main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "On your left." - Captain America (Brave New World)

Discussion in 'Community' started by gonzoforce, Nov 9, 2008.

1. gonzoforce

gonzoforce Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 27, 2002
    The director is Joe Johnston, who directed The Rocketeer and October Sky, so he's good in my book.
    here's the article http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/news/e3i2a6531019c4147a66e0beb044b64e1be

and here's some of his other films:
    Jumangi
    Honey I Shrunk the Kids
    Jurrasic Park III

he also worked on Raiders of the Lost Ark and designed some of the vehicles for the orignal trilogy.

good to know the film is set in World War II.

2. Lurking_Around

Lurking_Around Jedi Knight star 6

May 26, 2002
    On the one hand, "The Rocketeer", very enjoyable movie. On the other hand, "Jurassic Park 3", mediocre at best.

Oh well, it won't be another Iron-Man or even 'The Incredible Hulk' but it'll be adequate methinks.

3. gonzoforce

Feb 27, 2002
    October Sky was great too.

CloneUncleOwen likes this.
  4. Spiderfan

Spiderfan Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 9, 2004
    Given Favreau's body of work prior to Iron Man, particularly Elf, I wasn't left with a lot of confidence prior to seeing the film, but he demonstrated ability to make an above average film based on a relatively unknown character. So I am willing to give Johnston the benefit of the doubt.

5. slimybug

slimybug Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 14, 2001
    This is awesome! Joe Johnston kicks ass! I mean, come on guys, this guy helped design the fighters for the original Star Wars! And who doesn't love the Rocketeer? Jurassic Park III? Okay, that was stupid considering it was the third Jurassic Park film, but come on, he directed it as well as anyone could!

I'm super-exited about this now. I'm still skeptical about the film's subject matter (that's for another time), but boy, what a great choice for a director! [face_dancing]

Man, Marvel's really stepping it up!

Slimy!

6. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    Everything Spiderfan said.

7. Spiderfan

Mar 9, 2004
    o_O I can't help but wonder what about the subject matter you are skeptical about given that its not even written yet. :p

8. SLR

SLR Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 20, 2002
    Dude, Elf was freakin' hysterical.

9. Spiderfan

Mar 9, 2004
    No argument there. I loved Elf. But the subject matter of Elf is radically different from that of Iron Man so it seemed suspect to have the same director be responsible for a relatively unknown superhero, especially when he had never dealt with a project of that scope before. The point being that he proved my doubts wrong and was not only able to make a decent superhero flick, he managed to make one of the best superhero flicks that sadly got overshadowed by the outrageous success and hype of the Dark Knight. So I am willing to give Johnston the same benefit of the doubt despite Jurassic Park 3, and other films people may protest.

10. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    I think this must be one of the most difficult Marvel adaptations. The bright, colourful costume (which I loved as a kid, esp. when drawn by Kirby), the idealistic, non-cynical stance, the metal shield that has to convincingly fly through the air without looking magical... tricky, all of it. And if you mess with the costume like they did in the 40's film, it just isn't Captain America.

11. Spiderfan

Mar 9, 2004
    These are reason I am hoping they take a closer look at Mark Millar's Ultimates work, as that addressed a variety of issues relating to the character, including the costume IMO.

As for the non-cynical aspect, I think it can work in period piece setting particularly given the era its set in if its not pushed to far. And I think it will make an interesting juxtapositon when he wakes up in the modern era to find a very different age.

I mean how would Steve Rogers react to wake up with Black President? :p

12. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Taken out of context, that's a whole other storline.:p But I know what you mean.

I think a more interesting question is how would Steve Rogers cope with finding out that Germany is now one of the good guys again, and that America defeated Japan by dropping the atom bomb on two cities?

13. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Johnston seems like a good choice. JP3 seems to be the only dark spot on his record. All his other films are of fairly high quality. As for the subject matter, the idealistic view and colorful costume could easily work IMO. Captain America is wartime propaganda personified. Think of an old timey newsreel narrator talking about Cap's exploits and it just fits to perfectly.

14. slimybug

slimybug Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 14, 2001
    The fact hat the film is set entirely in WWII, and will not feature him being frozen and waking up in our time. I think that's just stupid.

Slimy!

15. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    They are saving that for Avengers. The movie will probably end with Cap frozen. I think it's a good move.

16. gonzoforce

Feb 27, 2002
    The Rocketeer-a guy fighing nazis during world war II, sound familiar? now if he can get Jennifer Connely to be in this film. She was in The Rocketeer.

and I love October Sky, another great period film.

Honey I shrunk the Kids was a favorite of mine when I was younger. was 11 when it came out in the theaters.

it makes sense to have him frozen at the end of the film and be woken up for The Avenger film.

17. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I wonder if they'll go with the Super Soldier Serum, when a large amount of high profile American athletes are entangled with steroids abuse. I mean, Steve Rodges originally was a puny stick figure of a man and wasn't even considered infantry material.

I thought because of the recent Hulk film, the movie Captain America would have been spun off the "Abomination" experiment.

18. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    ...You're kidding,right? The Abomination in the movie was spun off from the Captain America experiment.

19. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    [image=http://images.art.com/images/products/regular/10048000/10048327.jpg] [image=http://www.scifimoviepage.com/images/rocket3.jpg]
    =P~

20. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    The Hulk movie really didn't go into detail about the serum. And I wasn't going to assume anything, with the way Hollywood adapts things for the silver-screen, as the comic book version of the Abomination was created by gamma radiation and not serum.

21. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Well, there's the "Weapon Plus" and "Dr. Erskine" labels in the serum tubes, but you're right. It could amount to nothing but an easter egg.

22. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    Yeah, but the point is, in the movie, they call it the super soldier project and everything, even referencing WWII. It, like the final scene with Stark, was a precursor to Marvel's upcoming movie projects.

23. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Being a geek for Marvel comics, that was my first thought, but you never know how these things will turn out.

It still would be interesting if the Super Soldier Serum creates controversy with all the steroid scandals in the news. Marvel's target audience has been tradionally children. To have a 90 pound weakling take a shot and then become a 6 foot, 235 pound (estimate) super hero, may be too close to steriods.

24. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    I'd say that would get too confusing since she was Betty Ross only five years ago, but then Jon Favreau went from Foggy in Daredevil to Happy Hogan in Iron Man in the same amount of time.

Of course, I'm tired of the unspoken rule that every superhero film HAS to have some sort of romantic interest. Even Batman and Robin had Elle MacPherson as Bruce Wayne's beard, ON TOP OF Poison Ivy as the villain.

25. TheGuardianofArlon

TheGuardianofArlon Jedi Master star 6

Feb 26, 2007
    I'll wait for the movie to give my opinion of it.