main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Captain Panaka

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Saga Explorer, Mar 17, 2015.

1. Saga Explorer

Saga Explorer Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 14, 2015
    I wonder why is he so avoided .He is a great character and you see him care for the Naboo.
    He is surely a bad@$$ .(BTW In TCW draft of episode Destroy Malevolence he was supposed to be killed by General Grievous.)

whostheBossk likes this.
  2. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    I wonder what happened to him between TPM and AOTC. He was replaced by captain Typho who wears a eyepatch. I always used to think that Typho was Panaka after an injury.

Cyreides and mes520 like this.
  3. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    He wasn't really replaced by Typho. Panaka was the queen's bodyguard, and with Padme not being the queen anymore, he had no reason to still be the main guard. In-universe, Panaka could very well still have been the bodyguard of the new queen, without being required to appear in AOTC because we hardly saw the queen in that one. Meanwhile Typho was the senator's guard, and could have been Palpatine's guard when he was a senator as well, not being seen in TPM for pretty much the same reason you wouldn't see Panaka in AOTC.

4. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Yes, he was. Panaka was meant to appear in AotC, but Quarshie wanted more money than it was offered to him so he refused the part (and as such, the character was scrapped from the movie).

Jo Lucas, Messi, Immortiss and 6 others like this.
  5. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    I heard that too Alexrd.

6. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    It is correct, as far as I know.

I have no issue with the character of Typho sliding into Panaka's place - my only wish was that Panaka had been shown, with a stricken expression, walking in Padme's funeral procession. That was a missed opportunity for a really emotional moment.

7. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    Interesting, didn't know that.

Tbh Panaka and Typho didn't do much anyway.

Triad Moons likes this.
  8. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I guess it would give some continuity and relevance to the character. Panaka also seemed to have a more defined personality than Typho.

ThisIsMe1138 and Messi like this.
  9. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    Agreed.

10. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    According to the Legendsverse, Panaka eventually became an Imperial Moff, and donated some artwork to Emperor Palpatine's office.

sarlaccsaurs-rex likes this.
  11. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Damn, I was going to point that out

It just seems so.... random of him. A bodyguard becoming a high rank politician? Like.... what?

sarlaccsaurs-rex likes this.
  12. Saga Explorer

Mar 14, 2015
    To be honest I never liked Panaka becoming a Moff in the now known Legends.
    Hopefully he will be written with another story.

13. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I've always felt that Panaka was obnoxious and bossy. It's fitting that he became a Moff.

14. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I love the fact that he knows about the Hutts (I don't know why, but I've always felt the Naboo didn't leave their system that much, with the exception of official envoys and such). I mean yes, it's like knowing about the mafia, but the way he reacts to their mention makes me think that he had some first-hand contact with them or their soldiers. It's the trademark Star Wars lived-in aspect through dialogue.

L110, Seagoat and darklordoftech like this.
  15. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    He probably spent enough time off world here and there gaining skills before working for the Naboo royal security.

16. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Not necessarily, according to the ROTS visual dictionary Panaka was the one who told Palpatine about Anakin and Padme's secret marriage.

17. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    I was talking in-universe, as I mentioned in my post. As such he wasn't really replaced. I knew that the actor couldn't agree on a new countract, I even thought about putting it into my post, but deemed it unnecessary because I was talking about the character, not the actor. Because the actor not returning doesn't change the fact that one didn't need to assume that the character 'Panaka' was Padme's bodyguard and not the queen's bodyguard.

18. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I know, but I believe the person you quoted wasn't. They are two different characters, one replacing another doesn't make much sense in-universe.

19. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    I think we can rest assured that had Quarshie been offered an acceptable contract, the character of Typho wouldn't exist.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  20. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I'm wondering if he'll feature in the newcanon Princess Leia comic, where Leia goes to Naboo?

There was an interesting little Legends story where they meet - which was cut initially from The Essential Guide to Warfare, then later published online:

http://www.starwars.com/news/the-essential-guide-to-warfare-authors-cut-part-6-showdown-at-naboo

21. Schwarma

Schwarma Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 30, 2012
    I loved this. It was one of my favourite EU developments. Made the character so much more interesting.

22. Samnz

Samnz Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    That's a great idea. Panaka mourning alongside Jar Jar would have been wonderful.

I don't really agree here.

Panaka was certainly pessimistic (others would say realistic ;) ) and he was honest about it. He always said his disagreements to the other characters' faces. He was never sneaky or sly, which is why I always felt it was so lame from the EU to make him a "bad character" by having him betray Anakin and Padmé and later join the Empire.

Anyway, I felt it turned out good that Panaka was replaced by Typho. It made the trilogy more fluid. We had Shmi and Watto, who were in both TPM and AOTC. We had Jar Jar, who was prominent in TPM and a bit of AOTC. We had Typho and "Hayden Christensen" Anakin, who were in AOTC and ROTS. It worked for me, and gave me the impression that the galaxy was changing through time.

I also think it "broadened" the galaxy in a very subtle way, after so many complaints about a galaxy that's "too small".

23. Saga Explorer

Mar 14, 2015
    This .

Panaka wasn't bossing around or anything , he was caring about Naboo and he had some disagreements when the life of Amidala was in danger.

Triad Moons and Iron_lord like this.
  24. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
  25. Among the Clouds

Among the Clouds Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2001
    I wasn't a fan of Panaka initially. In fact, my brother and I used to call him Captain Pancake. But now, I see that he had a certain quality about him, and he was probably vocal and pushy because of his military background. He clearly had some experience in the galaxy beyond what most of the Naboo soldiers likely had. I thought the Grand Moff stuff was interesting when I heard that's where he ended up as it sort of jived with his commanding persona.

Iron_lord likes this.