main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "On your left." - Captain America (Brave New World)

Discussion in 'Community' started by gonzoforce, Nov 9, 2008.

1. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    That is . . . one way to put it. :p

2. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    didnt Thor's post credit scene show Selvig under Loki's control, so as Avengers set up?

Also for the number of appearances, cap 3 will be Cap's fifth appearance in the MCU, not his fourth. And sixth for the actor of course.

3. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    That too. The stinger was that Selvig was brought in on the Tesseract project. Loki saw it and said

[​IMG]

Juliet316, Diggy and jabberwalkie like this.
  4. Yoda's_Roomate

Yoda's_Roomate Chosen One star 5

Feb 8, 2000
    One thing I think will play out differently is, I don't think Steve Rogers retires as Capt. America to let Bucky move on with the shield. I think, if its true Chris Evans is done with Capt. America after Infinity War Pt. 2, Steve Rogers can die, like he sacrifices himself to defeat Thanos in Pt. 2 and then Bucky picks up from there to Phase 4.

5. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012

Passing Bucky the shield sets up Cap's demise in a psychological way though and can set up what you've mentioned here.

6. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    I think a little bit of the Index from AOS will carry over, but not fully. Just the idea of heroes being indexed in case of a repeat of what happened with the Hulk's rampage and the like. I don't think that synopsis is real. Some stuff might be pretty close to the mark, but not all. I do think the idea of government regulation will come up and leave everyone feeling uncertain as to where to go. But it would definitely fracture the team enough to set the stage for "Infinity War".

Yeah, it is funny. People wanted to know why the Avengers didn't help Tony fight Killian and his men, or why they didn't help with the helicarriers. They got mad. The Avengers show up in this film that's based on a story where they were part of it and now they're annoyed. Fandom for you.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  7. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    I could see the government/registration side winning completely in Civil War and then the government run Avengers in Infinity War Part I fail SPECTACULARLY in trying stop Thanos. All the time wasted working with the government and being accountable backfires and the earth gets destroyed or something. Then Infinity War Part II would end with the idea of registration being either rejected or neutered so much that the government is just a paper tiger with no actual oversight of the Avengers anymore.

8. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    If you've read Iron Man: Haunted, you know exactly how Stark's trust in the government is treated!

If you haven't, seek it out, it's a little known gem.

9. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    For the record, I'm not annoyed. Rather surprised at that huge cast, tbh. But I figure that if they're adapting the Civil War story, they were going to need as many hands on deck as possible. And things will probably get crazier once the Infinity War plays out.

PCCViking likes this.
  10. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014

If the Guardians join forces with the Avengers in both parts of the Infinity Wars, the tagline for the movies could be: We Are Groot. :D

Jedi Merkurian and Juliet316 like this.
  11. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    honestly after watching the video overview of the comic story-line it seems like maybe they don't have enough characters? or maybe just not the right ones. i mean do they have any super heroes with "secret identities"? i guess spider-man is being introduced to be the one example of that? i think the story would make more sense if they had the rights to the x-men and the concept of mutants in general.

i suppose they will have to change things a lot from the comic story-line in order to make the civil war more plausible in the movie universe. robot thor killing goliath seemed that was a key tipping point in the comic, and i can't imagine that's going to happen in the film.

12. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Agreeing with Tom. One of the problems is that most of the MCU's superheroes are not vigilante crime-fighters.

13. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    And only a few of the MCU Avengers are actually "superhuman". When you think about it, half of the Avengers are actually normal humans benefiting from high tech gimmicks or exceptional skillsets.

14. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    And Feige is fully aware of this. I wouldn't be surprised if the emphasis is on they are under the government's control rather than identities,although that will play a part.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  15. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i'm sure you're probably right that they will shift the emphasis somehow. that's a bit tricky though. i can't see iron man going to war with captain america because he so wants to be under the government's control.

16. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I think the movies have been slowly pushing Tony into kinda loony territory. I think I definitely saw in AoU a Tony that could become a straight-up antagonist. I'm mean, I'm sure Civil War will try to make it more balanced than that, but Tony was out of control in AoU.

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  17. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    yeah.....i thought that was resolved in Iron Man 3. I was really surprised when Ultron failed and he was eager to do it again with Vision.
    but the AI thing didn't make much sense to me. It seemed like JARVIS was AI all along.

18. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I missed it in the films, but it is implied somewhere that Bucky killed Tony's parents. That and the mass destruction and the fact that Stark is looking for an end to it all. They can stay close to the source material.

The big question is, are they going to actually kill Captain America.

19. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    i didn't think that had been implied yet, just that HYDRA was behind it. i thought it might come up in Civil War.

20. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Yeah, I doubt they are going to get much from the comic other than the basic "heroes cause a disaster and the superhuman population is somehow split between freedom versus safety" outline.

21. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005

Thank **** the X-Men aren't here to be all "oh no society hates and fears us because we're gorgeous and Jean once destroyed a planet!"

22. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Guys -- especially tom -- this is explicitly covered in the press release.

It was never going to be exactly like the comics, which I mentioned much earlier on I think?

23. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Just because a superhero ensemble movie says lots of characters will be in the cast, it does not necessarily follow that each character will take up a lot of screen time. For example, pretty much every X-Men movie ever.

Juliet316 and jabberwalkie like this.
  24. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004

No. They won't do it in Civil War, but I think Tony Stark is going to die in Infinity War.

25. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    There's not really any reach for the riff between Tony and Steve, either. Captain America took down SHIELD in the name of personal freedom. Tony created the Iron Legion--something which is clearly not well liked globally, based on the reception in Sokovia--and ultimately Ultron, in the name of public safety. Tony also disregarded the counsel of not only the Avengers, but his best friend Banner, in the creation of Vision to stop Ultron. He feels like he has a responsibility to keep everyone safe, because he feels like he's the only one smart enough, and with enough resources to do that.

Juliet316 likes this.