main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Captain Power Returns

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by The2ndQuest , Apr 20, 2011.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    An Official Facebook Page & Teaser Website has gone up announcing that Captain Power will be returning in 2012.

Not much in the way of details, but an introductory/restrospective video has gone up on youtube with Gary Goddard and JMS talking about the show.

Michael Reaves also dropped a line on the FB page:

I've written a helluva lot of TV. Some of it has been frankly horrible; most of has been simply a day's work for a day's wage. But a few I remember as having that spark, that sense of potential greatness. Those are the ones you remember with pride, and with gratitude at being not just allowed, but encouraged to push the envelope. Batman. Gargoyles. Ghostbusters. And Captain Power. I've still got my crew jacket. (And, even more amazingly, it still fits.)

Power On!

2. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    Ouch.
    The pain...
    The pain...
    I remeber watching that show once.

Once.

3. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    Oh, please. That show was dark, edgy and rose far above a mere 30-minute toy commercial. I welcome a revival and the old series will hopefully be released on DVD.

4. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It definitely aimed to be more than what it was probably intended to be by Mattel. If the show had been called "Team Iron Man vs Skynet" and aired in primetime without the toy-tie-in factets, it probably would have lasted a bit longer as there wouldn't have been much separating it from, say, TNG (or, at the very least, the original V).

It's also interesting in that this was one of the works by JMS that makes a reference to Babylon 5 (as JMS was beginning to develop B5 in the late 80's). The character "Tank" is from the "Babylon 5 Genetic Engineering Colony", and another character says the Koshism "And so it begins."

(another example, unrelated to CP, is in a novel JMS wrote in the 80's that has a character whose favorite show is stated to be Babylon 5)

5. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    Captain Planet, he's our hero
    Gonna take pollution down to zero

He's our powers magnified
    And he's fighting on the planet's side

Captain Planet, he's our hero
    Gonna take pollution down to zero

Gonna help him put asunder
    Bad guys who like to loot and plunder

"You'll pay for this Captain Planet!"

We're the Planeteers
    You can be one too
    'Cause saving our planet is the thing to do!

Looting and polluting is not the way
    Hear what Captain Planet has to say!

I always wanted to punch the tv when I heard that damn theme song.

6. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    I SO hope this is a joke...

7. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    I read the thread title wrong. I do really hate Captain Planet though.

8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Captain Planet was one of those shows everyone always tuned in for for the theme song, then turned off when they realized it sucked. Then, you'd think of the awesome theme song, and think maybe you should give it a second chance. then it would suck again. And the terrible pattern would continue.

Captain Power had a decidedly less catchy introduction but more successful with it's content ;).

9. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    *...just lost control of several bodily functions simultaneously...*

"EARTH, 2147...The Legacy of the Metal Wars...where man fought machines...and machines won..."

I can remember that opening verbatim to this very day.

There was a time when the fantasy universes ranked as follows: 1. Star Wars 2. Captain Power...

I can't even fathom getting back...and moreover, getting a fully realized project, not just a short lived toy showcase.

Oh man...this could save Science Fiction.

10. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    Oh, yeah. This was probably a lot of kids' intro to dystopic fiction-if that's even a word. ;) There's no going back, no reset button. Just picking up the pieces and sifting through the ashes.

I've read what JMS wanted to do with season two... and never did I hate executive meddling more...

11. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    I was thinking about a new cast if they reboot this...and it occurred to me that several members of the SG-U cast will be needing work, and could slip into several character roles quite well.

Lt. Scott becomes Captain Jonathan Power

TJ becomes "Pilot" Chase

Young becomes "Mentor" or "Hawk"

Rush becomes "Dread"

Greer becomes "Scout" (little more serious then the original, but I like his dark sense of humor better)

-------------

They need the work...it could be done!

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I somehow doubt they'll be getting Carlyle to don the proto-Borg outfit. ;)

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    So, it turns out it *was* for a DVD release- but the trailer mentions that they do hope this might be the first step towards a return of the show/concept.

Captain power: The Complete Series DVD trailer

JMS on FB: A bit more of a sneak peek at the Captain Power DVD (dumbest name in the history of TV but a decent show).

14. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    I might still have Captain Power's fighter jet somewhere at my mom's house.

I loved that stuff, but all I had was a video tape that came with the toy and was basically a game with a few live action pieces.

15. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    I had:

The XT-7
    [image=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/03/Captainpowerxt-7.JPG]

And the Interlocker, and the Power On Platform

Had all 3 Mission Cartoons...and "most" if not all the episodes of the show recorded from television.

I was a junky for this show.

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I never had any of the vehicles (but the one kid down the street did- but he was that one kid who got all the big, awesome toys like the B-Wing, coffee-table-sized GI Joe aircraft carrier, and that GI Joe space shuttle that piggybacked onto another, even larger, GI Joe space shuttle =P~) but I did have, and still have (in pretty good condition, loose) several of the action figures (Capt. power, the flying guy, Lord Dredd & the tank guy and the robot on treads).

17. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    I had the XT-7 and I think we had one of Lord Dredd's fighters. The power on platform and obviously Captain Power and Lord Dredd. A friend might have had some other figures. Never once saw the tv show. Not once.

18. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    I always wanted a Phantom Striker.

As I recall, once the craze of Captain Power wore off, the XT-7 made a nice addition to my Kenner Rebel Fleet. :p

The other toys didn't cross over as well.

19. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    The ejection seat thing was awesome, and the score system. I loved that stuff.

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    If the series makes a return, I think it'd be awesome if the toys did by way of a video game instead of a prerecorded video. An XT-7 wiimote add-on would be pretty sweet.

21. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    One problem with a reboot would be the tendency of reboots to be 'darker and edgier'. Problem is Captain Power was already dark as ****.

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I think they'd play down the campier elements (the title, for example, or some of the armor. or even the toys), but keep that tone.

23. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    Well I'm certain the armor would change...we are talking about an 80s property...nothing came out of that decade that wasn't a little absurd...myself included.[face_dancing]

As to the title, I could see it being slimmed down to "Captain Power"...where is comes to sci-fi names, it's only a step more grin worthy then "star______".

I could see a relaunch being very much in the Stargate vein...at least what Gate became...serious, but family friendly, with some mirth and lighthearted subtext to a bleak main line.

As such, I could totally see toys again...but as a distinct product...the show wouldn't work with toys. More videos...maybe some web stuff could serve that.

or.

Perhaps the show is re-edited to add in the toy effects for those wanting to purchase them, or when it's rerun. Besides, today, I'm sure there would be some kind of wireless connection to assure more accurate scores and the like.

-------

I also think Captain Power would be a solid video game property...the worldspace, enemies, bosses...it screams video game. You could do it as a FPS...but I'd rather see an open world game...something like Fallout 3, but with Bio-Dreads.

24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
  25. WormieSaber

WormieSaber Jedi Master star 5

Oct 22, 2000
    I've heard quite a lot about this series and might pick it up. Yeah, loved the toys.