main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Captain Phasma set feminism back years

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Prequel_Rubbish, Dec 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Prequel_Rubbish

Prequel_Rubbish Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 5, 2014
    I love Rey/Daisy's character in TFA. There's a lot of talk about this movie having a strong female lead, and drawing more girls and women into the audience. I've already heard a few tell me they liked her because she was strong and brave, and her story had nothing to do with love.

That said, how could Disney mess up Phasma so badly? They promoted her but then made her worse than useless. She comes across as totally incompetent in the film, and at the end she gets bossed around by some men and does everything they tell her to do. Someone in her position should have preferred to have been shot rather than betray her entire base.

This "character" was one of the worst Star Wars has ever created. What were JJ and Disney thinking?

2. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Says the guy with JarJar as his av..

Matthew_Wolverine and Kualan like this.
  3. VibrantCybran

VibrantCybran Jedi Padawan

Oct 29, 2013
    I'm pretty sure she will have a lot more screen time in the next movies. You don't get Gwendoline Christie to just have her walk around a bit. I also suspect a lot of her scenes were trimmed down. A lot.

Matthew_Wolverine and B99 like this.
  4. Drewton

Drewton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 8, 2009
    Pretty sure that choice is more satirical.

Plasma's character was pretty weak, didn't think it had anything to do with her being a woman though. Pretty sure she'll have a way better character in VIII.

5. Jedirush2112

Jedirush2112 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2013

Just wait til Episode VIII when the First Order Strikes Back! We're going to see a whole lot of Phasma! Remember Boba didn't do much in the OT either and people loved him.

6. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    U mean VIII? ;)

Jedirush2112 likes this.
  7. Miotas

Miotas Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 25, 2010
    I admit that I was unhappy because I wanted to see more of Phasma. However, this is just the first film. It has been confirmed that Phasma will have a bigger role in episode VIII. I'm sure in the next film she is going to make some people pay for that embarrassment. Possibly a throw down with Finn. We shall see.

8. Godzilla2099

Godzilla2099 Jedi Knight

Dec 19, 2015
    If that was Phasma that defeated Finn in that lightsaber duel instead of that stromtrooper, that would have made a strong impression. However, I read she'll be in the next movie with a larger role. More like a Boba Fett figure.

Phasma was lacking but Rey was beyond over the top. Feminism in overdrive.

"Oh yeah, I heard of the force."

A few hours later she's mind controlling the James Bond Stormtrooper and beats a Sith Wannabee who had actual training in a fight. (Yes, I'm aware Kylo Ren was wounded but come on! Rey never even held a lightsaber before)

9. Jedirush2112

Jedirush2112 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2013
    Yeah!

10. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Discuss in the main Phasma thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.