Amph Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Discussion in 'Community' started by gonzoforce, Nov 9, 2008.

1. darth_boy Jedi Master

star 7
    It was ok, better than Thor.
  2. slimybug Force Ghost

star 5
    I belive they're talking about S.H.I.E.L.D. [image=http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/4/47341/1809312-shield__4__avengers_movie_set_super.jpg]

Slimy!
  3. Ramza JC Head Admin and RPF Manager

Administrator
    star 7
    No, we were talking about the shield.
    [image=http://captain-america.us/images/capwallpaper2/CapShield.jpg]
  4. ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Grand Master

star 8
  5. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    Dorman's Vader vs Cap

[image=http://davedorman.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/darth-vader-v-captain-america.jpg]
  6. Ramza JC Head Admin and RPF Manager

Administrator
    star 7
    Bah, wouldn't a vibranium shield - capable of absorbing all vibrations - be able to block a lightsaber by canceling out the waves that make up the -*Punches himself*

Cool picture.
  7. Spider-Fan Force Ghost

star 4
    I found this fascinating: Apparently Captain America has now officially made more overseas than in North America.

Mind you its not an overwhelming amount (about $4.5 million), but it certainly seems counter to all the bluster and concern leading up to the film about how it could tank overseas due to its perceived pro-American leanings (though I thought the movie did a wonderful job of balancing that). Again its not that significant a difference either way, but its nice to see that people, regardless of nationality seemed to take interest in the film and its characters.
  8. Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus

star 7
    This relentless churning out of mediocre but reasonably entertaining comic book movies has had the effect of creating a begrudging overseas audience for comic book movies. X Men 4 made $350 worldwide this summer (about 2X budget), Captain America has made $350 million worldwide (2x budget). Thor made $450 million worldwide, so 3x budget - the only one of the three that has been marginally profitable given the huge marketing outlays for these films. I guess Thor's thin connection to European culture gave it an extra push.
  9. Jabba-wocky Chosen One

star 8
    I don't disagree with your larger point, which Even has also harped on at some length. But I think you're being unfair with your list of movies there. I'd agree that Captain America was a pretty roundly awful (at best, extremely mediocre) movie. But X-Men: First Class was by pretty much all accounts a good film. It was certainly well-reviewed, its actors have had their profiles raised off the strength of performances offered, and word of mouth, if not enough to buoy the film, certainly trended more positive than negative. I think that this was a quality film suffering from franchise fatigue. It doesn't deserve to be lumped in with other warmed over garbage like Thor, Captain America, and Green Lantern.
  10. Im_just_guessing Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    Wocky, would you have liked Captain America more if it had focused on Isaiah Bradley?
  11. Jabba-wocky Chosen One

star 8
    I have no idea who Isaiah Bradley is or was, so probably not. Unless he's a completely different superhero that affords better character development, plot, enemies, and dialogue.
  12. Im_just_guessing Jedi Grand Master

star 7
  13. Jabba-wocky Chosen One

star 8
    And that answers exactly none of the questions I just asked.
  14. Im_just_guessing Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    Once again your inability to look anything up on google or wikipedia brings conversations to a stand still.
  15. Jabba-wocky Chosen One

star 8
    Unless you just pulled that name out of a hat, there was some reason that you thought my opinion about this character might've been different than my opinion about Captain America. The best way to facilitate that conversation would have been simply to ask directly about those points.

As it is, no, I have no desire to see a ham-fisted attempt by a comic book movie to take on something like Tuskegee.
  16. Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus

star 7
    I missed all the comic book movies in theaters this summer, but I did catch X Men 4 last night, and you're right, it's not half bad. It's not great either, maybe got raves merely for being a bit better than the first three. Jennifer Lawrence brought some depth to the part of the blue lizard girl, and Rose Byrne walked around in her underwear for fifteen minutes. There was plenty to enjoy.
  17. Jedi Merkurian Episode VII Thread-Reaper and Rumor Naysayer

Manager
    star 6
    Apparently, Hayley Atwell was genuinely mesmerized by his chest cavity and couldn't help herself. The director loved the take, and....
  18. slimybug Force Ghost

star 5
    I read that somewhere, and the person was like "I wonder how well it would have gone over had it been Atwell shirtless and Evans copping a feel."

Slimy!
  19. Lazy Storm Trooper Force Ghost

star 4
    This movie is releasing five days before my birthday. :)

Trailer:

This movie is looking pretty good and I am excited for it. :D

EDIT: @The2ndQuest did not read your post in the Marvel thread before creating this. Sorry.[/media]

EDIT: Trailer is not working for some reason.
    Last edited by The2ndQuest, Oct 23, 2013
  20. Lazy Storm Trooper Force Ghost

star 4
    If any mods can fix the opening post and add the trailer and poster it would be greatly appreciated.
  21. I Are The Internets Chosen One

star 7
    YOU BROKE THE INTERWEBS DAMN YOU
  22. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    Moving and bumping this- I thought we had a Winter Solider thread already, but I cannot find it. If it pops up, we'll merge this into that, but for now, with the poster and tweaser up, and the trailer to follow tomorrow, we can use this one.

EDIT- Also merged the one other thread in here.

Also, the new poster:

[IMG]

As well as the teaser poster from a couple months ago:

[IMG]
    Last edited by The2ndQuest, Oct 23, 2013
  23. Juke Skywalker Force Ghost

star 5
    Thanks for posting the teaser and poster images everyone. I'm definitely curious to see the full-trailer. Being a huge fan of 1991's The Rocketeer, I felt like Joe Johnston was a really good fit for the first Captain America, and he turned in a very solid effort IMO. But I was a little concerned when they hired the guys who directed You, Me and Dupree for the sequel. I'm keeping an open mind, though.
  24. I Are The Internets Chosen One

star 7
    Maybe in the sequel, Tony Stark is out of a job and has to live with Steve and his girlfriend in their apartment causing great discomfort for everyone?
    Juke Skywalker likes this.
  25. soitscometothis Force Ghost

star 5
    ^I smell sit-com. I think I'd throw in Loki as their evil landlord, and Lockjaw as their wacky pet who transports them to adventures at inconvenient times in their social schedule.