main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "On your left." - Captain America (Brave New World)

Discussion in 'Community' started by gonzoforce, Nov 9, 2008.

1. DT421

DT421 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2003
    Anybody else see Cap in the deleted alternate opening to the Incredible Hulk?

2. Lurking_Around

Lurking_Around Jedi Knight star 6

May 26, 2002
    Cool, I look forward to Cap sacrificing himself and screaming For Americaaaa! And for Aslaaaan!

Also cool if Red Skull gets two sword.

[face_flag]

3. slimybug

slimybug Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 14, 2001
    That's utter crap. Basically, when the ice is breaking up, there's a slight black blur in one of the pieces, and people are now yelling "Ooh! Ooh! That's Captain America!"

Slimy!

4. Spiderfan

Spiderfan Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 9, 2004
    I seem to recall there being press about a Cap cameo that was cut from the movie around the time of the opening, so I don't think the statement is untrue. Unfortunately its incredibly vague and if you weren't looking for it you wouldn't likely see it but I don't believe its a a bunch of delusional fans.

Then again I haven't had a chance to check out the Blu Ray yet so who knows.

5. slimybug

Aug 14, 2001
    I think you misunderstood me. I think the producers actually stated that it was Cap, because otherwise no one would have ever noticed it. I was just saying that for them to actually make that little blur and say that it's Cap just to titillate fanboys is utterly ridiculous. They should have made SOMETHING visible there!

Slimy!

6. Spiderfan

Spiderfan Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 9, 2004
    My apologies then, I read that as a statement against fanboy delusions not the producers.

7. DT421

Nov 6, 2003
    [image=http://www.filmschoolrejects.com/images/captain-america-hulk-2.jpg]

Article

8. DT421

Nov 6, 2003
  9. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Johnston Talks Captain America

It's not going to be a Captain America that you expect. It's something different. It is influenced by the comic book, but it goes off in a completely different direction. It's the origin story of Captain America. It's mostly period?there are modern, present-day bookends on it?but it's basically the story of how Steve Rogers becomes Captain America. The great thing about Captain America is he's a super hero without any super powers. Which is why this story, among the hundreds of super hero stories, appealed to me the most. He can't fly, he can't see through walls, he can't do any of that stuff. He's an every man who's been given this amazing gift of transformation into the perfect specimen?the pinnacle of human perfection. How does that affect him? What does that mean for him emotionally and psychologically? He was this 98-pound weakling, he was this wimp, and he's transformed instantly into this Adonis. You'd think he got everything he wanted. Well, he didn't get everything he wanted. The rules change at that point and his life gets even more complicated and dire. For me, that's the interesting part of the story. It's got some great action sequences in it and some incredible stuff that we've never seen before. But at the heart of it, it's a story about this kid who all he wants to do is fit in. This thing happens and he still doesn't fit in. And he has to prove himself a hero?essentially go AWOL to save a friend...

10. -Phoenix-

-Phoenix- Jedi Master star 5

Oct 21, 2005
    Well with my limited Cap knowledge, that sounds pretty cool to me. Any enthusiasts out there with an opinion?

I am happy that it is a period piece however, I think that's the coolest thing they could do. And someone mentioned that they don't want a Saving Private Ryan, with all the muted colours. While that may be true, a Saving Private Ryan in terms of action and overall quality would be awesome.

Although the "only influenced by the comic book and goes off in a different direction" part is probably concerning.

11. slimybug

Aug 14, 2001
    I have high hopes for this movie. Just the fact that Joe Johnston is directing is just so awesome. I mean, that just fits. Like a glove. Like a specially tailored glove. Like a specially tailored glove forged by the elves for one man in particular.

So yeah, Johnston's a good choice to direct Cap.

Slimy!

12. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    As long as Steve Rogers is still Steve Rogers... Considering Iron Man and The Incredible Hulk, I'm willing to trust Marvel Studios on this. They're not going to screw with such an iconic character.

13. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    It's mostly period?there are modern, present-day bookends on it?

YES! I am beyond thrilled that they seem to be avoiding the stupid "End it on a cliffhanger as he gets frozen to segue into Avengers" schtick everyone was talking about for so long.

14. DT421

Nov 6, 2003
    It should be, because it describes the 1990 movie pretty well. That one started off pretty good and then quickly turned into a 'made for tv' feeling cornball fest. :p

Why do you consider that stupid? And the last part - "And he has to prove himself a hero?essentially go AWOL to save a friend..." - tells me that it might end up that way in a possible attempt to save Bucky.

EDIT: And here's a link to the 1990 movie for anyone that hasn't seen it - LINK

15. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Period piece Cap origin story...exactly what I wanted. So far, so good.

16. -Phoenix-

Oct 21, 2005
    So, I'm also assuming his shield will be that classic coat-of-arms kind of thing, or do you think maybe they'll just skip that and make it round like the modern one? The former would be best, but having it fly through the air will have to be done pretty convincingly so it's not cheesy. Using the round one would break continuity, especially since we see Cap's round shield being developed by Stark in Iron Man (maybe it's just an upgrade?), but then the shield effects would probably be easier.

Ah, this is just me talking out loud. :p

17. Robal_Krahl

Robal_Krahl Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 23, 2003
    I'm hoping for the coat of arms type shield. It can be convincingly done, if hurled point first instead of spun like a disc. If he uses it more as a fist than a distance weapon, that would be awesome.

I'm also hoping for the old costume we saw in volume 1 of The Ultimates. That was a great costume, fitting the time period nicely. I'd love to see them do muted colors, too, but more along the lines of what 300 did.

18. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    I hope the old shield is in, but just as a cameo. Dunno, his first shield that gets smashed during his first action scene, similar to how the Mark I Iron Man armor appeared in the movie. The circular shield is just too iconic, I think.

19. -Phoenix-

Oct 21, 2005
    I now have an awesome image of the pointy shield just being hurled like a bullet point first into a wall for whatever reason.

20. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    As long as they avoid this:

[image=http://cinemuck.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/rebbrown11.jpg]

I think we're good to go.

21. Spider-Fan

Spider-Fan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2008
    So thats why the call them tights!

22. DantheJedi

Aug 23, 2009
    Actually, I was talking more about the motorcycle helmet and the clear plastic shield (I mean, c'mon, it doesn't even come CLOSE to looking like the one hanging on the set of Stephen Colbert's show), but yeah, there's that, too.

23. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    That could actually be really cool if they didn't mute Cap's colors. He would be a beacon of Red, White, And Blue to bring hope to soldiers in the front. Maybe you don't do the whole movie like that but a few shots here and there could be very effective.n You just don't want to overdo it.

24. slimybug

Aug 14, 2001
    So Joe Johnston says the role of Cap will be cast before March 1st, and probably within the next couple of weeks! He also says he wants to cast an unknown, and surround him with more well-known talent.

Sounds good to me!

Slimy!

25. DantheJedi

Aug 23, 2009