main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "On your left." - Captain America (Brave New World)

Discussion in 'Community' started by gonzoforce, Nov 9, 2008.

1. Jedi_Johnson

Jedi_Johnson Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2002
    Pockets on the gloves = fail.

2. DT421

DT421 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2003
    The "A" on the forehead = terrible.

3. Spider-Fan

Spider-Fan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2008
    Actually it's directly pulled from Cap's Ultimates Costume.

4. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Official Press Release

Marvel Studios has officially confirmed that Chris Evans will star as Captain America in the studio?s highly anticipated movie THE FIRST AVENGER: CAPTAIN AMERICA directed by Joe Johnston from a script penned by Christopher Markus & Stephen McFeely.

Marvel Studios? Kevin Feige will produce THE FIRST AVENGER: CAPTAIN AMERICA. Alan Fine, Stan Lee, David Maisel, Stratton Leopold and Louis D?Esposito will executive produce. The film will be released in the US on July 22, 2011 and distributed by Paramount Pictures.

THE FIRST AVENGER: CAPTAIN AMERICA will focus on the early days of the Marvel Universe when Steve Rogers volunteers to participate in an experimental program that turns him into the Super Soldier known as Captain America.

Also:

Sebastian Stan is James Buchanan Barnes, "Bucky":

[image=http://www.comicbookresources.com/assets/images/articles/1270174914.jpg]

5. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    I find him to be a good choice. *two thumbs up*

6. Quixotic-Sith

Quixotic-Sith Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 22, 2001
    Forgive me for not being awash in fanboy knowledge, but what exactly are they avenging?

7. DT421

DT421 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2003
    I like the casting for Bucky. In fact, I think the casting has been great so far, except for, you know, the main character! :p

8. slimybug

slimybug Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 14, 2001
    So the one other guy?

Slimy!

9. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    I'm liking the casting for Bucky. The only disappointment is that I can see Stan as being able to play the Winter Soldier character really well, and we'd be unlikely to see that.

10. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    Yeah, extremely unlikely but... who knows! Buck is quite popular right now and, if they wanted to, they could easily find a role for him. I can see The Winter Soldier becoming the right hand of whoever the villain of Avengers is, for example. Wishful thinking!

11. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Definitely an obvious fake. I sincerely doubt the movie will feature a modern-day costume that's a 100% replica of the Ultimate Cap costume, which IMO is crap. It begs the question, though, as to what costume will he be wearing during his WW2 days? I figure it'll be something of an amalgam between his classic costume and WW2 standard G.I. fatigues (yeah, which is also what the Ultimate version wore, but let's face it, the classic costume is just too damn silly).

12. Spider-Fan

Jul 15, 2008
    Winter Soldier - Hey they always need some kind of plot for an inevitable sequel. :p Honestly I can't think of a better one.

I don't understand people's issues with the Ultimate version of the costume. Both the WW2 and modern Ultimate costumes were at least attempting to approach the matter somewhat practically, rather than simply trying to drape a flag on him. I don't see why its any worse than the current 616 costume.

[image=http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll143/CaptainAmerica_photos/UltimateWW2Cap2.jpg] [image=http://screenrant.com/wp-content/uploads/captain-america.jpg] [image=http://www.fantastic-four.nl/Captain_America6.jpg]

And since Marvel Studios clearly went for a more recent, modern and updated look for Iron Man I can certainly see them doing something similar for both Thor and Captain America as well.

13. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    I think my issue with Cap's costume is twofold. On one hand, it's simply far too anachronistic: it's a costume that's utterly right out of the Golden Age of Comics -- maybe, just maybe, passable in 1941 -- but something that simply wouldn't fly that in the 21st century. On the other hand, draping the old stars and stripes over a soldier is simply, I dunno, just too presumptuous. Yes, he's walking and fighting rallying flag for the G.I.'s. But he'd stick out like a sore thumb in a battlefield and, if I were an American-hating enemy commander or plain rank and file soldier, I'd do my damnedest to wipe him off said battlefield with just about every grenade, mortar, artillery and tank shell I could spare, adamantium/vibranium shield be damned. The resulting red, gut-strewn smear would be far too demoralizing to charging G.I.s. However, a supersoldier like him would best be used as a covert weapon, away from any battlefield and instead doing vital and difficult covert ops that would change the tide of the war. His code name would be CAPTAIN AMERICA but that would be the only thing both the public and the average soldier would know about him; his face and any trace of his real identity would've been the utmost secret. And he certainly wouldn't be using an outlandish costume, let alone have a barely legal kid wearing a similar oulandish costume tag along with him on sensitive missions.

Yes, perhaps I have modern age, Robin-less THE DARK KNIGHT sensibilities here. But perhaps this sensibility should be considered. Maybe in this one case sticking too close to the source material here could possibly lead the movie to a complete and utter disaster.

14. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    The Hulk doesn't need a sidekick. [face_shame_on_you]

That's MY wishful thinking!:p

15. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    With Thor I'm assuming/hoping they'll have a semi-classic design for the first movie since it deals more with Asgard and period stuff (AFAIK), and then when they bring him on board for the Avengers, they'll go with his modern costume (which, IMO, is much better anyways).

IIRC, that's how Cap would prefer it. I'm certain there's been several times where he said something to the effect that, so long as the enemy was aiming for him, they couldn't be aiming for the other troops, which would help save some of their lives and perhaps help clear the way for them to complete the mission.

16. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    My guess is it's a bit more modern based on costume rumors that his has the chainmail.

17. Spider-Fan

Jul 15, 2008
    First none of your points have anything to do with the Ultimate costume specifically. Second even TDK's Batman had him dressing up and realizing the power behind a symbol, behind a legend. The costume and what the character represents is part of his power.

The idea is that a symbol can be far more meaningful than a covert agent. They have all kinds of those. It does little good for morale when a the super-soldier is little more than rumour. What the soldiers need is something to rally behind and be reminded in the grimmest of circumstances what they are fighting for, what they are sacrificing for.

Also many of your ideas have been seemingly addressed by what is known about the direction of the movie. If you go back a page or two we've had a discussion already pertaining to the intended origin of the costume in the movie's context. However, Joe says it best himself:

On an unrelated note, I wonder if they will address Nick Fury's presence in World War 2 and of course his age. After all they have Sam Jackson signed to appear in nine movies, and there is a reasonable canon explanation for it.

18. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    That'd be an interesting setup for Avengers- have Fury pop up towards the end of Cap's movie.

19. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    Official Press Release

Marvel Studios announced today that Hayley Atwell has been cast to star as Peggy Carter in the studio's highly anticipated movie CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE FIRST AVENGER opposite Chris Evans. In the early comics, Peggy Carter fell in love with Captain America while they fought together in the war effort. The character will be updated for the feature adaptation. Joe Johnston will direct the film penned by Christopher Markus & Stephen McFeely.

[image=http://www.comicbookresources.com/assets/images/articles/1271282132.jpg]

20. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    I've never quite understood how 616 Nick Fury is still in good fighting shape. Did he take some formula (Infinity Formula?) that considerably slowed (or downright stopped) his aging process between WW2 and the present day?

Sam Jackson's Nick Fury is modelled after the Ultimate Marvel version, who wasn't a WW2 veteran but instead was a Desert Storm vet. I gather the Cap movie will answer that question.

21. Spider-Fan

Jul 15, 2008
    Incorrect. Ultimate Nick Fury fought in both wars.

22. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    Yeah. Ultimate Nick Fury was revealed to be kind of a Captain America prototype, similar to 616 Isaiah Bradley.

23. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    I stand corrected then. I got out of comics in general quite a few years ago and didn't know that bit about Ultimate Fury.

Who's Isaiah Bradley?

24. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
  25. Spider-Fan

Jul 15, 2008
    Apparently they've been given a start date for June 28th.