Captain EO

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by EternalHero, Apr 29, 2014.

1. EternalHero Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    I didn't see a thread on this so I thought I'd start one!

Captain Eo was an attraction at Epcot, a 3D movie written/produced by George Lucas, directed by Francis Ford Coppola and starring Michael Jackson and Angelica Huston. The orchestral score was provided by James Horner who would go on to score Willow for Lucasfilm.

I'm fascinated by this short film because I couldn't see it when it was at Epcot, my family was going through hard times financially, and a family trip to Epcot was definitely not on the agenda. I didn't get to see it until it showed up on YT. It's kind of a forgotten Lucasfilm project.

Here's a pretty decent widescreen transfer:

Did anyone see this in the 1980's or when it was re-released? Any memories to share?

I have some old articles about it, I'll post more info when I get the chance.

Fun stuff!
    Last edited by EternalHero, Apr 29, 2014
    Pensivia and Darth_Nub like this.
  2. EternalHero Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    The spaceship chase was directed by Joe Johnston at ILM and the whole film was edited by Walter Murch.

Some fun facts!
    Pensivia likes this.
  3. Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus

star 4
    That was fun - a real trip back to the 1980s. Pretty silly stuff, but it's got that unmistakeable 1980s ILM sci-fi flavour, along with Henson-esque puppets.

The design looks like a shameless cobbling together of SW, Star Trek & the Alien films.
    Pensivia, Mr. K and EternalHero like this.
  4. thejeditraitor Chosen One

star 4
    amazing! ha ha! never seen this.

i've lived in florida near the theme parks my whole life but i never went to the parks very often. i remember when this came out i really wanted to see it. they made a huge deal out of it. only went to epcot once and it was probably before this. i can imagine standing in line for two hours just to watch a fifteen minute movie. it was in 3-d though so there's that.
    EternalHero likes this.
  5. Mr. K Moderator Emeritus

star 5
    At a cost of a million bucks per minute, this was (and still may be) by the minute, the most expensive motion picture ever made...and it remains unreleased. Thank you for sharing.
    FRAGWAGON and EternalHero like this.
  6. Seagoat Force Ghost

star 4
    I saw it in Disney World when they were showing it to honor the life of the then recently deceased Jackson... it was pretty cool. Disappointed that he only got away with one or two "humps"
    EternalHero likes this.
  7. vong333 Force Ghost

star 4
    This was an awesome movie, I remember not only seeing in this, but also reading on the making of it. There was a magazine released by the people who made the Starlog magazine, but it wasn't star log it was another one that was short lived that had probably the most in-depth article on the making of it. It was a pretty big hit at the time and in fact was still running until Michael Jackson (in peace he may rest) got caught up with all those children scandals.
    EternalHero likes this.
  8. sbk1234 Jedi Master

star 1
    I really liked it when it first came out, and for many years later. But it ultimately ran its course. When they brought it back to Disneyland I saw it once or twice, but that was about it.
  9. Billyjeanplxiv Jedi Youngling

Ive seen it and like it, many Jackson fans like Another Part of Me in Captain EO more than the BAD album version
    EternalHero likes this.
  10. Darth Zannah Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    I love this movie!! I've been trying for years to find an official DVD for this but keep coming across bootlegs....I know there is a real official version out there because whenever I come across the bootleg it comes with a widescreen and 4:3 version side by side...so there's definitely a master copy out there intended for home use...anyone know where I can buy this?
    EternalHero likes this.
  11. EternalHero Jedi Grand Master

star 3

There's never been an official home video release but who knows? Maybe Disney will make it available now. That would be awesome! It's also ripe for expansion, it would make a cool animated series.
    Pensivia likes this.
  12. Darth Zannah Jedi Grand Master

star 3

How can that be? My bootleg has a widescreen and 4:3 version AND the maknig of documentary with Whoopi Goldberg...like it's from an official release or something. How did the bootleggers get their hands on this? It's just strange to me...was there ever a VHS? I also remember I use to see it on TV all the time....can't believe this hasn't been released....they could make a lot of money of this....
  13. Pensivia Force Ghost

star 4
    Wow, that was a great blast from my past! Good ol' MJ destroying evil and negativity with rainbow-colored blasts of light and music--gotta love that![face_laugh] Ah, yes, the days when the King of Pop reigned supreme! And a "Max Rebo" look-a-like character to boot!:p

I was in high school when this came out and definitely remember seeing it on a school trip to Disney. I remember how everyone loved the big "3-D effect moments" where various things point at or fly out toward the camera[face_laugh] And I am embarrassed to admit that I seem to recall being slightly scared by looks of the Angelica Houston baddie, even though I should have been way too old for that reaction[face_blush]

Fun memories--thanks for posting this, @EternalHero! They should definitely release a quality version on disc, maybe as a bonus feature with other Disney/MJ/Lucas or Coppola-related material.
    EternalHero and Bail B. Baobab like this.
  14. EternalHero Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    1. The movie they screened at parks must have had a "master"; that's where I'm supposing the bootleg version comes from.
    2. The making-of special aired on the Disney channel.

To my knowledge this was never released to home video.