main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "On your left." - Captain America (Brave New World)

Discussion in 'Community' started by gonzoforce, Nov 9, 2008.

1. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Oh, man, really?! That's . . . awesome. I love me some Toby Jones.

2. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    There's always a bigger Thanos

3. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Given the premise as implied by the trailer, who I'd love to see in the next Cap movie would be the Super Patriot/U.S. Agent. Of course, I've been saying that ever since they announced that there would be Captain America movies :p However, the concern would be that such a movie would be a re-tread of Winter Soldier.

4. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    So Thanos is Thanos's Thanos for Thanos?

5. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

No, that's Death.

6. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I thought Death was just a metaphorical concept that Thanos is infatuated with. Is Death an actual character in these?

7. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

His girlfriend.

8. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
  9. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    From a certain point of view

10. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Don't tell Deadpool.

Darth_Smeagol and The2ndQuest like this.
  11. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Deadpool can do anything since he's a literal Deus ex Machina.

12. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Thanos had a crush on Death before Neil Gaiman made it trendy.

13. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Saw the latest trailer during Thor 2. I did not notice before there appears to be a fleet of helicarriers. It showed the entire elevator fight in the trailer which at first I thought was a bit too much to show, but then it doesn't spoil much and it just means I'll see it more than once.

14. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah that was a good choice for them to use in the extended preview- something you'd want to see again, as opposed to just a 5 min chunk that would leave you with A/V déjà vu in April.

15. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    I have labored over Captain America's strength level....because I am a giant nerd like that.

In the last Olympics when Bolt won his races an item came out that if a human being could have his muscles fibers taken to their biomechanical limits(something not possible without genetic tampering) they could sprint at a bit over 40 mph. Bolt was moving in the 20's. The top sprinters in the world get up ober 20mph.

In the Handbooks Of The Marvel Universe it states that Cap can lift 800 pounds over his head. I always took this as a clean and jerk, not a "press" as stated since the abilty to press any weight, regardless if it is a bench press or curl or squat is not a good indicator of hitting power. Arnold Schwarzenegger could at one time bench press 500 pounds. He is athletic to a degree, an avid swimmer, skier, former military, some stunt training, soccer, etc. Make no mistake he could bust teeth out of your face. Anyone over 200 pounds hits hard, and someone with that strength will have worked indirectly their fast twitch muscles.

But when you look at Olympic lifters it is not only a pressing strength but a quick athletic movement to get that weight up, hence a better indicator of power. In the last Olympics this one dude at 206 pound C&J 530 pounds. This dude can't beat a Tyson in his prime, but he can probably hit as hard.

So, Cap at biomechanical limits leaves all this behind. He might actually be able to simply press over his head 800 pounds, but using twice Bolt speed as an indicator...twice as fast, he may also be able to clean and jerk twice as much as any Olympic lifter. The current record is 585 pounds. If Cap is twice this at 1170 then his ability to stand up to gods and superpowered beings makes just as tad more sense. His bone, ligament, and muscle density would be ridiculous. He can probably take a bullet like I can take a bee sting. His punches might travel at a couple of hundred miles per hour, he'd hit you before you knew he moved. this is why Cap can fight Wolverine and hold his own despite Logan's adamantium bones and regeneration.

I put way too much thought into this stuff...with happiness.

16. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    So, do you like movies about gladiators?

Jokes apart, I saw the trailer in the big screen and it looked fantastic. I think this is going to be the jewel of Phase Two.

17. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    It will certainly be bigger in terms of scale, with potentially a much better villain.

18. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    I liked the Red Skull and could have listened to him talk for 2 hours.

19. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Red Skull is a great villain, but I didn't rate Hugo Weaving's performance of him. The accent sounded awkward and he didn't seem like he was that interested in the whole thing really. That is what let the movie down for me, and why I regard it as one of the weaker movies of Phase One.

But this one does seem like it will be better, though it's hard to judge from a trailer.

20. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    I went back to look, and did not see this mentioned. But one of the dudes in the elevator....(big spoiler)

Is Frank Grillo who is also seen when Cap jumps out of the aircraft without a parachute. He is going to be Crossbones. I saw this totally by accident, and didn't want to see it, but there it is.

It was cast in march so i feel like it must have been posted before but I didn't see it.

21. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I really hope slj doesn't die.

Juliet316 likes this.
  22. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    I wouldn't mind if he does die.

Because...
    [​IMG]

That being said....I still want a standalone War Machine movie.

23. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    No that wouldn't work if RDJ doesn't come back.

Lazy Storm Trooper likes this.
  24. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005

If it tops the wonderful Iron Man Three I'll be truly astonished.

25. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    I thought Iron Man was beter than IM3, and First Avenger was just as good as Iron Man.