main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Captain America - Speculation and Discussion ***Spoilers***

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Jedi_Master_Conor, Jul 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    yeah. Captain America has to have that commanding voice. something like the master chief from Halo which sticks out

2. Cannon_Fodder

Cannon_Fodder Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 25, 2006
    While I'm personally champing at the bit to see JMS take on Cap, especially since the man himself has stated that he loves the character, Brubaker is currently handling Cap so well that I don't want him to ever leave.

3. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Today I was thinking of bullets. The usual scenario in a Cap comic is that the bullets fly, he holds up his shield while charging n or dodging away, the bullets get deflected, then Cap jumps in and clobbers a group of gun-toting villains. Even though I'm all for an early 20th century serial aura about a Cap flick, there is a simple bit of realism, or at least it will help in suspension of disbelief, if the richochet of the bullets sends those bullets back in the general direction of those who fired them.
    In this way Cap can more easiler, and a bit more realistically, take down hordes of gunmen since their on bullets become a hassle for them. This just came to me as a read something the other day on a fansite where it is described that the vibranium in the Shield absorbs impact to a great degree which allows Cap to take punches from heavy hitters like the Hulk without breaking every bone in his body from the impact of a 100 ton punch.

On another note, as I was watching Saving Private Ryan the other day, the leadership and tactical knowledge shown by Tom Hanks' character should be something the film makers and actor portraying Cap should pay very close attention to.

Yeah, I'm a big nerd who actually thinks about these things. :-B

4. Cannon_Fodder

Cannon_Fodder Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 25, 2006
    Pssh. Had Cap been in that movie, he would have defended that bridge all by himself, and done so in record time, leaving Tom Hanks with nothing more than a slack-jawed expression on his face. ;)

5. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Since he worked for the Red Skull in the comics, Crossbones needs to have a good onscreen battle with Cap.

[image=http://www.silverbulletcomicbooks.com/news/images/0602/cap16.jpg]

6. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005

as much as I like Tom Hanks I can't see him or the character he played being used style wise for Captain America

7. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    I meant very specifically the display of tactical knowledge shown on the battlefield. I didn't intend to say that Cap should be based upon Hanks or his character in that movie.

8. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    my mistake [face_blush]

i know it's at least 2 years away, but i'd like to hear some news about the development of the film. mainly who is directing and who will play the captain

9. Sn4tcH

Sn4tcH Jedi Master star 4

Oct 22, 2004
    I recently read that "Captain America comics are at their best when he is at odds with the country he serves". I agree with this, In Civil War, Captain America is awesome. Right after 9/11 Captain America became awesome on through even when he was at odds with the US. He's at his best when he is conflicted, and I hope they don't just go, "Hey! The Red Skull is a Nazi, and I hated Nazis!" Because I have a feeling that instead of being a really good movie, we'll end up with something along the lines of Fantastic Four or Daredevil. But personally, I believe if it's done the right way, Captain America could be just as good as Batman Begins or Spider-man.

10. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    To expand upon what Sn4tch said, I think an excellent foil for Captain America, besides the Red Skull (of course) would be the Super-Patriot and/or the Scourge.

The Super-Patriot is everything that Cap stands for....taken too far. It could be a very compelling story about the dangers of extremism. Likewise, a Scourge story could speak out against vigillantism.

11. Sn4tcH

Oct 22, 2004
    I never even thought about The Super-Patriot. He would be an excellent choice.

12. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I'm not familair with Cap's rogues gallery, but based on that description, the Super-Patriot would be a great choice for a story relevant to today.

13. OBI-BEN-KENOBI

OBI-BEN-KENOBI Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 13, 2004
    I'd like to see them use winter soldier.

14. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998

Part of the problem with a Captain America film is that a good Captain America film is one that comments on America and where it stands in the world.

In my opinion, the best Captain America film would open with an opening like Ultimates 1, then fast forward to the future - no date mentioned, but obviously a few years into our future. I'd put Red Skull in the US government (under an alias) driving American foreign policy. Basically, America has taken over Iraq, Iran, North Korea, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, etc, and the main moral thrust of the movie would be that America intervening to help people is good, but America needs to draw a line somewhere. Red Skull would have essentially tricked America into becoming an Imperialistic power.

15. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    If held to one movie I could see Red Skull using Crossbones. Super Patriot and Flag Smasher could come in if sequals come along. If it is all set up in a trilogy, as I said before, I would want the whole first film set in WW2, then Crossbones, Super Patriot, and Flag Smasher could come in the latter two films with the Red Skull in all three.

16. Sn4tcH

Oct 22, 2004
    You'd have to have a whole movie to set up Bucky as a character before you could even think about using Winter Soldier.

17. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    I'm not too up on the Flag Smasher, but it sounds like they'd have to do a stellar writing job for him not to sound completely hokey.

18. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    You know who would be a great Captain America? Tahmoh Penikett, Helo on Battlestar Galactica. He has a great bearing, looks the part, etc.

19. Darth-Kevin-Thomas

Darth-Kevin-Thomas Jedi Master star 5

Sep 27, 2002
    Me any my firends have talked about a cap to movie type deal. We can never really pinpoint a person that would be really good to play him. It's tough because he has to be super tough and be able to take a beating but still be the shy soldier out of battle.

I'm all for giving it an Ultimates opening. It worked well for the animated movie and I think it would translate to film easy. Last rumor I heard, Red Skull was going to be played by John Malcovich. But, that was just a rumor. I also think it is essential to see some quick tactics and battle plans being made in the middle of battle, cap jumping in, chaos ensue and cap be the last man standing.

Seeing witer soldier would be cool. I could see that working good. I think the plot would work best in a modern era with modern problems. We'll have to see.

dkt

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    New info

-Captain America will be the next Marvel movie after The Incredible Hulk, and is aimed for 2009.
    -Presently story is about 50/50 period/present

Robert (IESB): How will you tackle the challenge that America is not perceived so well across the world and youâ??re putting the champion of Americaâ?¦is it going to be traditional red, white and blue spandex, shield - the whole thing?

Well I think weâ??ll certainly have to play with that and play with Captain America being this patriotic propaganda machine on one hand but also being a very human Steve Rogers â?? interesting, fascinating hero in his own right. The good news is Marvel is perceived pretty well around the world right now and I think putting another uber Marvel hero into the worldwide box office will be a good thing. The script that David Self is writing, the director that we end up hiring, and certainly weâ??re going into it with our eyes open and these are all things that we have to deal with much the same way that Captain America when thawed from the Arctic Ice entered a world he didnâ??t recognize and had to deal with changesâ?¦ whether it was when Stan did it in the early 60â??s and that world that Steve Rogers was coming into or the world of 2009.

21. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
  22. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    "Captain Awesome" from Chuck should be Captain America.

23. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    Not an interesting choice. Joe Johnston is mediocre at best. You Conor the one who hated JP 3 with a passion should be the first to know

24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    To be fair- JP3 wasn't Joe's fault as that movie was literally being written on set as they filmed.

I think it's an excellent, if unexpected, choice. Think about it- it's going to be a mostly WW2 film supposedly, with Cap fighting Nazis and such. Well, Joe directed The Rocketeer and did FX work and storyboarding for scenes in Raiders of the Lost Ark. That seems about right on target for what people want out of a Cap film, I think.

Also, there's some great symmetry here: Jon Favareu's last movie he directed before he did Iron Man was Zathura, a semi-sequel to Jumanji, directed by by Joe Johnston.

And now? Joe Johnston will be directing a semi-sequel/prequel to Iron Man, directed by Jon Favareu.

25. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    I agree with Drac that Johnston's directorial work is mostly mediocre, but his high points -- Rocketeer, October Sky and perhaps Hidalgo -- are very good indeed. He's a workmanlike director, capable and competent rather than visionary, but then again so is Jon Favreau. I think that as long as the Cap script is good, Joe will deliver the goods.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.