main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Carbonite Daze

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Jedi Gunny, May 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    Why, in ROTJ, could Han not see after being freed from the carbonite? It would seem as if he could regain his sight quickly, but instead he could barely see at the Pit of Carkoon, which presumeably was much later in the day. Why did it take so long?

2. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    He had carbonite sickness. Temporary blindness is just one of the symptoms.

3. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    Yeah, when you haven't used your eyes for a good long while, there is generally some side effects.

4. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Have you ever been frozen in carbonite for a year? Temporary blindness is one of the side-effects. The longer you're frozen, the longer the blindness lasts.

Think of it like turning on the lights as soon as you wake up in the morning. It takes your eyes a few moments to adjust to the brightness. Han was more or less asleep for a year. His blindness makes perfect sense.

5. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    All right, that makes sense. I guess it was kind of a dumb question, wasn't it?

6. -polymath-

-polymath- SFF:F/TV Trivia Host star 4 VIP - Game Host

Jun 7, 2007
    Han's state wasn't one of sleep or of a coma, rather it was a big, blank nothingness. I believe he was conscious the entire time he was in carbonite...or that he was at least somehow aware of his surroundings.

Anyone have EU cites for this?

7. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    I believe there was an EU book where Han vaguely recalled what being frozen was like, but I don't think he was awake/aware for the entire year.

8. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    I've heard something to the effect before, and i've also heard that some folks sometimes go mad from being frozen for too long.

Sintas Vel was pretty screwed up from being frozen in carbonite, but she got some good healing done and she recovered.

9. Hootini

Hootini Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 20, 2006
    Wouldn't if Han was awake for the whole year he would have died of dehydration and/or starvation? Or go crazy at least. I don't see how that's even possible. He had to have been completely frozen.

10. CHUNKY_THE_HUTT

CHUNKY_THE_HUTT Jedi Youngling

May 24, 2008
    After he lost all hope and glory when he realised his reigning Carbonite Champion Trophy was about to be stricken from him, He lost all sight on his goals and paths.

11. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    Somehow he survived the process; personally, I don't see how. Being frozen into hibernation should kill a person. But hey, this is SW; anything can happen.

12. rsterling78

rsterling78 Jedi Knight star 5

May 26, 2002
    I never quite understood the whole plan to freeze Luke in carbonite for transport to the Emperor. Wouldn't surrounding him with stormtroopers with their weapons set for stun followed by intravenous sedation after he's been blaster-stunned be a little more practical?

Hell, the Ewoks captured him and several others with a net made of vines!

13. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    Normal sedation might wear off too quickly. Carbonite Daze might make the seduction so much easier. Also, it probably has a pretty good psychological effect.

14. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    Luke didn't want to fight the ewoks.:)

As far as Vader trying to freeze Skywalker, it would be an easier way to transport a jedi, since they can detoxify poisons and drugs if they are skilled enough, and good use of telekinesis would take care of the stormies. At that point in his life, Luke wasn't going to come quietly

15. JedimasterMoon

JedimasterMoon Jedi Padawan star 4

May 4, 2005
    =D=

Its always the simple things that fool em.

16. Delorean_Kenobi

Delorean_Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Mar 14, 2003
    Well, these were the same Ewoks who defeated the Imperials with rocks, logs and vines.

17. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    Ewoks: The chosen people of the Kyle Katarn a.k.a the gffa's God of War.

18. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    Fact: Ewoks are actually made of the hairs that Kyle Katarn trims off his beard each morning.

19. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    So ewoks are really walking carpets? Hmm...never thought of that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.