her lack of hesitation in the final cut did seem out of place or brushed over, the latter part of the conversation about Roger's chances was unnecessary.

Sarge and Juliet316 like this.
  10. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    I don't think that was the case with Sitwell. We already saw him commanding the SHIELD teams going after Rogers in the movie when he tried escaping the Triskelion. We knew he was on the wrong side, we didn't know till the scene with the senator he was Hydra.

11. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    What I would've liked to see in The Winter Soldier is have seen some of the S.H.I.E.L.D. officials tracking Rogers, because they genuinely believe he's a threat. Instead, the only ones we see tracking and attacking Rogers are actually HYDRA. Then later, some would say, "Oops, sorry, Capt. We were tricked." That would've made the waters even more murkier regarding who's friend and who's foe.

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well that's what I meant- we knew he was following Redford's orders but we didn't know he was all-in/HYDRA or was simply doing his job/following orders like the other SHIELD personnel at the Triskelion.

13. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    Yeah, but the deleted scene didn't insinuate he was Hydra, just a SHIELD agent loyal to the system, contrasting that with Hill who is clearly loyal to Fury and Cap over SHIELD itself.

I mean the scene wasn't needed as both had been established, at least for Sitwell. Hill we didn't really know until she rescued Cap, Widow, and Falcon.

14. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012

The film's political commentary in general would've had more bite if it ditched the "the bad guys are Illuminati Nazis" aspect.

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It's not so much insinuating he was HYDRA but rather loyal to Redford over Fury- it's more effective the less we question his loyalties.

16. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    I don't know. The idea that a group of super-nazis could operate as they did and no one even notice is even more frightening. I mean it's honestly chilling that the only reason this whole thing started was Fury didn't trust anyone but him to decide how to use Insight. The difference between the ideology of SHIELD and Hydra was basically semantics.

True... but really none of the SHIELD agents had any reason not to side with Redford. I mean we saw Sharon looking suspicious but we have to assume she went along with the plan just like Sitwell did even if she didn't agree with it. The only agent still loyal to Fury was Hill, Cap and Widow we're rogue, everyone else was with Redford.

We're probably arguing for no reason. I can see why the scene was cut, still would've liked to have seen it in the movie, but I'm that way with nearly any deleted scene. I live for extended cuts. :p

Sarge likes this.
  17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I still think there's some value to letting the audiences think Sitwell, like Sharon, might side against Redford even if he is a hard liner.

But looking at this stuff and thinking about how their inclusion or excision affects the film is part if the fun of extended cuts.

18. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    The real benefit of the scene was for Maria. It would have shown us what happened to her between the hospital and the rescue. Then when everyone is wondering where she is, we simply assume she was sent back per Pierce's orders so her showing up later would still be a surprise but it wouldn't feel like we were asking where she was for the past 20 minutes when Cap and Widow needed help. For Sitwell, sorry but he comes across as full fledged bad guy when he sends more agents to take down Cap in the elevator. At no point is he shown being informed of Rogers apparent crimes. He's just all about stopping Cap and it comes across as mustache twirling bad guy. That's actually one of my biggest complaints with that scene. Had Sitwell had some sort of hesitation or been ordered by Pierce, that might have been slightly better. But honestly both Sitwell and Pierce come off as grade A villains as soon as the elevator scene happens. So the betrayal from those two isn't quite as big as it could have been. I mean, imagine if Pierce had helped Cap and maybe even setup some mock rescue from rogue SHIELD agents thing? That would have made his turn as a villain just a bit more upsetting over the fact that he was clearly the bad guy from the beginning.

19. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    True but again Sitwell during the scene has no reason not to want to bring Cap in and be loyal to Redford. We can understand he's loyal to SHIELD and that Redford has obviously promoted him over Hill so he feels Redford values him. But until we find out he's Hydra we have no reason to believe the guy we've seen in two one shots, the Avengers, and Agents of SHIELD wouldn't also turn on Redford as soon as he found out he was a super-nazi.

True, that it is.

Yeah it would certainly have helped Maria's role, I know lots of people in my theater seemed to take a while to remember who she was during the rescue and after. I know it didn't click for some people until she got back in the blue jumpsuit.

And as for Sitwell... I mean I still don't see that as evil. The guy is just following orders from his superior. We assume Pierce told him to have Cap brought it, he's just following those orders. I'd have expected Blake or May to do the same thing if they were ordered too.
    I mean Pierce was obviously the badguy, but up until the Hydra reveal Sitwell was just another agent following orders.

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yoda is probably referring to how Sitwell was played a bit angrier/darker in those scenes which made him seem more like a villain than the more ambivalent, dry personality he had prior.

21. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  22. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    I could go with a Zola re-emerging as MODOK scenario. Maybe it's a bit out there, but since Zola was more or less converted into a digital AI, perhaps all he was waiting for was the chance to be uploaded into the Internet prior to the bunker being blown up. Then (perhaps with direct or indirect help from Ultron?) he gives himself a new body that doesn't necessarily have to be a big floating head with baby limbs.

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I'd rather they stick with the robot evolution for Zola they've hinted at and keep MODOK as a separate entity. Zola never struck me as a mastermind-type (smart but lacks the initiative overall).

24. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

It would have to entail it not being a Marvel story. One of the old tenants in a Marvel comic is that it's boring if it's a normal conflict. It becomes a Marvel conflict when you introduce a Marvel concept into the story. That's why the old John Walker story from the 80's revealed that it was all a masterminded plot by the Red Skull, rather than just being a normal falling out between Steve Rogers and the government over the role of Captain America.

25. themetresgained

themetresgained Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2013
    I loved this film - watched it last week. I think I want to watch it again.