Amph Captain America

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by NJOfan215, Jun 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    As some of you may know the 600th issue of cap was released on monday. This is a follow up to cap number 25 which can came out in 2007. They didn't release 575 issues over the past two years, they just changed the numbering. In cap 25, cap was killed. In cap 600 his girlfriend sharon, who capped him in issue 25, comes to the realization that he might still be alive. This issue will followed up on in two weeks in Reborn 1. I'm being vague about all of the details because i don't want to spoil anyone.

What do you guys think about Cap?

I think Cap 600 was a good issue but nothing worthy of a special release. I'm really looking forward to Reborn, Bruebaker is good writing and Hitch is a good artist. Niether of them have disappointed me in the past so i don't think they will now.
  2. Spiderfan Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Frankly it only makes sense. The death of Cap was statement about the political direction of the United States post-9/11, about how many of the things he believed in and represented were too now dead (whether or notthey were is a matter of opinion I won't get into). So if the authors felt that the Bush-era or politics was the death of certain ideals, the optimistic nature of the current administration would be an ideal time for him to come back.

Not to mention within the scope of the Marvel Universe it makes sense. Since Civil War the heroes have been divided, there has been a volatile balance struck that could decay at any moment, with Villains taking control and posturing legitimately as heroes (in some cases actually taking their names and looks). Its a very pesimistic time without any sort of strong leadership. Tony Stark is being hunted, Bucky as Cap is too busy being a solo act, Nick Fury is still running underground, Thor's displeased with the way things have gone in his absence. All the characters you would assume would be inspiring rallying points are bogged down trying to look out for their own heads to take the stand and claim the mantle of leadership the heroes so desperately need. Frankly the only one I feel who could do this is Cap anyways. I have said for a while that his return to the Marvel Universe in the grander scheme would be the point at which all this crap over the last few years would fall to the wayside and things would start to look better (though not entirely obviously because we have to transition to the next major event...sigh :rolleyes:).

Lastly there is the far more practical reasoning behind his return...The Movie. Its a few years off now and my guess would have been that he would return much closer to the film's release, but it would be foolish (not to mention out of character) of Marvel not to capitalize on the film's expected popularity.
  3. Raven Administrator Emeritus

star 6

I'm guessing that the other in-universe reason for bringing him back is to counter Norman Osborne.
  4. Merlin_Ambrosius69 Force Ghost

star 5
    I love Cap, I'm excited they're bringing him back, I'm intrigued by what the explanation will be for how he survived, and I'm looking forward to see how the issue of "two Captain Americas" will be solved (a question first explored in the 80s with USAgent).

I'd also like to say that I really appreciate Spiderfan's analysis of these events versus the current socio-political climate.
  5. Soontir-Fel Force Ghost

star 5
    Really? We just got used to Bucky Cap.

I knew it was inevitable but I wished they had waited a little longer.
  6. Darth-Lando Chosen One

star 6
    Agreed. We all knew it would happen eventually. I'm just surprised it happened this fast.
  7. Jedi Ben Chosen One

star 6
    Just because it was obvious - despite the careful misdirection of the last 2.5 years - that Rogers would return does not mean that that return will be done in the obvious way.

My expectation is that Brubaker will continue to both defy people's expectations while winning them over with the new direction.
  8. NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Interesting thoughts spiderfan. I wouldn't mind if we got another story arc with bucky as cap, but i'm ok with him coming back now.
  9. chiss_man Force Ghost

star 6
    What's interesting to me is the fact that many are saying they wish Marvel had waited longer, as they feel that Cap is on a great roll right now with Bucky as Cap. It's interesting because I remember hearing many of the same things when they first killed Steve Rogers, that the title was on such a good roll that there was no need to mess with it with such a radical plot change. I think by now we'd all learn to trust Brubaker's judgment on this, he's obviously got a very long term vision in mind here that (from what has been said in interviews anyway) always included killing and then bringing back Steve Rogers. I'm excited to see where this is going, personally.
  10. Soontir-Fel Force Ghost

star 5
    Of course I trust Brubaker, but I sense a little too much of Quesadas hand in all this.
  11. Darth-Lando Chosen One

star 6
    Suppoedly, Brubaker wanted to bring Steve Rogers back in Captain America #30, a whole FIVE ISSUES after his death. Quesada aparently convinced him to lengthen it. Or so the rumor goes.
  12. NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I think Bru will write a fantastic story. As far Joe Q, he brought marvel from bankrupcy to the leader in the comic book industry which is good, so by and large i think he makes good editorial decision. Unfortunitely i've become a bit irritated by marvel continous rollercoaster of event and expansion.
  13. Mister_Master Force Ghost

star 6
    I just read a new Captain America. I was disappointed. It was all about him dying. I didn't want to read about him dying.
  14. Jedi Ben Chosen One

star 6
    You do know what's coming out tomorrow, don't you?
  15. Merlin_Ambrosius69 Force Ghost

star 5
    The lead-up to "Cap Reborn", CA #600, is a good starting place for his return. With multiple shorts by multiple writers and artists, it encapsulates the last two years and brings matters to a head in high style. Though I hadn't been following the arc before this, I'm now really excited to see Steve Rogers come back.

It will be interesting to see how Bucky responds. Is there room enough for two Caps?? [face_flag]
  16. Sith_Sensei__Prime Force Ghost

star 5
    Actually, I think that's more fact than rumor. I believe I read that at Marvel.com or IGN.com. It that article, I believe Bru said that readers probably wouldn't stick around more that five issues or that he would have material beyond that. Personally, I thought that he would bring Cap back at issue 30.

I find it interesting that Bruce Wayne and Steve Rogers were replaced by their once sidekicks. Although, Bucky can to a faster realization for the need of a Captain America than Dick Grayson did with Batman.

I do wonder how Steve Rogers will cope with the post Civil War/Dark Reign world. I mean, will he become leader of the Avengers again? Fight against the establishment? Remember, the Civil War ended because Cap saw the common people were against him.

I'm looking forward to Cap's return as much I as did when Thor returned.
  17. Jedi Ben Chosen One

star 6
    The superhero brawling of Civil War certainly ended whe Cap saw they had lost the people's support due to the damage they were inflicting, but I don't think that means he had given up - chances are he saw it as losing a battle for a chance of winning the war by a trial or other means. Assassination before trial wasn't expected.
  18. Merlin_Ambrosius69 Force Ghost

star 5
    Yes, as I was buying #600 the clerk told me the new series would be called REBORN, and I remarked how odd it was that both Batman and Cap were in series called REBORN in which the lead heroes died and their old sidekicks from the 1940s replaced them for a time. 8-} You gotta wonder who came up with which idea first.

Since there are currently two Avengers teams -- one government-sponsored with Norman Osborn at the head, and once classic Avengers team (led by Hawkeye, I think) -- it's likely that any number of scenarios could happen. Cap may serve as a member of the classic team for awhile, at first under Hawkeye but gradually stepping into the role of leader, while Bucky takes a new name. Maybe eventually Bucky leaves and works for Osborn. It's a really awesome mix at the moment, so anything feels like it could happen.
  19. Darth-Lando Chosen One

star 6
    Cap Reborn spoilers:Apparently, Cap never died. He was "unstuck in time" and has been traveling through time reliving moments of his life. This was done with a machine Red Skull got from Dr. Doom. [face_plain]
  20. chiss_man Force Ghost

star 6
    Brubaker must love LOST...
  21. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    Or B5 ;)

Can't say I'm thrilled by the explaination. Was hoping there'd be a less "stretchy" way of doing it. Even though it was seemingly the plan all along, it just feels like it's a scenario where they did something unpopular and are throwing some bad retcon in to undo it (even though it's not the case that it was unpopular, it just feels like that kind of scenario).
  22. Soontir-Fel Force Ghost

star 5
    Huh. Being shot and getting zapped in time.

Sounds vaguely familiar.

[image=http://dberes.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/final_crisis_hc.jpg]
  23. Dingo Force Ghost

star 5
    Well, to be honest there aren't exactly all that many ways you can really bring someone back easily. Jean Grey is one of the only characters that can do it without needing much of an explanation.
  24. JoinTheSchwarz Comms Admin & Community Manager

Administrator
    star 8
    Also, Doom's time machine was present in the original Death of Captain America story arc and before, and it was obvious it was going to play some kind of role sooner or later. It's not like Bru is merely retconning Steve's death.
  25. NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I haven't picked up my comics yet so i don't have anything new to say.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.