main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Roch, NY Car Wash Sept 13th

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by lgtsbr, Aug 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lgtsbr

lgtsbr Jedi Master star 4

Nov 4, 2002
    Ok - I only have schetchy details here - but Chris is going to chime in with more details (hint, hint ;))

The Car Wash/Fundraiser is a go for Saturday Sept 13th

We do need a list of who will be there! Gotta have workers for this ;)

We as a group had kicked around the idea of a bake sale as well as a car wash - any thoughts on that???

We are going to have to take time and make signs, get buckets, sponges, car wash bubbles, and I am sure other stuff that my last brain cell can't think of right now (it jumped and committed suicide this morning)

Ok - suggest and discuss away

2. HothGirl

HothGirl Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 23, 2002

I can help with signs and stuff, but I can't commit to that date at this point in time.

When I find out if my friends wedding reception is that day, I'll let you know.

3. DarthCrambette

DarthCrambette Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 6, 2002
    It occured to me this morning that on the 13th I've already promised to altar serve for the jubilee mass for one of the nuns at my church. The Mass is at 2. I don't think it will be that long, but whether I can help or not will be dependent on what time the car wash is going to be. I can do whatever you need help with beforehand though.

4. TheEmperorsHand

TheEmperorsHand Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 27, 2000
    Well as far as I know Nicky and I have a Cross Country meet that day (we're gonna have them every Saturday starting September 6 until the end of October) but that should just be in the morning, depending on what time our race goes off.... I'll have to check on it anyway, but we could maybe come later on...

5. lgtsbr

Nov 4, 2002
    So - this is a bust???? Can anybody do this????

We all need to sit down with calendars and plan our events - cause we have no funds of any kind for the club right now.

6. Mara-Jade-Skywalker

Mara-Jade-Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 21, 2000
    Well, our races are usually in the morning so anything we plan in the afternoon would probably be ok for me and Alison. ;)

7. Otto_den_Ktulu

Otto_den_Ktulu North Ridge Event Coordinator star 5

Jan 19, 2002
    Ok, well here are the details as I know them. We have the 13th reserved for us, water rates are $3 every thousand gallons we use, so we won't be spending a whole heck of a lot there. We have to supply our own hose, which I can do, our own spongues, towels, soap, waxing soap is best to use, and this will be strictly outside. The trustees don't want outside groups inside the building, I'm allowed in obviously, cause I'm the pastor's son, so if we need anything that we can get in the church, I'll be the errand boy. As for times, I was thinking 10am, but seeing as the sisters have their meets, how bout we make it 11am, so that everyone can be there. Kaitlyn can be there for a little while before she has to leave before 2. There's only one faucet handle for all the hose faucets outside the building, so we'll have to tell the janitor, Bob, what time we're planning on, so I can get the handle from him, and come an hour early to set up. Sound good?

8. MaxReBoot11

MaxReBoot11 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 13, 2003
    I can be there to help out, I just need a ride to and from. And I still think it would be fun to sew up a qwicky few "Jawa" hand towels or something, to put the FUN in FUNction! ;) I may just do that on my own for the heck of it :)

Sorry I haven't been making meetings... I have had, unfortuneately, a couple other priorities. But I'm fairly definitely sure I can do the car wash.
    ~Molly

9. lgtsbr

Nov 4, 2002
    Ok - friendly bump!

Who can work the car wash - I figure we need at least 4-6 people at any given time in order to make this work

2 - Wash Cars
    2 - Dry Cars
    2 - Signs

Lets find out who can commit to this

10. BWD912zeta

BWD912zeta Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 26, 2002
    well once i can figure out a ride i can do it whenever

11. Otto_den_Ktulu

Jan 19, 2002
    If you desperatly need rides, I can pick you up :D

12. lgtsbr

Nov 4, 2002
    I think we can all help with rides

we just need the commitments from people to work - if you can only be there part time that is cool cause I am sure the people who will be there full time will need a break

13. Otto_den_Ktulu

Jan 19, 2002
    Well, this can't happen without me being there, my church won't allow it. So I'll be there the entire time ;)

14. MaxReBoot11

MaxReBoot11 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 13, 2003
    I can definitely commit to washing and/or drying cars, either is fine with me... given a ride. :)

I think it might be fun to have the sign holders in costume-- for fun, appeal, and just generally to grab attention! lol ~M

15. DarthCrambette

DarthCrambette Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 6, 2002
    I should be able to come until about 12:30 or so. The mass/reception is supposed to be finished at 4:30 at the latest so depending on how late we run it I might be able to come back but chances are we won't be going late enough to make it worth it.

16. Otto_den_Ktulu

Jan 19, 2002
    Hmm, we should probably try and figure out how long we actually wanna be there. 'Cause if Kait comes back after her service ends at 4:30, that'll be like 5, do we really wanna be there for more than 6 hours?

17. STAR-WARS-FREAK-JPB

STAR-WARS-FREAK-JPB Jedi Master star 4

May 27, 2001
    Where is the church? I will try and get Sat. off from my second job. I hope we get enough people to show up. How much are we going to charge?

18. Otto_den_Ktulu

Jan 19, 2002
    The church is right in the middle of Chili Center. I will post directions from downtown later, cause I need to double check them. :D

I believe the charge is a donation, so they pay however much they wish to pay, or can pay.

19. HothGirl

Dec 23, 2002
    Did we figure out an end time for this yet? I think we decided at the meeting to meet at ten and start at eleven (or was it nine and ten?)...

Just wanted to check because I have to be on my way to Wellsville at four.

20. STAR-WARS-FREAK-JPB

STAR-WARS-FREAK-JPB Jedi Master star 4

May 27, 2001
    I have an eye exam at 10am so hopefully I can be there by noon.

21. Padawan_adri

Padawan_adri Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 14, 2001
    I'll be there

22. HothGirl

Dec 23, 2002
    Well...I'd still like to know if there was a time decided for when this will end. And if there wasn't, one needs to be chosen soon I'd guess.

Another thing we need to decide is if we want people in costume at some point holding the signs. Since it wouldn't be fair to have just the people that currently have costumes holding the signs all day and not helping wash the cars, maybe those that wanted to wear their costumes for a while and hold signs could do that for an hour or something then switch off and wash cars for a while. I just think we need to talk a bit more about this since it's this weekend.

And of course, if people have them, Star Wars shirts might be good to wear. ;)

23. lgtsbr

Nov 4, 2002
    Ok - being there wasn't any straight answers Ryan and I made some executive decisions.

We are starting at 10am sharp. We will go till 4pm unless we get a huge influx of cars that forces us to stay later (Ryan and Katie have to leave at 4 sharp).

As far as costumes - I don't think full costumes are a good idea for a couple reasons:
    1 - Unless Katie pulls off a miracle (which I know she seems to always be able to do :D) the only people to my knowledge that have full costumes are Ryan and Katie - and it isn't fair to have them hold signs all day

2 - Having people get in and out of costumes will be hell especially if we have a huge influx of cars

So - maybe if someone has a trooper helmet or something to that nature they could wear that - I wouldn't advise full costumes.

Now t-shirts - that is probably the best thing we can do. If you have a club or SW shirt - wear it.

As far as help - this is the list I have now:

Full Time:
    1 - Ryan
    2 - Katie
    3 - Dave
    4 - Chris
    5 - Adri
    6 - John
    7 - Matt
    8 - Molly (pending a ride)

Part Time
    1 - Kait
    2 - Jeff
    3 - Nicky
    4 - Ali

Did I miss anyone?

Does anyone that is on either list need to change lists? - remember we need at least 6 full time at all times to make this happen.

We need to come up with a list of supplies we need - buckets, towels, sponges, car wash juice, tire juice, brushes - stuff like that - cause we need to be organized - right?

Should we have a promotional flier of some kind to hand out?

Dave

24. HothGirl

Dec 23, 2002
    Hence why I said in that post the people in costumes wouldn't be holding signs all day - an hour or so or something - simply because it wouldn't be fair. Anyway...I just wanted to check.

And for the record, Matt and Chris's costumes WILL be wearable by Saturday. The only things that will have to be done is put velcro on the obi and sew the tabbards to the obi (if they chose to assemble it that way). The ties for the tunics aren't necessary to wear the costumes as the velcro isn't necessary either (just makes life a tad easier if you'll be moving around), a safety pin will work if it's needed. (Speaking of velcro...someone's going to have to pick some up since I'm not near a JoAnn's and can't get the bigger stuff that's needed...)

One other thing I thought of while reading your post Dave, is that people are going to need breaks. I physically can not work from 10am until 4pm without taking fifteen or twenty minutes to get something to eat (Chris said there's a Wendy's next door so food shouldn't be an issue). If it's hot we'll have to be careful people don't over heat as well.

25. lgtsbr

Nov 4, 2002
    I totally agree - breaks are definately needed

The costume thing is just my opinion - if someone wants to wear theirs then I say go for it :D

I just think we need 6 bodies working at all times - otherwise we may have problems - we may want to have a cooler and some water bottles or gatoraide - this way there is no dehydration or overheating issues

Dave

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.