main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Captain America - Speculation and Discussion ***Spoilers***

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Jedi_Master_Conor, Jul 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    [image=http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d76/jedimasterronoc/captainamerica.jpg]

Well we all know it's coming. Just a matter of when. Avi Arad says hopefully around 2009.

Here is a brief article from a while back about it.

Avi Arad on the Captain America Movie

The Associated Press has published a new interview with Marvel Studios' Avi Arad in which he talks about the Captain America movie. The project is part of Marvel's deal with Paramount in which Marvel will make the film and Paramount will distribute.

"Without giving too much away, obviously there'll be a little bit of the origin and then we come into our real world," Arad says. "What makes Captain America such a compelling character is that it allows you to judge history so you see where he came from and you see what he stood for."

Although the script by an unnamed writer isn't finished and Arad doesn't anticipate Captain America arriving in theaters before 2009, he does have a director and leading man in mind. Of course, he's not declaring the independence of those details just yet.

"One of the things our movie is going to deal with is what happened in 60 years," says Arad. "Which world was better? Sixty years ago or now? Within, obviously, a kick-ass plot and all the stuff that you've come to expect from a superhero movie."

He also talks about casting the title role and what the costume may look like. You can find those audio clips on the right-hand side here.

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Never really followed Captain America in the comics up until he cameo'd in one of JMS's Spider-Man issues- and there really is something incredibly iconic about that character that, without even really knowing him, gives you a sense of honor and greatness worthy of your respect. Now, that initial impression was further confirmed in the subsequent appearances I've seen him in (mainly Avengers Disassembled, Cable & Deadpool, and Civil War). I really hope they manage to grab that impression-making presence of the character.

3. Panther50

Panther50 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 7, 2004
    I've always thought of him as sort of Marvels equalivent of Superman. Hes the hero that sets the example to all the others and who the others all look up to.

4. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Exactly- though more relatable in many ways, being mortal and human.

5. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    I've always liked Cap's "losst in time" quality. He's most interesting to me when he's trying to cope in today's world while still holding onto 1940's values.

EDIT: I think the movie should open with a direct book-to-film interpritation of Ultimates #1. Would make for a great action sequence!

6. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    care to refresh some minds on that? ;)

7. Rebel_Spook

Rebel_Spook Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2002
    I hope they stay far away from the "Ultimates" version of Captain America, it goes so much against what he had been established as a character!

8. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002
    It's late into WWII and the Allies are striking a secret German base on an island in the North Atlantic. They're preparing to launch a nuclear missile. Cap leads paratroopers into the base as the countdown for the rocket goes off. Cap manages to jump on the rocket as it launches and rides it up into the sky and prematurley blows up it. The explosion knocks him into the ocean where he is frozen.

My description really doesn't do it justice.

9. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    Ironicaly the last movie had a similar take :p

10. Darth_Pogey

Darth_Pogey Jedi Master star 4

Apr 4, 2005
    I think Captain America is the popular marvel superhero that is least suited to film. First of all his suit issn't exactly gonna be photogenic on screen it would be ridiculous and it would be really tough to redesign it in anyway that isn't laughable. 2nd IMO he's not a very deep character and thereby not very interesting.

11. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    :eek: [face_shame_on_you]

12. redsabreanakin

redsabreanakin Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 16, 2005
    I love Captain America..always have. There's just something badass about him. A movie??? don't know about that, with the big USA and colors...I"m betting it won't do well internationally...I mean...more pro-american stuff by "the arrogant country".

They should just stick to the original storyline, AND that means having Bucky..AND...THIS IS MOST IMPORTANT...HAVING THE SUPER SERUM!!!!. Without the super serum, he's just a man who is capable of doing things that would be impossible for a normal human..Come to think of it... a certain "caped crusader" comes to mind when I say that..but I digress.

Leave it in WW2 and throw in the "Red Skull" and you've got ingrediants for a fantastic movie. No need to contemporize it. They tried that before....and you see how that worked out. I mean...even parts of the tv-movies that came out in the 70's with Reb Brown were better than the crapfest from Cannon with Matt Salinger.

13. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I have not collected a Cap comic in a long, long time, but many of the issues I own are pretty good. For film though, and tv, it has been a sad story. I think that if the film makers caught the aura of films like The Rocketeer, meaning and old serial adventure, but takes it seriously it could come across quite well. Look at the Superman movies, that is one silly assed costume. Done right, if Superman can be done then Captain America can be done.

I would wonder who they could get for the lead. Cap is 6'2" and 240lbs. But I suppose if Hugh Jackman can pull off Wolverine then a blonde guy in shape who can act could pull off Cap. The Capatain America I used to read was a very deep character, and an actor has some good material to work with.

14. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    that's a good question on who could play him. although i'm more concerned with a director for it

15. Rebel_Spook

May 14, 2002
    I kind of have to agree that Captain America might not really be a Marvel character that can make the move to the big screen. Other than Batman (and I've never liked the look of his cowl), no comic movies that have done well had full-costumed characters.

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    [image=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/2/2d/Movie_poster_spiderman_2.jpg/200px-Movie_poster_spiderman_2.jpg]

17. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    You speak powerfully without words.

18. Rebel_Spook

May 14, 2002
    OK, first notice that I said "no comic movies that have done well", and second Spiderman has his whole head/face covered not exposing his mouth/chin area. Read, fellas...

19. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    and that's not full costumed?o_O

anyway i'm throwing this out there. Oliver Stone or David Fincher for director?

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Uh, yeah- that's why I chose Spider-Man, since it has done well and is the most successful of the genre on top of that.

He's fully costumed, pal. Having a mouth exposed doesn't really change that- he's still masked and suited.

Actually, his costume really isn't all that different from Spider-Man's. Take the movie Spider-Man's costume, shift the positions of the red and blue, add the stripes of white, change the web pattern to the (what i assume is) eagle feathers (or even drop them if desired), add gloves and a belt and viola- it's Cap's suit.

21. Master_Jedi80

Master_Jedi80 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 27, 2005
    ive never really read any Captn America Comics, and dont know much about his compelte story.

but the idea of a Captn America movie sounds great to me.

i love the idea of a WWII hero facing today;s reality...

I also think, if the costume was done with a red like the new superman "red" as opposed to the old superman "bright red" it could pull off that modern dangerous look as opposed to a campy style. I love his costume.

I agree, this movie may not sell well over seas, its interesting to think about and i wonder if the creators will take that into consideration while making the story, and how will that effect it?

i recently saw the Ultimate Avenger's cartoon movie, and the beginning of that movei was almost exactly the same as the "Ultimate" story described. Needless to say, i loved Captn America's character and plot in that, so im excited for a big screen adaptation.

the question i have is, who will be the villain. Will it be a super villain like the Red Scull?
    or will it be a human villain, like a general or some bad guy with a lot of weapons.
    who else is a main enamy of captn America?

22. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    Red Skull would be the most likely villain to be used to start off

23. Master_Jedi80

Master_Jedi80 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 27, 2005
    that would definately make sense.
    but i am thinking of the Superman Films, and there has been 5 made, but they havent ever really added in a Braniac or Deathstar...they mostly* just keep to the old "Lex Luthor& antics" villains... (*yes they had Zod & friends in II)

so i wonder if the Captn America movie would have a Red Skull or if theyd keep it like a militant
    regime with a nuke as opposed to a super villain...

its interesting to think about, and i hope they have thge Red Skull...

24. Sniper_Wolf

Sniper_Wolf Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2002
    I never really followed 616 Captain, but I really enjoy the Ultimate version. Flick could be really interesting.

25. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002
    How well do the Captain America comics sell overseas? Is there a noticable dip when compared to other books of similar popularity in the US? This may gage how well the movie could do outisde the US.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.