main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "On your left." - Captain America (Brave New World)

Discussion in 'Community' started by gonzoforce, Nov 9, 2008.

1. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    The only other movie between here and Avengers: AoU is GotG, right? Is it just me or have they done far less this time around of setting anything up for that? Winter Soldier--and IM3 and Thor:TDW--are very insular. The stinger for Thor is seemingly for either Guardians or Av3ngers, and IM's is just played for laughs. Now we see
    Loki's staff and the twins, and what? What does that tell us exactly? What does Strucker have to do with Ultron? Are they covering it in AoS? This isn't going to be like the comics where you pick up the latest Avengers and the cover is splayed with "Age of Ultron!" and the issue picks up right where five other titles left off is it?

2. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    Yeah I was bothered by that at first, with Avengers she came across as dislikable but I dunno between AoS and TWS something just clicked and I liked her all of a sudden.

3. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I think Iron Man 3 and Captain 2 did set up Age of Ultron, but we can't fully see it fleshed out yet.

It pretty well known on nerd boards that
    Ultron is a born out of Stark tech. A rogue or corrupted Jarvis program.
    which may have been a result of Tony Stark blowing up his armory. We don't know if the Winter Soldier will appear in Avengers 2, but after Cap 2, SHIELD may not be up and running and Fury still might be underground. Basically, the world have changed after Cap 2 and I think it will have an impact on Avengers 2.

heels1785 and TrandoJedi like this.
  4. TrandoJedi

May 4, 2011
    I'm thinking AoS could possibly be the bridge to TWS to AoU, I don't see how else they are going to set it up if they are going to at all.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  5. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    The screenwriters forgot?

6. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I think it's got a fine set up. Were the Chitauri really set up in a big way for Avengers? Tony's destroyed his armory; Loki's replaced Odin; SHIELD is down; Fury's presumed dead and underground. That's a lot of set up for the new Avengers, isn't it? A big threat appears and things are really very, very different than they were for the first Avengers film. And they still have GotG to set up some more cosmic stuff if they want to. I think some set-up will happen in AoS, but I also kinda feel that they've done a good job putting the universe in a very, very different place for this next Avengers movie. I mean, that's a huge amount of change when you think about it: no Iron Man armory, No SHIELD, No Fury. All in all, I'd hardly call TWS or IM3 "insular." They have some huge things that'll have huge impacts on the larger universe come next Avengers.

I hope.

Merlin_Ambrosius69 likes this.
  7. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Well considering SHIELD is being rebuilt under Director Coulson...

8. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    If only Agents of SHIELD knew the plot hooks it needed to lead into for Avengers: Age of Ultron and could build a season-long thing to coincide with the release of the movie (01-May, 2015) which happens to coincide with May sweeps and their season finale...

9. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    It seems like everyone in Phase II is getting screwed over.

10. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    The aliens in the first movie didn't need to be set-up. They were endlessly re-spawning video game enemies that ultimately weren't even that significant in the plot of their own movie. Next to know rationale for their actions or existence was ever provided. Given that they were just there to get beaten/blown up, zero introduction was exactly the right tone. Most of the set-up for the first film was about introducing the general public to these fairly obscure characters.

One hopes that for the second film, they move on to a story with an actual plot beyond "big stupid one hour action scene finale." That would require some sort of set-up. But I guess I wouldn't hold my breath.

EDIT: Also, the suggestion about the Avengers show seems highly unlikely. They've so far tried to keep even the other films in the series optional viewing. They're not going to make it mandatory to watch a full season of an hour long American television show just to understand what's happening in the movie.

11. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002

Thor seems pretty happy.

12. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    That's because Loki has him fooled.

KissMeImARebel and Juliet316 like this.
  13. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    He has a different kind of screwing happening ...

Yodaminch likes this.
  14. TrandoJedi

May 4, 2011
    When Agents of SHIELD began I didn't see it as a very I important part of the MCU, by this seasons end though I feel like those avoiding this show are actually missing out on important things that could effect future films. I didn't think AoS would incorporate the stuff from The Winter Soldier as brilliantly as they did. At first I'd didn't think it would work but having the HYDRA stuff I think they could develop some kind of Ultron storyline to help set up Avengers 2 alongside what already has been established. I never thought SLJ would have so much screen time in the finale and I hope they can somehow get the other big heroes to guest star. SLJ wanted to do it, I hope others do.

And that is wonderful! Wouldn't be like the comics if he wasn't fooled! It is Loki!

15. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I think the setup will be more obvious once we see AOU.

Besides the "different stage" points made above (no armory, no legal SHIELD, Loki-Odin, etc) some of the smaller points are starting to be bleed together- TWS's stinger talks about the "age of miracles" and heavily implies HYDRA-related experiments with Loki's staff results in the Twins' powers.

Probably not a coincidence that (AOS finale spoiler)
    "Flowers" seems to have a similar obsession over evolution and "becoming" something new and her research leading towards that end

Meanwhile you've got automated robots being built by Tony and/or operated by JARVIS as well as various AI issues. They were later destroyed but it shows Tony heading towards that end.

We don't know how GOTG will tie in other than it'll have Thanos in some capacity- but whether or not he'll directly affect AOU or remain in the cosmic realm til Phase 3 is yet to be revealed.

Add to that you have AOS season 2 (which has shown it is not afraid to do a major same-week tie-in to movie releases) plus the entire Netflix deal with Daredevil and the Defenders which will no doubt contain some degree of Avengers setup as well.

Probably had to do with her deleted framing narration alternate opening/ending- we were meant to think she's at odds with Fury. Removing those elements just made her seem more stern. However, I actually rather preferred her that way over her lighter TWS/AOS portrayal. But then that just matched up to the pre-Avengers comics I had read with her in them like Invincible Iron Man.

Their introduction (alongside that of The Other and Thanos) was really just setup- a hint at cosmic realms beyond what the Asgardians were involved in and the first stepping stone to that wider comic story to be explored in GOTG and other stories as we crawl towards the over-arcing Thanos three-phase through thread.

16. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    There was set up with the Thor and Loki feud and the introduction of the Tesseract during the WWII era. The motives of the the Chitauri were set up in the first meeting between Loki and the Other, which was that the Chitauri are a race of conquerors and Loki gets the Other and Thanos to start their invasion of the Nine Realms by going to Midgard first, in order for Loki to exact revenge on Thor. "Guardians Of The Galaxy" will further reveal Thanos's motivations.

No, not mandatory. But they're going to use the show to plant the seeds which word of mouth will help clue people in to the bigger picture.

17. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    What's so unlikeable about Maria Hill? She's great. She's no-nonsense and gets the job done.

GenAntilles likes this.
  18. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    A theory I’ve heard that I’m really beginning to warm to is the notion that Ultron is the result of the JARVIS program being corrupted by a rival AI…

Arnim Zola

lbr789 and TrandoJedi like this.
  19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I'm still hoping there'll be a retroactive Pym connection- like Stark uses some research by Pym that he found either amongst his dad's stuff that Fury gave him in IM2 or amongst the SHIELD goodies BW uploaded to the internet, and that ends up corrupting a Jarvis-like Stark AI in some unforeseen way.

Which then gives Pym some setup in time for his tale to be told in the next film released that year.

20. TrandoJedi

May 4, 2011
    Like like like like. I truly hope we have not seen(or heard) the last of Zola. I avoided all TWS spoilers so it was a pleasant surprise seeing that the character still lived...sorta.

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Maybe Zola's AI trying to acquire a Starktech robot body is what leads to Ultron or the Ai takes notes from Ultron to formulate the next/first version of the robot body?

22. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I doubt it's Zola. Didn't Whedon or Fegie make a comment about how they want to make it so you don't have to watch the movies in between Avengers to get/understand/enjoy what's going on? Seems like a dude showing up and living IN really old computer equipment would something you wouldn't just get, naturally.

Now, indirectly, the fall of SHIELD I think will lead to Ultron being needed/requested/created. But I doubt Zola, directly.

23. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    From what I gather some of the Maria hate is in part blowback from the comics' Civil War arc, where she wasn't really likeable in that storyline.

24. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002

I think you're on to something there. Without SHIELD to watch over everyone, and the Avengers only being able to be in so many places, what if Tony took it upon himself to create a solution that deals with these problems? Some sort of Ultimate cop. And so we get Ultron who probably thinks all humans are terrible and therefore need to die and there we are. That could be quite amusing actually if we see a hero Ultron with James Spader's wit.

25. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

Unless something changed from last August, it seems both Wright and Whedon are keeping Ultron separate from Pym.

Probably about right. Then afterwards, this would lead to a much larger Avengers Initiative which sets the stage for additional characters to join up.