main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Carida Avenged: Unnatural Selection (AU/Thriller/Drama)Solos,L/M,TK,Zekk,O/Cs **COMPLETE**

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by PadmeLeiaJaina, Dec 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    Alright guys, so I'm trying to get this story done - last chapters will probably be longer than we've had for a while.

Here's todays - Back to Kashyyyk.

Also - please check out the link in my signature - I'm heading a petition to get Hasbro to bring back the 12" Portrait Edition line of SW dolls!

Enjoy!

Chapter 54

Brukos deactivated the lamps on his chair and settled down onto the soft Kashyyyk floor. The absolute darkness enveloped him. He closed his eyes, knowing that they would distract him from attuning his other senses. Slowly, Brukos inhaled a large lungful of air through his nostrils. They detected the overpowering clean smell of dirt and earth. A second whiff picked out the lingering odor of body sweat.

Fear reaction, he thought.

Then he listened further into the surrounding forest. The buzzing of insects and soft cries of birds had returned to the area. A small rodent crashed through the underbrush twenty feet to his left. The man then lifted his chin and opened his eyes again, into the tree canopy. In the blackness, he saw the faint flicker of light from the glowrod that he had left behind. He strained his sight to take in a 360 degrees view of the surrounding forest. A faint light spec illuminated a tree deeper into the forest.

A small grin came over his lips as he thought, Perhaps Han left me a light trail.

His fingers hovered over his chair?s controls, ready to reactivate his lights when his ears detected a strange crackling sound becoming louder and louder from behind his position. Swiftly he spun his chair about and instantly had two blasters raised, ready to fight. The noise intensified and Brukos noticed that a faint glow had began to brighten as the objects producing the sound approached. Suddenly, the entire area was swarming with twelve-footed winged Can-Cels. The immense dragonflies, native to Kashyyyk, blurred past him and then swooped together as one and charged in his direction. Brukos flooded the area with his lamps, illuminating the winged creatures. A smile spread over his face as he realized that the creatures weren?t alone.

From the back of one of the insects, Pugh craned her neck and stared down at her boss. ?Where are the others?? she shouted.

?Missing. Thank goodness you?re here. Who else is with you?? Brukos asked, raising his chair to eye level of the Can-Cels. Pugh?s insects giant bulbous eyes blinked rapidly as it examined his flying machine.

Chief Councilman Muulacca?s Bothan translator spoke up from his beast?s back. ?We are here with some rather persistent young Wookiees who insisted in joining in on the flower hunt, especially when they heard that you?d be touching down in Kinrath territory. This here is Sirrakuk, Jedi Master Lowbacca?s younger sister, her friends Tunaruth and Porlataff. And this is Lumpacca and his friends Rowwulus and Kartlufft.?

Brukos scrutinized the middle wookiee. He was wiry, mahogany fur colored, and sporting a large mohawk on his head. The wookiee wore spiked neck and wrist bands. ?Lumpacca? Aren?t you???

?Yes, Lumpy?s Chewbacca?s son,? Pugh quickly said. ?When he heard that his father was here on another mission, he insisted on joining in on the fun as he calls it.? Brukos waved to everyone. ?Come on, I?ve got a special strap here on my Can-Cel?s back to hook your chair to.?

Brukos whirred over the bug-eyed Can-Cel and attached his chair. A quick examination of the six wookiees, the Bothan, and even Pugh showed Brukos that they were all heavily armed with blasters and thermal detonators.

Lumpacca roared a question at him. The Bothan translated, ?He would like to know what happened to his father.?

?Kinrath?s got him, Han, Lando, and Fest. The other driver, R?Tadosh, was killed. I think Han?s still alive. He left a boot down there, and up in the trees I found a glowrod. I thought I detected another faint glow in that direction,? Brukos explained, pointing where he saw the dim light.

Lumpy and Sirra both raised their fists and mig

2. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    Let's hope they get enough of those flowers to cure everybody. *fingers crossed*

Those spiders were creepy. *cringe* At least Han and company got free of the webbing even if they are being chased by angry spiders.

3. Agent_Jaid

Agent_Jaid Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 21, 2003
    meep..... *wails* Rum ruins things?! Heh, doesn't surprise me. :D I love the update Goddess!!!

*is locked up by her brother*

:( ............ :_|

Why??? I'd be a good Empress... I would.... I really really would....

:( *wibbles/wails*

:(

4. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    Yay! They've got more flowers!

Oh, man. That whole trek to find everyone was creepy. And yeah, I've got a bad feeling too.

Up!

5. Tych_sel

Tych_sel Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    Wonderfully creepy post there, PLJ. Reminded somewhat of Frodo's situation after his encounter with Shelob. Now I can only hope that they can get their hands on the flower, and then get back to Hapes.

Force be with you,

Tych_sel

6. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Hey guys! Thanks for nominating Ben Skywalker as best Child in Fic - now I just have to find a chapter where he's too adorable for words to submit :p

7. Agent_Jaid

Feb 21, 2003
    HE MADE IT!?!?! :D YEEEEEEEEEES!!! HURRAY HURRAY HURRAY!!!!!!!!!!!! He made it he maaaaaaade it he maaaaaaaade it!! *dances*

:eek: One where he's reading would be good.... [face_batting]

8. Altaira

Altaira Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 11, 2002
    Yay for the wookies! Good trip down for the Kinrath?s. That rum works wonders, :D it must be like taco bell sauce. Han, being Correllian may have a hard time living that one down, at least he?s living!

At every turn they manage more trouble. I hope Brukos is not too careless in his need to get the flowers. And, I hope that he checks his back for gigantic things! [face_worried] The flowers would look like paradise after that hard journey.

Good rescue but I think Brukos may need some rescuing after this. :eek:

Congrats on the nom! I like him when he keeps leaving his novel around. Though what he did on the lizard was not his shining moment. [face_laugh] His struggle in mastering the force is good too. It is hard being in Luke?s shadow. So many to choose from. :)

9. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Hi Guys,

So a few updates here - Scott's going on vacation for a good chunk of July - so we may not get many posts this next month. I think I'm only down to about 5 or so chapters in this story though, so it won't take tooo long for me to finish it.

Onto other news, I just spent a good chunk of money at IKEA yesterday and hopefully by the end of the week I'll have my office completely set up! [face_dancing] My own little sanctuary and shrine to all things glorious created by GL! I don't have DSL, nor a new computer yet, but at least I'll have my own place to write. So anywhoo, just giving you all a heads up! :)

10. qingauk

qingauk Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 12, 2002
    Oh yeah..I finally got here.. good fun with the rum!! Pretty exciting..now they have the flowers.. what about Luke? What is he up to? Or did I miss something important?

11. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Hi everyone! Just FYI, Mr_Beta_Jango [face_love] is back from his vacation so I'm going to see about getting the next chapter done this week and send it off to him. There should only be a few more chapters after that and CA:US will be over.

I'm then thinking that I want to crank out the first 10 chapters or so of part 2 before I start posting the next part - but I'll keep you all updated on when I'm ready to start posting it.

12. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Alright folks - wait is over...back to Nephron....

Chapter 55

Raven hustled to the flight deck cradling her limp charge in her arms. The further she moved through the ship, the more she noticed a sharp rise of activity from the personnel. Twice she had to quickly sidestep to get away from retreating officers, hell bent on reaching their destinations. Confusion knitted her brows together over this strange behavior.

Quickly she turned into the hanger bay and felt her jaw drop, the entire area looked like a war zone. To the left side of the hanger a half squadron of Tie-Fighters had been squashed under the heavy overhanging durasteel structures that had crashed down from the ceiling above. She also noticed that a wing from one of the Tie-Fighters had crashed clear through the front observation window of The Jade Saber, the ship was grounded. Amazingly Serenity appeared to be undamaged. She winced as a powerful jolt of lightning crashed through the hanger, igniting the room with fiery energy. From Luke?s broken craft, Raven saw a very frantic See-Threepio and Artoo-Deetoo emerge.

She shouted, ?Get over to Serenity! And hurry!!?

?Oh Mistress Raven, we are so pleased to see you! I thought we were done for in there!? Threepio wailed as he trailed after her climbing up the platform of the ship.

?Close the hatch. What happened?? she demanded as she placed Shanari?s body down in the relaxing deck area and quickly unzipped the bag. She threw off her helmet and then removed Shanari?s. The girl continued to sleep.

?It appears that the electromagnetic shields that protected the hanger bay failed after receiving three consecutive direct hits from the storm outside. Artoo connected himself into the com panel in the hanger bay and discovered that systems are failing all over the ship!? Threepio reported.

?Wonderful,? Raven mumbled, strapped the girl securely into a seat and then raced towards the cockpit. The view from the cockpit didn?t improve the situation any. Outside the damage appeared to be even farther reaching. She narrowed her eyes as an electronic discharge from the lighting system caused a brilliant explosion overhead. The lights flickered out. Raven watched as another giant ceiling panel dangled precariously over her ship.

?What?re the odds that we?re going to get killed staying in here?? she asked.

Threepio stared at her apprehensively and asked, ?Was that a rhetorical question, Mistress Raven??

?No, I want to know Threepio, should we stay in here, or take our chances out in the storm??

For once in his life, Threepio was stunned into silence.

?Answer me!? Raven demanded.

?I apologize, Mistress Raven, I am just overwhelmed by your generosity for seeking my flawless analysis of the situation, for you see General Solo usually just tells me to shu??

?Fine! Shut up then!? she snarled. Scratching her head, Raven apprehensively watched the lightning outside. She whispered, ?I can dodge the bolts outside, but we?re sitting ducks in here. One more bolt in here and our ship?s going to get crushed.?

?Oh dear, isn?t that a bit rash? I would?ve suggested staying here. Even with the systems being unpredictable at least we?ll be somewhat protected here. The odds of surviving long exposure to the Nephron atmosphere are six thousand eighty-nine to one,? Threepio argued.

?Decision?s been made, strap yourself in,? Raven ordered as she slapped her restraints home and then fired up Serenity?s repulsor engines. All the while her eyes remained on the rapidly swinging ceiling pane above and she nervously gulped. When the ready lights on the ship?s dash activated, she quickly fired up the engines, and activated all shields, then lifted the ship above the deck and shot towards the hanger bay. A heavy object crashed against her shields and bounced off of it. Heart hammering in her chest, Raven knew they escaped with only a scratch.

?Mistress Raven,? Threepio tentatively asked.

?Yes?? Raven clung tighter onto the flight controls and helm as the gale-force wi

13. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    Wow, Luke kicked some major butt! Good for him, too. Brakiss deserved that.

So, a new Dark Lord of the Sith? I do hope he kicks Jacen's butt. I don't even know why, but I want Luke to completely humble both Jacen and Raven.

Awesome post, PLJ. Up!

14. RebelMom

Apr 20, 2000
    I loved Luke kicking major butt here, even though he was at a disadvantage.

What's this about Brakiss not being the one to fear? You just had to confuse the issue here didn't you?

15. Altaira

Altaira Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 11, 2002
    Loved Raven wanting 3PO?s odds, [face_laugh]and him unable to function with the request. He missed his only chance. :D

That was not the most dignified fight but Luke got the job done! =D= This was self-defense even if he enjoyed the end at bit much, [face_devil] Jedi or not he is human and Brakiss did go for the heart. Oh, well. I still luv him.

I do tend to agree with the late Brakiss, it will be hard for Luke to separate his actions with or without the force and if he can that may be worse. Still great to have him out-saber Brakiss and get a little midi-tickle. :) I don?t blame Luke at all but I?m not a galactic hero. [face_mischief] It is still worrisome that he thinks without the force his actions and hate are acceptable... He has fallen off the pedestal. Just have to wonder how far. [face_worried] Good words from Brakiss about another...

NIce chaotic post, well worth the wait. ;)

16. Master_Jaina1011

Master_Jaina1011 Jedi Master star 4

May 20, 2002
    If I remember correctly... I loved your previous stories and apprarently I have missed out PadmeLeiaJaina... I am back and should be full force once i move into my apartment again. So I should be able to read all of stories once again soon! [face_dancing]

If you don't remember me I haven't been here in awhile and i miss it!!!

But so far so good PLJ!

~Master_Jaina

17. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Striker

So, a new Dark Lord of the Sith? I do hope he kicks Jacen's butt. I don't even know why, but I want Luke to completely humble both Jacen and Raven.

Well Luke fought and killed Brakiss w/o using the Force. In essence he killed him rather like Han did. The moral dilemma over what he did though will most likely haunt our straight as an arrow hero.

As for Jacen and Raven?remember this is the first chapter in a trilogy?that?s all I?m saying [face_mischief]

RebelMom

What's this about Brakiss not being the one to fear? You just had to confuse the issue here didn't you?

LOL! [face_laugh] You didn?t honestly think that weasely BRAKISS was the real bad guy do you? [face_mischief]

Altaira

Loved Raven wanting 3PO?s odds, and him unable to function with the request. He missed his only chance.

LOL! Well you know, I felt the need for some Threepio torture ? my stories just aren?t complete w/o it :D

This was self-defense even if he enjoyed the end at bit much, Jedi or not he is human and Brakiss did go for the heart.

I thought it was kinda nice to have Luke actually get to avenge his family for once considering it always seems like the Universe is out to get them.

It is still worrisome that he thinks without the force his actions and hate are acceptable... He has fallen off the pedestal. Just have to wonder how far.

Ahhhh yess?should make for interesting consequences, eh? Remind you of anyone?

I shouldn?t have done that, he was an unarmed prisoner?it?s not the Jedi way.

Master_Jaina

:eek: :eek: [:D] Welcome back darling! You have a very unique way of always finding exactly when I?m about ready to close up a story and jump in at the every end :p

You can catch up on all of my stories by reading them on my website

So happy to have one of the flock return [face_love]

Heads up to everyone ? only ONE full chapter left after this and then an epilogue. This story ended up taking FAR longer than I?d planned thanks to moving, looking for work, not having constant internet access?etc, etec. I?m hoping that things will really work out so that part 2 will get written MUCH faster for you all. I have most of CA Part 2 mapped out in my head so it should get written fairly quickly.

Thank you all so much for sticking by me?and to let you know?this story is ONLY the beginning. Get ready for hell ahead? [face_devil]

18. qingauk

qingauk Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 12, 2002
    OHH>>> lots of fighting and mystery.. another bad guy? .. so many woven patterns we have! At least I caught up with what Luke was doing! Very good.. waiting for the next chapter, I am..

New Mexico was warm and dry.. very dry so I drank a lot of water. At least it did not have this humidity.. yucky stuff.

19. Ylesly

Ylesly Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 9, 2004
    Brakiss finally got what was coming to him. Luke wiped the floor and used Brakiss as the mop. Great post!

20. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Qingauk

OHH>>> lots of fighting and mystery.. another bad guy? .. so many woven patterns we have! At least I caught up with what Luke was doing! Very good.. waiting for the next chapter, I am..

Oh yes, you didn't honestly think that BRAKISS was the mastermind behind this? :eek: This story certainly tested my story weaving abilities - bleh too many characters doing too many things and too long to write it! I think part 2 won't be quite as conveluted.

New Mexico was warm and dry.. very dry so I drank a lot of water. At least it did not have this humidity.. yucky stuff.

I could use some dry weather :( We're in monsoon season here which means thunderstorms and humidity. Humidity w/ 90-100 degree days is not pleasant :mad:

Ylesly

LOL! Great description of the battle [face_laugh]

I'm just waiting for the final chapter and Epilogue to be betaed - hopefully I'll have them posted no later than early next week. Then CARIDA AVENGED Part 1: UNNATURAL SELECTION is DONE! [face_dancing] Only took me 1 year and 8 months to finish the stinking thing [face_sick]

21. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Hello again...I have a surprise for you all...CA:US is now finished! [face_dancing] Come on in to read the last chapter and Epilogue!

:D

Chapter 56

Brukos hovered towards the edge of the sea of flowers, his finger poised and ready over his blaster?s trigger. Slowly he sniffed the air and listened for any warning signs of danger. Not sensing anything, he reached down the side of his hoverchair and slipped his vibroblade into the fresh earth and uprooted three flowers. He shook the extra dirt off of the roots and then continued to dig up six more plants.

Satisfied that nine flowers should more than be enough for Danni, he placed his fingers on his controls, readying himself to leave.

A small strangled shriek from Pugh was his only warning of immanent danger. A giant prickly paw slammed onto the floor beside his chair causing it to nearly topple over on its side.

Brukos shot the forward thrusters on his chair, then spun and faced his enemy. His eyes opened wide and he felt his mouth go immediately dry as a fifty foot tall Kinrath emerged out of the forest.

Comprehension dawned on him that this must be the mother of all of the creatures in the jungle. Rapidly her front incisors slashed back and forth as she screamed with raging fury. The air filled with the foul stench of her breath. Brukos had never feared a single creature before in his hunting days, but icy jolts of terror coursed through his body seeing this massive opponent. All he could think about was the fact that he was going to fail his friends if he died.

His mind spun in overdrive. He could lure the spider deeper into the field of flowers, giving Pugh and the others time to gather more and complete the mission. As the thought entered his mind, he saw Pugh slowly lower her Can-Cel behind the mother. She dipped over the side of her dragonfly and examined the flowers closely. Brukos saw her brown eyes widen as she gestured wildly at the flowers, then pointed at her eyeballs, then towards him.

Taking one eye off the angry mother, he examined the flowers in his lap. Looking closely at them he realized that they were crawling w/ tiny, baby kinraths.

?Oh Sithspit,? he cursed. ?I?m in the nest.? The mother challenged him w/ another blood curdling scream. Very slowly, Brukos extended his arm and showed her the flowers. Her bulging six eyes focused in on his arm. Gently, he tapped the flowers on top of ones that were still planted, and knocked the babies off. Carefully he examined the flowers and saw them to be Kinrath free and turned them upside-down to show her that her children were no longer there.

The creature didn?t seem to care or understand his pantomiming and began to rapidly pick her way through the flower beds straight towards him. Brukos shoved the flowers at his side raised his blaster at the creature. Images of the acid burned botanist emerged in his mind as she loomed over him. He was in the splatter zone if he shot her.

?Whatever you?re going to do, you?d better do it quick,? Pugh warned in a high pitched voice. Movement caught in the corners of his eyes alerted Brukos that the pursuing Kinraths had now surrounded them. Nervous sweat poured down his face.

Quickly he punched his left side access port and extracted a flamethrower. Deftly he flicked it on and the smell of acrid gas touched his nose. He pointed the flamethrower towards the sky and then activated it. Bright, hot serpentine wisps of fire danced towards the Mother Kinrath.

She screamed in outrage.

Then he pointed it towards the flowers.

She screamed even louder.

Brukos knew that he had finally got through to her.

Suddenly something dropped out of the sky and landed on the mother Kinrath?s back. Brukos watched her whirl and writhe as Rowwulus and Kartlufft, Lumpacca?s friends, raced up and down the creature?s back stabbing her backbone region with vibroblades.

The spider wailed in agony and annoyance. Brukos took the moment of distraction to bolt through her long front legs towards freedom. The gian

22. Agent_Jaid

Feb 21, 2003
    :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

GODDESS!!!!!!!!!!!!

0_0

YOU MADE THE BAD GUY THE GOOD GUY WHO IS THE BAD GUY AND THE AND THE GOOD GUY WHO WAS THE GOOD GUY INTO THE EVILEST OF ALL BAD GUYS?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

WHAT AM I GOING TO DO WHAT OH WHAT OH WHAT??!?!?!? *shriek*

EVERYONE IS DIEING AND PAINFULNESS IS EVERYWHERE AND THEY ARE GOING TO HURT AND JAINA'S TWINS AND POOR ZEKK AND LUKE ( yay! ^_^ Jedi Luke!) IS GOOD BUT HOW LONG CAN THAT LAST?!?!?!? there must be side effects....

DANNI SOMETHING IS WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

....Please don't hurt Ben. :(

23. RebelMom

Apr 20, 2000
    Yeah! It is finished. @};- Congrats on finishing a wonderful story. :( Poor Mara. it will be hard for her, but at least she knows how to defend herself without the Force. I think not having the connection to her family will be the worst.

24. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    Oh, wow.

Well, some of the Jedi... are no longer Jedi. Mara? And Zekk??

Nice name for the new kid. And kriffin' loved Luke slapping Jacen like that.

Purity Control? I don't like the sound of that...

25. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Jaid

YOU MADE THE BAD GUY THE GOOD GUY WHO IS THE BAD GUY AND THE AND THE GOOD GUY WHO WAS THE GOOD GUY INTO THE EVILEST OF ALL BAD GUYS?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Well, I wouldn?t? exactly call Brakiss a good guy.

EVERYONE IS DIEING AND PAINFULNESS IS EVERYWHERE AND THEY ARE GOING TO HURT AND JAINA'S TWINS AND POOR ZEKK AND LUKE ( yay! ^_^ Jedi Luke!) IS GOOD BUT HOW LONG CAN THAT LAST?!?!?!? there must be side effects....

Hummm?.Jaina doesn?t have twins darling ? TK/Anakin have Triplets. Jaina DOES have/will have 2 daughters though ? 3 years apart.

Zekk?s situation is pretty sad though. :(

Luke is back to the light again ;)

DANNI SOMETHING IS WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hummm?. [face_mischief]

..Please don't hurt Ben.

This constant fear that I?m going to abuse poor Ben. *Sigh*

RebelMom

Congrats on finishing a wonderful story.

Thank you [face_blush]

Poor Mara. it will be hard for her, but at least she knows how to defend herself without the Force. I think not having the connection to her family will be the worst.

That most certainly will be a problem for her. How does one cope w/ basically losing a big part of themselves? I would think losing one?s connection to the Force would be as painful as losing a use of a limb (Brukos.)

Get ready for VERY interesting plot twists ahead [face_mischief]

Striker

Well, some of the Jedi... are no longer Jedi. Mara? And Zekk??

Yep, both are no longer Jedi :(

And kriffin' loved Luke slapping Jacen like that.

LOL! Poor Jacen, I guess anyone who?s just overly happy all of the time deserves a good slapping :p

Purity Control? I don't like the sound of that...

As you should NOT [face_devil]

Thank you all for sticking by me ? even if this did take an eternity to write. I?m hoping that I?ll get the prologue for part 2 up next week :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.