main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Captain Panaka a part of Anakin's downfall?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by ObiWanJedi93, Feb 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ObiWanJedi93

ObiWanJedi93 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 29, 2008
    While reading about Padme today on Wookieepedia, I read a very interesting fact I never knew about. I will post it exactly from Wookieepedia:

Amidala then married Skywalker at Varykino on Naboo in a secret ceremony performed by Maxiron Agolerga, the Pontifex of the Brotherhood of Cognizance. R2-D2 and C-3PO were the only witnesses to the wedding. From that moment on, Amidala was also called Padmé Amidala Skywalker, though she never publicly took her new husband's name.

The only evidence of Amidala's marriage to Skywalker was an official scroll containing their names, which Agolerga placed within the archives of the Brotherhood.
    However, Amidala's former head of security during her reign as queen, Panaka, discovered the marriage. He then informed Palpatine of it, who used the information to his advantage in the coming years.

Very interesting. I know some people probably already knew this. But it was just interesting to me. Once Palpatine learned of this, he now could use this knowledge of their marriage to torment Anakin more and more into turning to the Dark Side of the Force.

Discuss, and what are your opinions? Padme's head of security turned against her and caused Anakin's fatal tragedy.

2. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    I don't accept this. This information no doubt comes from some SW Tales comic book (which can be fun, but hardly the final authority on Saga continuity), or from an ill-advised EU short story. It isn't in the films or explicated by Lucas, and therefore is open to acceptance or rejection by each and every fan.

The long and short of it is that the Emperor has Force-derived powers of foresight, and has no need of a second-rate guardsman to inform him of goings-on in relation to Anakin's fall.

3. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    The Emperor also has contacts in the Naboo civil clergy itself, as explained by Stover in the ROTS novel ( and left in there by Lucas ). So as far as I know that's the official story, not Panaka.

4. esahr8

esahr8 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 8, 2008
    Interesting, but I don't feel that it is significant.

Panaka was the head of security for a senator from one planet. In a galactic scale, this is rather meaningless. One could compare this to a police chief of a small town calling the President to tell them some dirty laundry about the local goings-on in town.

Palpatine was the head of a galaxy-wide Republic consisting of 10,000 worlds in a time of war. He wouldn't have time to take a call from somebody of Panaka's stature.

Besides, there is the whole Palpatine-being-involved-with-Anakin's-virgin-birth theory, so I don't think Palpatine would have needed Panaka's intel anyways.

5. yodaman_reborn

yodaman_reborn Jedi Master star 2

Feb 7, 2009
    PANAKA: (whispers) Hey....Chancellor...

PALPATINE: What?

PANAKA: Shhhhhh....come here...

PALPATINE: What?

PANAKA: I said come here.

PALPATINE: What do you want?

PANAKA: I have to tell you something.

PALPATINE: Okay, go ahead.

PANAKA: You know Padme?

PALPATINE: ...Yes...yes I do. And?

PANAKA: Well her and Anakin...you remember him right?

PALPATINE: ...yeah...

PANAKA: Well, you know that lump in Padme's stomach?

PALPATINE: You mean the one's that's slowly been growing these last few months? Yeah I think I've seen it.

PANAKA: Well, how do you think she got it?

PALPATINE: Astonish me...

PANAKA: Well, her and Anakin have been...you know.

PALPATINE: (sigh) Do I? What have they been doing?

PANAKA: You know...the Jedi nasty.

PALPATINE: The Jedi...okay...and?

PANAKA: Well then, take a guess at what that lump in her belly is.

PALPATINE: Gee, is she pregnant?

PANAKA: See, that's why they pay you the big bucks. Yeah, she's pregnant. Surprised?

PALPATINE: Well let's see, they're always hanging out together. They're always gazing into each other's eyes. They disappear with each other for hours, sometimes days at a time. Next thing you know she's got a swollen belly that's been steadily growing over the last few months... Gee, never saw it coming.

PANAKA: Glad I told you, don't you?

PALPATINE: You know, there's a reason you never made it into the last two movies.

6. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    I never actually bought the whole "Panaka telling Palps" thing. I mean, it doesn't make sense if he wants to keep his job, now does it?

Also, Anakin didn't find out and think " Panaka, that BAST***! I'll kill all the Jedi first, obv, then the Seperatists, and then save him for last."

I just assumed Palpataine saw it within the force. Also, it's not that hard to guess. Anakin's obviously head over heels inlove with her, suddenly they're even more close, and Anakin's acting a fool here and there. 2+2=4, occassionally.

7. ObiWanJedi93

ObiWanJedi93 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 29, 2008
    Yeah, I really don't like it after thinking about either. Panaka may have been a strict guard, but I don't think he would ever betray Padme if it was secret. He served her for years, protecting her, and then just turns on her and tells Palpatine of her and Anakin's marriage.

8. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Qui-Gon_Reborn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 11, 2008
    I don't really like the idea, either. Panaka's loyal to Padme. That much is made very clear during TPM. I don't think he would willingly betray her, even to the Chancellor.

9. Jedi_Master_Chewie

Jedi_Master_Chewie Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 27, 2003
    Sometimes every little piece of the storyline does not need to be explained by the EU. Seriously, do you not think Sidious knew Anakin and Padme had something special going on?

10. Avian005

Avian005 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 1, 2009
    LOL, that was funny.

11. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Panaka was always more loyal to Palpatine than Padme, if you rewatch TPM.

Plus he became a Moff under the Empire.

12. Lady_Skywalker87

Lady_Skywalker87 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 4, 2008
    Please point out a scene that supports your claim because I don't see this at all. Besides Palpy knew way before hand that Anakin had feelings for Padmè why else would he had suggested that she be placed under the protection the Jedi-under Obi & Ani no less in ATOC??? finding out about the marriege couldn't have been very difficult after that considering how we now seem how he uses Padmè against Anakin & in the long run the Jedi in the CWS. The whole Panaka thing is compltetly ridiculous to me & is because of details like this one that I'm not crazy about EU.

13. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000

Is there even a scene where they so much as talk to each other? I don't recall one.

14. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    The only scene they were in was when Panaka announced Palpatine's nomination. But I don't think they ever spoke directly to each other. They both just spoke to Padme.

15. Darth_Brutus666

Darth_Brutus666 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 25, 2006
    I think that Panaka told, if he did tell, to get back at Padme since he failed to realize that his nephew Typho loved her.

16. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Qui-Gon_Reborn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 11, 2008
    Why would that make him want to get back at her?

17. Darth_Brutus666

Darth_Brutus666 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 25, 2006
    See, I don't believe that if Panaka told Palpatine, he meant for what happened to happen. I feel he wanted Anakin to leave Padme, and go off doing whatever, allowing Typho to do whatever.

18. MasterOfDeath88

MasterOfDeath88 Jedi Youngling

Jan 31, 2009
    The only hint of Panaka being a big Palpatine supporter is when he announces Palpatine's nomination and he sounds all swelled up and proud. He also gives Palpatine an admiring look during this scene. When he names off the senators who were nominated he sounds as if he their efforts to outwin Palpatine would be futile. So he did appear to endorse and support Palpatine.

That might just have been because he thought Palpatine was their only hope to save Naboo...

So I'm not sure if I buy this story or not.

19. goraq

goraq Jedi Youngling star 4

May 15, 2008
    Panaka was suposed to be killed in the CW series.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.