main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Carmageddon 2: Carmageddon

Discussion in 'Community' started by solojones, Sep 28, 2012.

1. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    This weekend 10 miles of the nation's busiest freeway, the 405 in LA, is closing again.

Last year, no one got on the road so it was the lightest traffic in memory. I suspect this might lead to too much optimism this weekend and thus traffic. My roommate has to work in Santa Monica on Saturday and we live on the other side of the city. I pity her.

Personally, I got out and am in Santa Barbara for the weekend. I saw signs warning of the closure on the 101 as far north as Oxnard, which is 80 miles away or so.

2. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    I hope you had actual plans to be in Santa Barbara this weekend, and didn't just go there because of this Carmageddon business. :p Though the tearing down of the remainder of that Mulholland Dr. bridge may take a bit longer than what happened last year, I suspect that what happened last summer will indeed happen again this weekend: there will not be a single traffic problem. Despite the L.A. geek in me getting all sorts of excited last year with the hype about this, it did get to be too much/ridiculous when the time came for the closure... the joy this time around is hearing the folks over at KFI (radio) making fun of Carmageddon II. I did try earlier tonight (as this exact stretch of the 405 is how me & a dear friend get to our favorite hookah spot here in town) to get a picture of that bridge, but failed miserably. :p Having gone to this hookah spot so many times over the past year, there have been many nights where we had to take detours/alternate exits to get/eventually leave there. Tonight was the first time in quite awhile in which we were able to use the normal exit/entrance, and we were very pleased by that.

3. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I know everyone thinks it'll be fine this time. But I worry that attitude will make it worse :p

And yeah I already had plans to go to SB. I just went a little early.

4. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    At least your state actually warned you long in advance and had a plan in place for closing the highway. Virginia on the other hand.

5. cipe

cipe Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 2, 2012
  6. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Come to Corona and get a tattoo with me and DWH!!

7. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    I so wish I was there for Carmageddon. I still regret not buying the tshirts being sold for the first round.

8. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Looks like another clear traffic day on the 405. Not so much the 5 but hey, the 5 is usually awful.

9. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Thank God. I was so wor-- I-)

10. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

My biggest issue with the 5 is the Stadium Way (for Dodger Stadium) exit... for whatever reason, there's a thru traffic lane before the actual off ramp, so you have to cross 2 lines to get off the freeway instead of 1. It's a big pain in the ass.*

*For whoever is driving that day for the game, since I yet possess a license/an automobile.
    :p

11. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeah but that makes it easy to scoot over and go around traffic there when the freeway is busy. Not that I'd ever do that ;)

The real 5 problems are in the south towards Orange County.

Can I confess now I mostly wanted to make this thread so that I could make the AD reference?

12. Condition2SQ

Condition2SQ Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    The 5 between downtown and the 605 is almost always awful. The 710 to the 91 is a useful shortcut if you're trying to get to the coast.