main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Captain and Pilot (Mara Jade DDC14) - cont'd in new thread

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Tarsier, Jan 11, 2014.

1. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Tarsier! [face_rofl] That was all kinds of funny from Dankin's crush on Mara, to the pesky Gamorrean but capped off by their next stop! :oops: Not awkward. Uh-huh. =D= =D=

Revanfan1 and Tarsier like this.
  2. Jade_Pilot

Jade_Pilot Jedi Master star 5

Dec 10, 2005
    Lolol! Loved it. :)

Tarsier likes this.
  3. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    fun update with the Gamorean and the pups

Tarsier likes this.
  4. Kahara

Kahara Chosen One star 4

Mar 3, 2001
    Liked the conversation with the Gamorrean. It was a great example of how there can be a bit of culture clash in a galaxy with so many species and worlds -- really, for a Gamorrean she seems like a sweetheart. Well-meaning, you know? Just prone to assuming things that are a bit traumatizing from Mara's POV. [face_laugh] And I thought it was cute that she was carrying her cubs around. There’s something endearing about maternal aliens. I'm torn between being amused at Mara's discomfort and feeling bad for Dankin -- if his past is similar to that in Worth Fighting For, then the meeting may have been more awkward for him than Mara would realize. Not to mention, he may have thought Mara was oblivious to his crush. Can't wait to see what happens at the Academy!

Revanfan1 and Tarsier like this.
  5. Tarsier

Tarsier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 31, 2005
    Random Comments :D I'm glad you liked it!

Nyota's Heart Thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Jade_Pilot Thank you!

earlybird-obi-wan Thanks!

Kahara Yes, I think the Gamorrean was well-meaning. Super annoying, but well-meaning. :p She was mostly inspired by Murder in Slushtime (where the female Gamorrean kept telling Callista she needed to fatten-up and acquire some parasites in order to find a mate). The background given in WFF is more or less my headcanon for Dankin, so I'd say it applies here, though I don't expect it to come up at all in this story. I'm hoping to have more up this weekend!

6. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    [face_laugh] Just read this last update and it's so awesome! Poor Mara and poor Dankin!

Tarsier likes this.
  7. Tarsier

Jul 31, 2005
    Revanfan1 Thank you! :)

Entry 8

After we landed on Yavin, I had Dankin begin to unload the cargo while I went to find Skywalker. I found him in the forest, meditating with a group of students. Since there wasn’t exactly a door to knock on, I walked up beside him and waited until he noticed me. It took a few throat clearings, but eventually he snapped out of it. I expected to receive a few choice words for interrupting. Instead, the man was all smiles as he greeted me. Blasted Jedi is too polite for his own good.

His new lady love was noticeably absent from his little group. I’ve heard conflicting reports on whether or not she is Force-sensitive. I suppose a Jedi Academy must be especially dull if you aren’t even a Jedi.

I hurried through the pleasantries and headed back toward the ship before Skywalker could bring up the subject of my training.

8. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Of course he was all smiles ... having a secret crush on Mara himself [face_laugh] [face_mischief] I loved Mara's remarks about Luke's new lady love. :D Sounds a bit jealous/wistful. [face_thinking]

Tarsier and Revanfan1 like this.
  9. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Fun update with Mara meeting Luke and her thoughts on the new lady love

Tarsier likes this.
  10. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    "It took a few throat clearings." Ha! I love it! [face_laugh]

Tarsier likes this.
  11. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    I am now up to date! Nice entries! This is getting interesting.:p

Tarsier likes this.
  12. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    "Conflicting reports" —This is around the time of Callista, right?

Tarsier likes this.
  13. Jade_Pilot

Dec 10, 2005
    Smiling Skywaker!

Tarsier and Nyota's Heart like this.
  14. Kahara

Kahara Chosen One star 4

Mar 3, 2001
    LOL. Aww, Mara. Can't blame her for wanting to make a quick exit. The old "I'm happy for you (but...)" feeling. So close and yet so far.

No kidding. I first encountered Callista in Darksaber when I was quite young, and had little sympathy for her for many years. Thought she was terrible for being all mopey that she couldn't be powerful. Now I look at that situation (not Luke, but the situation... I mean, what could you do all day on Yavin 4 if you weren't a Jedi, and feel like your life was meaningful?) and really think I would have run for the hills long before she did. Forget personal pride, everyone needs to feel like they're connected to the world somehow.

Tarsier and Nyota's Heart like this.
  15. Tarsier

Jul 31, 2005
    Mara? Jealous? Surely, you can't be serious! :p

Thank you! :)

Thanks! :)

Glad you were able to catch up. Thanks for commenting!

It is indeed. :)

:D

Come to think of it, So close and yet so far is a good explanation of Mara/Luke a lot of the time... I love your analysis of Callista in Darksaber!

Revanfan1 likes this.
  16. Tarsier

Jul 31, 2005
    Entry 9

On my way back to the ship I meandered a little, hoping to come across lady love. Didn’t find her. However, as I approached the ship I could hear voices. I distinctly heard Dankin say, “I think I’m in love,” followed by a soft laugh. I hurried up the ramp.

Dankin was leaning against a shipping crate with one hand palm-up in front of him. Sitting in his hand was a furry rodent.

“She likes you,” a strange woman—Callista, Skywalker’s lady love, as it turned out—said, petting the rat-like creature in Dankin’s hand. Dankin grinned, looking excessively pleased to have won the approval of a rodent.

I cleared my throat since they both seemed so enraptured with the rat that they hadn’t noticed me. “You better not have found that thing in the cargo,” I said.

The rat responded first, bolting up Dankin’s arm, onto his shoulder, then leaping from Dankin to Callista, finally coming to rest clinging to Callista’s back and peering around her hip. It took a phenomenal effort for me not to draw my blaster and eliminate the vermin as it ran.

Callista did not seem particularly appreciative of this effort when she coolly told me the rat was her pet.

With another supreme effort, I managed to avoid commenting further. Callista invited us to stay for dinner, an invitation I fully intended to decline, but Dankin got the first word in. I’m not sure if he’s more smitten with Callista or the rat.

Chitlik. Skitter is not a rat, she’s a chitlik. And I’m not smitten; I’ve just always wanted a pet. Karrde said no when I asked for a whisperkit, but chitliks are a lot smaller…

17. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Fun with Calista and the rat. She deserves that critter and Luke something better than Calista;)

Nyota's Heart likes this.
  18. Jade_Pilot

Dec 10, 2005
    Great!

Tarsier likes this.
  19. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    Nice update...but I don't like people using the C-word. :p The good thing about EU not being canon is Callista no longer exists...and if she turns up in movie canon I will disown Disney!

Nyota's Heart likes this.
  20. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    ...I'm not sure you can actually do that. :p

But yeah, if she turns up and they've gotten rid of all the stories I like, I'll be pretty furious.

21. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Echoing JL all the way :p =D= Skitter is a cute name, too cute for a rodent :eek:

22. Kahara

Kahara Chosen One star 4

Mar 3, 2001
    Aww, little critter. Mara doesn't like rats, I see. :p Even when they're really chitliks. And I totally understand Dankin's being pleased to have won the approval of a "rodent." Dinner with Callista, Dankin, and Mara should be interesting times.

Tarsier likes this.
  23. Tarsier

Jul 31, 2005
    Author Note: Just thought I would mention that I'm playing around with a somewhat different version of Callista here. She's not intended to be totally OOC, but her story here is not necessarily true to canon. Anyway, thanks for reading!

Entry 10

As we’re getting ready to go to the temple for dinner, I suggested (only half-joking) that Dankin try not to look too cozy with the Jedi Master’s lady in front of said Jedi Master. He very seriously informed me that Luke and Callista aren’t really a couple—it’s just for show, like us. I’m skeptical so I told him to write down the conversation exactly:

I don’t have your photographic memory, Mara. And you were gone for a long time—we talked about a bunch of stuff. So this might not be exact, but it went something like this:

Callie: Should I be worried that your girl is alone in the woods with my guy?

me: I don’t know. She’s not really my girl. We just have to pretend to be together, for work.

Callie: Hmm…then I guess I can tell you, Luke and I aren’t really a couple either. Just please don’t tell anyone.

me: I won’t tell. You won’t tell about Mara and me?

Callie: Who would I tell? Your secret’s safe.

She really put your feet to the flames there, didn’t she, Dankin? I’m glad you don’t have a job that involves keeping secrets, like, say, for example, working for an information broker.

Hey, the business of information isn’t just about secrets. I’d say knowing the most powerful man in the galaxy is making a show of courting someone he’s not interested in is worth a lot more than knowing a couple of smugglers aren’t romantically involved.

Right, clearly you were sniffing out information for Karrde right from the start.

Don’t believe everything strange women tell you, Dankin.

I’m not sure what to make of this. I’m not inclined to trust Callista, but it seems like a strange thing to lie about. Unless….

Well, we’ll see how dinner goes.

[attempt to retrieve data: Entry 11]

Entry 11

*****Yavin**********************************************************************************************************academy***********************************************************************************************************lker!​

**************************************************************************************************************************************list***************************************************chit*******************************************​

************************************************​
    *********************​
    ---------​

[data corrupted - unreadable]

[attempt to retrieve data: Entry 11] [second attempt]

EnTrY 11111111111111111111 kldfnEntreksdf11jheir $^&%^eNTRY11kyw1(*)^%&1$^^^^​

[data corrupted - irretrievable]

[end]

Author Note: This diary is being continued in a new thread for the Dear Diary Challenge 2016.

24. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    :D :D Yay for L/m actually both being unattached to someone else. ;)

25. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Luke unattached - Mara should go for him