main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "On your left." - Captain America (Brave New World)

Discussion in 'Community' started by gonzoforce, Nov 9, 2008.

1. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Official Press Release

Marvel Studios announced today that Hugo Weaving has been cast to star as Johann Schmidt aka the Red Skull in the studio?s highly anticipated movie CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE FIRST AVENGER opposite Chris Evans and Hayley Atwell. In the early comics, Johann Schmidt was drafted into loyal service of The Third Reich and renamed ?The Red Skull?. The character will be updated for the feature adaptation. Joe Johnston will direct the film penned by Christopher Markus & Stephen McFeely.

2. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
  3. Spider-Fan

Spider-Fan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2008
    I am wondering to what degree will these peripheral characters will be involved. Zola, The Howling Comandos, The Invaders etc etc. Are they going to just be cameos, or mayve lesser characters who are there but don't do much (Doctor Connors in the Spider-Man flicks for example), will they even be named?? I am really hoping they are not devoting too much screen time too them. I mean its cool to see them, but for what purpose? Why is it necessary to include every WW2 Marvel property?

I am also concerned if it will diminish Cap's significance as one of the earliest super humans with the Invaders popping in.

4. DT421

DT421 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2003
    Really. Who would be playing Namor? :p

And how silly will it be to see the Fantastic Four Human Torch in a movie with... the Invader's Human Torch? :p

Maybe just a verbal nod to the Invaders perhaps?

5. Spider-Fan

Jul 15, 2008
    That would be preferable as something inspired by Cap, and have the Howling Commandos doing their cameo would be sufficient, especially if it involves a certain familiar leader.

6. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Yeah, I was just thinking about this the other day. The other major player from Cap's WW2 days would be Namor, and that guy would require an entire movie for himself (especially since he IS one of the founding Avengers, not Cap per se).

As for the Torch, it'd be far too convoluted to even try to explain the guy to a modern audience. Even I roll my eyes when reading his history. Regardless, if you think about it, the Invaders and all of the Marvel WW2 heroes should've and could've won WW2 by themselves, and we know that's not how things played out, even in the Marvel Universe. So in a way, a smidgen of reality is preserved by having Cap as the only WW2 "superhero" and his being taken out prior to the war's climactic days meant that events folded as they did in reality.

7. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    RUMOR: Dominic Cooper to play Howard Stark

Salon.com recently interviewed Dominic Cooper while the actor was attending Cannes to promote his film Tamara Drewe. Cooper revealed to them that he is "slated to play Howard Stark (aka, Iron Man's father) in the upcoming 'Captain America.'"

8. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    Oooh, the guy from Mamma Mia! I can kind of see the resemblance between he and Robert Downey Jr.

9. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    That was my first thought too Rhonda. [face_blush]

10. darthtenbiscuits

darthtenbiscuits Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 7, 2001
    It looks like two opposing forces are pulling his eyes apart.

11. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    Alleged description of Captain America's costume

The first thing I noticed is that the trademark wings that flank the side of Cap?s hood are gone. In fact the ?hood? is gone entirely. In its place is a more traditional M1 Army helmet though this helmet does come over the eyes to give Cap a traditional ?domino mask? look. Still present is the white ?A? in the middle of the hat (nothing fancy, this is the traditional font), though like the rest of the costume, the blue of the helmet is much more muted than the blue in the comic costume. A thick black strap comes down over the ears and connects under the chin. ?

On his chest still lies the white star though it?s not as prominent as the comic version. The costume is still split horizontally through the middle with blue on top and red and white stripes on the bottom. But instead of stripes, it?s actually just a white base with two red utility straps acting as stripes. These straps affix to a metal loop at the midpoint of the chest and a black strap extends up to the shoulders from that point.

12. DT421

Nov 6, 2003
    I can deal with the "practical WWII military look", especially for this particular movie, but I'm really hoping for the more traditional Cap look by the time of the Avengers movie.

13. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Some will say "OMG they are changing the costume those evil bastards!" But look at the X-Men films. It may have been a god idea to change them. I am not sure how well yellow and black Wolverine might have worked.

14. Spider-Fan

Jul 15, 2008
    In instances like X-Men I think you can get away with major costume changes. They seem to go through costumes changes every few years, some rather dramatic looking changes, so its not something unfamiliar.

Cap's costume is iconic (perhaps more so than most), recognizable and short of some major missteps and the odd variation, has stayed largely the same. Its something you can alter but there is a fine line that should be maintained IMO.

That said, from what I've read of the description there isn't anything so terrible its out of character, so far.

15. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
  16. Spider-Fan

Jul 15, 2008
    Allegedly its the real deal. I want to hear from Marvel or someone else official, not fansites that are known for jumping the gun on "official" info.

[image=http://www.aintitcool.com/images2009/capam1.jpg] [image=http://www.aintitcool.com/images2009/capam2.jpg]
    [image=http://www.aintitcool.com/images2009/capam3.jpg] [image=http://www.aintitcool.com/images2009/capam4.jpg]

17. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    I really don't mind this look at all. It very much to me says world war era Cap. Nice touch with the helmet rather than a full pull over mask. I would think that the pictures in Aintitcool.com are of his personal uniform rather than the flashier costume that Joe Johnston said Rogers would have for his USO digs. There are no wings on this one, I bet we see the wings on the USO costume and not on the active duty costume.

18. DT421

Nov 6, 2003
    Looks rather modern for a WWII era costume I think.
    It can do without a lot of that unnecessary seam work.

19. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    I like the look.

20. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    I recognize the poses from several Cap covers. :-B

21. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    [image=http://www.aintitcool.com/images2009/capam2.jpg]

=

[image=http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii214/KnifeToTheSoul/57823-captain-america_400.jpg]

Which is quite possibly my fav piece of Cap art.

22. Im_just_guessing

Im_just_guessing Jedi Knight star 7

Oct 23, 2002
    Those aren't the same at all. The shields are pointing in totally different directions

23. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    [image=http://i879.photobucket.com/albums/ab352/Sith-Prime/AvengersMovieConcept3.jpg]

24. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    Stanley Tucci is Dr. Abraham Erskine

Excellent casting choice.

Pity your favorite piece of Cap art ever is a swipe of this classic Jim Lee page:

[image=http://blog.adlo.es/images/2006/12/980727-1.jpg]

:p

25. -Phoenix-

-Phoenix- Jedi Master star 5

Oct 21, 2005
    I really like the costume design. I'd like it to look a little more WWII-ish, and maybe have the head a touch more helmet-like, but other than that I can't argue with the style.