main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Captain EO - "We are here to change the world!"

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by Latorski, Apr 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Latorski

Latorski Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2002
    It was a 1980s EPCOT and Disneyland attraction- a 3-D movie starring Michael Jackson, directed by Francis Ford Coppola and produced by LucasFilm, Kodak and Disney. Michael Jackson and James Horner did the music. ILM did the effects. I remember thinking it was pretty cool and was sci-fi, but can't recall much else.

How did you all feel about it? Does anyone remember the plot, characters, funny moments, interesting facts, etc?

2. malducin

malducin Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    I liked it.

Here is an interesting fact. ILM was not originally slated to do VFX. The people at Disney, under Harrison Elenshaw' supervision, were going to handle all, but because they were given too little time to do it, they called on ILM to do some of the VFX work.

3. Attack_of_the_Ewoks

Attack_of_the_Ewoks Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 8, 2003
    I remember there being an alien witch character that totally freaked me out so I took my glasses off. 8-}

4. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    I saw it. I don't remember a thing about it though.

If I were to go back to Disney World I'd probably only see it so I could make lame Michael Jackson jokes.

Rick McCallum loves you!

5. Latorski

Dec 14, 2002
    If I were to go back to Disney World I'd probably only see it so I could make lame Michael Jackson jokes.

It's no longer playing, unfortunately. I doubt Disney will bring it back given Jackson's problems.

I'm hoping for a DVD though. :)

6. malducin

Oct 23, 2001
    Didn't nkow that it wasn't playing anymore. So what do they have playing there now?

As far as the "alien witch" that was Anjelica Huston.

7. Latorski

Dec 14, 2002
    So what do they have playing there now?

I don't know about Disneyland but at EPCOT it's Honey, I Shrunk the Audience.

8. Latorski

Dec 14, 2002
    I'd like to see Captain EO on IMAX. I think they're the only ones still showing 3D movies.

9. obi_wan_kanathan

obi_wan_kanathan Jedi Padawan star 4

May 10, 2001
    It's Honey, I Shrunk the Audience at Disney Land also.

10. ratmankey

ratmankey Jedi Master star 4

Feb 15, 2002
    There's a site called michaelfan.com where you can get Captain EO on VCD. Yay.

I saw it when I was 1992, so I was...8. I don't remember much about it at all.

Star Tours, however, I DO remember.

11. Latorski

Dec 14, 2002
    I've seen some dvd copies on ebay. It appears to only be in the UK. Anyone know if these are legit or copied from vcd or what?

12. WormieSaber

WormieSaber Jedi Master star 5

Oct 22, 2000
    I miss Captain Eo. Disneyland replaced it for Honey I Shrunk the Kids. I perferred EO, mostly because of the dancing and music. Breakdancing in outerspace? You can't beat that. Jackson made such a cool SW-like character. ;) Before he went all weirdo, of course. I got that Captain Eo song on CD. Lucasfilm really should release this to DVD and put extra on it for strictly 3D viewing. More people need to see this! It's so RAD!!!

13. CaptPanakaBacca

CaptPanakaBacca Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 16, 2002
    I too loved Capt Eo. It was a movie that felt was from some part of the Star Wars universe. I loved the music "Change the World" Lucasfilm should release it. Even if it was not 3-D. It is a great demo for any home theater system. Lucasfilm should put this out on dvd, even as an Easter Egg.

By the way the initials E.O. , do they stand for anything?

14. WormieSaber

WormieSaber Jedi Master star 5

Oct 22, 2000
    I'm really surprised when I hear how many people actually haven't seen it. It was very creative and had this cool positive flow about it.

15. Latorski

Dec 14, 2002
    By the way the initials E.O. , do they stand for anything?

Apparently the name EO was taken from Eos, the Greek Goddess of Dawn. She was the goddess who would open the gates of heaven to allow Apollo to ride the chariot of the sun through the sky.

I agree that this would be a great dvd by itself or as an easter egg. Given all the hype that surrounded it at the time, I bet there'd be a making-of video somewhere.

I too am surprised that many people don't know about it. I guess it's never on tv though. Music channels like Mtv and VH1 play Jackson's other long videos and short films quite frequently. The Disney channel could also be a tv possibility (or maybe not given their clean image and Jackson's problems). Still, I wonder why this has never been aired.

16. malducin

Oct 23, 2001
    Well it hasn't beeen anywhere because, surprise surprise, it's supposed to be an exclusive ride film. I mean has anyone seen simualtor rides play on TV? The exclusivity is to get you to go to the park and experience it there. It would never play on MTV or VH1 while the film was playing at the park. And besides the way the Big Mouse is I doubt they would release it ever or anytime soon.

There was a special that played back then when it was released about how they made it. I had it taped long ago, but that's the closest you could get to see snippets on TV.

17. Latorski

Dec 14, 2002
    Apparently, it did air once many years ago. I'm not sure if that was in the US or UK. I hear this is the source of the many bootlegs found on ebay.

18. malducin

Oct 23, 2001
    Unless the special making-of showed the video as well, but I don't remember that.

19. YodasClass

YodasClass Jedi Youngling

Jun 13, 2003
    Yeah I remember the Captain EO video!

Whoopie Goldberg hosted it on TV. It was really good. They showed the making of it then showed the whole video except the ending, which they kept as a surprise, as in you had to come to Disney World to see the rest. I think it came on either Fox or ABC I cant quite remember.

I also found the Captain Eo Comic in a comic book store. It came with 3D glasses.

20. Latorski

Dec 14, 2002
    I just downloaded "We are here to change the world!"

It's kinda cool hearing an old Michael Jackson song.

21. CaptPanakaBacca

CaptPanakaBacca Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 16, 2002
    Latorski, was the song in stereo or mono. I'm still trying to find itin stereo.

22. Latorski

Dec 14, 2002
    It was in mono. I'm looking for it in stereo as well. Sound quality on the file I got isn't very good and you'd only listen to it for novelty and curiosity.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.